PDA

View Full Version : McDonald: Postcards From Media Day

duncan228
09-29-2008, 11:10 PM
Jeff McDonald: Postcards from media day (http://blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblogs/courtside/archives/2008/09/jeff_mcdonald_p_15.html)

Well, it seems the Spurs have decided to play a 36th season of NBA basketball. Which means we here at the E-N have decided to cover it.

The new season began, unofficially, with Monday's media day. These day-before-training-camp extravanganzas typically seem to catch the Spurs players and coaches in the best mood they'll be in for the next several weeks.

To wit, some notes, quotes and anecdotes from today's festitivities:

* Roger Mason, the team's keynote offseason acquisition, was so eager to make a first impression that he didn't need an alarm clock.

"I couldn't sleep last night, and that's the honest truth," said Mason, a swingman erstwhile of the Washington Wizards. "I woke up at 6 this morning."

It was a happy day-before-media-day for Mason, who gleefully spent his last remaining free day watching his hometown Washington Redskins stun the Dallas Cowboys. He wasn't shy about celebrating the victory -- Mason says he exhanged trash-talking text messages with new teammate Bruce Bowen, an unapologetic Cowboys fanatic.

Mason stopped short of wearing his favorite piece of Redskins garb to meet the media. Again, it's all about first impressions.

"I almost came in with my Redskins slippers today," he said. "I had second thoughts, since I'm in Texas now."

* More than one Spurs veteran was asked about the arrival of George Hill, the 22-year-old rookie point guard drafted in the first round in June. Doesn't that throw off the age curve of what was, until recently, the oldest team in the NBA?

"I think we're probably going to cut him," Manu Ginobili said. "He's too young."

No need, Tim Duncan said.

"We're alright," he said. "We're still old."

* Michael Finley, one of those "old" guys, was nearly unrecognizable. Finley showed up at camp having lost 15 pounds -- down to 220.

The 35-year-old Finley decided he needed to play at a trimmer weight this season, to avoid the fatigue he believes caught up with him last season.

"I started working out two days after we were eliminated," Finley said. "I worked out every day this summer."

He also completely altered his diet, cutting out fried foods altogether and drastically limiting his intake of red meat. He subsists mostly on fresh fruits and vegetables, and eats four or five smaller meals a day instead of three larger ones.

* The most frequent topic of conversation Monday, however, had to be Gregg Popovich's beard. He arrived sporting the same white thicket of whiskers he'd been tending since the Western Conference Finals.

"I like what he's going for," Duncan said. "It's an intimidating look."

The future of Popovich's beard remains firmly in Duncan's hands.

"Whatever Tim tells me to do, I'll do," Popovich said. "If he wants it cut, it's gone. If he likes it, I'll leave it."

Of course, Popovich made it clear even that was a joke. The real master of his overgrown follicles, he says, is his wife Erin.

"She's reserving her judgment until I shower and get it trimmed," Popovich said. "I haven't done that all summer."

At this point, a certain Spurs beat writer noted that perhaps Erin Popovich doesn't want to be married to a Phil Jackson lookalike. Popovich laughed.

Hey, it's media day. Everyone's in a good mood.

timvp
09-29-2008, 11:15 PM
Michael Finley, one of those "old" guys, was nearly unrecognizable. Finley showed up at camp having lost 15 pounds -- down to 220.

The 35-year-old Finley decided he needed to play at a trimmer weight this season, to avoid the fatigue he believes caught up with him last season.

"I started working out two days after we were eliminated," Finley said. "I worked out every day this summer."

He also completely altered his diet, cutting out fried foods altogether and drastically limiting his intake of red meat. He subsists mostly on fresh fruits and vegetables, and eats four or five smaller meals a day instead of three larger ones.

http://drudgereport.com/siren.gif http://drudgereport.com/siren.gif

Sounds like good news. Finley main problem last season is he had no lateral quickness on defense. He also wore down big time in the playoffs.

Not sure if his weight loss program will help but it might. If he can be even the defender he was in 2006 and maybe mix in a couple more drives, he might be worth a role off the bench.

Then again, I remember Jaren Jackson doing the same thing going into the 2001 season and he ended up worse. :shootme

T Park
09-29-2008, 11:26 PM
Michael Finley if 50 billion times the player Jaren Jackson could even dream of.

Puhlease..

That being said, it can't hurt.

Why the hell not.

timvp
09-29-2008, 11:34 PM
Michael Finley if 50 billion times the player Jaren Jackson could even dream of.

Puhlease..Uh, no. Jaren Jackson in the '99 playoffs was much better than Finley has ever played while with the Spurs. Not only was Jackson clutch, he played lockdown defense.

Solid D
09-29-2008, 11:34 PM
Jeff McDonald: Postcards from media day (http://blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblogs/courtside/archives/2008/09/jeff_mcdonald_p_15.html)

Well, it seems the Spurs have decided to play a 36th season of NBA basketball. Which means we here at the E-N have decided to cover it.

...and it seemed like you were ACTUALLY waiting to see if they would.

NuGGeTs-FaN
09-29-2008, 11:37 PM
you guys are going to love Mason :smokin I just hope he is ready for the Spurstalk fire when he has a bad game :lol

timvp
09-29-2008, 11:38 PM

:lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao

T Park
09-29-2008, 11:45 PM
Uh, no. Jaren Jackson in the '99 playoffs was much better than Finley has ever played while with the Spurs. Not only was Jackson clutch, he played lockdown defense.

Are we seriously comparing the better player?

seriously?

timvp
09-29-2008, 11:47 PM
Are we seriously comparing the better player?

seriously?It looks like we are. You think Finley has played at a higher level while with the Spurs than Jaren Jackson circa '99 playoffs? Even if Finley is a better offensive players, Jackson was about 500 times better on defense.

DPG21920
09-29-2008, 11:49 PM
I think he means career better player

baseline bum
09-29-2008, 11:51 PM
That doesn't sound like a good diet at all for a professional athlete. I wish we still had Ferry here to teach players what they should be doing with their bodies.

completely deck
09-29-2008, 11:53 PM
I like that Finley is taking this extra chance seriously.

lurker23
09-30-2008, 12:03 AM
I'm very happy about this news concerning Finley. He's never been one of my favorites, partially because he often seemed to take shots that were completely out of the typical Spurs offense, and partially because I like Brent Barry and felt like he didn't get his share of minutes at times. (A few other reasons, including defensive ones, but they're not worth detailing, really.) However, neither are really fair or rational critiques, particularly because Pop openly gave Finley the green light to take those shots that most players shouldn't take in this system.

Subsequently, I haven't been very happy about his resigning, and have repeatedly said that I hope his role is severely limited. While I still hope that Mason gets the start over him while Ginobili is out, this more-in-shape Finley sounds to be more motivated to filling his role effectively this year. If this is the case, I welcome him back into the fold and hope he'll be a strong veteran presence and a good mentor to Mason and possibly even Hill and Stoudamire.

timvp
09-30-2008, 12:06 AM
That doesn't sound like a good diet at all for a professional athlete. I wish we still had Ferry here to teach players what they should be doing with their bodies.I wonder if Ferry has LeBron on those wheat grass shakes.

Avitus1
09-30-2008, 12:16 AM
Good read. I am hoping for the best outta that training camp.

Anti.Hero
09-30-2008, 12:17 AM
I'm expecting big things from Bonner this year. Look for more 12/15/07 (whenever that GoldenState game was) games from the red viking of doom this year.

In fact, don't be surprised if Kurt and Oberto are playing thumb wars at the end of the bench by February.

T Park
09-30-2008, 12:18 AM
That doesn't sound like a good diet at all for a professional athlete. I wish we still had Ferry here to teach players what they should be doing with their bodies.

?

Really? vegetables, low fat aren't good for the athlete?

Should he be hitting the red meat and pasta hard?

jcrod
09-30-2008, 12:46 AM
?

Really? vegetables, low fat aren't good for the athlete?

Should he be hitting the red meat and pasta hard?

Depends, you need carbs to have energy. Vegs and fruits don't have much carbs.

more good carbs = more fuel = more sustained energy

carina_gino20
09-30-2008, 12:55 AM
No update on Manu's rehab?

Solid D
09-30-2008, 01:14 AM

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=105999

carina_gino20
09-30-2008, 01:15 AM
Thanks, Solid. :) This was the first thread I checked.

Solid D
09-30-2008, 01:16 AM
:tu
I drank too much iced tea (caffeinated) so I'm still awake.

Russ
09-30-2008, 01:23 AM
One or two of these young guys is gonna step up and be huge. It won't be anyone the Spurs drafted though. :rolleyes

Slomo
09-30-2008, 05:12 AM

:lmao

I had a similar thought when I read it but you said way better than I would have. :tu

MoSpur
09-30-2008, 09:36 AM
I hope Finley trimming down is a good thing. I doubt it can be a bad thing.

polandprzem
09-30-2008, 02:29 PM

Yea, I'm surprised as well, especialy when I hear that they are eating fried food...

I know amateurs who have their diet constructed to perfection. When to eat, what excactly, at what time, what kind of carbs, proteins and fats (depends what they are doing at the specific day). All in precise time.
So they know how many grams of fat, proteins and carbs their body needs in a day diet.
So they have full control of their body, they want to puut up some weight - they do. they want to lose some - they do.

Seems like he decided to fasten his metabolism.

I eat 5-7 meals a day

ploto
09-30-2008, 02:43 PM
"She's reserving her judgment until I shower and get it trimmed," Popovich said. "I haven't done that all summer." :lmao

Hype Man Manu
09-30-2008, 02:47 PM

Pop try to make me go to rehab and I say no no no

I’m just kidding the ankle is improving and I am feeling much better. They make me rest only as a precaution. Since you guys question me so much I have only one question for you. I’m a time warner customer… ARE YOU?

Manufan909
09-30-2008, 02:53 PM
nope, my dorm gets free cable.

:flag:

FromWayDowntown
09-30-2008, 06:07 PM
I'm trying to get the math straight here.

I see that:

Michael Finley = Jaren Jackson * 50,000,000,000

and that:

1/2 Jaren Jackson = Michael Finley * 500

So does that mean that:

Michael Finley * 500 = Jaren Jackson * 25,000,000,000?

or does it mean something else?