PDA

View Full Version : Reeves backs down, Vick moves up return date

ducks
11-01-2003, 11:59 AM
Reeves backs down, Vick moves up return date

AP - Oct 29, 2:37 pm EST
More Photos

FLOWERY BRANCH, Ga. (AP) -- Atlanta Falcons coach Dan Reeves insisted he's not pressuring Michael Vick to get back on the field, while the ailing quarterback bumped up his scheduled return by a week.

Vick, recovering from a broken right leg, said Thursday he hopes to be playing by the Nov. 30 game at Houston -- not Dec. 7 against Carolina, which he indicated a day earlier.

Reeves took issue with the media for the way his comments Wednesday were reported. He had said: ``Mike needs to get back as soon as he possibly can'' and ``if he's going to be better, it's going to be getting in ballgames.''

``Never once did I indicate anything that was written, so you definitely had a different slant on it than I did,'' Reeves told reporters Thursday.

Once again, Vick said he won't play until he's fully recovered.

``I understand exactly where Coach Reeves is coming from,'' he said. ``Trust me -- I want to be out on the field, too, playing, but if I can't do it, then how can I go out there and play? I can't go out and give my all.''

Vick fractured his fibula in an Aug. 16 preseason game. The bone has healed, but he has too much pain to cut as he runs.

``Me and the trainers -- Coach Reeves -- we all have a big part, but what it all boils down to is it's my decision,'' Vick said. ``I'll be glad when the rehab is over.''link (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylc=X3oDMTA2YjBsdnJxBHNlYwN0aA--?slug=ap-falcons-vick&prov=ap&type=lgns)