PDA

View Full Version : The Spurs Are Back; Introducing Santa Pop

duncan228
09-29-2008, 08:02 PM
The Spurs Are Back; Introducing Santa Pop (http://www.woai.com/content/sports/spurs/story.aspx?content_id=0db1e187-e807-4eec-9501-20e7c15daddd)
Reported by: Don Harris

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x282/duncan228/temp/santapop.jpg

Spurs Coach Gregg Popovich sports the Santa beard. (woai.com) Will the beard stay or go?

“Whatever Tim tells me to do, I’m gonna do,” said a very Santa-esque Coach Gregg Popovich Monday. “If he wants it cut, it’s gone. If he likes it, I’ll leave it. If he wants me to trim it, I’ll trim it.”

You see it’s up to the captain; not the coach. Actually, something tells me Mrs. Popovich will have the final say.

A new look for the coach and a new look team reported to training camp Monday. Some of the faces you will recognize and some you won't. The Spurs start camp Tuesday with 19 guys on the roster. That will be paired down to about 13 or 14.

With Manu Ginobili out, at least a couple of guys will have a chance to make a big impression. Roger Mason, the Spurs pickup from the Wizards, is one of those. Tim Duncan say's Manu's injury could be a blessing in disguise for Mason.

“It’s a great time for a learning curve for us. With the guys who have been here already we have that experience, but you add a new guy in there and bring him along,” Tim explained. “The minutes are going to be there because Manu’s not going to be in the mix. We’ll see what happens. We’re going to have to bring people along pretty quickly and get them going.”

Manu met with the media Monday, but won't practice for a while.

The last time we saw Manu, he was being yanked away from the airport by Coach Pop after returning from the Olympics. So I wanted to know -- why did Pop butt in and how was that ride home?

“That was a bad time for him. I didn’t want him answering any questions then. He had just gotten hurt. He has his coach about ready to rip his head off,” Coach Pop explained to me Monday.

Pop explained the conversation this way, “Manu! Get in that van. Let’s talk. How’s that ankle?”

“There wasn’t much of a conversation because he was hurt,” Pop elaborated. “We both knew he was probably going to have to get operated on. We just sat there and kinda stared at each other like, ‘I’ll be darned.’ You know? That kinda thing”

Manu seems to be out of the doghouse now.

m33p0
09-29-2008, 08:07 PM
it'll be gone by season's start. he's a military guy and likes to keep things clean when he's on the job.

m33p0
09-29-2008, 08:08 PM
Will the beard stay or go?
vBookie!!!!

Mr.Bottomtooth
09-29-2008, 08:17 PM
Please let it stay Pop.

Anti.Hero
09-29-2008, 08:24 PM
holy shit guys.

I can almost guarantee a championship if Pop keeps that beard all season. No joke.

Mr.Bottomtooth
09-29-2008, 08:25 PM
holy shit guys.

I can almost guarantee a championship if Pop keeps that beard all season. No joke.

:tu

SenorSpur
09-29-2008, 09:11 PM
Pop is one of the few men that I've noticed that look "less distinguished" with facial hair.

xellos88330
09-29-2008, 09:21 PM
He looks more like a rugged mountain man than Santa.

my2sons
09-29-2008, 10:34 PM
Oh I'm a lumberjack and i don't care...monty python classic....

Kriz-Maxima
09-29-2008, 10:41 PM
Keep it!!

PM5K
09-29-2008, 10:54 PM
You know I never took Pop for the kind of guy that gives a fuck about what people say, but I'd be surprised to see him keep that....

Trainwreck2100
09-29-2008, 10:58 PM
he needs to trim that shit up