PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know what I can do about unclaimed property?

MiamiHeat
09-29-2008, 02:01 PM
So, my father passed away when I was five years old. He owned (though was still paying) a commercial building that was worth around $3million back when he died in 1988. When he passed, my mother was devastated, 29 years old. She went to the banks, withdrew all money, and left the state with me without ever consulting a lawyer to see what he may or may not have left behind.

Recently, I looked into this problem with a friend who works in realty. The computer said someone had re-married my father with a strange woman TWO years after his death and this woman showed up on the ownership of the building. Coincidentally, my father had a falling out with his business partner and longtime friend, an uncle of my mother's side. A few months before my father's passing, my father had a verbal dispute and left the company on a vacation. They were involved in a horrible argument and their partnership was broken. My father went on vacation from the company and he froze the building and sent a letter to the state and bureau saying that the building will not be sold by him any time soon, so if it shows up sold it isn't him. This uncle I spoke of, has a history of falsifying paperwork.

Anyway, clearly there was fraud. My father died while married to my mother. My mother has heard gossip from her side of the family. The uncle passed away with horrible cancer (karma?) and the wife and children fought amongst each other in court for the inheritance. The building in question, however, could not be sold for some reason. They still have it.

So, 20 years later, is there something I can do or is twenty years too long? I'm 25 now and it pisses me off to hear all of this. To think that the uncle, who was a longtime friend of the family and my father, never sent a penny to my mother and me, then tried to steal the building from a widow and a five year old?

Not only that, but who wouldn't love to be a millionaire? I'm sure the building is worth a lot more by now.

Anybody know what I can do?

RandomGuy
09-29-2008, 02:10 PM
This seems like a question for a lawyer and a private investigator.

You could get the building back, but it would cost you a LOT of money.

mouse
09-29-2008, 02:14 PM
35UT-hOVfjc

kZHW-bQThE0

Sunshine
09-29-2008, 05:25 PM
Get yourself a lawyer. This is beyond advise on a message board.

And good luck!

PM5K
09-29-2008, 05:40 PM
Your father faked his death?