PDA

View Full Version : Denver Nuggets 08-09 Season Thread

NuGGeTs-FaN
09-26-2008, 11:38 AM
Roll call!! Time for the team to finally win more than one playoff game! :downspin:

http://static.howstuffworks.com/gif/willow/cricket-info0.gif

Tmac&Luther
09-26-2008, 01:06 PM
Don't they have to make the playoffs first?

Many PackYao
09-26-2008, 01:14 PM
:worthy:

:p:

Trainwreck2100
09-26-2008, 02:22 PM
Roll call!! Time for the team to finally win more than one playoff game! :downspin:

http://static.howstuffworks.com/gif/willow/cricket-info0.gif

so this is the thread where you talk to yourself?

sribb43
09-26-2008, 02:44 PM
Balkman is now in Denver....start raising the banners

rAm
09-26-2008, 04:42 PM
Thread over.

NuGGeTs-FaN
09-26-2008, 08:49 PM
so this is the thread where you talk to yourself?

:lol pretty much. It saves me making a new thread every time i want to talk about the Nuggets. :smokin

SAtown
09-26-2008, 09:25 PM
Who?

sribb43
09-26-2008, 10:13 PM
is Dan Issel still the coach or is it Jeff Bzdelik?

Spur-Addict
09-27-2008, 10:27 AM
Balkman is now in Denver....start raising the banners

is Dan Issel still the coach or is it Jeff Bzdelik?

:lol

duncan228
09-27-2008, 02:23 PM
Hey NuGGeTs-FaN, glad you've got your own thread. :)

I thought of you this morning, had a cable guy here who started talking NBA with me when he saw my NBA shirt. Turns out he's a Nuggets fan. He's the first Nuggets fan I've run into here in Laker land, I asked him how he started following the team. He said he was from the Denver area originally, but he was a Phiily fan because of Iverson, so he followed him with the trade.

So, there are Nuggets fans. Even here in Laker land. :lol

icem
09-27-2008, 02:28 PM
what nuggets need is a new coach...

sook
09-27-2008, 04:30 PM
yea nuggs are a scary team, especially under the leadership of someone like Larry Brown or JVG. Imaging them actually playing defense.

And to correct your point" More than One playoff game"

how about "Win a playoff game" cuz you guys got swept :p:

NuGGeTs-FaN
09-27-2008, 10:28 PM
Hey NuGGeTs-FaN, glad you've got your own thread. :)

I thought of you this morning, had a cable guy here who started talking NBA with me when he saw my NBA shirt. Turns out he's a Nuggets fan. He's the first Nuggets fan I've run into here in Laker land, I asked him how he started following the team. He said he was from the Denver area originally, but he was a Phiily fan because of Iverson, so he followed him with the trade.

So, there are Nuggets fans. Even here in Laker land. :lol

:lol What a brave man. He must have copped it during that sweep last season.

Did you see that Melo and Kmart have predicted sixty wins this season? :lmao :lmao Those guys need a serious reality check. They always overestimate their ability every season and then they flop in the playoffs.

I wish for once they would come out and say "we suck, we play no D and we will only win 35 games" :rollin

I havent got much hope for them this season but as always i'll be sticking by them :toast

duncan228
09-27-2008, 11:47 PM
I havent got much hope for them this season but as always i'll be sticking by them :toast

That's what fans do. We stick with them even when Melo and Kmart believe they'll get 60 wins. :lol That's what makes it all so fun. Besides, you never know...:flypig

NuGGeTs-FaN
09-28-2008, 10:31 AM
That's what fans do. We stick with them even when Melo and Kmart believe they'll get 60 wins. :lol That's what makes it all so fun. Besides, you never know...:flypig

:lol yep. I'm still holding out some hope, now that Karl has said the back court is still up in the air. I'm drooling over the prospect of an Ai/JR back court. Sounds like JR has been working hard at both ends of the court and him starting at SG would be a huge help.

A starting 5 of

AI
JR
Melo
Kmart
Nene

That's a very nice starting 5 IF healthy (as is the questions always). A healthy Nene will bring more for the Nuggets than Camby ever did.

The bench of AC/LK/Balkman/Andersen/Hunter and Atkins/Jones is pretty weak but will still be serviceable for a spell each night

Anyway, anything can happen in the NBA and it's a long season. Im just pumped that its already training camp time :lobt2::lmao

duncan228
09-28-2008, 12:09 PM
Im just pumped that its already training camp time :lobt2::lmao

Me too. I don't know why but this summer seemed endless for me. I'm ready to see my boys. :)

NuGGeTs-FaN
09-30-2008, 10:53 PM
Rhetoric is one thing. Action, on the other hand, is something entirely different.
Allen Iverson's description of Denver's first practice painted a pretty clear picture: "We didn't do any offense. No plays, no offense."

How's that for action?

That's right Denver fans, the first practice of the 2008-09 season was entirely devoted to the defensive end of the floor. Over the past couple of seasons it hasn't been unusual to hear head coach George Karl preach defense to his team. However, the team never appeared overly enthusiastic about the idea and the focus on defense seemed to wane as the season progressed.

On Tuesday, though, something was qualitatively different. The players had a different kind of energy and practice was indeed devoted entirely to defense. The Nuggets were playing full-speed and working on an aggressive trapping defensive scheme on the perimeter. The way the players were talking defensively and the overall intensity level was a lot like watching a college team.

Whether or not this kind of intensity can be maintained remains to be seen, but anyone with a pulse would have noticed a difference in Denver's approach today as opposed to the team's approach the last few seasons.

more of it

"Odds and Ends

- The funniest gaffe of the day occurred when Karl was talking about defensive rotations and referred to Melo as "Marcus" in reference to former Nugget and current Los Angeles Clipper center Marcus Camby. It will take everyone associated with the Nuggets a little time to adjust to the captain no longer holding it down in the middle.

- Kenyon Martin looks like a completely different player. In addition to weighing only 228 pounds -- about 12 pounds lighter than last season -- he was the unquestionable leader of the team during the first day of practice. He helped Patterson better understand where he was supposed to rotate defensively, explained some nuances of defensive post play to undrafted rookie James Mays, and held his teammates calmly accountable for mistakes. I've always liked Kenyon, but the dude looks like he's finally achieved a sense of peace both on and off the court.

- Nugget fans are going to absolutely love Renaldo Balkman. This guy is like Eduardo Najera but in fast-forward. He was all over the floor on Tuesday and all the while had a big smile on his face. His jump-shot also looked improved over last season.

- The cold hard truth is Mateen Cleaves probably won't make the Nuggets' regular season roster. However, he's just the perfect guy to have in training camp. He competes hard all the time, learns offensive and defensive sets relatively quickly, and gives great effort all the time. Even though he likely won't stick in Denver, it's hard not to have respect for the guy.

- At the end of Tuesday's practice the Nuggets ran sprints the length of the court with the team clapping and carrying on. The enthusiasm while this was taking place was striking in that it's not something we've seen from the Nuggets anytime in the last few years. Perhaps most encouraging for Nugget fans is the fact that when the rest of the team finished running, Melo ran a couple of more sprints just for good measure. Might seem like a small thing, but the small things are exactly what have been missing from Melo's approach to the game since he entered the league.

- Karl and his coaching staff made a conscious decision to avoid two-a-day practices this year. The idea is for the players to go as hard as they can once a day. Count Iverson among those who is very pleased with this new approach. "I'd rather go one time for three hours than two times," Iverson said. Of course, we are talkin' about practice. It's worth noting the Nuggets will have optional workouts in the evening for the rest of this week.

- Karl is pleased and somewhat confused how the Nuggets were able to bring in so many quality unsigned free agents to camp. "I think we've got NBA players almost all over the place," Karl said. "I'm amazed that you have guys like Ruben Patterson or (Nick) Fazekas -- that I think can play -- who can't find a job."

Smush Parker Has a Chance to Stick

William "Smush" Parker has had his fair share of issues over the past couple of seasons. Talk to most members of the Lakers during Parker's tenure in Los Angeles, and they'll tell you he wasn't exactly the most well liked player in the locker room. Add to that his troubles last year in Miami, and it's hard for most people to understand why the Nuggets would even think about bringing a player like Parker to camp.

Well, simply put, Denver needs help at the point guard position. In addition, they would like that help to come cheap. What that leaves you with is a guy like Parker who intends on getting his career back on track.

"Any negative thing that is said is going to hurt my reputation," Parker told HOOPSWORLD. "But that's water under the bridge, hopefully. This is a new start for me here in Denver, and I plan to take full advantage of it."

While not without his faults, Parker has put up relatively impressive numbers in the past. It's easy to forget this is a guy who averaged over 11 points and three assists on a pretty good ball club in Los Angeles. Moreover, his 6-foot-4 frame also makes him a potentially interesting fit next to Iverson.

Sniffing around at practice today, it's clear a lot of people around the team are intrigued by what Parker could bring to the table. If Parker has a good training camp, don't be surprised if he makes the active roster when camp breaks.

"Our situation is there's a possibility of one more roster spot with Melo missing the first two games (suspension) and Chucky (Atkins) and Sonny (Weems) probably missing," Karl explained. "So there's probably going to be some guys that might help us early. We've always been an eight-man rotation, but in general I'd like to play with an intensity that goes a little bit more into the depth of our team."

Parker would like to be a part of that depth Karl referred to.

"I feel if I come in here, work hard, play defense -- because that's the main focus of the team this year -- I'll have a good shot of making this team," Parker said." If I do that George Karl will find some room on his team for me. I'm just here to take advantage of my opportunity. (Karl's) system fits right under my belt. Run-and-gun, play defense and go. I'm from New York City and that's what we do."

The fact Parker was the very last player off the court today after practice staying over 15 minutes longer than any other player certainly won't hurt his cause He's one to keep an eye on as training camp progresses.

Karl Downplays Past Problems with Patterson

As you've already read on HOOPSWORLD, Ruben Patterson is happy to be back in Denver and says he and George Karl are on the same page after a tumultuous first-stint together. After Tuesday's practice, Karl addressed his relationship with Patterson.

"I laugh. I like Ruben. You all (the media) paint this picture... the situation that occurred is one of the hardest things. He had his best friend in basketball (Kenyon Martin) and I had to be the hammer and Ruben sided with Kenyon. Probably a mistake? Yeah. But was it an understandable mistake? Yeah. I think Ruben is on a mission. I think he can help us, or he might able to help another team depending on how the roster stuff falls out."

http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=10133

duncan228
10-01-2008, 11:15 PM
Nene: Nuggets need help at center (http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2008/oct/01/nene-nuggets-need-help-at-center/)
Karl is confident athleticism, speed can prevail in post
By Chris Tomasson, Rocky Mountain News

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x282/duncan228/temp%20duncan/nene.jpg
The Nuggets' Nene doesn't consider himself a true center and would like help going against the likes of Tim Duncan, left, this season.
Photo by Chris Schneider

Nene is a lot of things.

Talented basketball player.

Cancer survivor.

Soccer fan.

Wednesday, he put on his general manager hat.

"We need one more big man," the Nuggets center said. "We have good players in the post, but we need (to be) strong just to bump big men. That's my concern."

It's one shared by many after the Nuggets' offseason trade of 6-foot-11 Marcus Camby and the free-agent departure of 6-8

Eduardo Najera, who might not have been that big but made up for it with hustle and craftiness.

The 6-11 Nene, primarily a power forward before replacing Camby, doesn't consider himself a true center and would love some help. But the Nuggets most likely will enter the season with what they've got.

After the exits of Camby and Najera, the Nuggets did acquire 6-10 Chris Andersen and 6-8 Renaldo Balkman to back up Nene and 6-9 power forward Kenyon Martin.

But it remains to be seen how they'll match up with all the T-Rexes that roam the West.

* The Lakers, with Andrew Bynum and Pau Gasol.

* Phoenix, with Shaquille O'Neal and Amare Stoudemire.

* Portland, with Greg Oden and LaMarcus Aldridge.

* San Antonio, with Tim Duncan and whomever the Spurs want to call their center.

* The Clippers, with Chris Kaman and old friend Camby.

"The Western Conference has gotten bigger," Nuggets coach George Karl said. "You must throw that out there."

But Karl remains confident that with quicker, more athletic post players, the Nuggets can thrive.

"We're going to miss Marcus. We're going to miss Eddie," Karl said. "That doesn't mean we can't be a better basketball team. Balkman and Chris, whoever, (Linas Kleiza, a small forward who can slide to power), Steven Hunter (the team's only 7-footer). Someone's going to have to play."

Karl has no clue who will end up logging big minutes in reserve. Primarily, he's hoping Nene and Martin will play 70 games and average 30 minutes, which could be the key to the season.

But that's a big if. During the past three seasons, Nene has missed 165 games and Martin 117.

"That's in God's hands," Nene said of whether both can remain relatively healthy.

Even if both do, the Nuggets still will have questions in the post. But at least candidates for playing time are talking good games.

* Andersen said "not at all" when asked if the Nuggets will have trouble with big teams. He added that such opponents must "keep up with us."

* Balkman said he's "hard- nosed" and "gets it done" on defense.

* Hunter, who played in only 19 games last season while battling injuries, called it a "lost year" but said he's healthy and will be "the real Steven Hunter."

One key for the Nuggets will be whether they got the real Ander- sen. After leaving Denver to sign with New Orleans, Andersen broke loose with averages of 7.7 points and 6.1 rebounds in 2004-05.

But then came his January 2006 NBA drug suspension. Andersen, 30, returned in March and made five cameo appearances for the Hornets before the Nuggets signed him.

"(Andersen) kind of brought it to our attention he wanted to come here rather than go back to New Orleans," Karl said. "We met a couple of times and talked about what happened the last couple years. He convinced myself and the organization there's a good chance we could find a hell of player that we get very cheap (a minimum deal).

"You get (the suspension) on the table. . . . When you make a decision, you wipe the board clean. . . . (Andersen) will learn from it, and now we might be the guy who gets the benefits of it."

Karl hopes so. The Nuggets need all the help they can get in the post.

ETC.: Karl said training camp "has a different energy," one more serious. Asked why, he said, "They might fear the Marcus trade." . . . Karl, a North Carolina alumnus, said Dahntay Jones is the "first Dukie I've coached." While Karl quipped "going to Duke is not a good thing," he lauded Jones for playing "every possession like it's a playoff possession."

NuGGeTs-FaN
10-02-2008, 12:10 PM
thanks Duncan228 :clap

It's not much help at Center but the Nuggets did sign Juwan Howard

http://www.denverpost.com/nuggets/ci_10618411

The Nuggets have signed veteran 6-9 forward Juwan Howard to a one-year minimum, non-guaranteed deal, a source said.
Howard, 35, is in town for a physical and should be ready to participate in Denver's evening practice session.
A Nugget from 2001 to 2003, Howard put up big numbers for much of his career and as recently as 2006-07, he still averaged 9.7 points and 5.9 rebounds. Last season, however, he didn't get his regular minutes for the Mavericks - 7.1 compared to his career average of 33.3 -- and only scored 1.1 points per game.
For his career, Howard averages 15.3 points.

NuGGeTs-FaN
10-27-2008, 08:05 AM
cheers :toast

I'm hoping Nene stays healthy and lives up to his potential, then i can start my own Nene threads like the Oden and Bynum ones :lmao

Nuggets tip off on Wednesday in Utah then
@ Clipps
Lakers

Tough opening few games for them.

Girasuck
10-27-2008, 10:12 AM
Deron probably won't play in the opener so Denver has a chance. I know Melo is out but Deron is more important to Utah than Melo is to Denver so you never know. We've looked like shit in the preseason without Deron. I can't imagine us looking any better when the games count.

NuGGeTs-FaN
10-27-2008, 10:41 AM
It depends on AI alot. He has missed most of the preseason and he has looked like crap when he has played. I think he may finally be declining.

A win in Utah would be HUGE, even if its the first game of the season. I think the Jazz will grind out a close one.

NuGGeTs-FaN
11-01-2008, 09:06 AM
i was spot on there :lol I knew the Jazz would win a close one. Im just glad the Nuggets rallied vs the Clipps.

JR Smith in the first two games - 17ppg/7.5rpg, along with a couple of dimes and steals.