PDA

View Full Version : Administration Official: Bailout Likely, McCain Lost PR Battle

LakeShow
09-26-2008, 05:57 PM
Administration Official: Bailout Likely, McCain Lost PR Battle (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/09/26/administration-official-b_n_129664.html)

Concerned that the public relations battle had turned against their favor, John McCain and the group of conservatives who opposed the outlines of the compromise financial bailout package will likely back away from their recalcitrance, an official close to the Administration tells the Huffington Post.

The Republican source, with direct knowledge of the negotiations, said that GOPers and McCain were "scared about the press perception" that they were at fault for "blowing the thing up." The takeover of Washington Mutual on Thursday combined with the continued downturn in the futures and credit markets "also scared them," to the point that a bailout deal seemed within the realm of possibility "over the weekend."

The official's tone - more optimistic than that of key figures just last night - signals an end may be in sight on a bailout negotiations. McCain has generally avoided taking a stance on the set of compromise principles agreed to by the administration, Democrats and many Republicans in Congress. But talks stalled during a White House meeting last night, in large part, sources say, because of a power struggle within the House Republican caucus.

McCain had left the campaign trail mid-week with a promise to force a consensus. But it seems, at this point, that he will have done relatively little during the negotiations - save for possibly killing the earlier arrangement and providing an opening for the opposition.

"I do think that John McCain was very helpful in what he did. I saw him this morning, we've been talking with his staff," House Republican Whip Roy Blunt told Andrea Mitchell on MSNBC. "Clearly, yesterday, his position in that discussion yesterday [at the White House] was one that stopped a deal from finalizing that no House Republican, in my view, would've been for."

According to one Democratic aide familiar with the negotiations, House GOP leadership was hoping to save face with more conservative members on Friday by forcing consideration (at the very least) of some of the alternative proposals - primarily, having the government sell insurance to companies that buy mortgage-backed securities. The leadership would then turn around and praise McCain for greasing the wheels on this front. But the course is problematic. McCain has left town. And during the White House meeting on Thursday night, Barack Obama reportedly brought up discussion of the conservative counterproposal only to have Treasury Secretary Hank Paulson declare it wouldn't work.

Aggie Hoopsfan
09-26-2008, 06:04 PM
Concerned that the public relations battle had turned against their favor, John McCain and the group of conservatives who opposed the outlines of the compromise financial bailout package will likely back away from their recalcitrance, an official close to the Administration tells the Huffington Post.

They better get the Boehner on the phone, he was just on my TV five minutes ago saying this thing wasn't over. :lol

Yonivore
09-26-2008, 06:08 PM
Ah, Huffington Post.

Well Powerline Blog (one of the places from which I steal stuff) got an e-mail from Blunt

I linked below to an article by Dick Morris (http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/political_commentary/commentary_by_dick_morris/the_brilliance_of_mccain_s_move) (I linked again just in case you can't stomach going to a conservative blog to read it yourself. To be honest though, one of the three on Powerline is a moderate leaning liberal -Y.) which argues that John McCain will reap great benefit from being seen as the broker of a better deal when the Democrats cave in to the House Republicans on the terms of the bailout or whatever it turns out to be. I was skeptical, in part because I hadn't seen any indication that McCain has aligned himself with the House Republicans' position.

In rapid succession, though, I got an email from Republican Whip Roy Blunt, the Republicans' lead negotiator, that included this exchange from an interview:

Yellin: Well, Secretary Paulson and the Democrats could reach an agreement and they can reach without you being there in the room at all.
Blunt: I think we need to be together on this and work together on this, but it means more than take it or leave it. We have been down the take it or leave it road, and you know, until John McCain came back to Washington this week, the House Republicans were very much on the leave it side of it and we were arguing for more insurance or loans and protections, but everyone else is rushing for a deal and frankly John McCain came back and said, the House Republicans have the taxpayers in mind and I am with them.
And an email from Congressman John Shadegg:

For the first time since the potential crisis confronting our nation’s banking system arose, I am cautiously optimistic. The proposal initially offered by Secretary Paulson was irresponsible and woefully lacking in safeguards for American taxpayers. Thanks to intervention by Senator McCain, both the White House and Congressional Democrats appear to be moving toward a more responsible rescue plan.
So maybe McCain is better positioned to deserve credit for improvements in the legislation than, to my knowledge, has been reported publicly.

PAUL adds: Note John's careful wording of his last sentence, particularly his use of "deserve," as opposed to "receive." Whatever credit McCain may end up deserving, he will receive considerably less (if any) in the reporting of the MSM.
Apparently not everything is being reported.

ChumpDumper
09-26-2008, 06:12 PM
McCain didn't say anything.

Hasn't said anything.

He's hoping to take credit for anything that happens.

whottt
09-26-2008, 06:32 PM
McCain didn't say anything.

Hasn't said anything.

He's hoping to take credit for anything that happens.

I don't think that was the motivation behind this at all...I think this was entirely about denying Obama time to cram.

ploto
09-26-2008, 06:35 PM
So some Republicans wrote some stuff trying to give credit to John McCain- big news! I am sure they have no bias in attempting to make him look better in this PR mess he created.

The Democrats proposed safeguards long before McCain ever got there.

ploto
09-26-2008, 06:37 PM
I don't think that was the motivation behind this at all...I think this was entirely about denying Obama time to cram.

He does not need to cram. You must have him confused with Sarah Palin.

ChumpDumper
09-26-2008, 06:38 PM
I don't think that was the motivation behind this at all...I think this was entirely about denying Obama time to cram.So it was all a political stunt.

Ok.

JohnnyMarzetti
09-26-2008, 06:48 PM
Damn right it was nothing but a political stunt and a pathetic one at that.

whottt
09-26-2008, 06:49 PM
So it was all a political stunt.

Ok.

Yes, if only McCain was more like Obama and didn't attempt political stunts.

ChumpDumper
09-26-2008, 06:54 PM
Yes, if only McCain was more like Obama and didn't attempt political stunts.Like what?

Anything involving declaring a national emergency then putting it off for a day?

whottt
09-26-2008, 06:56 PM
Obviously Obama didn't feel it was a National Emergency or he wouldn't have to have been forced to participate.

ChumpDumper
09-26-2008, 07:01 PM
Obviously Obama didn't feel it was a National Emergency or he wouldn't have to have been forced to participate.But it's not that much of an emergency according to McCain, because he showed up late and left early --

-- after he said it was a national emergency and that he wouldn't leave until it was resolved.

whottt
09-26-2008, 07:03 PM
It's different when Obama does it

ChumpDumper
09-26-2008, 07:06 PM
I couldn't think of an equivalent example.

And I can't believe Palin looks like such an idiot now.

whottt
09-26-2008, 07:07 PM
McCain bad Obama good!

whottt
09-26-2008, 07:07 PM
Plus, I'm sexist

ChumpDumper
09-26-2008, 07:08 PM
McCain good.

Obama bad.

ChumpDumper
09-26-2008, 07:08 PM
Plus, I fell for Palin because I like the way she looks.

whottt
09-26-2008, 07:10 PM
:yawn

ChumpDumper
09-26-2008, 07:12 PM
Indeed, where is that example of Obama's national emercency political stunt?

whottt
09-26-2008, 07:13 PM
By all appearances Obama wouldn't know a National Emergency if he had one stuck up his ass.

ChumpDumper
09-26-2008, 07:15 PM
So you're admitting you can't come up with an equivalent stunt from Obama.

Ok.

whottt
09-26-2008, 07:17 PM
What I'm saying is that for Obama to pull a stunt during a National Emergency he'd first actually have to know what one was.

Meanwhile...thank god W was there to let him know :tu

ChumpDumper
09-26-2008, 07:18 PM
What I'm saying is that for Obama to pull a stunt during a National Emergency he'd first actually have to know what one was.

Meanwhile...thank god W was there to let him know :tuWhich means he has not pulled a political stunt equivalent to McCain's.

Thanks. :tu

whottt
09-26-2008, 07:20 PM
Which means he has not pulled a political stunt equivalent to McCain's, because he doesn't understand what a National Emergency is

Thanks. :tu

ChumpDumper
09-26-2008, 07:22 PM
Which means he hasn't pulled a stunt equivalent to McCain's. I'm a little flustered today, sorry.

Yonivore
09-26-2008, 07:24 PM
Meanwhile...thank god W was there to let him know :tu
Well, apparently it took W telling him we were in a National Emergency, and that he should get his ass back to Washing with the rest of the adults, before he got off the, "There's nothing more important than this campaign..." meme.

ChumpDumper
09-26-2008, 07:26 PM
Well, apparently it took W telling him we were in a National Emergency, and that he should get his ass back to Washing with the rest of the adults, before he got off the, "There's nothing more important than this campaign..." meme.But both candidates left Washington.

So either the crisis is over, or did it not exist in the first place?

ChumpDumper
09-26-2008, 07:27 PM
"There's nothing more important than this campaign..." meme.Both candidates voted with their feet on that one. They are in Mississippi.

whottt
09-26-2008, 07:27 PM
I make points that are only significant to me.
Whottt cares.

ChumpDumper
09-26-2008, 07:28 PM
I really tried to turn this one around for myself, but I'm only looking worse.

whottt
09-26-2008, 07:30 PM
Both candidates voted with their feet on that one. They are in Mississippi.

Well both candidates went to Washington...so I guess they both pulled a stunt.

ChumpDumper
09-26-2008, 07:31 PM
Well both candidates went to Washington...so I guess they both pulled a stunt.Nice attempt at moving the goalposts.

Too late though.

whottt
09-26-2008, 07:42 PM
I'll decide when the double standard applies and when it doesn't

ChumpDumper
09-26-2008, 07:47 PM
I'll try to move the goalposts to pretend a double standard exists when I already admitted Obama has done nothing like McCain just did. That'll show 'em!

whottt
09-26-2008, 07:51 PM
True, both Obama and McCain had the same desire to conduct the debates tonight, so no double standard there. Nope. None. It's completely different. Obama good McCain bad. Watch me blow this smoke ring out of my ass :tu

Shastafarian
09-26-2008, 07:51 PM
What will they say next! I'm on the edge of my seat.

ChumpDumper
09-26-2008, 07:54 PM
I will completely ignore the fact that McCain said he was suspending his campaign and would stay in Washignton until the crisis was resolved and then completely changed his mind. Obama never did any of that and it just burns me up inside, so I'll lie about what he did to try and make it look like he did exactly the same thing as McCain. It's my only hope.

Damn Palin and damn my foolish heart! Both have betrayed me!

whottt
09-26-2008, 07:58 PM
And I completely ignore the fact that Obama completely ignored what I myself have classified as a National Emergency until W was smart enough to let him know. Then I overlook the fact that Obama was going to conduct the debate even after knowing it was a National Emergency. And now I have the audacity to condemn McCain for grandstanding during a National Emegency when Obama A. Didn't know it was one and B. Didn't give a shit even after he did.

whottt
09-26-2008, 07:59 PM
Notice how whottt removes typos when he's misquoting me yet I don't add typos when misquoting him? This is because whottt is better at this than me. Period.

ChumpDumper
09-26-2008, 08:00 PM
I will now pretend that CD said that every Senator had to be in Washington 24/7. What's one more lie on top of the lies I've already told?

whottt
09-26-2008, 08:04 PM
When getting dealt an asskicking in an argument, ignore the fact that Obama tried to change the terms of the debate and make shitty goalpost analogies

ChumpDumper
09-26-2008, 08:05 PM
I'm really getting my ass handed to me again, so I'll try to change the subject to something else. I sure hope no one notices how desperate I am right now.

whottt
09-26-2008, 08:05 PM
The economies not important enough to stay in Washington and work on, but it's damn sure good enough to debate about...and prove what a partisan ass I am in the process.

whottt
09-26-2008, 08:07 PM
Maybe if I say whottt is getting his ass kicked enough I'll actually believe it

ChumpDumper
I'll leave Washington too. Flip flopping is no big deal for me anymore. I do it regularly.

whottt
Plus, I have no sense of humor.

Shastafarian
Both of you need to shut up

ChumpDumper
My ass hurts.

whottt
09-26-2008, 08:08 PM
it's ok for Obama to flip flop but not McCain. Like I said, I'll decide when the double standard applies and when it doesn't.
This is why I kick ass.

ChumpDumper
09-26-2008, 08:09 PM
Once again, I'll try to pretend Obama did the same thing McCain did, even though I already admitted he didn't several times. I can no longer keep track of my lies.

whottt
09-26-2008, 08:11 PM
I'll get the last word in no matter how full shit I am. Watch.

jochhejaam
09-27-2008, 08:46 AM
So some Republicans wrote some stuff trying to give credit to John McCain- big news!

This from the poster that felt Chris Rock's reason for supporting Obama <it's not because he's black!> was newswothy to the extent that it deserved it's own thread.

Now that was big news...

JoeChalupa
09-27-2008, 09:15 AM
This from the poster that felt Chris Rock's reason for supporting Obama <it's not because he's black!> was newswothy to the extent that it deserved it's own thread.

Now that was big news...

Chris Rock's!!!