PDA

View Full Version : LOL Avery

stretch
09-30-2008, 08:20 AM
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/basketball/mavs/stories/093008dnspomavsbriefs.19d9897.html?npc

lebomb
09-30-2008, 08:38 AM
Dayum!

monosylab1k
09-30-2008, 08:47 AM
sounds like BS spin control by Cuban. We all hated Avery but it's ridiculous to claim that half the team was demanding a trade because of him.

It's nice to see We Love Our Team version 3.0 released. Now it's got the But Our Last Coach Was An Asshole add-on.

Obstructed_View
09-30-2008, 08:57 AM
Obviously Devean George wasn't one of those guys.

SenorSpur
09-30-2008, 09:40 AM
I understand Jason "the Turtle" Terry's punk-ass was a HUGE Avery proponent from the beginning. I would be curious to know whether his allegiance for the "creole-seasoned" coach started to wane toward the end.

Obstructed_View
09-30-2008, 10:19 AM
You knew when the Mavs stopped focusing on defense that AJ had lost that team. That they had an avenue to the owner to go bitch about how mean the coach is surely didn't help.

Anti.Hero
09-30-2008, 10:24 AM
When you have guys like Terry and JHo that doesn't really make Avery look too bad.

Ill Cosby
09-30-2008, 11:15 AM
What? A coach continues to take you'll deep in the playoffs year after year and there's beef? The Mavs are the softest team in the league...

WHAT DOESN'T AVERY HAVE A JOB YET? Did Cuban blackball him?

easjer
09-30-2008, 12:18 PM
What? A coach continues to take you'll deep in the playoffs year after year and there's beef? The Mavs are the softest team in the league...

Back to back first round exits are not "deep in the playoffs". AJ lost the team. Cuban's close relationship with the players and issues with AJ probably didn't make it any easier to keep them, but if the Mavs had made it out of the first once in the last two years AJ might still have a job.

Gino
09-30-2008, 12:20 PM
If I played for the Mavs, I wouldn't demand a trade because of Avery. I would demand a trade because I played for the Mavs. :lol

washingtonwizard
09-30-2008, 12:22 PM
oh, so it really wasn't Cuban's boneheaded moves that ruined the Mavs??

dbreiden83080
09-30-2008, 12:33 PM
It is almost impossible for a coach in Dallas to have great success and be in control of his players over the long haul with how hands on Cuban is with that team. He is so close to that team, it is like he is another coach and the players know they can just run to him with complaints. Cuban is like the George Steinbrenner of the NBA. He is a great owner in that he wants to win really badly and he will do his best to get the resources to win but he tends to think he knows as much or more about the game as his coaches. Wasn't he fighting with Avery this year all the time over his rotation?? It is like when Steinbrenner used to threaten to fire Billy Martin if he didn't change his line-up.

monosylab1k
09-30-2008, 12:36 PM
It is almost impossible for a coach in Dallas to have great success and be in control of his players over the long haul with how hands on Cuban is with that team. He is so close to that team, it is like he is another coach and the players know they can just run to him with complaints. Cuban is like the George Steinbrenner of the NBA. He is a great owner in that he wants to win really badly and he will do his best to get the resources to win but he tends to think he knows as much or more about the game as his coaches. Wasn't he fighting with Avery this year all the time over his rotation?? It is like when Steinbrenner used to threaten to fire Billy Martin if he didn't change his line-up.

You could be 100% right. You probably are. I'm willing to give Cuban one more chance, and see how he handles Carlisle. If it's more of the same meddling, and he turns Rick into the bad guy the way he did with Nellie and Avery, then I'll be convinced that the Mavs will never win a title unless the salary cap is abolished, or Cuban sells the team.

dbreiden83080
09-30-2008, 12:57 PM
You could be 100% right. You probably are. I'm willing to give Cuban one more chance, and see how he handles Carlisle. If it's more of the same meddling, and he turns Rick into the bad guy the way he did with Nellie and Avery, then I'll be convinced that the Mavs will never win a title unless the salary cap is abolished, or Cuban sells the team.

He really to me is so much like Stenibrenner was in his hey-day with the Yanks. A tremendous passion for winning but when things are not going as well as he wants, he is all over every aspect of the team. Cuban doesn't seem to trust in his coaches to work it out for themselves. He has to have a hand in what is being done and said. So what happens if Rick gets under his players skin a little this year?? Just run to Cuban and complain again. I am probably annoying with the Yankee comparisons but Reggie Jackson and other Yankee players used to do the same thing with Steinbrenner when Martin was Manager. Now the Yankees won championships with Steinbrenner acting this way but it was like pulling teeth for his coaches all the way across the finish line. Cuban needs to have a little more trust and loosen up the reigns a tad.

SenorSpur
09-30-2008, 03:39 PM
Something about the picture of an NBA owner playing several games fo 1:1 with his players after practice, has screwy written all over it. Cuban, like Jerry Jones, does usurp head coaching authority because of his heavy-handedness. Problem is he is the only one who doesn't realize it.

duncan228
09-30-2008, 03:44 PM
Cuban's been like a kid in a candy store since day one. I agree, if he can't back off and trust his coaches they'll continue to have troubles.

Roxsfan
09-30-2008, 04:05 PM
The Mavs have fallen from semi-glory or regular season champions.....

dirk4mvp
09-30-2008, 04:09 PM
The Mavs have fallen from semi-glory or regular season champions.....

Were you alive when the "rox" won their illegitimate titles?

koriwhat
09-30-2008, 04:12 PM
as long as your "leader" is still a pussy, the team will never be considered a title contender let alone a 2nd rounder these days.

sook
09-30-2008, 06:19 PM
Were you alive when the "rox" won their illegitimate titles?

that has to be the dumbest thing i've ever heard, elaborate..:wakeup

dirk4mvp
09-30-2008, 06:22 PM
that has to be the dumbest thing i've ever heard, elaborate..:wakeup

WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE EEEEEEEEEE
EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE EEEEEEEEEEL

http://www.sneakerfiles.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/12/jordan_baseball_2.jpg

Obstructed_View
10-01-2008, 08:19 AM

As a long time resident of Dallas, I'm surprised that Cuban is loved for the same things Jerry Jones has been villified for. My guess is that once a pattern is established, the patience for him will run dry.

monosylab1k
10-01-2008, 08:49 AM
As a long time resident of Dallas, I'm surprised that Cuban is loved for the same things Jerry Jones has been villified for. My guess is that once a pattern is established, the patience for him will run dry.

Oh definitely. We had a coach completely rebuild the team and a second coach take them to the Finals, and in the end Cuban makes everyone believe that those guys were jerks who had to leave and that he was the good guy in all of this.

It's possible that Nellie was indeed a lazy ass who didn't care at the end, and that Avery was an overcontrolling dictator.....but it's also true that there were reports of Cuban demanding Dirk play with a career threatening injury (and Nellie standing up to him), and of Cuban making demands on certain players getting more minutes (and Avery standing up to him). So I'm not going to go against Cuban yet, but if he runs a third coach out of town because of his meddling, I'll be 100% against Mark. Especially if he tries to paint Rick as the villain and throw him under the bus as soon as he's gone.

This is definitely Mark's last chance, and hopefully all of DFW sees it that way.

dbreiden83080
10-01-2008, 10:18 PM
Cuban's been like a kid in a candy store since day one. I agree, if he can't back off and trust his coaches they'll continue to have troubles.

And i don't think it is in his nature to back off. He is a hands on guy who has a big time passion for winning. When things aren't going well, he wants answers right away and interferes with the coaching process. Maybe he'll learn and knock it off this year, we'll see.

The Franchise
10-01-2008, 10:34 PM
Oh definitely. We had a coach completely rebuild the team and a second coach take them to the Finals, and in the end Cuban makes everyone believe that those guys were jerks who had to leave and that he was the good guy in all of this.

It's possible that Nellie was indeed a lazy ass who didn't care at the end, and that Avery was an overcontrolling dictator.....but it's also true that there were reports of Cuban demanding Dirk play with a career threatening injury (and Nellie standing up to him), and of Cuban making demands on certain players getting more minutes (and Avery standing up to him). So I'm not going to go against Cuban yet, but if he runs a third coach out of town because of his meddling, I'll be 100% against Mark. Especially if he tries to paint Rick as the villain and throw him under the bus as soon as he's gone.

This is definitely Mark's last chance, and hopefully all of DFW sees it that way.

Mark Cuban is starting to become the Al Davis of the NBA.

Flight3107
10-01-2008, 11:18 PM
If I played for the Mavs, I wouldn't demand a trade because of Avery. I would demand a trade because I played for the Mavs. :lol

http://img100.imageshack.us/img100/5544/hitit1dd2.gif

BUMP
10-01-2008, 11:23 PM
Va'Gino strikes again

T Park
10-01-2008, 11:24 PM
The problem is you can't get rid of Cuban, or hope hes gotten rid of like a coach.

More than likely hes gonna be around for a very long time.

IronMexican
10-02-2008, 12:00 AM
Va'Gino strikes again

:lol

dirk4mvp
10-02-2008, 12:10 AM
The problem is you can't get rid of Cuban, or hope hes gotten rid of like a coach.

He's not gonna be at one place at a time for very long.

Biggems
10-02-2008, 01:30 AM

Avery doesnt have a job because Avery doesnt want one. Cuban is still paying him a good chunk of money for this year and possibly the next. If Avery takes another gig, then Cuban is off the hook from what I understand. I guess Avery is taking time off to be with the family, fulfill some other opportunities of interest, and continue to add to his bank account for doing absolutely diddly squat for the Mavs, courtesy of Cuban.

I am sure that once Cuban stops paying Avery, that the Little General will go get himself another coaching job.

Obstructed_View
10-02-2008, 02:01 AM

If they get to a point where the fans blame him, they can't hire a decent coach and the players either demand trades or won't come via free agency, then the Mavs have a problem.

Allanon
10-02-2008, 02:10 AM
http://www.sneakerfiles.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/12/jordan_baseball_2.jpg

Michael was forced out of the NBA for a couple of years, he had to do SOMETHING with his free time.