PDA

View Full Version : Top Six Power Forwards in 2009 (Hoopsworld)

duncan228
09-27-2008, 02:29 PM
It's Hoopsworld, but it's Duncan. :smokin

Top Six Power Forwards in 2009 (http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=10079)
By: Travis Heath

HOOPSWORLD continues its look at the top players at each position as the season draws closer. Today, the power forward position will be examined.
Power forwards in today's game take many different forms. Some possess perimeter skill sets, while others dominate in the post with their backs to the basket. This makes evaluating the four-spot a unique challenge.

Please keep in mind this list will feature your friendly neighborhood columnist's prediction of the six power forwards who will have the best seasons in 2008-09, and is not necessarily a list of the six "best" power forwards in the game today (although there is admittedly some overlap).

With that understanding, here's a look at the players HOOPSWORLD believes will have the best season at the power forward position in 2008-09.

6. Chris Bosh - Toronto Raptors

With Jermaine O'Neal in the fold and Jose Calderon signed to a long-term deal, Bosh is set up to have a great season. His versatility offensively and his mobility on both ends of the floor will be on full display this season since he will not have the burden of carrying the entire load in the pivot. The Raptors will be a fun team to watch and could make some noise in the East. If everything goes right, it wouldn't be a shock for Bosh's name to be a part of the MVP conversation. Even if that doesn't happen, expect Bosh to have a career-year in 2008-09.

5. Amare Stoudemire - Phoenix Suns

There was some doubt as to whether or not Stoudemire would ever be the same player after he underwent microfracture surgery in 2005. Fortunately for Stoudemire, he appeared to hit his stride again last season. While he may have lost a little bit of spring in his leg, he's still a monster for any defense to try and contain. He's also a solid rebounder and can at times very much intimidate opposing offenses with his shot-blocking ability. It remains to be seen whether or not the Suns' championship window has officially shut as many prognosticators believe, but Phoenix will be a playoff team next season. The fact Stoudemire will be running with Steve Nash, still one of the best point guards in the game, virtually ensures another big season for "STAT."

4. Carlos Boozer - Utah Jazz

This is a player who often gets left out of the discussion of best forwards in the game today. Boozer has been very good since arriving in Salt Lake City. The fact he has the ability to opt out of his deal and cash-in big next summer should provide even more motivation for him to perform this season. Boozer is very good offensively and can score from mid-range and on the box. He may be the best forward in the game today at using his off-hand to score around the rim, which often puts defenders a little off-kilter when trying to defend him. With Deron Williams running the point again next season, expect Boozer to get a ton of easy baskets on the break and off of the pick-and-roll thus ensuring he will again be one of the most productive forwards in the game in 2008-09.

3. David West - New Orleans Hornets

For my money, West is the most underrated player in the Association. Last season, he got some much deserved recognition after being named a Western Conference All-Star. Even so, it seemed many people still chalked up a great deal of his success to the play of Chris Paul. There's no doubt Paul is amazing, but West's performance is more than just a simple bi-product of playing next to Paul. West often extends defenses because of his ability to hit the 17-foot jumper and can also score inside with his back to the basket. It's easy to forget he also averaged 8.5 rebounds per-game last season, too. He was great last season and will be even better in 2008-09.

2. Kevin Garnett - Boston Celtics

Despite coming to play every single night for over a decade, many fans failed to give Garnett his due mostly because he had never won a title. After one season in Boston, that all changed. While teammate Paul Pierce has been busy proclaiming himself the best in the world, Garnett has been training hard and mentally preparing himself to lead the C's to another title. Garnett's passion, focus and commitment to the defensive end of the floor completely transformed the Celtics last season. Expect Garnett to once again be the unequivocal leader for a Boston team that will have a fantastic chance of winning the Eastern Conference again next season.

1. Tim Duncan - San Antonio Spurs

With all due respect to Karl Malone, Tim Duncan is the best power forward who ever set foot on a NBA basketball court. Unfortunately, he never seems to get the credit he deserves because of his non-flashy and business like approach to the game. Make no mistake about it, though, Duncan is one for the ages. Sure his career averages of over 21 points and 11 rebounds might not floor folks, but Duncan is so much more than numbers. Every year Duncan is healthy is a year the Spurs have a legitimate shot at winning a championship. Since entering the league in 1997, Duncan's Spurs have won four titles. And despite the fact he will turn 33 on April 25th, Duncan is still performing at a high level. Moreover, San Antonio coach Gregg Popovich always seems to find a way to make sure Duncan is fresh come playoff time. Assuming he's healthy, Duncan will average his 20 and 10 and the Spurs will have another very good shot at bringing home title number five in the Duncan era.

Honorable Mention

Elton Brand - Philadelphia 76ers: Brand looked remarkably sharp during the last couple weeks of the season after returning from a torn Achilles. If he continues that trend and returns to his pre-injury form, Brand could be one of the best forwards in the game next season for Philly. If everything comes together, Brand's Sixers could win the East.

Dirk Nowitzki - Dallas Mavericks: It's easy to forget this guy was the league MVP just a couple of years ago. He's in the prime of his career and remains one of the most unique scorers in the game today with his 7-foot frame and outstanding outside shooting ability. Dallas fans are hoping new coach Rick Carlisle will pump some new life into Dirk and the Mavs. If he does, Nowitzki could easily be in the MVP discussion once again next season.

Pau Gasol - Los Angeles Lakers: Pau earned the nickname "Gasoft" during his time in Memphis with the Grizzlies. While Gasol will never be a power player, he certainly was very good after arriving in Los Angeles before the trade deadline last season. If Gasol is your number one guy, you're in trouble. But playing next to players like Kobe Bryant, Andrew Bynum and Lamar Odom should ensure Gasol has perhaps the best overall season of his career in 2008-09.

Rasheed Wallace - Detroit Pistons: Sheed is kind of like the Manny Ramirez of the NBA. When he's focused, he can absolutely dominate games on both ends of the floor. When he's not, though, things can become a circus. If he comes to camp in shape, keeps his head on straight during the regular season and maintains his focus once the playoffs commence, Wallace could help lead the Pistons to another title. On the other hand, Sheed could end up being traded by the deadline if he gets off to a slow start.

LaMarcus Aldridge - Portland Trail Blazers: Aldridge split time between the four and the five last season. This season, though, Aldridge will probably see more minutes -- and quite possibly the majority of his minutes -- at the four as the season progresses. As such, it was impossible to keep him off this list. He made huge strides last season and has the chance to develop into an All-Star in the very near future. He can score inside and out and rebound the ball. Playing in the high-post, he should be a very nice complement to Oden this season and for many seasons to come.

mavs>spurs2
09-27-2008, 02:37 PM
What a joke. Dirk should be number 2 or 3 hands down. Boozer better than Bosh and Amare?? :lmao

My list:

Duncan
Dirk
KG
Amare
West
Bosh

balli
09-27-2008, 02:44 PM
Ridiculous. No way Boozer and West should be that high. Not even close actually. I normally like Travis Heath, but this list is just way off the mark.

HarlemHeat37
09-27-2008, 02:45 PM
Dirk has become ridiculously underrated the last 2 years..

duncan228
09-27-2008, 02:46 PM
:lol I love how we tear these lists apart. I'm happy as long as Duncan is playing well enough to hold that #1 spot. The rest can fight for second. :)

fotan2
09-27-2008, 02:48 PM
hope they are telling truth this time .

i personally think that base on M>S's list ,KG & West should be on the top of Dirk.

mavs>spurs2
09-27-2008, 02:49 PM
Put West on the Mavs last year and they don't make the playoffs

duncan228
09-27-2008, 02:57 PM
Dirk has become ridiculously underrated the last 2 years..

I agree. He got most of the blame for the Finals nightmare, and got the soft and choke labels. Whether he deserves them or not is another conversation, but I love his game.

BlackSwordsMan
09-27-2008, 03:02 PM
sorry I only follow nba 2k9 ratings and KG is #1

lefty
09-27-2008, 03:05 PM
Duncan number 1?

No way :wow

But seriously, Dirk is not a PF; he is a SF playing PF

Galileo
09-27-2008, 03:07 PM
What a joke. Dirk should be number 2 or 3 hands down. Boozer better than Bosh and Amare?? :lmao

My list:

Duncan
Dirk
KG
Amare
West
Bosh

That's a good list, but I would switch KG and Dirk.

I think Bosh is # 4 at worst, and may be 2nd this season.

IronMexican
09-27-2008, 03:08 PM
Dirk should be #2 IMO

ChuckD
09-27-2008, 03:18 PM
After watching the 2005 Finals from the box set again, I'm convinced that Tim could play 6-7 more years if he wanted to. He put up 20p/14r/2b for the series with two badly sprained ankles, and no mobility to speak of.

HarlemHeat37
09-27-2008, 03:49 PM
Carlos Boozer is SEVERELY overrated..the guy has been in a downward spiral since the mid-way point of last season..he's holding the Jazz back IMO..David West is a good player, but there isn't even an argument to put him ahead of Dirk, Bosh, Stoudemire or Brand..

I would list them..

#1- Duncan
#2- KG
#3- Dirk
#4- Stoudemire
#5- Bosh
#6- Brand(can move up if healthy..unlike the 3 guys I have ahead of him, Brand has been a solid defensive player..all about health)

I have Dirk ahead of Stoudemire, because Dirk is a more versatile player..they are pretty much even with rebounding..I give Dirk a slight edge defensively, only because he puts more effort in..but it's the passing that gives Dirk the full edge IMO..Dirk developed his passing very nicely the last few seasons, while Stoudemire is a still a 1-D player..

Bosh is pretty much even with them as well..he hasn't had the luxury of playing with teammates as good as Dirk and Stoudemire's too..I expect him to be a better player than Amare in the future, because Bosh has already shown good leadership..Stoudemire doesn't come off as a leader type..he makes too many bad decisions and is too immature IMO..that's something a #1 option for a team should show(he might not be now, but Nash is getting older)..

Ed Helicopter Jones
09-27-2008, 04:04 PM
Dirk is definitely top 6.

Who would make a top 6 list anyway???

Ed Helicopter Jones
09-27-2008, 04:05 PM
Oh.....Hoopsworld would. :lol

Allanon
09-27-2008, 05:17 PM
This writer must be a fan from Utah and New Orleans or something because I can't figure out why else he'd have David West and Carlos Boozer at #2 and #3.

Dirk is grossly under-rated...KG or Dirk at #2 is debateable, I like Dirk better

1. Duncan
2. Dirk
3. KG
4. Chris Bosh
5. Amare - no defense

Oh yeah, this quirky list has 6 because the writer had to make room for his idol
6. David West

mystargtr34
09-27-2008, 07:32 PM
This writer must be a fan from Utah and New Orleans or something because I can't figure out why else he'd have David West and Carlos Boozer at #2 and #3.

Dirk is grossly under-rated...KG or Dirk at #2 is debateable, I like Dirk better

1. Duncan
2. Dirk
3. KG
4. Chris Bosh
5. Amare - no defense

Oh yeah, this quirky list has 6 because the writer had to make room for his idol
6. David West

Id go with this list, although i wouldnt have a problem with Amare above Bosh.

duncan228
09-27-2008, 07:44 PM
But seriously, Dirk is not a PF; he is a SF playing PF

That's okay, Duncan is a Center playing Power Forward. :lol

After watching the 2005 Finals from the box set again, I'm convinced that Tim could play 6-7 more years if he wanted to. He put up 20p/14r/2b for the series with two badly sprained ankles, and no mobility to speak of.

The '05 Championship is my favorite of the 4 because of how incredible Duncan was playing as hurt as he was. He willed that Title, he wanted it and there was nothing that was going to stop him. The last 6 minutes of the 3rd quarter in game 7 tells you everything you need to know about Duncan. That Finals MVP was well deserved. (Yes, I know how close the vote was, and yes, Manu was amazing, but to me, '05 was about Duncan. :))

Oh, and I hope he plays forever. :)

Allanon
09-27-2008, 07:50 PM
Oh, and I hope he plays forever. :)

Duncan has had an amazing career and we were fortunate to witness the best power forward ever. He has also got to be the #1 most boring G.O.A.T., I wish he had been more of an ass...too squeaky clean.

LaMarcus Aldridge - Portland Trail Blazers: Aldridge split time between the four and the five last season. This season, though, Aldridge will probably see more minutes -- and quite possibly the majority of his minutes -- at the four as the season progresses. As such, it was impossible to keep him off this list. He made huge strides last season and has the chance to develop into an All-Star in the very near future. He can score inside and out and rebound the ball. Playing in the high-post, he should be a very nice complement to Oden this season and for many seasons to come.
If he can become more aggressive and hit the weight room, I think Aldridge will take over as the best power forward once the previous generation retires. Aldridge is the most skilled of all the young power forwards. David West is close but he's undersized. Amare is great on offense but doesn't seem interested in playing defense.

Gino
09-27-2008, 07:53 PM
Why do people continue to start threads over anything "published" by Hoopsworld?

Allanon
09-27-2008, 07:54 PM
Why do people continue to start threads over anything "published" by Hoopsworld?

So we can laugh at them?

duncan228
09-27-2008, 07:58 PM

Usually to tear it apart and write it better ourselves. In this particular case I liked the write up on Duncan.

And anytime I post one of theirs I put Hoopsworld in the thread title so people who don't like the site don't have to waste their time clicking on it. :)

Spur-Addict
09-27-2008, 07:58 PM

I think to see how absurd some of these articles are, then to see who agrees with the articles that are absurd. This leads to public ridicule for the sole purpose of enjoyment.

Spur-Addict
09-27-2008, 07:59 PM
Usually to tear it apart and write it better ourselves. In this particular case I liked the write up on Duncan.

And anytime I post one of theirs I put Hoopsworld in the thread title so people who don't like the site don't have to waste their time clicking on it. :)

That as well.

m33p0
09-27-2008, 09:32 PM
Duncan has had an amazing career and we were fortunate to witness the best power forward ever. He has also got to be the #1 most boring G.O.A.T., I wish he had been more of an ass...too squeaky clean.
I like him the way he is.

If he can become more aggressive and hit the weight room, I think Aldridge will take over as the best power forward once the previous generation retires. Aldridge is the most skilled of all the young power forwards. David West is close but he's undersized. Amare is great on offense but doesn't seem interested in playing defense.
:tu

timtonymanu
09-27-2008, 10:49 PM
Boozer and West in the top 4?!

West is clearly becoming overrated because of his "underrated" status. and doesn't Boozer disappear in games on the road?

The list should be changed to:
1. Duncan
2. KG
3. Dirk
4. Amare
5. Bosh
6. Boozer

SimonHymen
09-27-2008, 11:12 PM
David West?! Did Chris Paul write this article?

And Dirk is too high.

SpurSupremacist
09-28-2008, 05:51 AM

My list:

Duncan
Dirk
KG
Amare
West
Bosh

Garnett is better than Dirk. He plays on both ends.

Boozer has better numbers than Bosh, playing in a slow-paced offense. His team also wins more and plays in the West. Amare/Boozer is debatable.

Sissiborgo
09-28-2008, 08:12 AM
Damn right Duncan nr.1....:toast