PDA

View Full Version : OT: See you all later

DarkReign
09-29-2008, 09:57 AM
Usually, I would never make such a thread. "Going away" threads rank right next to "birthday" threads in their lameness, in my eyes.

But since I have been since an outspoken asshole around here, I thought it prudent to explain why I will not be seen for the next 2 weeks, especially with the VP debate coming up....and all the poll changes that I'd actually like to pay attention to now (lots of learning to do in that area), etc.

Going on my fucking honeymoon! Took a me a year to save the cash. 2 weeks in Hawaii, leaving tomorrow.

Unfortunately, I'll probably be watching the VP debate from a hotel lobby or some such (Ive already told my wife, she is none too happy). From a personal standpoint, this is going to be the greatest time of my life...bar none, hands down.

From a political standpoint, the only debate I have been waiting for, the very determining factor in my vote (that is to say, if Palin is as dumb as she is made to look in the interviews, then McCain is automatically disqualified from being voted for, IMO), I will not be able to dedicate the necessary time to watch and learn.

Anyway, Im not much of a Club poster, so I put it here. Hope I didnt waste your time. Be cool, have fun, stay critical and cynical.

clambake
09-29-2008, 10:02 AM
pay attention to the lady and have fun. hope you have first class, but if not, try to upgrade if at all possible. forget about palin for now. you might be looking at her for years to come.

Hook Dem
09-29-2008, 10:08 AM
Usually, I would never make such a thread. "Going away" threads rank right next to "birthday" threads in their lameness, in my eyes.

But since I have been since an outspoken asshole around here, I thought it prudent to explain why I will not be seen for the next 2 weeks, especially with the VP debate coming up....and all the poll changes that I'd actually like to pay attention to now (lots of learning to do in that area), etc.

Going on my fucking honeymoon! Took a me a year to save the cash. 2 weeks in Hawaii, leaving tomorrow.

Unfortunately, I'll probably be watching the VP debate from a hotel lobby or some such (Ive already told my wife, she is none too happy). From a personal standpoint, this is going to be the greatest time of my life...bar none, hands down.

From a political standpoint, the only debate I have been waiting for, the very determining factor in my vote (that is to say, if Palin is as dumb as she is made to look in the interviews, then McCain is automatically disqualified from being voted for, IMO), I will not be able to dedicate the necessary time to watch and learn.

Anyway, Im not much of a Club poster, so I put it here. Hope I didnt waste your time. Be cool, have fun, stay critical and cynical.

If I were you, I would devote my attention to your new bride! You will eventually learn that she is the only one to matter anyway!

clambake
09-29-2008, 10:12 AM
^ummm, he's been married for a year. saving up for the perfect honeymoon. smart move.

I. Hustle
09-29-2008, 10:14 AM
What if he is going to watch Palin to get into the mood?

Viva Las Espuelas
09-29-2008, 10:24 AM
did you get that book, DR?

2centsworth
09-29-2008, 10:44 AM
congrats! Where in Hawaii?

JoeChalupa
09-29-2008, 10:45 AM
Aloha! Have a good time. Hawaii rocks!!! I was stationed there for 2 years.

baseline bum
09-29-2008, 10:48 AM
Congrats.

Spurminator
09-29-2008, 10:50 AM
Sounds like fun, have a good time.

Wild Cobra
09-29-2008, 10:51 AM
OK, so you got the engagement ring and the wedding ring. I hope the suffer-ring never comes.

Have fun, good luck.

byrontx
09-29-2008, 11:02 AM
You'll find yourself participating in all the debates you could ever want.

Just joking. Congrats.

DarkReign
09-29-2008, 03:20 PM

Not yet, but I already researched it and found it at Borders. Im stopping there on my way home today.

congrats! Where in Hawaii?

One week in Kauai, then one week in Maui.

Its going to be awesome.

Hopefully my money is still worth something b ythe time I get back. Then again, hopefully not.

DarkReign
09-29-2008, 03:21 PM
OK, so you got the engagement ring and the wedding ring. I hope the suffer-ring never comes.

ba-dum-chi :toast

Pistons < Spurs
09-29-2008, 04:06 PM
Have a great time DR.

DarkReign
10-21-2008, 04:27 PM
It was as awesome as one could imagine. We spent a week in Kaui first, then another week in Maui.

In Kaui we went on a safari (included kayaking, hiking, zip-lining, swimming, sight seeing), did a sea tour (catamaran, about 30 people, all around the Napoli coast with some snorkeling) and did the helicopter tour (badass).

Could have went parasailing and a bunch of other things, but all in all, its good to be home. I watched the VP debates from the bar around the pool....it was interesting watching the debates (seen both) with other people (a lot of people) all while drinking and enjoying the sun. Hawaii is -6 hours EST so I was watching the debates at 3pm. That was cool for sports as well.

I highly suggest Kaui to anyone going to Hawaii. A lot of people goto the Big Island, Oahu and Maui but skip Kaui. Thats a mistake of epic proportions. Absolutely drop dead gorgeous day in and day out.

They have a saying about rain....wait 10 mins or drive 10 miles. Its strikingly true.

DarkReign
10-21-2008, 04:28 PM

Could you give me the title and author again, please? I skipped the book stop prior to our trip but still want to read it.

Was it Unknown Soldier?

Viva Las Espuelas
10-21-2008, 04:37 PM
Could you give me the title and author again, please? I skipped the book stop prior to our trip but still want to read it.

Was it Unknown Soldier?
The Forgotten Man by Amity Shlaes

MannyIsGod
10-21-2008, 04:41 PM
It was as awesome as one could imagine. We spent a week in Kaui first, then another week in Maui.

In Kaui we went on a safari (included kayaking, hiking, zip-lining, swimming, sight seeing), did a sea tour (catamaran, about 30 people, all around the Napoli coast with some snorkeling) and did the helicopter tour (badass).

Could have went parasailing and a bunch of other things, but all in all, its good to be home. I watched the VP debates from the bar around the pool....it was interesting watching the debates (seen both) with other people (a lot of people) all while drinking and enjoying the sun. Hawaii is -6 hours EST so I was watching the debates at 3pm. That was cool for sports as well.

I highly suggest Kaui to anyone going to Hawaii. A lot of people goto the Big Island, Oahu and Maui but skip Kaui. Thats a mistake of epic proportions. Absolutely drop dead gorgeous day in and day out.

They have a saying about rain....wait 10 mins or drive 10 miles. Its strikingly true.

Nice man. I'm really looking forward to visiting Hawaii myself once I graduate. I'm making it a graduation gift to myself (I just decided this - haha)

DisgruntledLionFan#54,927
10-21-2008, 04:45 PM
You know, a book thread would be a wonderful idea for this forum.

Just saying.

DarkReign
10-21-2008, 04:49 PM
The Forgotten Man by Amity Shlaes

Thank you, sir.

Viva Las Espuelas
10-21-2008, 04:57 PM
Thank you, sir.
i would give an updated review of the book, but i haven't been able to read it lately.

MannyIsGod
10-21-2008, 04:58 PM
You know, a book thread would be a wonderful idea for this forum.

Just saying.

:tu

Fire it up chief.

CubanMustGo
10-21-2008, 04:59 PM

Kauai FTW!

My wife and I honeymooned there and celebrated our tenth anniversary there - same condo in Princeville with a great view of the mountains and the ocean.

Congratulations and many happy returns. :toast

DarkReign
10-21-2008, 05:01 PM
Nice man. I'm really looking forward to visiting Hawaii myself once I graduate. I'm making it a graduation gift to myself (I just decided this - haha)

Just be sure to comeback, lots of tourists dont.

Heres a funny thing that happened:

First day on Kaui (our first day in Hawaii after a total of 12 hours in the air...ugh) we're driving to the resort, and pull over to insure we are headed the right way.

Its near a golfcourse. Some guy is walking by and obviously spots as tourists and asks if we need directions. He kindly gives them to us and is just a super-cool guy all around, and asks us "Where you from?'

"Michigan."

"Really?! Im from Howell, Michigan. Im the tennis pro here at this golf course. Been here since '93."

Moral of the story...the very first Hawaiin we met was from Michigan. That became a trend, btw. I seen more Red Wings gear, UofM hats and stuff than any other city by far.

Just a really cool experience all the way around. Aussies, English, some drunk Irish dude who no one could understand at the bar(accent+drunk=no comprende), lots of Japanese, Canadians, French, Germans and some dude that sold us some tweedle who bought his car from 3 Argentinian hippies who never learned English (who, btw, was from Michigan as well...gave Michigan prices too).

Just a very, very unique experience.

SpursFanFirst
10-21-2008, 05:47 PM
I'm glad you had a nice time, DR!

I could really use a trip right about now. :depressed

10-21-2008, 05:59 PM
:tu

Fire it up chief.

I wouldn't take it seriously enough and nobody would take me/it seriously.

I know my role.

DarkReign
10-21-2008, 08:31 PM
I wouldn't take it seriously enough and nobody would take me/it seriously.

I know my role.

I dont believe that for a moment. I would be vastly interested in some of the political and nonfiction other people read around here.

I wouldnt have much to contribute (im more science anthologies and popular fiction) but people like RG, FWD, Viva, Chump, 101A, BradLohas, Manny, etc would have regular contribtuions.

Just make sure the thread title is something simple and memorable so it can be bumped at will.

10-21-2008, 08:35 PM
I dont believe that for a moment. I would be vastly interested in some of the political and nonfiction other people read around here.

I wouldnt have much to contribute (im more science anthologies and popular fiction) but people like RG, FWD, Viva, Chump, 101A, BradLohas, Manny, etc would have regular contribtuions.

Just make sure the thread title is something simple and memorable so it can be bumped at will.

Like, umm, The Book Thread?

Will do, but not for a few days. I haven't read anything in weeks.

10-21-2008, 08:51 PM
A few I've read recently:

Guns, Germs and Steel; The Fates Of Human Societies by Jared Diamond
No True Glory: The Frontline Account Of The Battle For Fallujah by Bing West
The Gift Of Valor: A War Story by Michael Phillips
West of Jesus: Surfing, Science, and the Origins of Belief by Steven Kotler
In Search of Captain Zero: A Surfer's Road Trip Beyond the End of the Road by Allan Weisbecker
American Shaolin: Flying Kicks, Buddhist Monks, and the Legend of Iron Crotch: An Odyssey in the New China by Matthew Polly
The Songlines by Bruce Chatwin
Killing Pablo: The Hunt for the World's Greatest Outlaw by Mark Bowden
Into Thin Air: A Personal Account of the Mount Everest Disaster by Jon Krakauer

10-21-2008, 09:05 PM
You just couldn't wait, could you?

I was thinking of providing a line or two with each title; basic info on what the book is about, what kind of read was it, if you liked it, etc.

Start it up, 1369. I only have one book in my queue at the moment - The Lucifer Effect by Philip Zambardo. Plus, you've probably read more books in the last month than I have in the last six combined.

I know you've started book threads before and hopefully this new thread will garner more traction in this arena.

After all, reading is FUNdamental.

DarkReign
10-22-2008, 12:56 PM
A few I've read recently:

Guns, Germs and Steel; The Fates Of Human Societies by Jared Diamond
No True Glory: The Frontline Account Of The Battle For Fallujah by Bing West
The Gift Of Valor: A War Story by Michael Phillips
West of Jesus: Surfing, Science, and the Origins of Belief by Steven Kotler
In Search of Captain Zero: A Surfer's Road Trip Beyond the End of the Road by Allan Weisbecker
American Shaolin: Flying Kicks, Buddhist Monks, and the Legend of Iron Crotch: An Odyssey in the New China by Matthew Polly
The Songlines by Bruce Chatwin
Killing Pablo: The Hunt for the World's Greatest Outlaw by Mark Bowden
Into Thin Air: A Personal Account of the Mount Everest Disaster by Jon Krakauer

Did I mention 1369? No? Well I fucking should have....:tu

Hell yeah, a book thread is an awesome idea. Not if you expect it to be like the Quatro, but more as a static list to be referred to when choosing the next book to read.

I recently completed Debt of Honor by Tom Clancy. As stupid as this is going to sound, my favorite books are The Dark Tower series.

I read the first 3 books years ago and couldnt wait to read the 4th. Well, last year I found out there are seven books. Thats 4 books I have to catch up on.

I think after that, I am done with fiction in general. Start reading more history and political (along with science, cant drop that).

10-22-2008, 01:10 PM
I recently completed Debt of Honor by Tom Clancy. As stupid as this is going to sound, my favorite books are The Dark Tower series.

I read the first 3 books years ago and couldnt wait to read the 4th. Well, last year I found out there are seven books. Thats 4 books I have to catch up on.

I think after that, I am done with fiction in general. Start reading more history and political (along with science, cant drop that).

We've had this conversation before I believe, but due to the span between books (I read the first three as soon as they came out), I really lost interest with The Dark Tower and never went back.

For fiction books, before you go on hiatus try these (Apologies if we've covered these before):

Old Man's War by John Scalzi
Epic opener to a good book and series "I did two things on my seventy-fifth birthday. I visited my wife's grave. Then I joined the Army."

Pattern Recognition by William Gibson
A damn sight better than his latest, "Spook Country"

The Road by Cormac McCarthy
The book was a brilliant mind-fuck that still resonates with me close to a year after I read it.

The Electric Church by Jeff Somers
A relatively predicatable storyline in my opinion, but tight writing and narrative make it a good ride.

DarkReign
10-22-2008, 01:52 PM
Man, you have a voracious appetitie for reading :tu

This is what I am talking about. I find myself looking for books to read constantly, having a nice tidy thread that is easily searched would be awesome.

Thanks for the suggestions, btw.

10-22-2008, 02:20 PM
Man, you have a voracious appetitie for reading :tu

This is what I am talking about. I find myself looking for books to read constantly, having a nice tidy thread that is easily searched would be awesome.

Thanks for the suggestions, btw.

He started a thread in the Club creatively called Book Thread.

I'm the same. I'm always looking for new books to read.