PDA

View Full Version : Bruce Springsteen Announced As '09 Superbowl Halftime Show

duncan228
09-30-2008, 01:21 PM
Bruce Springsteen Preps for the Big Game (http://www.eonline.com/uberblog/b31381_bruce_springsteen_preps_big_game.html)
by Erik Pedersen

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x282/duncan228/temp/springsteen.jpg
Kevin Mazur/WireImage.com
New Jersey is going to the Super Bowl.

The Garden State's own Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band has been announced as the entertainment during the Super Bowl XLIII Halftime at Raymond James Stadium in Tampa. The big game will air Feb. 1 on NBC.

The halftime gig, made infamous in 2004 by Janet Jackson and Justin Timberlake, has in recent years become the opportunity to bring out venerable rock acts to the estimated 148 million or so people watching. Recent performers have included the Rolling Stones, U2, Prince, Paul McCartney and Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, all rocking out to an adoring crowd and a five-second delay, in case anything spontaneous happens.

Aside from what should surely be a top-notch performance by Springsteen, fans can at least feel safe that no wardrobe malfunctions are likely occur with this bunch.

That is, unless Little Steven's head scarf gets blown off. Then things could get ugly.

duncan228
09-30-2008, 01:23 PM
Prediction: Bruce Springsteen's Super Bowl Setlist (http://blog.wired.com/music/2008/09/prediction-bruc.html)
By Eliot Van Buskirk

The Super Bowl halftime show, one of the most coveted slots in the music business, will be filled by Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band next February. Over 148 million people tuned in last year to watch fellow Americana practitioner Tom Petty busted out such classics as "American Girl" and "Running Down a Dream" in a well-received rock medley.

The stock market failed to rebound on news that "The Boss" would be handling music duties next year in Tampa Bay, Florida. However, like Petty, Springsteen is unlikely to have a wardrobe malfunction on the level of the Timberlake/Jackson fiasco of 2004, which should at least help conserve the airwaves for more pressing matters.

In the grand tradition of trying to guess the setlist of the Super Bowl performer in advance, here are the six songs Bruce is most likely to choose for his halftime set:

1. "Born To Run"

This one's about running, which occurs quite a bit in football. It's a done deal, especially if one of the teams boasts an unstoppable rushing game.

2. "Glory Days"

Ever see the video? As a Springsteen song that's already about sports, this one is a lay-up, so to speak. It somehow made me feel nostalgic before my Little League days were even over.

3. "Streets of Philadelphia"

Sure, it was written for a movie about an AIDS patient. But with the economy and so many other areas of the country looking fairly sick themselves, this one could sneak into the set list come next February. To wit, check out the opening lyrics: "I was bruised and battered, I couldn't tell what I felt, I was unrecognizable to myself. I saw my reflection in a window, I didn't know my own face. Oh brother are you gonna leave me wastin' away." Sound familiar, America? Plus, Bruce might be looking to bring the tempo down a notch after "Glory Days" so he can start ratcheting up the energy in anticipation of the finale.

4. "I'm On Fire"

It'll be time to pick up the mood by the time we get to the fourth song. What better than the transcendent eruption that occurs as this song hits the chorus? The Electrelane version (hear it live) really makes my arm hairs stand on end, but Bruce's is okay too.

5."Blinded By The Light"

Not many people know that Bruce Springsteen wrote this song, made popular by Mannfred Mann's Earth Band as a number one hit on the Billboard Hot 100 back in '77. What better way to remind everyone that Springsteen wrote it than by performing it in front of 148 million or so people?

6. Finale: "Born In The USA"

The perfect capper for Bruce's medley, this anthem is actually about the effects of the Vietnam War on those who served in it -- not that that has stopped everyone from Ronald Reagan to (presumably) the National Football League from serving it up an unequivocal statement of nationalism. It'd be the perfect way to sum up the idea that despite everything, we're still in it together.

leemajors
09-30-2008, 02:01 PM
another safe, boring pick. Thunder Dan should be there, he loves the Boss.

JoeChalupa
09-30-2008, 02:07 PM
The Boss Rocks!!! Now I'll have a reason to watch. :tu

Viva Las Espuelas
09-30-2008, 02:09 PM
http://www.sondrak.com/archive/skpics/crickets%20chirping,jpg

Pistons < Spurs
09-30-2008, 02:12 PM
God.... this halftime show is going to be even worse than last years, and I didn't think that would ever be possible.

duncan228
09-30-2008, 02:12 PM
another safe, boring pick.

I don't find him boring at all. Of course, I'm a Duncan fan so maybe he is. :lol

I think he takes chances, he's released albums way out of the mainstream, not caring about sales but only about what he wants to say. Everytime I've seen him live the shows have been incredible and no 2 alike even though I've seen him more than once on the same tour.

I agree he's a safe choice for the kind of audience and ratings the Superbowl brings, and it's a safe bet he won't do anything but raise the crowd to its feet.

mrsmaalox
09-30-2008, 02:19 PM
God.... this halftime show is going to be even worse than last years, and I didn't think that would ever be possible.

I thought theTom Petty show was nice; but I'm not interested in the Boss either.

Viva Las Espuelas
09-30-2008, 02:22 PM
i'd rather see quadriplegic twister

Trainwreck2100
09-30-2008, 02:24 PM
Fuck you Janet Jackson

Viva Las Espuelas
09-30-2008, 02:25 PM
Fuck you Janet Jackson
man, i hadn't thought of that. maybe next year they can reunite willie and julio.

"to all dee girls"

JoeChalupa
09-30-2008, 02:43 PM
This will be one of the best shows ever. But for Bruce it is about the music so I hope they keep all the fireworks and other flash out and just let his music do the talking. This is the type of music that I'm talkin' about!!!!

Trainwreck2100
09-30-2008, 02:45 PM
This will be one of the best shows ever. But for Bruce it is about the music so I hope they keep all the fireworks and other flash out and just let his music do the talking. This is the type of music that I'm talkin' about!!!!

As long as we don't have a bunch of 20 year olds singing along like they actually know the words when there's no way in hell they do.

JoeChalupa
09-30-2008, 02:47 PM
As long as we don't have a bunch of 20 year olds singing along like they actually know the words when there's no way in hell they do.

:lmao

duncan228
09-30-2008, 02:57 PM

:tu I'm with you, I'm a big Bruce fan. I also hope they keep the hype out, I expect they will. There wasn't much with Petty. Bands like this don't need any add-ons.

purist
09-30-2008, 04:20 PM
not a fan of springsteen.

Led Zeppelin would be awesome.

johnsmith
09-30-2008, 04:22 PM

I don't know, would you rather have a bunch of 20 year olds that don't know the words but are at least nice to look at or would you prefer a bunch of 40 year olds that know the words but are getting over the hill and haven't been attractive since 1995?

duncan228
09-30-2008, 04:36 PM
Led Zeppelin would be awesome.

After seeing Page's "performance" at the Olympics, I'm not so sure how awesome they'd be anymore. And I'm a fan.

JoeChalupa
09-30-2008, 04:44 PM
I don't know, would you rather have a bunch of 20 year olds that don't know the words but are at least nice to look at or would you prefer a bunch of 40 year olds that know the words but are getting over the hill and haven't been attractive since 1995?

A bunch of 20 year old hotties looking at 40 year old studs who want to be with a real man.

And how 'bout the Boss and Billy Joel teaming up for a concert on October 16th in support of Obama!!
That'll be a show to remember.

lefty
09-30-2008, 05:49 PM
Fuck you Janet Jackson

Good timing :lol

She just got released from a Montreal hospital

Thunder Dan
09-30-2008, 08:06 PM
the line at the restroom will be the longest in Super Bowl history

What the NFL didn't want to fork over the cash for the Jonas Brothers?

Twisted_Dawg
09-30-2008, 08:20 PM
The Boss Rocks!!! Now I'll have a reason to watch. :tu

The Boss used to rock before his voice got infected with Dylanitis and his music got so ecletic. Not sure anyone wants to hear The Ghost and Tom Joad at the Super Bowl.

Prediction: Bruce Springsteen's Super Bowl Setlist (http://blog.wired.com/music/2008/09/prediction-bruc.html)
By Eliot Van Buskirk

In the grand tradition of trying to guess the setlist of the Super Bowl performer in advance, here are the six songs Bruce is most likely to choose for his halftime set:

1. "Born To Run"

This one's about running, which occurs quite a bit in football. It's a done deal, especially if one of the teams boasts an unstoppable rushing game.

2. "Glory Days"

Ever see the video? As a Springsteen song that's already about sports, this one is a lay-up, so to speak. It somehow made me feel nostalgic before my Little League days were even over.

This song will never be played at the Super Bowl in fears of turning off 100 million TV's.

4. "I'm On Fire"

It'll be time to pick up the mood by the time we get to the fourth song. What better than the transcendent eruption that occurs as this song hits the chorus? The Electrelane version (hear it live) really makes my arm hairs stand on end, but Bruce's is okay too.

5."Blinded By The Light"

Not many people know that Bruce Springsteen wrote this song, made popular by Mannfred Mann's Earth Band as a number one hit on the Billboard Hot 100 back in '77. What better way to remind everyone that Springsteen wrote it than by performing it in front of 148 million or so people?

The perfect capper for Bruce's medley, this anthem is actually about the effects of the Vietnam War on those who served in it -- not that that has stopped everyone from Ronald Reagan to (presumably) the National Football League from serving it up an unequivocal statement of nationalism. It'd be the perfect way to sum up the idea that despite everything, we're still in it together.

Very Weak Prediction List. Add Tenth Avenue Freeze Out, Thunder Road, Hungry Heart & The Promised Land to the list. Also, he will surely do a newer song such as The Rising.

Spurminator
09-30-2008, 08:28 PM
He'll do three songs: Born to Run, Hungry Heart, and Born in the U.S.A. In that order.

Thunder Dan
09-30-2008, 09:27 PM
If the NFL limited it's search of artists to those from New Jersey I would go

1. Bon Jovi
2. My Chemical Romance
3. Jonas Brothers
4. Kool and the Gang
5.Pete Yorn

and if that fails ask Springsteen

PM5K
10-01-2008, 12:13 AM
Prince, every year....

IronMexican
10-01-2008, 01:07 AM
Too $hort would have been great.

Condemned 2 HelLA
10-01-2008, 03:11 AM
I still say that GWAR would provide ideal halftime entertainment for people of all ages.

Shelly
10-01-2008, 09:08 AM
I still say that GWAR would provide ideal halftime entertainment for people of all ages.

:lol That would be interesting!

Melmart1
10-01-2008, 09:15 AM

Shit, if they overreact to a nipple by making safe, boring choices then after GWAR I think they would just hold a prayer session at halftime and quit with the musical acts altogether!

ATRAIN
10-01-2008, 09:55 AM
another safe, boring pick. Thunder Dan should be there, he loves the Boss.

hahah I was thinking the same thing about Thunder Dan

Dammit I hate agreeing with you but your right!! Its too bad they dont have the lingerie bowl anymore

Strike
10-01-2008, 12:35 PM
Another safe halftime show for the network execs.

I don't even bother watching the halftime show. Haven't watched it in years. Halftime is when I go get more beer and chicken strips.

Thunder Dan
10-01-2008, 01:02 PM
hahah I was thinking the same thing about Thunder Dan

it's funny that for the Browns' first time in the Super Bowl they will have a lame halftime show

ATRAIN
10-01-2008, 01:06 PM
it's funny that for the Browns' first time in the Super Bowl they will have a lame halftime show

Thats funny I was thinking the same for the Texans!! So what are we betting on for a Texans vs Browns AFC champ game?

Thunder Dan
10-01-2008, 01:22 PM
Thats funny I was thinking the same for the Texans!! So what are we betting on for a Texans vs Browns AFC champ game?

well I don't know too much about the Texans, but if the Browns don't win the Super Bowl I will lose my condo and possibly my car--so Go Browns!

ATRAIN
10-01-2008, 01:26 PM
well I don't know too much about the Texans, but if the Browns don't win the Super Bowl I will lose my condo and possibly my car--so Go Browns!

Funny I can say the same thing about my small toes!! Go Texans!!

Shelly
10-01-2008, 01:50 PM

I used to watch the Browns when Brian Sipe was the QB. Art Modell should have never moved that team.

Well, I guess he technically didn't move the 'Browns"

Taco
10-01-2008, 02:00 PM
By Eliot Van Buskirk

The Super Bowl halftime show, one of the most coveted slots in the music business, will be filled by Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band next February. Over 148 million people tuned in last year to watch fellow Americana practitioner Tom Petty busted out such classics as "American Girl" and "Running Down a Dream" in a well-received rock medley.

The stock market failed to rebound on news that "The Boss" would be handling music duties next year in Tampa Bay, Florida. However, like Petty, Springsteen is unlikely to have a wardrobe malfunction on the level of the Timberlake/Jackson fiasco of 2004, which should at least help conserve the airwaves for more pressing matters.

1. "Born To Run"

2. "Glory Days"

Sure, it was written for a movie about an AIDS patient. But with the economy and so many other areas of the country looking fairly sick themselves, this one could sneak into the set list come next February. To wit, check out the opening lyrics: "I was bruised and battered, I couldn't tell what I felt, I was unrecognizable to myself. I saw my reflection in a window, I didn't know my own face. Oh brother are you gonna leave me wastin' away." Sound familiar, America? Plus, Bruce might be looking to bring the tempo down a notch after "Glory Days" so he can start ratcheting up the energy in anticipation of the finale.

4. "I'm On Fire"

5."Blinded By The Light"

This should be #1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glcPJHm0yN0

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=104608

JoeChalupa
10-01-2008, 02:14 PM
Taco knows!!! :tu

duncan228
10-01-2008, 02:15 PM
This should be #1...

I would love it. I've only seen him do it once live in all the times I've seen him.

Thunder Dan
10-01-2008, 02:49 PM
I used to watch the Browns when Brian Sipe was the QB. Art Modell should have never moved that team.

My stepdad was the kicker back then- no joke

Anti.Hero
10-01-2008, 03:14 PM
I just read the NFL is in negotiations to carry the live feed of puppy bowl on animal planet during the half-time show in 2011.

JoeChalupa
10-01-2008, 03:22 PM

I watched the Browns all the time when I lived in OH. Still a fan.

Jimcs50
10-02-2008, 11:18 AM
Just have marching bands.

Thunder Dan
10-02-2008, 11:34 AM
they should have karaoke night

Pistons < Spurs
02-01-2009, 08:19 PM
That was officially the worst half time show ever.

dirk4mvp
02-01-2009, 10:07 PM
That was officially the worst half time show ever.

Agreed. That was pretty terrible.

ClingingMars
02-01-2009, 10:23 PM
lame.

-Mars

Trainwreck2100
02-01-2009, 10:56 PM
they had teh fireworks and the cowbell, and where only lacking a second loud airforce flyyby`

Dr. Gonzo
02-01-2009, 11:15 PM
I just read the NFL is in negotiations to carry the live feed of puppy bowl on animal planet during the half-time show in 2011.

That would kick ass. The Puppy Bowl is all kinds of entertaining.

Dr. Gonzo
02-01-2009, 11:16 PM
Oh yeah and Bruce Springsteen sucks balls.

CuckingFunt
02-02-2009, 12:07 AM

As is the Kitten Halftime Show.

samikeyp
02-02-2009, 12:12 AM
I like Springsteen but not enough for him to do halftime. It looked like a regular live concert. Super Bowl halftimes are supposed to be special.

Props though to Jennifer Hudson. I thought she did well.

CuckingFunt
02-02-2009, 12:49 AM

Speaking of, I've got the replay on right now while trying to concentrate on homework, and there's a 10-week-old husky/beagle mix named Schroder who just keeps laying down and sleeping on the field. I want to steal him through the TV.

peewee's lovechild
02-02-2009, 12:49 AM
"Baby, we born to ruuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuun . . . "

peewee's lovechild
02-02-2009, 12:50 AM
They should bring in Metallica next year.

Or, have Guns N' Roses reunite for halftime.

CuckingFunt
02-02-2009, 12:59 AM
Speaking of, I've got the replay on right now while trying to concentrate on homework, and there's a 10-week-old husky/beagle mix named Schroder who just keeps laying down and sleeping on the field. I want to steal him through the TV.

Seriously.

http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/5082/schroderhv1.jpg

Condemned 2 HelLA
02-02-2009, 01:32 AM
Any guesses as to who's going to be the lame musical act during next year's Super Bowl?

TheMACHINE
02-02-2009, 02:35 AM
i woulda rather seen Journey at halftime.

JoeChalupa
02-02-2009, 07:50 AM
I agree with Mike & Mike In the Morning. Best half-time show I've seen in years. :tu By far.

The Boss!!

JudynTX
02-02-2009, 09:05 AM
As is the Kitten Halftime Show.

Oh yes, the kitten halftime show was da bomb!!! :lol:lol It made me want to get another one. :nope

Bruce was allright.....he didn't sing Born in the USA though. :rolleyes

Blake
02-02-2009, 09:08 AM
I thought it was funny that he tried to show off how flexible he still is with that microphone stand move at the beginning, but then looked like an old man teetering around the stage.

and what the hell.......where was born in the USA?

and the ref coming in and throwing the flag = lame

JudynTX
02-02-2009, 09:11 AM
I thought it was funny that he tried to show off how flexible he still is with that microphone stand move at the beginning, but then looked like an old man teetering around the stage.

and what the hell.......where was born in the USA?

and the ref coming in and throwing the flag = lame

My husband said he tried to slide, but it didn't quite happen that way. :lol I missed that part.

Yea, Born in the USA should have been a given.

The fireworks were cool.

Blake
02-02-2009, 09:15 AM
Paul Blart Mall Cop slides better than Bruce

peewee's lovechild
02-02-2009, 09:53 AM
i woulda rather seen Journey at halftime.

"Some day, love will find you
Break those, chains that bind you
You know I still love you
Though we touched and went
Our seperate ways"

Journey is the bomb!

peewee's lovechild
02-02-2009, 09:54 AM
Steve Perry has to be there, though.

peewee's lovechild
02-02-2009, 09:54 AM
My husband said he tried to slide, but it didn't quite happen that way. :lol I missed that part.

Yea, Born in the USA should have been a given.

The fireworks were cool.

Hahahaha, he crotch slapped the camera!

JudynTX
02-02-2009, 10:00 AM
"Some day, love will find you
Break those, chains that bind you
You know I still love you
Though we touched and went
Our seperate ways"

Journey is the bomb!

Did you see the performance by Journey? That new lead singer has an accent and tries too hard to be Steve Perry. :nope

desflood
02-02-2009, 10:13 AM
Seriously.

http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/5082/schroderhv1.jpg
Oh, look at him. Damn you.

Blake
02-02-2009, 10:14 AM
Did you see the performance by Journey? That new lead singer has an accent and tries too hard to be Steve Perry. :nope

I like the new singer.

You do know they found him on youtube?

JudynTX
02-02-2009, 10:18 AM
I like the new singer.

You do know they found him on youtube?

Yea, I knew that. He's ok, I guess.

That's also how Foreigner got their new lead singer.

tlongII
02-02-2009, 10:35 AM
I thought that new singer sounded almost exactly like Steve Perry. He did a good job.

Thunder Dan
02-02-2009, 11:19 AM
I hope they bring tits and ass back into the halftime show next year

TheTruth
02-02-2009, 11:44 AM
http://cdn.kissingsuzykolber.uproxx.com-s1.simplecdn.net/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/boss-nuts.gif

peewee's lovechild
02-02-2009, 11:52 AM
http://cdn.kissingsuzykolber.uproxx.com-s1.simplecdn.net/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/boss-nuts.gif

:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao

The Boss cock banged the world!!

tlongII
02-02-2009, 11:53 AM
What happened to The Lingerie Bowl?

xtremesteven33
02-02-2009, 12:34 PM
Bruce Springstein sucked A**
Jennifer Hudson kicked A**

CavsSuperFan
02-02-2009, 12:47 PM
Kind of thought that Bruce Springsteen looked like somebody's Dad out there trying to look cool...Lip sync, air guitar...What a hurting dude! Britney Spears would have been much better!

Dr. Gonzo
02-02-2009, 12:50 PM
Bruce Springstein sucked A**
Jennifer Hudson kicked A**

Jennifer Hudson lip synced

mrsmaalox
02-02-2009, 01:00 PM
What happened to The Lingerie Bowl?

Cancelled

http://www.freep.com/article/20090128/SPORTS11/90128073/-1/rss07

Clandestino
02-02-2009, 09:47 PM
Yeah, the halftime show sucked hard. i really think chalupa was lying about him liking it. i can't imagine ANYONE...ANYONE thinking it was a good show. it was boring as hell.