PDA

View Full Version : Aldridge: 'If we put defense first, we can do anything'

tlongII
09-30-2008, 01:09 PM
http://www.portlandtribune.com/sports/story.php?story_id=122274716227900900

Summer was not LaMarcus Aldridge’s favorite season.

He found it hard waiting for what might be a breakthrough year.

“It’s like summer took forever,” Aldridge said Monday, on the eve of Trail Blazer training camp.

Aldridge sees 2008-09 as a potentially big season for both him and the Blazers.

Expectations for the team are way above the rim, and Aldridge says he agrees with the optimism, on one condition.

“We can be good this year, but we have to focus on defense,” he says. “I think our offense will come easier than our defense.

“We feel like if we put defense first, we can do anything.”

And the defense, with the addition of Greg Oden, can be pretty good, he says.

“He’s massive,” Aldridge says.

Aldridge says it hasn’t been easy trying to guard Oden in unofficial workouts.

“Everything he gets he tries to dunk. I’m averaging eight fouls a day trying to guard him,” Aldridge says.

A healthy Oden will allow Aldridge to focus on his natural power-forward position and not spend so much time at center.

“It’s huge,” Aldridge says.

And, as he enters his third NBA season, Aldridge says he’s out to show he can be a huge factor for Portland and maybe get to the NBA All-Star game.

He averaged 17.8 points and 7.6 rebounds last season, with a team-high 19 double doubles, “but I think people feel like it was a fluke, that it was just because Greg wasn’t there.”

Even with Oden healthy and ready for his NBA debut season, “I think I will” post similar stats, Aldridge says, “because last year teams keyed on me and Brandon (Roy).”

Sissiborgo
09-30-2008, 01:48 PM
Aldridge and Greg will stay strong these 2...I'm looking forward seeing those 2 play...

DPG21920
09-30-2008, 02:07 PM
And the Stoke

JamStone
09-30-2008, 02:09 PM
Aldridge reminds of a young Sheed, minus the attitude.

Sheed's attitude is partly what made him as good as he has been in his career.

Aldridge doesn't appear to have a mean streak or play with that edge. Plus, I don't think Aldridge is that good in the low post, but I'm not that sure about that as I haven't watched him enough.

But, there are some similarities in size and length and ability to hit perimeter jumpers.