PDA

View Full Version : Top Ten Most Athletic Basketball Athletes

Galileo
09-27-2008, 05:46 PM
1. Magic Johnson

Only 6' 9" player with lgitimate point guards skills, no one else is anywhere near close. Magic lead the NBA in steals because of his quickness early in his career. There have many many dubbed "The next Magic Johnson". All have turned out to be 6' 7" with iffy big guard skills, none with point guard skills.

Wilt Chamberlain

7' 1" with world class high jumping and long jumping skills.

Ralph Sampson

The only athletic 7' 4" player who ever lived.

DRob

A better athlete than Akeem and 2 inches taller.

Shaq

The quickest 300 pound 7 footer ever.

Kareem

The most coordinated 7' 2" player of all time.

Bill Russell

The quickest 6' 9" player of all time.

Dominique

His brother got bad genes and still made the NBA.

Spencer Haywood - could jump up and put a quarter on top of the backboard, the highest vertical reach of all time.

Connie Hawkins

This dude was amazing, the best NBA talent in between Wilt and Kareem.

Dr. J

Giant hands, super duper leaping ability, 6' 7"

The Dream

Jordan

14. Dr. Dunkenstein Darrell Griffith

48" vertical leap

David "Skywalker" Thompson

45" vertical leap

Honorable Mention:

Mugsy Bogues

Five inches shorter than the next shortest legitimate NBA basketball player.

OK, let the debates begin!

:bang

:ihit

:nope

Allanon
09-27-2008, 06:47 PM
If you want to talk about athletic all-time, you can't leave out guys like

Vince Carter - Air Canada
Dennis Rodman - very deceivingly athletic, the best rebounder ever
LeBron - the ultimate combination of speed, power and grace

mavs>spurs2
09-27-2008, 06:48 PM
On top of all that he was also the strongest man to ever play the game.

Are you sure about that? Chamberlain weighed about 275 while Shaq weighed about 350 in his laker days, I think Wilt would get uprooted out of position and dunked on like everyone else.

FromWayDowntown
09-27-2008, 06:53 PM
Who makes a top 10 list with 15 entries?

Galileo
09-27-2008, 07:17 PM
I've never heard of Shaq lifting cars. Sure he weighed a lot more but that doesn't mean Wilt wouldn't have been able to block Shaq like he did with everyone else.

And Dennis Rodman was not the best rebounder od all time, I still say Wilt is follwoed by Russell. They were amazing. Both were in the 20s and 25s per game a good part of their carrers. Sure people can talk about average heights back then were shorter but I bet it would be hard for anyone on any level to grab 25 rebounds a game for a 10 game span, much less a 80+ game season.

In game 7 of the 1962 NBA Finals, Russell had 30 points and 44 REBOUNDS!

ChuckD
09-27-2008, 07:20 PM
Sorry to burst your bubble, but Magic just wasn't that athletic, on an NBA level. I'd put him in the 50th percentile, and the 95% percentile of court vision. Strangely enough, that's about the same percentile that I'd have put JKidd in on both of those non-related attributes.

SenorSpur
09-27-2008, 07:21 PM
I've never heard of Shaq lifting cars. Sure he weighed a lot more but that doesn't mean Wilt wouldn't have been able to block Shaq like he did with everyone else.

And Dennis Rodman was not the best rebounder od all time, I still say Wilt is follwoed by Russell. They were amazing. Both were in the 20s and 25s per game a good part of their carrers. Sure people can talk about average heights back then were shorter but I bet it would be hard for anyone on any level to grab 25 rebounds a game for a 10 game span, much less a 80+ game season.

Wilt put up rebounding numbers the way the Celtics hung championship banners. This dude was an absolutely insane rebounder.

Then Russell. Then Rodman. In fact, Rodman was probably the more noteworthy rebounder because of the era in which he played (more superior athletes) and his height 6'7".

Galileo
09-27-2008, 07:23 PM
Wilt put up rebounding numbers the way the Celtics hung championship banners. This dude was an absolutely insane rebounder.

Then Russell. Then Rodman. In fact, Rodman was probably the more noteworthy rebounder because of the era in which he played (more superior athletes) and his height 6'7".

Don't forget about Jerome Lane.

Galileo
09-27-2008, 07:24 PM
Sorry to burst your bubble, but Magic just wasn't that athletic, on an NBA level. I'd put him in the 50th percentile, and the 95% percentile of court vision. Strangely enough, that's about the same percentile that I'd have put JKidd in on both of those non-related attributes.

You've got to be a super athlete to play point guard in the NBA.

mystargtr34
09-27-2008, 07:27 PM
Wilt's rebounding rate hovered around 20-22 most of his career, which is about Dwight Howard level, and a lot less than Dennis Rodman.

When you consider he was playing in a much shorter league than todays, i would say his rebounding was highly over rated. Looking at raw totals was a little mis leading.

ChuckD
09-27-2008, 07:28 PM

Mark Jackson [/end of ridiculous notion]

Spur-Addict
09-27-2008, 07:30 PM
Mark Jackson [/end of ridiculous notion]

:lmao---Well said.

mavs>spurs2
09-27-2008, 07:32 PM

exactly, theyre competing against much bigger athletes so they have to counter by being that much quicker. a point guard that isn't quick would just get trapped and wouldnt be able to get the ball down the court. and to drive on a taller man you have to be quick to create space. not to mention slow players kill ball movement, unless they're playing in the post, and a point guard that kills ball movement is defeating the purpose of point guard.

SenorSpur
09-27-2008, 07:33 PM
1. Magic Johnson

Only 6' 9" player with lgitimate point guards skills, no one else is anywhere near close. Magic lead the NBA in steals because of his quickness early in his career. There have many many dubbed "The next Magic Johnson". All have turned out to be 6' 7" with iffy big guard skills, none with point guard skills.

Of all the so-called "Magic Johnson wannabes", I'd have to say Micheal Ray Richardson probably came the closest. At 6'5", his game resembled Magic's in so many ways. He was a competent scorer, could get to the basket, at will and boy could he pass the rock.

Defensively, he was a much better defender "on-the-ball", pressing, kind-of- perimeter defender than Buck. The master of the "on-the-ball" swipe, he even led the NBA in steals a couple of seasons. He played passing lanes incredibly well and was even a good rebounder - like Magic. Hell, he even physically resembled Magic.

At the height of his career, he was a pereninnal all-star and was considered, undoubtedly, one of the 2 best PGs in the league. Remember he predated Stockton. Even Magic himself, said how much he hated playing against "Sugar".

Had his career not been so severely derailed by drugs, there's no doubt he was headed to the Hall of Fame.

ChuckD
09-27-2008, 07:44 PM

Mark Price

ChuckD

John Stockton

ChuckD

Steve Blake

ChuckD
09-27-2008, 07:47 PM

Terry Porter

ChuckD
09-27-2008, 07:48 PM

John Paxson

Dex
09-27-2008, 07:49 PM
James Gist!

baseline bum
09-27-2008, 07:52 PM
I've never seen anyone as quick off his feet as Russell. I still can't believe the way he could get up and block a shot straight up to be able to grab the rebound. Russell may be the smartest player this league has ever had also. I'd vote Russell with Dominique coming in second.

mavs>spurs2
09-27-2008, 08:04 PM
To the guy listing point guards, those guys are more the exception than the rule, and just because you aren't a high flyer doesn't mean that you aren't athletic. Alot of those guys are quicker than your average NBA player but just don't jump high.

Rummpd
09-27-2008, 08:47 PM
It has to be Wilt Chamberlain - sprinter, high jumper and pound for pound the strongest big man ever.

The two Davids Robinson and Thompson arguebly are too low and Johnson is a laughable choice - he was very skilled but the most athletic? - not even close.

In all sports two have to be considered - Jim Thorpe a better lacrosse player than a football player and Bo Jackson - all star in two professional sports and an Olympic quality sprinter before he got sadly hurt.

honestfool84
09-27-2008, 08:51 PM
you don't know how to count.
title: "Top Ten most Athletic Basketball Athletes"

total: fifteen.

ChuckD
09-27-2008, 09:39 PM
To the guy listing point guards, those guys are more the exception than the rule, and just because you aren't a high flyer doesn't mean that you aren't athletic. Alot of those guys are quicker than your average NBA player but just don't jump high.

Every one of those guys, except Blake, took their club to at LEAST the conference finals. I'd say that since they were contemporaries of Magic, except Blake, and I consider Magic in their group, that they are more the rule than the exception. They were the great ones.

I also never said they weren't athletic. You have to be to play in the L. What we are judging here are the greatest athletes in a group that must, by definition, be athletic. The freaks of nature. Most of my list are 50th percentile of NBA athletes, or below.

mavs>spurs2
09-27-2008, 09:45 PM
Every one of those guys, except Blake, took their club to at LEAST the conference finals. I'd say that since they were contemporaries of Magic, except Blake, and I consider Magic in their group, that they are more the rule than the exception. They were the great ones.

I also never said they weren't athletic. You have to be to play in the L. What we are judging here are the greatest athletes in a group that must, by definition, be athletic. The freaks of nature. Most of my list are 50th percentile of NBA athletes, or below.

So what you are saying is that you don't necessarily have to be athletic to play point guard? But you agree that most point guards are super athletic? They are usually the quickest guys on the team, guys like iverson wade tim hardaway etc come to mind. An unathletic point guard is a team killer in a lot of ways IMO because it kills ball movement.

tlongII
09-27-2008, 09:46 PM
The most athletic bball player ever is MJ and it isn't even close.

ShoogarBear
09-27-2008, 10:03 PM
Sorry to burst your bubble, but Magic just wasn't that athletic, on an NBA level. I'd put him in the 50th percentile, and the 95% percentile of court vision.

Exactly right on the athleticism. I think you underrate his court vision, more like 99%. And he probably was the smartest basketball player ever, with the exception of Russell.

Dramon
09-27-2008, 10:22 PM
AI is pretty atheletic..

Roxsfan
09-27-2008, 11:01 PM
DRob

Not a better athlete than Akeem.

^Fixed:rolleyes

ShoogarBear
09-27-2008, 11:08 PM
Could Hakeem ever walk across a court on his hands?

ChuckD
09-27-2008, 11:17 PM
So what you are saying is that you don't necessarily have to be athletic to play point guard? But you agree that most point guards are super athletic? They are usually the quickest guys on the team, guys like iverson wade tim hardaway etc come to mind. An unathletic point guard is a team killer in a lot of ways IMO because it kills ball movement.

Mav fan doesn't understand that the fastest dribbler in the world is slower than any good pass. That's how you generate ball movement. AI is quick as lightning, but with the exception of the few years he played for LB, his teams had some of the worst ball movement in the history of the L. Fast ball hogs generate shit. Slow guys with court vision can run the break and open up any offense. I agree that a slow guy who tries to dominate the ball will kill your offense, but so will a fast guy who does the same. He'll get his, but damn near nobody else will. Even MJ figured out that if he played off Pippen and cut his numbers about 10% that the Bulls were lethal. The easiest way to score on an unselfish team is to give up the ball. Most defenders, such as they are in today's NBA, only keep track of where the ball is, not where their man is back cutting to.

ChuckD
09-27-2008, 11:19 PM
Could Hakeem ever walk the length of the court on his hands?

FIFY

Hakeem had post footwork in the top 3 I ever saw in the NBA, Dream, McHale, Duncan, but he was about 90% of the pure raw athlete that David Robinson was, and that ain't no shit. That's also not an insult, as it puts him in the 90th percentile. Robinson was off the bell curve.

tp2021
09-27-2008, 11:34 PM
Redundant thread title is redundant

mavs>spurs2
09-27-2008, 11:58 PM
Mav fan doesn't understand that the fastest dribbler in the world is slower than any good pass. That's how you generate ball movement. AI is quick as lightning, but with the exception of the few years he played for LB, his teams had some of the worst ball movement in the history of the L. Fast ball hogs generate shit. Slow guys with court vision can run the break and open up any offense. I agree that a slow guy who tries to dominate the ball will kill your offense, but so will a fast guy who does the same. He'll get his, but damn near nobody else will. Even MJ figured out that if he played off Pippen and cut his numbers about 10% that the Bulls were lethal. The easiest way to score on an unselfish team is to give up the ball. Most defenders, such as they are in today's NBA, only keep track of where the ball is, not where their man is back cutting to.

I understand all of this perfectly clear, but point guards are still athletic. Parker, Wade, Iverson, Ellis, Nash, Williams, Paul, etc are all lightning quick and excellent footwork being able to change directions. Nash could have gone pro at 2 sports, he's very athletic. They all qualify as being super athletic I don't see what you're trying to argue. Point guards are athletic period, hence why I agreed with Galileo. Nothing to do with MJ, the Bulls, or any other irrelevant things you're talking about, nothing more or less.

rascal
09-28-2008, 12:20 AM
Pete Maravich and Jason Kidd are examples of athletic. PGs are generally the most athletic position in basketball because they handle the ball and run the offense most of the time.

I would not say Wilt.
If you ever saw Wilt play he was a bit awkward and stiff but he was just so much bigger than most everyone else he over powered them.

dbestpro
09-28-2008, 12:50 AM
To me there is a difference between being a great basketball player and being a great athletic basketball player. My top 10 is

1. Michael Jordan
2. Julius Erving
3. Dominue Wilkens
4. David Thompson
5. Connie Hawkins
6. Kobe Bryant
7. Darrell Griffith
8. David Robinson
9. Vince Carter
10. Dennis Rodman

polandprzem
09-28-2008, 01:20 AM
Robert Pack!

No but seriusly, Toni Kukoc was as athletic as you can get. He could dribble like no one before him (however Mutombo was close). He could drive and dunk on you and you would no even realize it was him! He was as fast sprinter as Bolt, could swim as good as Phelps, he was running long distances like Kenenisa Bekele and all that in one person. You can't argue!

Umm, I think Wilt need to be considered no1 no matter what - he was ahead at that reagard in his era. (btw. at his times player were mesured without snickers).
I winder why nobody mentioned Karl Malone, guy could smash the dunk on your face real quick and with his size it was demolition.

Mikan and Pettit were quite athletic in their times ... then came the black human and changed the face of NBA. Elgin Baylor, Unseld, dr J ... Kukoc

mavs>spurs2
09-28-2008, 02:01 AM
Robert Pack!

No but seriusly, Toni Kukoc was as athletic as you can get. He could dribble like no one before him (however Mutombo was close). He could drive and dunk on you and you would no even realize it was him! He was as fast sprinter as Bolt, could swim as good as Phelps, he was running long distances like Kenenisa Bekele and all that in one person. You can't argue!

Umm, I think Wilt need to be considered no1 no matter what - he was ahead at that reagard in his era. (btw. at his times player were mesured without snickers).
I winder why nobody mentioned Karl Malone, guy could smash the dunk on your face real quick and with his size it was demolition.

Mikan and Pettit were quite athletic in their times ... then came the black human and changed the face of NBA. Elgin Baylor, Unseld, dr J ... Kukoc

are you high, my racist little friend?

Dramon
09-28-2008, 03:41 AM
It's hard to compare athletes now to ones back in the day.

Athletes now just have much better training and conditioning as well as shoes and related gear. Almost everyone nowadays lifts weights versus back in the day it wasn't as encouraged like it is now becuase they thought it would slow you down and you'd lose mobility and that was that.

Not to mention how far stuff like supplements and shoe technology has come.

But its like this in every sport. There's a reason that world records keep getting broken and athletes keep getting faster and faster and are able to jump higher than they were.

Sure Wilt was dominant back in the day but its hard to argue his effectiveness if he were to play in today's NBA. I'm not saying he wasn't a great athlete back then, i'm just saying you really can't compare them. If you do want to be hypothetical though, just think about how dominant someone like Tony Parker or Dwade would be if they could play 35 years ago.

MI21
09-28-2008, 04:56 AM
This all depends on what criteria you are using to define athletic.

Magic wasn't athletic in regards to speed or jumping, but I've always admired his agility at such a large size. The way he moved and his body control were both incredible. Just think back, on all those showtime fast breaks how many times can you ever remember Magic being out of control and commiting offensive fouls? Very very rarely.

The OP said no one the size of Magic has played PG since him... well, there is um, you know, LeBron James. He doesn't quite have the absolute control and balance of Magic but obviously murders him in raw speed, jumping and strength.

mathbzh
09-28-2008, 05:02 AM
It is true that you must define athletism before to compare players.

I am almost certain, Baby Shaq (Sofoklis Schortsanitis) is stronger that anyone on that list except (maybe) Shaq and Wilt... is it enough to qualify him as athletic?
If you consider quickness, Parker is obviously very athletic... but what about strength?
Nowadays, Lebron is a nice athletic combo... but is not the quickest, not the strongest...

mathbzh
09-28-2008, 05:10 AM
I wonder if, as the 208th pick in the 1984 draft, Carl Lewis qualifies as an athletic basketball player.

SpurSupremacist
09-28-2008, 05:39 AM
How on earth is LeBron not on this list, let alone not #1? He's just as tall as Magic AND he's bigger(wide, PF-type frame). He has just as good of vision as Magic, if not better. Remember, Magic played with HoF's, LeBron doesn't even play with All-Stars. Plus, he's asked to score way more than Magic. He's also fifteen times the defender Magic was. Just look at Team USA this year, he was their best defender, and it wasn't even close. LeBron is #1, Wilt is #2, Vince Carter is #3.

biba
09-28-2008, 07:36 AM
mystargtr34
Wilt's rebounding rate hovered around 20-22 most of his career, which is about Dwight Howard level, and a lot less than Dennis Rodman.

When you consider he was playing in a much shorter league than todays, i would say his rebounding was highly over rated. Looking at raw totals was a little mis leading.

??? ???

Rebounding average:

Chamberlain: 24
Howard: 12
Rodman: 12

Chamberlain = Howard + Rodman

Sissiborgo
09-28-2008, 08:15 AM
Well Magic should be nr.1 but Walt should not be nr.2....

diego
09-28-2008, 09:27 AM
i got more curious about wilt's statistics so i went over to bball reference and checked out the league leaders for the 60's... and i think the conclusion is is that wilt's stats arent really the best thing to base his status on. Yes, they are godly stats and will never be repeated. But on the other hand, there are several players in his era that did things that are very uncommon now- play 45+ minutes, average 15+ and even 20+ rebounds, average 30+ points, and most of them arent considered "best ever" or "most athletic ever," although many are highly distinguished players in their own right (pettit, russel, west, robertson to name a few being the most recurrent, but others being totally unknown to me).

so i think its fairly safe to say that, regardless of differences in athleticism between eras, there are significant differences in multiple areas that make it impossible to compare them based on numbers.

if anything, wilt's status and what makes him different is the fact that there is a legend around him to begin with. but i dont think you can say he is twice the scorer as someone today because he averaged 50+ one season. or that he is twice the rebounder because he averaged 27 one season- that season you had russel with 24, petit with 20 and baylor with 20. Distinguished players to be sure, but is anyone going to argue that baylor is a better rebounder than duncan?

anyway for pure athleticism i dont take baskeball skill or accomplishments into account, and given the eras I am familiar with i think of guys like kemp and larry johnson who fit the lebron mold of size, speed, strength and hops as the real athletic freaks of the NBA. i dont see what court vision or ball IQ have to do with athleticism, sorry magic!

polandprzem
09-28-2008, 09:45 AM
are you high, my racist little friend?

If it gives me even more advantage on you, yup I'm high.

Not only Wilt was lifting weights back then.
The difference is medicine and knowledge about human body.

It is always a problem to compare guys from different era, not only they played in different environments (teammates, opponents, coaches etc). Their development abilities are far from equal.

IMO when you look at Baylor and LeBron you can see the difference in being athletic, but their play was quite similar.

stretch
09-28-2008, 10:56 AM
this has got to be the stupidest fucking list i've ever seen

stretch
09-28-2008, 11:01 AM
and Lebron is unquestionably the most gifted athlete in NBA history, and is among the all times greatest all-around athletes ever, with guys such as Bo Jackson and Deion.

and fuck the idiots saying Wilt. he played in an era that MAJORLY lacked athleticism. dunking and rebounding on a bunch of unathletic 6'6 white guys is nothing too special. im sure Shaq could have averaged a good 60-70 PPG in that era if he wanted to.

Rummpd
09-28-2008, 11:58 AM
and Lebron is unquestionably the most gifted athlete in NBA history, and is among the all times greatest all-around athletes ever, with guys such as Bo Jackson and Deion.

and fuck the idiots saying Wilt. he played in an era that MAJORLY lacked athleticism. dunking and rebounding on a bunch of unathletic 6'6 white guys is nothing too special. im sure Shaq could have averaged a good 60-70 PPG in that era if he wanted to.

Your really not informed if you do not think Wilt was at least = LeBron in athletism. In reality, Wilt >> James. Wilt was faster, a better jumper, far stronger and even reduced in size to James, would be the superior athlete. Not even debatable. LeBron is not a world class spinter, jumper or shot put athlete like Wilt was, and although very strong and talented is simply not a Wilt.

Matchman
09-28-2008, 01:05 PM
i kno this picture is getting old but that list is an epic fail just because LeBron and Vince Carter isnt on that list:
http://samuelpablo.files.wordpress.com/2008/01/epic_fail.jpg

Matchman
09-28-2008, 01:07 PM
and i think Shawn Kemp deserves to be on that list too

Dramon
09-28-2008, 01:19 PM
Your really not informed if you do not think Wilt was at least = LeBron in athletism. In reality, Wilt >> James. Wilt was faster, a better jumper, far stronger and even reduced in size to James, would be the superior athlete. Not even debatable. LeBron is not a world class spinter, jumper or shot put athlete like Wilt was, and although very strong and talented is simply not a Wilt.
But would Wilt still be a world class sprinter jumper or shot put athlete compared to standards now? Times and distances to be considered world class have come a long long way since then.

ALVAREZ6
09-28-2008, 02:00 PM
WTF is this a list of athletic tall players?

WTF??

I think Jordan, Carter, Lebron, etc, all deserve to be high up. Especially since its about athleticism....

and because it is, what about Nate Robinson...he's like 5'8" and can do the sickest dunks and jump high as hell for being so short and considering he has shorter arms, and he's also strong as shit too.

Bobsyeruncle
09-28-2008, 02:06 PM
It has to be Wilt Chamberlain - sprinter, high jumper and pound for pound the strongest big man ever.

The two Davids Robinson and Thompson arguebly are too low and Johnson is a laughable choice - he was very skilled but the most athletic? - not even close.

In all sports two have to be considered - Jim Thorpe a better lacrosse player than a football player and Bo Jackson - all star in two professional sports and an Olympic quality sprinter before he got sadly hurt.
Have to agree with you about Wilt. Dude was an amazing physical specimen. He could have kept playing after the '73 season, but he retired. Then after coaching for a season, he decided to play freakin' beach volleyball! Wilt was an amazing athlete, and pretty studly with the ladies too.

stretch
09-28-2008, 02:49 PM

nothing but a bunch of ridiculous nostalgia. the same reason why people never shut the fuck up about 80s basketball, wilt and russell, michael jordan, joe montana, and other great old school players (who unquestionably are great, but its not like they are fucking "Jesus's" of their sports as some idiots portray them to be). unfortunately, im going to be sick of modern players in about 20 years, because all everyone will be talking about is the greatness of guys like Lebron, Chris Paul, Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, and such, when in fact, there will be bigger and better players than them by then. as workout regimens, strategies, and fundamentals become more and more sophisticated through time, people will take what made these previous players great, master those skills, and build upon them. fucking morons need to get over it.

and im not even going to begin to debate how idiotic your post is. it is stupid and misinformed on so many levels (as are a large majority of your posts, period) i dont even know where to begin.

stretch
09-28-2008, 02:50 PM
and i think Shawn Kemp deserves to be on that list too

shawn kemp is a hell of an athlete. definitely worthy of debate.

Rummpd
09-28-2008, 03:51 PM
nothing but a bunch of ridiculous nostalgia. the same reason why people never shut the fuck up about 80s basketball, wilt and russell, michael jordan, joe montana, and other great old school players (who unquestionably are great, but its not like they are fucking "Jesus's" of their sports as some idiots portray them to be). unfortunately, im going to be sick of modern players in about 20 years, because all everyone will be talking about is the greatness of guys like Lebron, Chris Paul, Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, and such, when in fact, there will be bigger and better players than them by then. as workout regimens, strategies, and fundamentals become more and more sophisticated through time, people will take what made these previous players great, master those skills, and build upon them. fucking morons need to get over it.

and im not even going to begin to debate how idiotic your post is. it is stupid and misinformed on so many levels (as are a large majority of your posts, period) i dont even know where to begin.

Not worth debating - no one in their right mind would say LeBron (for all his basketball talent and chisled physique) is more athletic than Wilt if they ever saw Wilt up close (and I did). I also went to grad school and met Bo Jackson and would put Wilt in his rarest of athlete of all time class. Wilt was the most amazing player ever in the NBA and the most all around athletic. LeBron is arguebly not even the most athletic today - Philadelphia's Iguodala can do anything LeBron can athletically for one.

Wake me when you ever get paid to write as a sportswriter (as I have) or have worked around elite athletes as a sports physician - which I have including Shaq's high school.

Galileo
09-28-2008, 03:53 PM
shawn kemp is a hell of an athlete. definitely worthy of debate.

I should have put Shawn Kemp on the list. He's taller than Jordan and a more explosive jumper.

Lebron should have been listed as well.

btw

Mark Price was a hell of an athlete and so was John Stockton.

ChuckD
09-28-2008, 04:31 PM
Mark Price was a hell of an athlete and so was John Stockton.
By human standards? Yes. By NBA standards? Pedestrian and average come to mind.

Galileo
09-28-2008, 06:11 PM
By human standards? Yes. By NBA standards? Pedestrian and average come to mind.

John Stockton is the alltime NBA leader in steals. That's because he is cat-quick like a cat.

century
09-28-2008, 06:12 PM
By definition Karl Malone has to be ahead of Robinson given how he kicked Robinson's ass and Robinson was too afraid of him to do anything about it.

MrChug
09-28-2008, 08:04 PM
I always thought that Shawn Kemp was a freak of nature for his size. Most of us here know some tall dude (over 6'6") that can barely walk much less do anything athletically and every inch you grow, the more difficult it gets.

Of that criteria, you have to say 5-0, Lebron, Kobe, Shaq, Michael (duh), David Thompson, Vince Carter, Dwight Howard, Yao Ming, etc. are pretty damn exceptional.

I'd like to say I could go on forever and point out the physical freaks, but I can't there are many more, but it's not endless in basketball. I hope you see my point.

Magic is pretty rediculous to the "athletic" argument though as great as he was...

MrChug
09-28-2008, 08:07 PM
That's because he is cat-quick like a cat.

He was also dirt-dirty...like dirt.

peskypesky
09-28-2008, 08:16 PM
Vinny Del Negro

stretch
09-28-2008, 09:05 PM
Not worth debating - no one in their right mind would say LeBron (for all his basketball talent and chisled physique) is more athletic than Wilt if they ever saw Wilt up close (and I did). I also went to grad school and met Bo Jackson and would put Wilt in his rarest of athlete of all time class. Wilt was the most amazing player ever in the NBA and the most all around athletic. LeBron is arguebly not even the most athletic today - Philadelphia's Iguodala can do anything LeBron can athletically for one.

Wake me when you ever get paid to write as a sportswriter (as I have) or have worked around elite athletes as a sports physician - which I have including Shaq's high school.

:sleep

I call bullshit.

How about you prove to me that he actually is better in all these aspects as you say? Until you do, you have zero backing and shutting the fuck up at this point would be the only positive thing you could do.

polandprzem
09-29-2008, 01:12 AM
As he did at Overbrook, Chamberlain again showcased his diverse athletic talent. He ran the 100-yard dash in 10.9 seconds, threw the shotput 56 feet, triple jumped more than 50 feet, and won the high jump in the Big Eight track and field championships three straight years.

wikipedia

AC#21_TD ERA
09-29-2008, 01:29 AM
The greatest sportsman ever Michael Jordan at 13, come on he should at least be in the top 8. He actually flew with the ball for a few seconds. He defied gravity.

http://www.geocities.com/jordanwallpaper2/multimedia2/1024X768WallpaperAJ3.jpg

Now that's ridiculously athletic.

anakha
09-29-2008, 02:21 AM
Methinks the whole argument over athleticism of people like Mark Price stems from the distinction between 'athletic' and 'skilled' getting a bit blurry.

mavs>spurs2
09-29-2008, 02:26 AM
Methinks the whole argument over athleticism of people like Mark Price stems from the distinction between 'athletic' and 'skilled' getting a bit blurry.

yeah, but don't you agree that hes more the exception than the rule? most point guards are super athletic..think of the top point guards today...paul, parker, williams, nash, ai, are all lightning quick.

mathbzh
09-29-2008, 02:54 AM
It is obvious that this list is biased with the skill level of the considered players.
Because, in the league you have a ton of players who are oustanding athletes (Stromile Swift, Mahinmi...) but average to bad basketball players. I don't know the history of the league well, but I think a lot of players have been more athletic that some of the listed ones.

anakha
09-29-2008, 02:56 AM
yeah, but don't you agree that hes more the exception than the rule? most point guards are super athletic..think of the top point guards today...paul, parker, williams, nash, ai, are all lightning quick.

Wouldn't that phenomenon be more due to the upward trend in athleticism of players as a whole?

It's hard to look at just the current generation and conclude that this must have been the physical requirements of PGs in the past - it assumes too much.

stretch
09-29-2008, 08:23 AM
I can't back up Rummpd on his claims of seeing Wilt or working at Shaq's high school, but I can tell you that on all accounts Wilt Chamberlain was a better athlete than LeBron in everyway. Wilt could jump higher, run faster, and last longer on the court than LeBron. On top of that Wilt is easily stronger than LeBron. Wilt always threw his dunks down with strong power, so strong in fact that he once broke another player's toe after a dunk. Also it is hard to understand just how big Wilt was. He is a good way to put it. Luke Jackson was 6'7" and 270, standing next to Wilt Jackson looked like nothing, and that was in his 6er days. Later in his carrer Wilt became bigger in the legs and sholders when he got hurt on the 70s Laker team. All he did with the majority of the season off was lift run rehab and play vollyball(thats when he started to play vollyball)

Take it from someone who is informed on this stuff, Wilt is a much better athlete than LeBron, I'm not saying anything against LeBron, but Wilt was an absolute freak of nature. He was truely a god among men.

and you are saying this entirely based off of what you REMEMBER about Wilt (which this was like 30-40 years ago). but how much do you know about lebron? have you seen him in person? do you know what kinds of things he is capable of? id put money on it that you dont know shit about lebron and what he can do. until you do, kindly shut hell up.

MrChug
09-29-2008, 09:05 AM
and you are saying this entirely based off of what you REMEMBER about Wilt (which this was like 30-40 years ago). but how much do you know about lebron? have you seen him in person? do you know what kinds of things he is capable of? id put money on it that you dont know shit about lebron and what he can do. until you do, kindly shut hell up.

How fucking old are you assholeSTRETCH? I mean, you've ALWAYS been known for your moronic posts, but I never thought you had no idea who Wilt was.

Rummpd
09-29-2008, 09:52 AM
:sleep

I call bullshit.

How about you prove to me that he actually is better in all these aspects as you say? Until you do, you have zero backing and shutting the fuck up at this point would be the only positive thing you could do.

I just saw this is from a Mavs fan - that about speaks for itself!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=woe-aIsOrzU

Also from a blog on his freakish abilities:

http://mb.trackandfieldnews.com/discussion/viewtopic.php?t=698&highlight=&sid=a63c5d4511d079fb9b685a38d1c61742

Wilt speaks on athletic ability - also from Wilt is not a one-sport man, either. At Overbrook High School in Philly, he high jumped 6 feet, 6 inches, ran the 440 in 49.0 seconds and the 880 in 1:58.3, put the shot 53 feet, 4 inches, broad jumped 22 feet."... these numbers oome from the following website: http://www.sportingnews.com/archives/wilt/article3.html

He also founded a volleyball league and played that sport well and is the Volleyball HOF.

Those that don't believe Wilt was a freak of nature - read and learn what he was doing even at the HS level. There has never been another Wilt and there never will be and he will always be in the discussion of greatest athletes of all time. James, obviously a great and rare athletic specialist, i.e. one sport, may eventually get into the discussion.

stretch
09-29-2008, 11:41 AM
How fucking old are you assholeSTRETCH? I mean, you've ALWAYS been known for your moronic posts, but I never thought you had no idea who Wilt was.

actually im quite aware of who Wilt is MrChugs cock. i know he was a hell of an athlete. but i think its unfair to just assume since he was a world class athlete in his day, that Lebron isnt a world class athlete today, in an era where athletes are FARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR superior.

i never once said wilt wasnt a great athlete. all ive said is the hype about wilt is a bunch of nostalgia and people forget how easy it was for him to get his stats, considering the lack of skill and athleticism in his era. he was WAY ahead of his time, as many people say Jordan was ahead of his time, or Pistol Pete was ahead of his time, or Walter Payton was ahead of his time, and such.

i also said its ridiculous to say that Lebron cannot be considered an athlete on his level, considering hes freaking 6'9 and like 260lbs. he is so fast and coordinated that he can run the entire length of the court in i believe only 3 dribbles. the guy has magnificent touch around the rim, yet can completely shred through the strongest of defenders like tin foil. the guy has an outrageous vertical and is explosive as hell in both acceleration and jumping ability. the guy is a magnificent athlete. to say he doesnt compare to wilt is fucking stupid.

stretch
09-29-2008, 11:43 AM
Those that don't believe Wilt was a freak of nature - read and learn what he was doing even at the HS level. There has never been another Wilt and there never will be and he will always be in the discussion of greatest athletes of all time. James, obviously a great and rare athletic specialist, i.e. one sport, may eventually get into the discussion.

I never said he isnt one of the greatest athletes ever, considering he absolutely is. (IMO the greatest all around athlete ever is Bo Jackson)

However, keep in mind the title of the thread... most athletic BASKETBALL athletes. you are fucking stupid.

Dramon
09-29-2008, 12:03 PM
Lebron played football too. And I would hardly call him a specialist.

Wilt's numbers are good especially for his size but there are lots of NBA players that could match him nowadays.

JamStone
09-29-2008, 12:18 PM
It's getting redundant, but Wilt was "probably" the greatest athlete the NBA has ever seen. LeBron is a phenomenal athlete in his own right, but we know a few things about Wilt that we may never know about LeBron.

Wilt was a world class middle distance runner and high jumper. He was also elite in the shot put and sprint on a national level. While LeBron played football, I don't think we know how "strong" or "fast" he is in terms of measurables. And, Wilt had about a 48-50 inch vertical jump, better than guys like Jordan and David Thompson.

And, you cannot simply ask would Wilt have that same status by today's standards because today Wilt would have the same advantages of nutrition, training, lifting, and medical technology that today's athletes have. It's like comparing Olympic swimmers of the past not being able to hang with today's swimmers that wear swim caps and goggles, wear aerodynamic suits, shave their bodies, and actually train year round. Can't compare. But, we know that Wilt was up there in his era.

If we could find out LeBron's 100 meter, 400 meter and mile times, his shot put distance, high jump, shot put, bench press, and vertical jump (that must be available somewhere), then we could better compare.

But, with what we do know, it's silly to suggest Wilt isn't at least "arguably" the best athlete in the history of the NBA.

stretch
09-29-2008, 12:27 PM
It's getting redundant, but Wilt was "probably" the greatest athlete the NBA has ever seen. LeBron is a phenomenal athlete in his own right, but we know a few things about Wilt that we may never know about LeBron.

Wilt was a world class middle distance runner and high jumper. He was also elite in the shot put and sprint on a national level. While LeBron played football, I don't think we know how "strong" or "fast" he is in terms of measurables. And, Wilt had about a 48-50 inch vertical jump, better than guys like Jordan and David Thompson.

And, you cannot simply ask would Wilt have that same status by today's standards because today Wilt would have the same advantages of nutrition, training, lifting, and medical technology that today's athletes have. It's like comparing Olympic swimmers of the past not being able to hang with today's swimmers that wear swim caps and goggles, wear aerodynamic suits, shave their bodies, and actually train year round. Can't compare. But, we know that Wilt was up there in his era.

If we could find out LeBron's 100 meter, 400 meter and mile times, his shot put distance, high jump, shot put, bench press, and vertical jump (that must be available somewhere), then we could better compare.

But, with what we do know, it's silly to suggest Wilt isn't at least "arguably" the best athlete in the history of the NBA.

hi lebron hater

JamStone
09-29-2008, 12:30 PM
What's up, LeBron cocksucker.

stretch
09-29-2008, 01:02 PM
What's up, LeBron cocksucker.

not much. how is going A2M with wilt's dead corpse going for ya? (along with rummpd, mr chug, and the idiot with the steven a smith avatar.)

SenorSpur
09-29-2008, 01:23 PM
I never said he isnt one of the greatest athletes ever, considering he absolutely is. (IMO the greatest all around athlete ever is Bo Jackson)

However, keep in mind the title of the thread... most athletic BASKETBALL athletes. you are fucking stupid.

Here, hear!

Jackson is the probably the only athlete to become dominant at two sports. I believe he made the Pro Bowl and the MLB All-Star team in the same season. He certainly played at an all-star level in both sports until that tragic injury he suffered when he was horse-collared during that long run versus the Bengals.

Rummpd
09-29-2008, 01:35 PM

I brought up that great athletes are great in several sports, Iverson for example is another example of a great two sport athlete - he was an award winning high school quarterback. To consider great athletes one has to put them on a plane with their peers, and Chamberlain is up there with the all time greats, and James does deserve some consideration for his athletic abilities, I grant you that and there are many current and former NBA athletes that are just incredible combinations of speed, flexibility, endurance, and other athletic attributes - many of which are due to genetics, but also enhanced more these days by training and nutrition (and one still wonders in some cases by drugs or other enhancers), but that does not mean that former unreal athletic specimens (i.e. Chamberlain, Jordan, Robertson, Spencer Haywood, David Thompson, and Russell and many others) should be discounted from current discussion.

Finally, Mr. Stretch I will put my IQ, academic credentials, and life accomplishments up against you anyday and refuse to go down to your level of profanity.

Like you I love the NBA, sports and healthy arguements, and agree to disagree.

stretch
09-29-2008, 01:40 PM
Blah blah blah bullshit bullshit bullshit

Neat.

stretch
09-29-2008, 01:42 PM
Here, hear!

Jackson is the probably the only athlete to become dominant at two sports. I believe he made the Pro Bowl and the MLB All-Star team in the same season. He certainly played at an all-star level in both sports until that tragic injury he suffered when he was horse-collared during that long run versus the Bengals.

Indeed. The dude was simply not human. To combine the coordination, balance, speed, agility, size, finesse, and power the way he did... :wow

Galileo
09-29-2008, 01:45 PM
Here, hear!

Jim Brown was a better athlete than Jackson. But Jim Brown is not tall enough to make the list of top basketball athletes.

Rick Leach starred in college for 4 years as Michigan's quarterback, with over 100 touchdowns running and passing, then he went and played about 10 years as a major league baseball player.

SenorSpur
09-29-2008, 01:57 PM
Jim Brown was a better athlete than Jackson. But Jim Brown is not tall enough to make the list of top basketabll athletes.

Rick Leach starred in college for 4 years as Michigan's quarterback, with over 100 touchdowns running and passing, then he went and played about 10 years as a major league baseball player.

I'm not discounting Jim Brown's credentials at all. For what it's worth, Brown was also an All-American Lacrosse player as well.

All I'm saying is that we have evidence, imperical evidence, that Bo dominated two professional sports during his heyday. Obviously, that gives him a leg up on those that didn't participate in dual sports. However it's evidence as to what a freak of an athlete he really was.

A guy like Deion Sanders played two sports, but he only dominated football - not baseball the way Bo did.

stretch
09-29-2008, 02:11 PM
Jim Brown was a better athlete than Jackson.

Proof?

Galileo
09-29-2008, 02:13 PM
I'm not discounting Jim Brown's credentials at all. For what it's worth, Brown was also an All-American Lacrosse player as well.

All I'm saying is that we have evidence, imperical evidence, that Bo dominated two professional sports during his heyday. Obviously, that gives him a leg up on those that didn't participate in dual sports. However it's evidence as to what a freak of an athlete he really was.

A guy like Deion Sanders played two sports, but he only dominated football - not baseball the way Bo did.

I don't think Bo dominated in any sport. He got hyped up because he won the Heisman in college.

In football, he ran over Brian Bosworth on Monday night football, and in baseball he won the all-star MVP and hit a home run in the game. Mostly, he struck out a lot.

Take away those two games, neither which meant a lot, and there's not much there.

Jim Briwn is considered by many to be the greatest La Crosse player of all time. Many think he's the greatest football player of all time as well.

Dave DeBusschere was an excellent pitcher, and then a star basketball player.

Ed "Too Tall" Jones was undefeated, 5-0, as a pro boxer.

Bert Campaneris played all 9 positions in one baseball game.

Satchel Page pitched MLB at the age of 65.

Gordie Howe played pro hockey into his 50s.

Babe Ruth was a star pitcher and a slugger with a high batting average.

Montgomery Ward won over 100 games as a pitcher through the age of only 21 years old! Then he switched to the infield and had over 2000 hits and over 1500 runs scored! Then he founded a department store.

Cap Anson batted over .300 for 27 consecutive years!

Barry Bonds and Bobby Bonds both made the 30-30 club (steals and home runs) multiple times.

Jim Thorpe played pro baseball for several years, won gold medals, and was a star football player.

Cal Hubbard made the football hall-of-fame as a star lineman for the Packers championship teams in 1928-29-30, then he made the baseball hall-of fame as an umpire.

Leon Wood was a star basketball player, now he's a star ref.

None of these people make the list of top basketball athletes.

Galileo
09-29-2008, 02:15 PM
Proof?

more rushing yards, more touchdowns, bigger, tougher faster, more rugged, fearless, more grueling.

Jim Brown AVERAGED 5.22 yards per carry, no one else has ever come close to that record.

He also AVERAGED over 100 yeards per game for his entire career, another record not touched.

mavs>spurs2
09-29-2008, 02:41 PM
And, Wilt had about a 48-50 inch vertical jump, better than guys like Jordan and David Thompson.

I don't know where people keep getting this stupid stat but if Wilt had a 50 inch vertical at 7'1 he would be able to put his nuts on the shot clock. a 7ft 1 guy with arms like Wilt has a standing reach of about 9ft 6, when u add 50 inches to that you get almost 14 feet, not to mention you jump higher when youre running as opposed to standing vertical. judging by video Dwight Howard looks much more athletic than Wilt and only reaches about 12 ft 6 which is spectacular. Again, no way Wilts vert was 50, sorry.

stretch
09-29-2008, 06:36 PM
more rushing yards, more touchdowns, bigger, tougher faster, more rugged, fearless, more grueling.

Jim Brown AVERAGED 5.22 yards per carry, no one else has ever come close to that record.

He also AVERAGED over 100 yeards per game for his entire career, another record not touched.

Worst reasoning I've ever heard.

And I'm not sure where you get the idea hes better in all these areas.

Bo had a short career, partly due to being an all-star in baseball, and also due to his injury. But for his career, Bo actually averaged more YPC than Jim Brown, at 5.4. He was also said to have run a 4.12 40-yard-dash. He was tough as it gets, shown especially during his injury where after dislocating his hip, he popped it back in place BY HIMSELF on the field, then walked out of the stadium on his own strength. Remember him running over a trash talking Brian Bosworth, who was supposed to be the next great monster LB? I dont think there was any questions about his strength, ruggedness, or fearlessness there.

Jim Brown was also another athlete far ahead of his time. Stick him in the game today, no way in hell he averages those numbers where he has to face defenses that are FAR bigger, faster, and stronger than they were in the days he played. He also played in seasons with less games, which makes a big difference as the year goes on and the RBs get more and more beat down. I'll take LT in his prime over Jim Brown in his prime.

stretch
09-29-2008, 06:40 PM
Take away those two games, neither which meant a lot, and there's not much there.

Shows how misinformed you are. Stop posting on the subject of Bo Jackson, please.

In fact, judging by your thread you started, stop talking about sports, period.

Galileo
09-29-2008, 09:06 PM
Worst reasoning I've ever heard.

And I'm not sure where you get the idea hes better in all these areas.

Bo had a short career, partly due to being an all-star in baseball, and also due to his injury. But for his career, Bo actually averaged more YPC than Jim Brown, at 5.4. He was also said to have run a 4.12 40-yard-dash. He was tough as it gets, shown especially during his injury where after dislocating his hip, he popped it back in place BY HIMSELF on the field, then walked out of the stadium on his own strength. Remember him running over a trash talking Brian Bosworth, who was supposed to be the next great monster LB? I dont think there was any questions about his strength, ruggedness, or fearlessness there.

Jim Brown was also another athlete far ahead of his time. Stick him in the game today, no way in hell he averages those numbers where he has to face defenses that are FAR bigger, faster, and stronger than they were in the days he played. He also played in seasons with less games, which makes a big difference as the year goes on and the RBs get more and more beat down. I'll take LT in his prime over Jim Brown in his prime.

Bo Jackson had better nutrition than Jim Brown. Give Brown modern conditioning and scientific training methods and Brown blows Bo out of the water Brown was more nimble than Bo, too.

:rollin

JamStone
09-29-2008, 09:15 PM
I don't know where people keep getting this stupid stat but if Wilt had a 50 inch vertical at 7'1 he would be able to put his nuts on the shot clock. a 7ft 1 guy with arms like Wilt has a standing reach of about 9ft 6, when u add 50 inches to that you get almost 14 feet, not to mention you jump higher when youre running as opposed to standing vertical. judging by video Dwight Howard looks much more athletic than Wilt and only reaches about 12 ft 6 which is spectacular. Again, no way Wilts vert was 50, sorry.

Approximately the 27 second mark. Sorry.

woe-aIsOrzU

dirk4mvp
09-29-2008, 09:59 PM
You do know that just because he says it doesn't mean it's true right?

Mr.Bottomtooth
09-29-2008, 10:04 PM

But it's Wilt. He would never lie to us.

JamStone
09-29-2008, 10:27 PM

The question wasn't how true it was. The question was where "the stupid stat" came from. Well, it came from Wilt himself. Sure, it's possible it's not true. But, people didn't just make up the "stupid stat."

dirk4mvp
09-29-2008, 10:52 PM
The question wasn't how true it was. The question was where "the stupid stat" came from. Well, it came from Wilt himself. Sure, it's possible it's not true. But, people didn't just make up the "stupid stat."

I see what you're saying. I thought you were using it to add fuel to the fire that Wilt is the direct descendant of a greek god. If he did have a 50" vertical to go along with his strength and speed, it would be no contest that he was the greatest nba athlete ever. But he doesn't.

JamStone
09-29-2008, 11:11 PM
I'm not saying he for sure had a 50 inch vertical, but it was probably close. Jordan had (I believe) a 48 inch vertical. The world record is over 60 inches. And, Wilt was a world class high jumper. It's not outside the realm of possibility. He could be exaggerating. But, ok. If his vertical was 48 inches? Or even 45 inches? That's still ridiculous considering his height and weight.

mavs>spurs2
09-29-2008, 11:48 PM
people over exaggerate verticals all the time. the world record isnt 60 i dont believe that without proof. not a true standing vertical anyway. wilt probably had about a 35 which is absolutely outstanding for a 7 footer.

JamStone
09-29-2008, 11:54 PM
Vertical jumps aren't "standing" verticals. When it's talking about a standing vertical, they specify "standing" vertical. When you hear someone talk about a "vertical jump," it's a max vertical jump with a steps or even a running start.

As for the 60 inch vertical, it's some guy named Kadour Ziani, who's something like 5'10" but is stupid with his hops. You can probably google or youtube him.

mavs>spurs2
09-29-2008, 11:56 PM
oh well in that case my vertical is about 40 no joke. /patsback

JamStone
09-29-2008, 11:59 PM
And, if your vertical is 40, Wilt's was 50.

mavs>spurs2
09-30-2008, 12:02 AM
who says i dont jump higher for my size than wilt? :spin

dirk4mvp
09-30-2008, 12:04 AM
Vince Carter's vertical is about 84. He jumped over a 7 footer.

JamStone
09-30-2008, 12:06 AM
If VC's feet are at the same level as his crotch meaning he has no legs, sure.

dirk4mvp
09-30-2008, 12:07 AM
If VC's feet are at the same level as his crotch meaning he has no legs, sure.

that's how badass he is.

stretch
09-30-2008, 06:56 AM
Bo Jackson had better nutrition than Jim Brown. Give Brown modern conditioning and scientific training methods and Brown blows Bo out of the water Brown was more nimble than Bo, too.

:rollin

:td

please just die already.

stretch
09-30-2008, 06:57 AM
I have seen LeBron and what he can do. I was at the finals in 07. LeBron is a great athlete, but Wilt was just a beast. I know LeBron can get his hea even with the rim, I know he is strong, but he still can't jump higher than Wilt, he still couldn't beat Wilt in a match of strengh, and LeBron my no means could have beaten Wilt in sprints or distance running.

I know about leBron, and I know about Wilt. You seem to only know about LeBron and make it out to look like he is a god or something. Anyways it is clear you know nothing about Wilt, you never even searched for stats on him so you could see how wrong you were.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UlVbOUxQ_og&feature=related

That video says just how amazing Wilt was. For those of you who do not know who Gus Johnson was, he was a mean strong player who was consitered one of the more athletic and stonger players in the league.

Shawn Bradley > Wilt

Galileo
09-30-2008, 05:31 PM
Shawn Bradley > Wilt

Wilt > Bradley

And that's without modern nutrition!

stretch
10-01-2008, 10:56 AM
Thank you for making everything you say from here on out meaningless.

FUCKING FAIL

JamStone
10-01-2008, 11:44 AM
I've disagreed with stretch pretty much this entire thread, but if you think he was serious when he said Bradley > Wilt, you're a fucking retard. Know when shit isn't a serious argument.

stretch
10-01-2008, 12:38 PM
I've disagreed with stretch pretty much this entire thread, but if you think he was serious when he said Bradley > Wilt, you're a fucking retard. Know when shit isn't a serious argument.

hi lebron hater/wilt cockgobbler

VaSpursFan
10-01-2008, 01:48 PM
As for the 60 inch vertical, it's some guy named Kadour Ziani, who's something like 5'10" but is stupid with his hops. You can probably google or youtube him.

googled and agree...that dood has mad hops :wow:wow:wow

JamStone
10-01-2008, 02:10 PM
hi lebron hater/wilt cockgobbler

It never gets old for you being a fucktard huh?

mavs>spurs2
10-01-2008, 03:29 PM
i like chicken

/thread

Galileo
10-01-2008, 03:49 PM
If Lebron is a better athlete than Magic, how come Lebron can't play point guard? Lebron isn't even a shooting guard.

Why has Lebron not lead the NBA in steals?

MAGIC

Steals Per Game

1979-80 NBA 2.4 (5)
1980-81 NBA 3.4 (1)
1981-82 NBA 2.7 (1)
1982-83 NBA 2.2 (8)
1983-84 NBA 2.2 (5)
Career NBA 1.9 (14)
Career 1.9 (16)

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/j/johnsma02.html

LEBRON

Steals Per Game

2004-05 NBA 2.2 (3)
2007-08 NBA 1.8 (10)

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/j/jamesle01.html

ambchang
10-01-2008, 04:12 PM
If Lebron is a better athlete than Magic, how come Lebron can't play point guard? Lebron isn't even a shooting guard.

Why has Lebron not lead the NBA in steals?

MAGIC

Steals Per Game

1979-80 NBA 2.4 (5)
1980-81 NBA 3.4 (1)
1981-82 NBA 2.7 (1)
1982-83 NBA 2.2 (8)
1983-84 NBA 2.2 (5)
Career NBA 1.9 (14)
Career 1.9 (16)

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/j/johnsma02.html

LEBRON

Steals Per Game

2004-05 NBA 2.2 (3)
2007-08 NBA 1.8 (10)

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/j/jamesle01.html

Because being a point guard and leading the league in steals doesn't have a direct correlation with athleticism.

Galileo
10-01-2008, 05:05 PM
Because being a point guard and leading the league in steals doesn't have a direct correlation with athleticism.

Magic was the only 6' 9" player to be athletic enough to average 3.4 steals per game in a season. Magic is the only 6' 9" player ever to be athletic enough to play point guard.

michaelwcho
10-01-2008, 06:27 PM
Although today's players are larger and may train harder, there came a time in baseball that stats began to even out. Errors and batting percentage have reached a point that suggests no further progress is even possible. I wonder if we have reached that point in the modern NBA, where it is not simply practically possible to score more than 35 ppg for a season.

ambchang
10-01-2008, 10:16 PM
Magic was the only 6' 9" player to be athletic enough to average 3.4 steals per game in a season. Magic is the only 6' 9" player ever to be athletic enough to play point guard.

I would say Magic was the only 6'9" player smart enough to average 3.4 steals per game in a season. magic is the only 6'9" player ever smart enough to play point guard.

He definitely was athletic compared to normal people, but compared to other NBA players, he was not particularly quick for a guy who is 6'9", even in his era, he was definitely not particularly strong, he couldn't really jump, but he was coordinated and smart.

Vince Carter was athletic, you don't seem him leading the league in steals either, neither did Charles Barkley, Wilt Chamberlain, David Robinson, or Hakeem Olajuwon. Tracy McGrady, Kobe Bryant, these are all great athletes, but they don't lead the league in steals. However, we have the John Stocktons and Jason Kidds who do. While they are great athletes, again, compared to us, they are average, or even below average athletes when compared to NBA players.

Galileo
10-02-2008, 11:50 AM
I would say Magic was the only 6'9" player smart enough to average 3.4 steals per game in a season. magic is the only 6'9" player ever smart enough to play point guard.

He definitely was athletic compared to normal people, but compared to other NBA players, he was not particularly quick for a guy who is 6'9", even in his era, he was definitely not particularly strong, he couldn't really jump, but he was coordinated and smart.

Vince Carter was athletic, you don't seem him leading the league in steals either, neither did Charles Barkley, Wilt Chamberlain, David Robinson, or Hakeem Olajuwon. Tracy McGrady, Kobe Bryant, these are all great athletes, but they don't lead the league in steals. However, we have the John Stocktons and Jason Kidds who do. While they are great athletes, again, compared to us, they are average, or even below average athletes when compared to NBA players.

Yearly Leaders and Records for Steals Per Game
Leaders and Records: Season / Career / Active / Yearly

Click on the Player for career statistics and accomplishments.
Active players are listed in bold.
Members of the Hall of Fame are marked with an asterisk (*).

Rate statistic requirements

Season Lg Player SPG
2007-08 NBA Chris Paul 2.71
2006-07 NBA Baron Davis 2.14
2005-06 NBA Gerald Wallace 2.51
2004-05 NBA Larry Hughes 2.89
2003-04 NBA Baron Davis 2.36
2002-03 NBA Allen Iverson 2.74
2001-02 NBA Allen Iverson 2.80
2000-01 NBA Allen Iverson 2.51
1999-00 NBA Eddie Jones 2.67
1998-99 NBA Kendall Gill 2.68
1997-98 NBA Mookie Blaylock 2.61
1996-97 NBA Mookie Blaylock 2.72
1995-96 NBA Gary Payton 2.85
1994-95 NBA Scottie Pippen 2.94
1993-94 NBA Nate McMillan 2.96
1992-93 NBA Michael Jordan 2.83
1991-92 NBA John Stockton 2.98
1990-91 NBA Alvin Robertson 3.04
1989-90 NBA Michael Jordan 2.77
1988-89 NBA John Stockton 3.21
1987-88 NBA Michael Jordan 3.16
1986-87 NBA Alvin Robertson 3.21
1985-86 NBA Alvin Robertson 3.67
1984-85 NBA Micheal Ray Richardson 2.96
1983-84 NBA Rickey Green 2.65
1982-83 NBA Micheal Ray Richardson 2.84
1981-82 NBA Magic Johnson* 2.67
1980-81 NBA Magic Johnson* 3.43
1979-80 NBA Micheal Ray Richardson 3.23
1978-79 NBA M.L. Carr 2.46
1977-78 NBA Ron Lee 2.74
1976-77 NBA Don Buse 3.47
1975-76 NBA Slick Watts 3.18
ABA Don Buse 4.12
1974-75 NBA Rick Barry* 2.85
ABA Brian Taylor 2.80
1973-74 NBA Larry Steele 2.68
ABA Ted McClain 2.98

http://www.basketball-reference.com/leaders/stl_per_g_yearly.html

stretch
10-02-2008, 11:52 AM
It never gets old for you being a fucktard huh?

It never gets old for you being an oversensitive dickhead huh?

stretch
10-02-2008, 11:56 AM

Season Lg Player SPG
1977-78 NBA Ron Lee 2.74
ABA Don Buse 4.12
ABA Brian Taylor 2.80
ABA Ted McClain 2.98

Cool list.

The only correllation between all those players is that they are all VERY coordinated. There are plenty on that list who were not incredibly athletic. But they are ALL coordinated.

Unfortunately it doesnt help your argument about athleticism.

stretch
10-02-2008, 11:58 AM
Although today's players are larger and may train harder, there came a time in baseball that stats began to even out. Errors and batting percentage have reached a point that suggests no further progress is even possible. I wonder if we have reached that point in the modern NBA, where it is not simply practically possible to score more than 35 ppg for a season.

I agree completely. Strategy and such have become so advanced since the days of guys like Wilt and such that people know how to contain them more. I dont think some of these idiots understand that. Oh well.

JamStone
10-02-2008, 12:03 PM
It never gets old for you being an oversensitive dickhead huh?

Not oversensitive in the least. But, apparently you like to view me as a dickhead because you obsess over trying to ride me.

And I guess the answer to my question is a no.

JamStone
10-02-2008, 12:15 PM

It wasn't due to athleticism that Magic was able to play point guard. It was due to his vision and passing skill. On defense, he generally didn't guard the opposing point guard, especially if they were really quick. That's why he needed a guy like Michael Cooper and even Byron Scott to an extent who were guards that could defend small, quick guards while Magic would guard 2-guards and small forwards.

And, as has been said, while Magic was definitely athletic compared to the average man even a man his size, he wasn't an athletic marvel like Dominique or LeBron James or Josh Smith.

What helped Magic get so many steals was in great part the style those Lakers teams played. First of all, they had Kareem manning the paint which allowed the perimeter guys to take more gambles for steals. Secondly, the Showtime Lakers played at a very quick pace. The 1980-81 Lakers team averaged around 112 defensive possessions a game. By comparison, the 2004-05 Cavaliers averaged approximately 93 possessions a game. 19 more possessions for Magic to get steals a game.

Magic was such a great player because of his combination of size and skill. While athletic, he wasn't a jaw-dropping, world class athlete.

ambchang
10-02-2008, 12:38 PM

Season Lg Player SPG
1977-78 NBA Ron Lee 2.74
ABA Don Buse 4.12
ABA Brian Taylor 2.80
ABA Ted McClain 2.98

Perhaps you could help me out by showing how this list helps with your assertion.

Are you saying Rick Barry, Don Buse, Ron Lee, M.L. Carr, Magic, Rickey Green, Alvin Robertson, John Stockton, Nate McMillan, Gary Payton, Mookie Blaylock and Chris Paul led the league in steals because they were athletic?

Galileo
10-02-2008, 02:01 PM
Perhaps you could help me out by showing how this list helps with your assertion.

Are you saying Rick Barry, Don Buse, Ron Lee, M.L. Carr, Magic, Rickey Green, Alvin Robertson, John Stockton, Nate McMillan, Gary Payton, Mookie Blaylock and Chris Paul led the league in steals because they were athletic?

These players are all cat quick. Magic is cat quick. Magic is also 6' 9", making him the most uniquely athletic basketball player of all time.

stretch
10-02-2008, 02:06 PM
Not oversensitive in the least. But, apparently you like to view me as a dickhead because you obsess over trying to ride me.

And I guess the answer to my question is a no.

:td

fail

:sleep:frying::frying::frying::frying::spless::cat :corn::jack:dizzy:shootme

stretch
10-02-2008, 02:09 PM
These players are all cat quick. Magic is cat quick. Magic is also 6' 9", making him the most uniquely athletic basketball player of all time.

Worst.

Reasoning.

Ever.

Galileo
10-02-2008, 02:12 PM

Did you not notice that Magis's steals per game in 1981 was the third highest of all time? That's before his injury.

Barry very athletic, just because he's a white guy doesn't mean he's not athletic. He's got four kids who played basketball too.

Ron Lee was cat quick.

Buse was cat quick.

Carr was cat quick.

Green cat quick.

Payton & Blaylock were cat quick

Chris Paul very athletic, but not very tall.

JamStone
10-02-2008, 02:22 PM
Overall athleticism does not consist only of quickness.

ambchang
10-02-2008, 02:39 PM

Rick Barry, Ron Lee, M.L. Carr, Rickey Green, Alvin Robertson, John Stockton, Nate McMillan, Gary Payton are not cat quick. They are quick, but nothing extraordinary for an NBA player.

Besides, being quick is all but one component of being athletic.

Galileo
10-02-2008, 02:42 PM
Rick Barry, Ron Lee, M.L. Carr, Rickey Green, Alvin Robertson, John Stockton, Nate McMillan, Gary Payton are not cat quick. They are quick, but nothing extraordinary for an NBA player.

Besides, being quick is all but one component of being athletic.

being athletic in basketball has to do with your athletic skill and quickness in relationship to your height.

If any of the above mentioned players were 6' 9", they's be elite athletic NBA players.

Barry at 6' 6" was the closest, and he was an alltime great. Barry did not have point guard skills either.

ambchang
10-02-2008, 02:54 PM
Did you not notice that Magis's steals per game in 1981 was the third highest of all time? That's before his injury.

Barry very athletic, just because he's a white guy doesn't mean he's not athletic. He's got four kids who played basketball too.
So he had a lot of kids. Dolph Schays has a son who plays in the NBA too, was he athletic?

Barry wasn’t even that quick, and he couldn’t really jump that well. He was however, very coordinated and works very hard.

Ron Lee was cat quick.
Ron Lee played the game with wreckless abandon, he hustles, was a decent athlete, but I wouldn’t call him overly quick.

Buse was cat quick.
Don Buse was great defensively, but he was no way cat quick.

Carr was cat quick.
Carr? Are you serious?

Green cat quick.
Sidney Green was smart, he was quick, even for an NBA guard, but cat-quick?

Payton & Blaylock were cat quick
Payton had great hands, moves laterally very well, relatively quick.
Blaylock was quick.

Chris Paul very athletic, but not very tall.
Chris Paul has great body control and timing, but no, he is not overly athletic at all.

If quickness was your definition of athletic, that would disqualify Magic Johnson in and of itself.

ambchang
10-02-2008, 03:01 PM
being athletic in basketball has to do with your athletic skill and quickness in relationship to your height.

If any of the above mentioned players were 6' 9", they's be elite athletic NBA players.

Barry at 6' 6" was the closest, and he was an alltime great. Barry did not have point guard skills either.

So I suppose Shawn Kemp, Kevin Garnett, Hakeem Olajuwon, David Robinson, Bill Russell and Wilt Chamberlain should all be at the top of your list.

And skill is skill, it has little to do with athleticism. Duncan has a lot of athletic skills (swimming and basketball), but I wouldn’t call him athletic (at this point in his career). Larry Bird had an incredible amount of athletic skills, but he wasn’t athletic.

And Barry being an all-time great has nothing to do with athleticism, it was because he was dedicated to the game of basketball and worked hard at it.

And I don’t get the point guard skills part either.

Timmy!
10-02-2008, 03:18 PM
Wilt is number one hands down. not only did he lead the league in minutes played but in his 6er days he was the fastest player on the team, and often other members would say that no one was even close to Wilt's speed.

Also the reason no one can cross the free throw line durring foul shots was because in his high school days when it was legal to cross Wilt would jump from the line and dunk it. On top of all that he was also the strongest man to ever play the game. He used to be able to pick up cars and move them for fun.

Also on the jumping part he could touch the top of the back board with just one step. Someone once bet him he couldn't get a quarter off the top of the backboard. So he asked someone for a quarter, jumped up and put it on himself, then came back to the ground and jumped again to grab the quarter off the back board.

LOL...he has has a giant blue ox named Babe. :lmao

Galileo
10-02-2008, 03:57 PM
So he had a lot of kids. Dolph Schays has a son who plays in the NBA too, was he athletic?

Barry wasn’t even that quick, and he couldn’t really jump that well. He was however, very coordinated and works very hard.

Ron Lee played the game with wreckless abandon, he hustles, was a decent athlete, but I wouldn’t call him overly quick.

Don Buse was great defensively, but he was no way cat quick.

Carr? Are you serious?

Sidney Green was smart, he was quick, even for an NBA guard, but cat-quick?

Payton had great hands, moves laterally very well, relatively quick.
Blaylock was quick.

Chris Paul has great body control and timing, but no, he is not overly athletic at all.

If quickness was your definition of athletic, that would disqualify Magic Johnson in and of itself.

If any of these players were 7 footers, they would be # 1 draft picks, first in the draft. Magic was 6' 9" and he was # 1.

That's the wonder of Magic. There's never been another player in history even remotely close to Magic's skill and athleticism for his size. Not even Michael Jordan, only 6' 6" was a legitimate point guard.

JamStone
10-02-2008, 04:59 PM
Dude, take away "skill."

The topic is "athleticism." Not combination of size, skill, and athleticism.

And, there have been plenty of players at 6'9" that have had better athleticism than Magic. Just not the "skill."

LeBron is a better athlete than Magic ever was. Josh Smith is a better athlete than Magic was. Heck, Stromile Swift and Darius Miles are better athletes than Magic was. It wasn't Magic's athleticism that stood out or made him the player he was. It was his skill.

ambchang
10-02-2008, 05:03 PM
If any of these players were 7 footers, they would be # 1 draft picks, first in the draft. Magic was 6' 9" and he was # 1.

That's the wonder of Magic. There's never been another player in history even remotely close to Magic's skill and athleticism for his size. Not even Michael Jordan, only 6' 6" was a legitimate point guard.

Still didn't make any of them athletic.

And what does Magic being #1 and 6'9" has to do with him being athletic? Are you saying the taller you are and the higher you are being drafted directly relates to how athletic you are?

Derrick Rose was drafted ahead of Beasley.
Bogut was drafted ahead of Marvin Williams
Hell, Yao Ming was 7'6" and a #1 pick, does that make him the most athletic player in the history of the league?

Duncan? Olowokandi?

Magic was unique, he played point being a big guy, he was drafted high, he was an NBA legend, but none of them proves that he is athletic. It's like saying Mercedes are reliable cars because they are expensive.

Galileo
10-02-2008, 05:28 PM
Dude, take away "skill."

The topic is "athleticism." Not combination of size, skill, and athleticism.

And, there have been plenty of players at 6'9" that have had better athleticism than Magic. Just not the "skill."

LeBron is a better athlete than Magic ever was. Josh Smith is a better athlete than Magic was. Heck, Stromile Swift and Darius Miles are better athletes than Magic was. It wasn't Magic's athleticism that stood out or made him the player he was. It was his skill.

LeBron is not a better basketball athlete than Magic. LeBron can't play point guard. He's got backup shooting guard skills at best.

Nor is Lebron as quick as Magic.

Lebron is stronger than Magic, but strength is not that important of a basketball skill compared to quickness.

anakha
10-02-2008, 05:41 PM
LeBron is not a better basketball athlete than Magic. LeBron can't play point guard. He's got backup shooting guard skills at best.

So Lebron is not a better basketball athlete than Magic because he doesn't have the PG skills?

Unless you're arguing that skills = athleticism, that doesn't make sense.

Lebron is stronger than Magic, but strength is not that important of a basketball skill compared to quickness.

When did strength become associated with skills and not athleticism?

Galileo
10-02-2008, 05:47 PM
So Lebron is not a better basketball athlete than Magic because he doesn't have the PG skills?

Unless you're arguing that skills = athleticism, that doesn't make sense.

When did strength become associated with skills and not athleticism?

Lebron is a better football athlete than Magic.

Magic is a better basketball athlete than Lebron. Lebron is one of the greatest basketball athletes of all time, but he's no Magic.

dirk4mvp
10-02-2008, 05:50 PM

what
the
fuck

Your posts get more and more delusional.

Also, you might be the only person who thinks Magic is faster than LeBron.

JamStone
10-02-2008, 05:55 PM

Lay off the drugs.

Most NBA GMs and players say LeBron is probably the quickest player in the league baseline to baseline. And, LeBron has the ability to play point guard. He just doesn't because his team is so godawful they need him as a primary scorer. Magic didn't have that problem with teammates like Kareem and Worthy.

LeBron didn't play point guard and he still was 8th in the league in assists and the primary ball handler on the team. Imagine if his team didn't require him to score so much. LeBron is more than capable of playing point guard if the Cavs asked him to do it.

And, strength is not a skill. And, quickness is not a skill. Those are athletic talents or gifts, not skill. And, again, quickness is not the only thing to gauge athleticism. Strength, agility, jumping ability, balance, explosion, hand-eye coordination are all aspects of athleticism. You keep going back to an argument that is solely based on quickness and having point guard skills (which has very little to do with overall athleticism).

michaelwcho
10-02-2008, 10:20 PM
Overall athleticism does not consist only of quickness.

The definition of athletic probably needs to be revisited.

Most people would say athletic means how high you can jump, how strong you are, how coordinated you are, how quick you are, how fast you are, and how much endurance you have.

There are a couple other factors that should be added in. One is reaction time. Another is the speed at which you process information (not the same thing). Another factor is build and center of gravity.

I think these should be included in athleticism because they are just as much a part of athletic performance as the other, standard definitions. An "athlete" with poor marks in these abilities is known as a "stiff". People might draft him high on potential, but the reality is he never had potential, he is just tall-strong-fast-whatever.

Look at Jason Kidd. He doesn't change games because of his "athleticism", although he had plenty in his time. He just sees more, and faster, than everyone else.

Look at Nash. Without his incredible reflexes, balance, and "cpu" speed, he would not be a top player. He might not even be an NBA player. Yet these don't show up on standard tests or a decathalon (though he would probably do fine at that too).

I realize most people do not include neurological factors into athleticism, but they are a dominant difference-maker between the stiff and the player, the starter and the star.

stretch
10-03-2008, 08:53 AM
Lay off the drugs.

Most NBA GMs and players say LeBron is probably the quickest player in the league baseline to baseline. And, LeBron has the ability to play point guard. He just doesn't because his team is so godawful they need him as a primary scorer. Magic didn't have that problem with teammates like Kareem and Worthy.

LeBron didn't play point guard and he still was 8th in the league in assists and the primary ball handler on the team. Imagine if his team didn't require him to score so much. LeBron is more than capable of playing point guard if the Cavs asked him to do it.

And, strength is not a skill. And, quickness is not a skill. Those are athletic talents or gifts, not skill. And, again, quickness is not the only thing to gauge athleticism. Strength, agility, jumping ability, balance, explosion, hand-eye coordination are all aspects of athleticism. You keep going back to an argument that is solely based on quickness and having point guard skills (which has very little to do with overall athleticism).

hi lebron hater

JamStone
10-03-2008, 10:28 AM
The definition of athletic probably needs to be revisited.

Most people would say athletic means how high you can jump, how strong you are, how coordinated you are, how quick you are, how fast you are, and how much endurance you have.

There are a couple other factors that should be added in. One is reaction time. Another is the speed at which you process information (not the same thing). Another factor is build and center of gravity.

I think these should be included in athleticism because they are just as much a part of athletic performance as the other, standard definitions. An "athlete" with poor marks in these abilities is known as a "stiff". People might draft him high on potential, but the reality is he never had potential, he is just tall-strong-fast-whatever.

Look at Jason Kidd. He doesn't change games because of his "athleticism", although he had plenty in his time. He just sees more, and faster, than everyone else.

Look at Nash. Without his incredible reflexes, balance, and "cpu" speed, he would not be a top player. He might not even be an NBA player. Yet these don't show up on standard tests or a decathalon (though he would probably do fine at that too).

I realize most people do not include neurological factors into athleticism, but they are a dominant difference-maker between the stiff and the player, the starter and the star.

Interesting way of looking at athleticism. And, I'm inclined to say many of things you mentioned are taken into consideration when talking about athleticism, even if they aren't generally highlighted or talked about as much.

I believe reaction time and balance are generally viewed as aspects of athleticism. Things like swinging a bat at a 100 mph fastball or getting out of a three point stance on a snap in football require very good reaction time and definitely should factor into what is viewed as being athletic. I think balance is also a part of athleticism as well. Balance and leverage are very important, for example, in basketball to stay in front of a player in a defensive stance or to hold post position defense or to block out on a rebound in concert with strength, quickness, and agility.

In a decathlon, reaction time is required in the races to get out of the blocks once the gun is sounded.

Except for processing information, I think the things you mention are probably viewed generally as athletic traits.