PDA

View Full Version : Malik Hairston

Spurs Brazil
09-28-2008, 11:50 AM
If he's not in camp tomorrow what his status?

I knew the Spurs had to make an offer to him but he's not signed.

The question is: the Spurs made the offer and he didn't accept or the Spurs didn't made the offer.

ChuckD
09-28-2008, 12:09 PM
You only have to make an offer to first round picks. Second rounders rights belong to you forever, until you sign them or trade the rights.

ChumpDumper
09-28-2008, 02:40 PM
Actually teams have to make a qualifying tender to a second round pick (as little as a nonguaranteed minimum deal) to be able to retain his rights.

The draftee can take it and join camp; or he can take a deal from another pro league and the NBA team will retain his rights.

I don't think Hairston is enough of a prospect for the Spurs to care too much if he joins camp and doesn't make the team. They could have the Toros pick him up like they did with Marcus Williams last season.

AFBlue
09-28-2008, 02:57 PM
Actually teams have to make a qualifying tender to a second round pick (as little as a nonguaranteed minimum deal) to be able to retain his rights.

The draftee can take it and join camp; or he can take a deal from another pro league and the NBA team will retain his rights.

I don't think Hairston is enough of a prospect for the Spurs to care too much if he joins camp and doesn't make the team. They could have the Toros pick him up like they did with Marcus Williams last season.

Unless he kills in training camp, I think the Marcus Williams route is the most likely.

Bruno
09-28-2008, 03:35 PM
IMO, he will be signed tomorrow.

mookie2001
09-28-2008, 03:50 PM
IMO, he will be signed tomorrow.

thats your opinion huh?

Spurtacus
09-28-2008, 08:34 PM
Doesn't matter. He doesn't have what it takes. I'm judging him by his SL play obviously.

SenorSpur
09-28-2008, 08:39 PM
Doesn't matter. He doesn't have what it takes. I'm judging him by his SL play obviously.

If that turns out to be true, then it begs the question as to WHY in the hell the Spurs did a trade with PHX to hand over Dragic so they could select Hairston?

ChumpDumper
09-28-2008, 08:51 PM
To get a pick next summer.

DROB4EVER
09-28-2008, 10:06 PM
Who in the FO thought this guy was an NBA player, he was only an average D1 player, not even sure he can play at a high level over seas.

tp2021
09-28-2008, 10:13 PM
They got a pick and cash. The pick figures to be a good one too, since GS doesn't have B-Diddy anymore, and Monta Ellis is out for a while.

T Park
09-28-2008, 10:17 PM
If that turns out to be true, then it begs the question as to WHY in the hell the Spurs did a trade with PHX to hand over Dragic so they could select Hairston?

To get money and another second rounder next year.

Obstructed_View
09-28-2008, 10:39 PM

I've asked this before, and nobody ever answers it: What makes you think the Spurs wanted Dragic? I'd imagine that if the Suns called and asked for the guy the Spurs actually had their sights set on, they'd say no.

ChuckD
09-28-2008, 11:00 PM

Who in the FO thought this guy was an NBA player, he was only an average D1 player, not even sure he can play at a high level over seas.

What the fuck do you think you get in the mid to late second round? These players have either game issues or contract issues, and frankly, I think the Spurs have had a bellyful of contract issues, especially with players from Tau.

mrspurs
09-29-2008, 06:52 AM

imo because the FO has lost its touch with todays NBA. I know it sounds crazy, but look at what they're doing compared to what the rest of the west has been doing for a few seasons now. We've done nothing to help our weakness in the paint. Shafted by splitter and stuck on ian doesnt make much sense. Try going american and leave the foreigners to the other NBA teams. After all there are only 3 great foreign players. Manu,Scolla and Yao. The rest are just so so.....

TheProfessor
09-29-2008, 07:13 AM
imo because the FO has lost its touch with todays NBA. I know it sounds crazy, but look at what they're doing compared to what the rest of the west has been doing for a few seasons now. We've done nothing to help our weakness in the paint. Shafted by splitter and stuck on ian doesnt make much sense. Try going american and leave the foreigners to the other NBA teams. After all there are only 3 great foreign players. Manu,Scolla and Yao. The rest are just so so.....
Good lord, you forgot the foreign-born Finals MVP on your own team...

ChuckD
09-29-2008, 07:22 AM

Hairston is American, fuckwit.

Solid D
09-29-2008, 10:16 AM

:lol Tim Duncan, Steve Nash, Tony Parker and Dirk Nowitzki are scrubs.

Solid D
09-29-2008, 10:19 AM
BTW, I didn't see enough from Hairston in Summer League play to make me think the Spurs would add him to their roster this season. He looks like he could use some D-League experience.

Solid D
09-29-2008, 01:00 PM
Malik Hairston is in camp.

Mr.Bottomtooth
09-29-2008, 04:35 PM

You're an idiot.

brettn
09-29-2008, 04:50 PM

The sad thing is that you probably, truly believe every word you just typed. :lol

Obstructed_View
09-29-2008, 05:11 PM
The sad thing is that you probably, truly believe every word you just typed. :lol

No way. Dude just outed himself as either an Argie troll or a Rocket fan.

T Park
09-29-2008, 06:59 PM

Would that be like all the Americans they drafted and signed this year?

:lmao fail

Mr.Bottomtooth
09-29-2008, 07:55 PM
Would that be like all the Americans they drafted and signed this year?

:lmao fail

Oh don't mind him, he's a jackass.

anakha
09-29-2008, 08:04 PM

:lmao

And I thought your stupidity had reached its limits.

Manufan909
09-29-2008, 08:11 PM
I thought there were some good germans and canadians in the league, guess not.

Obstructed_View
09-30-2008, 02:57 AM
I thought there were some good germans and canadians in the league, guess not.

Apparently there's not even a good French point guard on the Spurs.

Manufan909
09-30-2008, 03:01 AM
Indeed. Fuck it, I'm gonna crash. Hopefully someone will have had found a timetable on Ian by the time I get back on tomo, I really want to see him log a good 30 mins on Oct 18th, which is the preseason game I plan on attending.

mountainballer
09-30-2008, 05:54 AM
Malik Hairston is in camp.

is this just a guess or something official?

I would be very happy about this. I know that not many here have a good opinion about Hairston after the SL, but I still think he has enough talent to one day become a legit NBA player and I also think that his game would fit well with the Spurs. a bad SL doesn't always prove that the player isn't good at all.

just remember last season and the case of Ramon Sessions.
drafted at #56 there were no high expectations anyhow. Sessions then played a very poor SL (much worse than Hairston did), he also was poor in the preseason. Bucks sent him to D-league, back with the Bucks, at the end of last season, he started to look like one of the steals of last years draft.
(yes, in more or less meaningless games, but the 11.5 PPG and 11.3 APG in 10 NBA April games look quite nice compared to his 5.8 PPG and 2.5 APG he averaged in the 2007 summer league)
Bucks fans meanwhile discuss if or when he will take over the starting job from Ridnor.

this little story isn't told to claim that it would happen similar in the case of Hairston. just to show how much (how little) a summer league or pre season performance might tell in the long run. I hope the Spurs do have some patience with Hairston.

DPG21920
09-30-2008, 06:15 AM
It is official.

MagnusKrauss
09-30-2008, 10:49 AM
I'd still rather have The Gist!