PDA

View Full Version : Is ebay reliable?

MaNuMaNiAc
09-26-2008, 11:59 AM
Anybody know? I'm planning on spending quite a bit of money so I need to be sure.

CubanMustGo
09-26-2008, 12:02 PM
? wtf

ebay is reliable, but not all sellers there are.

Dude
09-26-2008, 12:03 PM
Just woke up from a 10 year coma forum.

Mog
09-26-2008, 12:05 PM
I stop using eBay when i need something I go to Brutails he delivers. :tu

TDMVPDPOY
09-26-2008, 12:06 PM
dude dont tell me you are purchasing the comp over ebay man

i think paypal has a 20k insurance limit or someshit, so if you get scammed, i think they reimbursed you.

pickle girl
09-26-2008, 12:10 PM
MaNuMaNiAc is stubborn and only listens to certain posters go to the geek forum and see.

T Park
09-26-2008, 12:12 PM
I wouldn't purchase anything on there over a grand.

But thats just me......

Dex
09-26-2008, 12:13 PM
eBay is generally reliable if you submit your payments through PayPal and maintain a good line of contact with the seller.

I've purchased countless things, from like $10 items to $500 items over eBay, and only had one bad experience from one seller who took like 2 months to ship the records I had purchased.

If they ask for your credit information outright or will accept only money orders or checks, be wary. Anybody not smart enough to set up a Paypal account is probably not someone you want to do large business with.

Lance
09-26-2008, 12:23 PM
Also if you get an eMail from a bank in Nigeria..............

MaNuMaNiAc
09-26-2008, 12:40 PM
I asked because I don't live in the US, and therefore I have never needed to make use of ebay until recently.

and no TDMVPDPOY, I'm not buying the comp through ebay. I'm planning on buying a Panasonic HVX200A, which is something considerably more expensive, hence my hessitation.

as for mouse's greivance, I read what you had to say mouse, and I appreciate the offer, but I'm not looking to buy a second hand computer, and I'm not looking to buy a mac, so thanks, but no thanks bro.

TDMVPDPOY
09-26-2008, 12:42 PM
you from argentina?

goto your local ghetto and buy one off a truck, cheap cheap

nkdlunch
09-26-2008, 12:52 PM
I asked because I don't live in the US, and therefore I have never needed to make use of ebay until recently.

and no TDMVPDPOY, I'm not buying the comp through ebay. I'm planning on buying a Panasonic HVX200A, which is something considerably more expensive, hence my hessitation.

as for mouse's greivance, I read what you had to say mouse, and I appreciate the offer, but I'm not looking to buy a second hand computer, and I'm not looking to buy a mac, so thanks, but no thanks bro.

Don't trust ebay. Who you have to trust is the individual seller. So you need to look at their rating and decide to trust them or not.

Also pay with credit card in case u have problem and can deny charges.

Slomo
09-26-2008, 12:52 PM

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/ these guys are reliable and have good prices. Although buying a semi pro camcorder abroad is rarely a good solutions since having no or a bad warranty on such an expensive piece of kit is not a good idea (specially a camcorder since it will be used outside the relatively safe environment of the studio).

OT

Are you sure about the P2 camcorder? How popular is this format in your country? If it's not wide spread you might think again. Over here XDCAM is the format of choice and for the sake of interoperability and compatibility it dictates what camcorders are a good choice.

This would be the XDCAM equivalent: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/520761-REG/Sony_PMWEX1UC_PMW_EX1_XDCAM_EX_SxS.html

MaNuMaNiAc
09-26-2008, 01:01 PM
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/ these guys are reliable and have good prices. Although buying a semi pro camcorder abroad is rarely a good solutions since having no or a bad warranty on such an expensive piece of kit is not a good idea (specially a camcorder since it will be used outside the relatively safe environment of the studio).

well in this case, I don't have a choice. The HVX200a isn't sold in Argentina, and the HVX200 costs twice what it does in the states, which is ridiculous. I'm hoping to be able to buy it through ebay and send it to a friend of my father's in Houston so he can bring it to Argentina personally and avoid paying the customs tax (complicated matter, don't ask me how)

OT

Are you sure about the P2 camcorder? How popular is this format in your country? If it's not wide spread you might think again. Over here XDCAM is the format of choice and for the sake of interoperability and compatibility it dictates what camcorders are a good choice.

This would be the XDCAM equivalent: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/520761-REG/Sony_PMWEX1UC_PMW_EX1_XDCAM_EX_SxS.html

Yes, the P2 format is the format of choice here in Buenos Aires, which makes it all the more incredible that you can't find the damn camera anywhere here, and when you do, they charge you 200% for it. Plus the P2 is roughly 1.5k to 2k cheaper than anything HD Sony can offer, or so I'm told.

MaNuMaNiAc
09-26-2008, 01:03 PM
you from argentina?

goto your local ghetto and buy one off a truck, cheap cheap

if only!!

Slomo
09-26-2008, 01:13 PM
Yes, the P2 format is the format of choice here in Buenos Aires, which makes it all the more incredible that you can't find the damn camera anywhere here, and when you do, they charge you 200% for it. Plus the P2 is roughly 1.5k to 2k cheaper than anything HD Sony can offer, or so I'm told.

Then you must go the P2 way. While XDCAM is more expensive (approx. 1k$) initially cost of ownership over here makes it a no brainer. But again you have to work within a certain market and in your case that seems to be P2. The guys at BH will ship wherever you want and you can still try your solution for the "import".

TDMVPDPOY
09-26-2008, 01:23 PM
dude how far away are you from the border? i can help you...meet me on teh other side of the fence....

MaNuMaNiAc
09-26-2008, 01:26 PM
Then you must go the P2 way. While XDCAM is more expensive (approx. 1k$) initially cost of ownership over here makes it a no brainer. But again you have to work within a certain market and in your case that seems to be P2. The guys at BH will ship wherever you want and you can still try your solution for the "import".

Yeah, I've heard a lot about B&H from almost everyone I've studied under. Everyone raves about how reliable they are. Still, they have the HVX200A at around $5200, and I've seen better prices.

In fact Slomo, if you could help me out on this, the other day I came across a webpage for a place in NY that has the HVX200A for $2000! :wow. My concern here is, such a difference in pricing in comparison to a reliable place like B&H doesn't really make sense. What do you think?

P.S. Here's the link http://www.prestigecamera.com/viewproduct.aspx?id=%20%20%209960829

Slomo
09-26-2008, 02:09 PM
In fact Slomo, if you could help me out on this, the other day I came across a webpage for a place in NY that has the HVX200A for $2000! :wow. My concern here is, such a difference in pricing in comparison to a reliable place like B&H doesn't really make sense. What do you think?

P.S. Here's the link http://www.prestigecamera.com/viewproduct.aspx?id=%20%20%209960829

My experience with BH is that they usually have the lowest prices of the reliable sources. That doesn't mean that you can't get the same price from some other source, but I've rarely seen lower prices than theirs.

As for the link. I've never heard of them. I do know that when something sounds too good to be true, it usually isn't. 3k difference is a LOT!!!

Evan
09-26-2008, 02:47 PM
PM LEONARD ....he does security on their website and can ensure you don't get ripped off.

http://spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=3935

Brutalis
09-26-2008, 02:54 PM
For me personally if I am looking to buy an expensive item I'll look at the guys feedback, and check out items he sold like mine and what if his customers were happy.

Depending on the size of the purchase if you wanna do it through eBay then do it before the end of October before they go PAYPAL only and add service charges.

Anti.Hero
09-26-2008, 02:56 PM
I don't trust paypal.

Heath Ledger
09-26-2008, 03:08 PM
Ebay banned payments in checks or money orders so sellers are no longer able to accept them. So CC or paypal is the only way to go, beware of the socalled buyer protection with Paypal it is a joke. If the item arrives damaged you are pretty much screwed because paypal only really covers non delivery. I got an 800 printer and it arrived damaged and with ink all over the place because the dumbfuck didnt take the cartridges out when he shipped and paypal declined my claim. I ended up with an 800 paper weight.

It is relatively safe just look for sellers with good feedback with a rating of 98 percent or higher positive and hundreds if not thousands of transactions.

Sometimes its worth paying a bit extra from someone with a higher feedback rating.

tonylongoriafan
09-26-2008, 03:12 PM
never had any issues with ebay or paypal...150+ purchases

Many PackYao
09-26-2008, 03:18 PM
PM LEONARD ....he does security on their website and can ensure you don't get ripped off.

http://spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=3935

Heh heh, is they're anything that Leonard doesn't do?:lol

Brutalis
09-26-2008, 03:18 PM
Ebay banned payments in checks or money orders so sellers are no longer able to accept them. So CC or paypal is the only way to go, beware of the socalled buyer protection with Paypal it is a joke. If the item arrives damaged you are pretty much screwed because paypal only really covers non delivery. I got an 800 printer and it arrived damaged and with ink all over the place because the dumbfuck didnt take the cartridges out when he shipped and paypal declined my claim. I ended up with an 800 paper weight.

It is relatively safe just look for sellers with good feedback with a rating of 98 percent or higher positive and hundreds if not thousands of transactions.

Sometimes its worth paying a bit extra from someone with a higher feedback rating.

Note that does not go into action until the end of October.

Many PackYao
09-26-2008, 03:20 PM
I've been an Ebay buyer since '04 and never had any issues with them or Paypal.Go by the sellers rep/ratings.:toast

fotan2
09-26-2008, 07:21 PM
last Xmas , i was going to buy a PSP screen protector for 5 bucks from a Canadian seller. i sent 2 emails to tell him that i have paid the money . he replied that the product was sent . as of now , i still havent received anything . it's only 5 bucks ,fuck it .