PDA

View Full Version : Military Donations Favor Obama Over McCain

Shastafarian
09-29-2008, 07:27 AM
Military donations favor Obama over McCain
Thursday August 14, 6:31 pm ET
Troops donate more campaign money to Obama than McCain, despite McCain's military record

WASHINGTON (AP) -- U.S. soldiers have donated more presidential campaign money to Democrat Barack Obama than to Republican John McCain, a reversal of previous campaigns in which military donations tended to favor GOP White House hopefuls, a nonpartisan group reported Thursday.

Troops serving abroad have given nearly six times as much money to Obama's presidential campaign as they have to McCain's, the Center for Responsive Politics said.

The results also are striking because they favored Obama, who never has served in the military. McCain meanwhile, is a decorated war veteran who spent nearly five years as a prisoner of war in Vietnam. The Arizona senator graduated from the U.S. Naval Academy and had a 22-year career as a naval aviator.

Obama has opposed the war in Iraq and says he would withdraw combat troops within 16 months. McCain has been a steadfast supporter of the war, saying he would withdraw the troops only when conditions on the ground warrant it.

"Obama will work tirelessly to uphold this nation's sacred trust with its veterans, to ensure they are not forgotten after they return home and he will provide our troops with the leadership they deserve, as well as the support they and their families need," Obama spokesman Nick Shapiro said.

McCain's campaign played down the significance of the donations.

"John McCain has been endorsed by more retired admirals and generals than Barack Obama has military donors," McCain spokesman Michael Goldfarb said in a statement.

"We feel confident that many U.S. troops stationed overseas will support John McCain in the election this fall, but we suspect most are too busy doing the important work of defending this country than to make political contributions," Goldfarb said.

The report tracked donations of $200 or more. It found that 859 members of the military donated a total of $335,536 to Obama. McCain received $280,513 from 558 military donors.

Among soldiers serving overseas at the time of their donations, 134 gave a total of $60,642 to Obama while 26 gave a total of $10,665 to McCain. That was less than the amount received by Republican Ron Paul, who collected $45,512 from 99 soldiers serving abroad, the report said.

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/080814/military_donations.html

Let's see whottt come in here and try and spin this. Maybe he'll suggest the soldiers who are giving Obama money are traitors...

101A
09-29-2008, 07:37 AM
134 vs. 26

Seriously.

THIS is news?

There are many thousands serving over seas?

I would think the fact that 160 gave TOTAL - somewhat less that .01% would make this the non-story it is. In fact, if it wasn't the "surprise" that Obama had more of the insignificant, meaningless number, is the ONLY reason it is a story at all. As in, "Oh wow, look, there are actually members of the military that like him".

Shastafarian
09-29-2008, 07:39 AM
134 vs. 26

Seriously.

THIS is news?

There are many thousands serving over seas?

I would think the fact that 160 gave TOTAL - somewhat less that .01% would make this the non-story it is. In fact, if it wasn't the "surprise" that Obama had more of the insignificant, meaningless number, is the ONLY reason it is a story at all. As in, "Oh wow, look, there are actually members of the military that like him".

So then you agree the military generals/admirals supporting McCain is also a non-story?

101A
09-29-2008, 08:21 AM
So then you agree the military generals/admirals supporting McCain is also a non-story?

300 out of a reasonably small number vs. 126 out of an enormous number?

Math not your strong suit?

Anti.Hero
09-29-2008, 09:06 AM
Obama should feel guilty for taking all of these peoples' money during such horrible economic times.

Wild Cobra
09-29-2008, 11:35 AM
I think the reason is that most the military understand their job and are proud to serve. The few who are the big pussies and mommy's boys want the war to end so bad, they are compelled to donae to the candidayte that promises to bring the stupid children home.

Spurminator
09-29-2008, 11:39 AM
I think the reason is that most the military understand their job and are proud to serve. The few who are the big pussies and mommy's boys want the war to end so bad, they are compelled to donae to the candidayte that promises to bring the stupid children home.

Support the Troops! (except the ones who are ready to come home)

Oh, Gee!!
09-29-2008, 11:46 AM
(except the ones who are ready to come home)

or the ones I assume are ready to come home because they support a candidate other than the one I support. That's real support, not just lip service like those libtards over in D.C.

Thunder Dan
09-29-2008, 11:49 AM
this is hard to believe, there is no way anyone can support Obama and the troops at the same time. McCain will be best for our military- Obama just wants to take them out of Iraq- wtf is up with that?

Oh, Gee!!
I mean.......really? wtf does Wild Cobra come up this stuff?

Shastafarian
300 out of a reasonably small number vs. 126 out of an enormous number?

Math not your strong suit?

That would be 134 who donated WHILE ON ACTIVE DUTY. The real number was 859. 300 out of how many retired generals/admirals. I'd wager there are over 1,000. So McCain didn't pull in even 1/3. It's ridiculous to assume that the military favors one candidate over another from generals supporting McCain or soldiers supporting Obama. I was trying to make that point with this thread.

Damn I figured it would've been whottt first.

Wild Cobra
09-29-2008, 12:24 PM
I mean.......really? wtf does Wild Cobra come up this stuff?
My 11 years and 20 days of active military service.

That would be 134 who donated WHILE ON ACTIVE DUTY. The real number was 859. 300 out of how many retired generals/admirals. I'd wager there are over 1,000. So McCain didn't pull in even 1/3. It's ridiculous to assume that the military favors one candidate over another from generals supporting McCain or soldiers supporting Obama. I was trying to make that point with this thread.

Damn I figured it would've been whottt first.
Military people are briefed to leave such things personal. There are also rules of conduct related to talking bad about the commander in chief, and congress. This translates to a military person that even a donation may be misconstrued, although I don't know is that is fact not. It is a valid perception however. It is rediculous to think that more military people support Obama. All other information has a strong history of military people overhelmingly voting republican.

You guys can think what you want. I have 11 years of credibility to cause those supporting Obama losers who are unfit to wear the uniform. I will, without any resorvations, call them pussies, cowards, etc.

They can go fuck themselves.

Shastafarian
09-29-2008, 12:27 PM
Military people are briefed to leave such things personal. There are also rules of conduct related to talking bad about the commander in chief, and congress. This translates to a military person that even a donation may be misconstrued, although I don't know is that is fact not. It is a valid perception however. It is rediculous to think that more military people support Obama. All other information has a strong history of military people overhelmingly voting republican.

You guys can think what you want. I have 11 years of credibility to cause those supporting Obama losers who are unfit to wear the uniform. I will, without any resorvations, call them pussies, cowards, etc.

They can go fuck themselves.
Man you're a hypocrite.

Aggie Hoopsfan
09-29-2008, 12:36 PM
Most military folk wouldn't make their preferences know via donations. But LMAO at Shasta holding up an infinitesimal amount of donors, and a % of donors therein, as some sort of indication of who in the military favors who.

But I know it won't change your opinion, you hate McCain too much.

Shastafarian
09-29-2008, 12:39 PM
Most military folk wouldn't make their preferences know via donations. But LMAO at Shasta holding up an infinitesimal amount of donors, and a % of donors therein, as some sort of indication of who in the military favors who.

But I know it won't change your opinion, you hate McCain too much.

This makes no impact on my opinion of either candidate. It's just like the 300 generals/admirals supporting McCain. Or Governor Richardson supporting Obama. Or the Lady Rothschild supporting McCain. It's silly to look at things like this and say, "you know what, those people are smart, they must know something." The point of my thread was to contrast all of that.

Oh, Gee!!
09-29-2008, 12:58 PM
My 11 years and 20 days of active military service.

guessing u never met 1 single democrat in that entire time.

Wild Cobra
09-29-2008, 01:02 PM
guessing u never met 1 single democrat in that entire time.
I meet plenty of pussies in the Army. Most of them either washed out in Basic Training, or never reinlisted. There are plenty of first termers who are liberal. Few who have reinlisted.

Shastafarian
09-29-2008, 01:06 PM
I meet plenty of pussies in the Army. Most of them either washed out in Basic Training, or never reinlisted. There are plenty of first termers who are liberal. Few who have reinlisted.

Wow...

Oh, Gee!!
09-29-2008, 01:36 PM
Wow...

yes, it is quite amazing that he manages to store soooooo many ill-conceived arguments in there. But not as amazing as the speed at he which he pulls them out of there.

Wild Cobra
09-29-2008, 01:40 PM
yes, it is quite amazing that he manages to store soooooo many ill-conceived arguments in there. But not as amazing as the speed at he which he pulls them out of there.
If you say so.

How many times did you re-enlist?

Oh, Gee!!
09-29-2008, 01:42 PM
If you say so.

never joined. and that has exactly what to do with the fact that you're just making up idiotic arguments out of whole-cloth?

PixelPusher
09-29-2008, 01:51 PM
Wow...

Wild Cobra engaged in a lot of combat while manning a communications array here in the States. Did you put your ass on line manning an antennae farm for our country?

No, of course not...pussy!

Wild Cobra
09-29-2008, 02:02 PM
never joined. and that has exactly what to do with the fact that you're just making up idiotic arguments out of whole-cloth?
Then why am I wasting my time with you?

What experience do you have with a broad spectrum of military personnel if you never served? How can you say my opinion is wrong without having a first-hand perspective?

Oh, Gee!!
09-29-2008, 02:08 PM
How can you say my opinion is wrong without having a first-hand perspective?

because it stands to reason that there are more than just a handful of democrats in the military. it also stands to reason that the reason military personnel vote for democrats is because they are democrats and not (in your words) pu$$ies looking to get out of war. you're an idiot is another huge reason I can say your opinion is wrong.

ChumpDumper
09-29-2008, 02:22 PM
Why does Wild Cobra hate our troops?

Wild Cobra
09-29-2008, 02:25 PM
Why does Wild Cobra hate our troops?

Wow...

Are you really that stupid to think that's what 'm saying?

Notice I sparate first termers from those who re-enlist.

ChumpDumper
09-29-2008, 02:26 PM
You stopped re-enlisting.

Pussy.

Oh, Gee!!
09-29-2008, 02:27 PM
I know democrats that have been in at least 20 years.

ChumpDumper
09-29-2008, 02:32 PM
I will never question any one person's decision to join or leave the armed forces.

Except Wild Cobra, because it's clear he does everything he does because he is a pussy.

romad_20
09-29-2008, 02:36 PM
I've never read such retarded shit. As a vet, I think you should shut the fuck up and keep that partisan bullshit you call an opinion to yourself.

Shastafarian
09-29-2008, 02:37 PM
I've never read such retarded shit. As a vet, I think you should shut the fuck up and keep that partisan bullshit you call an opinion to yourself.

You don't count, you must be a liberal.

RandomGuy
09-29-2008, 03:30 PM

Spoken like a true chicken hawk.

I have spoken to a few who just dont' give a flying shit about Iraq. They fight for their buddies, but don't think that Iraq is worth anymore of their friends dying.

They didn't strike me as pussies, you fucking hack.

Your attempt to dishonor those men simply because they disagree with your poltical viewpoint sickens me.

What a fucking traitor.

dg7md
09-29-2008, 05:55 PM
You ain't worth nothing in the world unless you've reenlisted in the military.

Wild Cobra
09-29-2008, 07:35 PM
You idiots act as if I say things I didn't. Hell yes, they want to come home. However, the soldier wants to finish the mission first. The pussie just wants to leave and doesn't care about the mission.

It doesn't matter if they believe in the mission or not. They enlisted of their own free will to do as commanded. Still, the pussies think they should be able to go without compleing their contractual obligations.

ChumpDumper
09-29-2008, 07:39 PM
Man, Wild Cobra is a pussy for assuming he knows every single serviceman's political thought process.

Wild Cobra
09-29-2008, 08:33 PM
Earth to Cobra... the mission was a failed mission from the start. The troops were lied to and misled. There were no weapons!!! Sadaam is dead, and our government dont give a shit about rebuilding Iraq. To continue to stay in Iraq would be worse than the Jews staying in Palistine. That 6 day war turned into a 60 year war, with no peace in sight.

Your opinion is not fact.

hitmanyr2k
09-30-2008, 04:27 AM
Spoken like a true chicken hawk.

I have spoken to a few who just dont' give a flying shit about Iraq. They fight for their buddies, but don't think that Iraq is worth anymore of their friends dying.

They didn't strike me as pussies, you fucking hack.

Your attempt to dishonor those men simply because they disagree with your poltical viewpoint sickens me.

What a fucking traitor.

+1

Wild Cobra you're a permanent bitch.

Pussies and "mommy's boys"? That's what you're calling our troops? I spent 6 years on Camp Lejeune working with Marines, Navy corpsmen, and Reservists every single day. It doesn't matter how many times they re-enlisted you fuckin moron. Their time serving our country in war certainly doesn't deserve to be ridiculed by your bitch ass.

It doesn't matter if they believe in the mission or not. They enlisted of their own free will to do as commanded. Still, the pussies think they should be able to go without compleing their contractual obligations.

You don't know shit. I know plenty of Marines and Reservists that fulfilled their service agreement and had their contracts involuntarily extended to make them stay in and go on more tours in Iraq. It's a backdoor draft basically.

I've seen the effects the Iraq war has had on these people. A lot of these guys have marriages that are strained. Some have newborns that they've never seen or touched. Some get home from a tour and then are told they have to up and leave their family again for another tour. And you want to ridicule that because they don't share your dumbass mentality? You're a fuckin disgrace.

SnakeBoy
09-30-2008, 05:20 AM
I have spoken to a few who just dont' give a flying shit about Iraq. They fight for their buddies

Well I served. No combat experience because I joined the Air Force (medical field) specifically because I know I'm a pussy when it comes to killing people. Grew up an Army brat though so my dad and his buddies were real soldiers with the scars to prove it. Anyway to the point...their buddies are always what they are really fighting for.

I'm proud of my pussified service. So anyone who actually goes to combat gets all my respect whether they support the war or not.

I guess, the only exception would be if they come home and start telling everyone their buddies are baby killers.

RandomGuy
09-30-2008, 08:43 AM
Well I served. No combat experience because I joined the Air Force (medical field) specifically because I know I'm a pussy when it comes to killing people. Grew up an Army brat though so my dad and his buddies were real soldiers with the scars to prove it. Anyway to the point...their buddies are always what they are really fighting for.

I'm proud of my pussified service. So anyone who actually goes to combat gets all my respect whether they support the war or not.

I guess, the only exception would be if they come home and start telling everyone their buddies are baby killers.

I gave some long hard thoughts to the possibility that I might need to kill someone at the other end of that bullet, and decided that I could do that, if needed.

I was also willing to die to protect my country, if that was the ultimate result of my decision to enlist. Everybody has to die at some point, and there are worse ways to go.

Being an intel analyst on the tactical level means that you and your little field HQ are one of the top priority targets for artillery air strikes and special forces, despite being classed as a "REMPF", and God help you if you get captured. Erg. Try to pretend to be a cook, and hope they don't figure it out.

The thing that pisses me off is chicken hawks who have the nuts to criticise people that are willing to do this, or even have the nuts to try and say they know what is going on in the heads of those who do.

I was not a combat arms guy, and won't pretend that I do, other than what I can gather first hand.

I would be willing to wager that Wild Cobra hasn't gathered that first hand information either.

But hey, he has an opinion and a willingness to be a judgmental fuck, and that is all it takes to be a "conservative" these days.

Oh, Gee!!
09-30-2008, 09:12 AM
every conservative poster here, every poster in the military, every poster with family in the military should shun wild cobra.