PDA

View Full Version : 5 Things The Suns Need To Stay Relevant In The West

duncan228
09-30-2008, 05:39 PM
5 things the Suns need to stay relevant in the West (http://azsportshub.com/2008/09/30/5-things-the-suns-need-to-stay-relevant-in-the-west/)
Greg Esposito

On a day when the stock market and the Cardinals are trying to recover from a complete and utter collapse there is some light at the end of the tunnel. That light is the start of Phoenix Suns training camp.

During the off season the Suns added new head coach Terry Porter, European back up point guard Goran Dragic, energetic swing man Matt Barnes and rookie center Robin Lopez. The Suns will return the top 7 players from their 2007-2008 campaign to go along with the new acquisitions and hit the court today to start putting it all together.

As practice tips off optimism is at its peak but in order for that optimism to turn into real success there are five things that must happen for the Suns in order to avoid becoming irrelevant in the loaded Western Conference.

5) Goran Dragic will have to live up to the hype

This one is quite simple. We’ve heard from the Suns front office that Dragic had the talent to be a lottery pick and that he is the heir apparent to the Steve Nash throne. In order for the Suns to be successful he has to prove this early and often this season. Without a veteran back up he is the only chance the Suns have of limiting Nash’s minutes and keeping Nash fresh for the playoffs. It’s a huge gamble that Kerr, Sarver and Porter are taking but it could pay major dividends now and in the future.

4) Terry Porter’s system and rotation has to be deeper than Mike D’Antoni’s

Albert Einstein once said the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.

That also seems to be the definition of the last four years under Mike D’Antoni for the Suns. Every season it seemed like D’Antoni and the Suns expected a different end result to their season even though they made little to no change in their plan.

Well that is over now and with a new season comes a new plan, coach and style. By changing things Suns are hoping they will get a different result than last years first round exit. To make sure it’s a positive result Porter’s system and rotation are key.

Unlike the “Run and Gun Suns” of the past 4 years Porter looks to install a deeper and fuller offense that is predicated on more than shooting fast and out scoring opponents.

At media day Porter spoke about the importance of winning to fans versus scoring at a high volume .

“So winnings not good enough, you’ve got to have excitement?” he mused. “You’d rather lose with 110 than win with 80 points? Fans don’t like that?”

That in a nut shell is what Porter will have to implement for the Suns to be successful. He will have to win games and fans with his teams ability to slow things down, run a structured offense and grind out victories.

He will also have to expand the rotation beyond that which Mike D’Antoni implemented. D’Antoni was notorious for having a very small core of players he trusted to play meaningful minutes and come playoff time his “guys” were exhausted or injured.

If Porter wants to have success in the playoffs he will have to keep Raja Bell, Shaquille O’Neal, Steve Nash and Grant Hill fresh by going deeper than 7 players. Finding minutes for guys like Dragic, Alando Tucker and Robin Lopez will give the Suns the opportunity to avoid late season injuries that have seemed to plague their veterans.

3) The Suns need the 2006-2007 version of Matt Barnes to show up

At $1.2 Million any production from Matt Barnes will make him valuable but if the Suns want to be NBA champions they will need Barnes to play like he did during the 2006-2007 season.

In 2006-2007 as a member of the Warriors Barnes set career highs in all major categories by averaging 9.8 points, 4.6 rebounds, 1 steal and 2.1 assists. During the playoffs he posted even higher numbers and helped lead the Warriors to the upset of the Dallas Mavericks.

Last season Barnes regressed due to personal issues including the death of his mother and lack of a long term contract from the Warriors.

This season he will need to combine his energy and defensive toughness with production close to his 2006-2007 level. If he can do that the Suns will have a player that can fill the void left by Shawn Marion and that can be a key piece to their championship run. If they get the Barnes from last season the Suns will have a serviceable role player.

2) Amare Stoudemire to show up defensively

Some will argue that the overall team defense is the main key to the Suns success this year but the team defense starts with Amare. Steve Nash is who he is on the defensive end of the court and you know what you will get from Shaq and Raja. Stoudemire is the only true defensive wild card.

When he wants to play defense there are few better at blocking shots and slowing down opponents in the lane. The problem is during the D’Antoni era there were times when his motivation disappeared. That could easily be attributed to the fact that Amare played in a system where defense was never a focal point let alone emphasized.

Enter Terry Porter.

Under Porter defense is key. So much so that he added former Chicago Bull Center Bill Cartwright to the staff for the sole purpose of working with Amare, Shaq and Robin Lopez. Amare and he Suns didn’t have a coach dedicated to working with the Forwards and Centers last season.

If Amare can show a new found dedication to defense and learn from Porter and Cartwright he could blossom into one of the leagues most complete players and a perennial MVP candidate.

1) Someone needs to make a sacrifice to the basketball gods :lol

Has there been any team in the NBA with worse luck than the Suns over the past 4 years? Heck the past 40?

Whether it was losing the coin toss to draft Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, losing Cedric Ceballos prior to the 1993 finals, trading for Stephan Marbury, Joe Johnson’s face plant, Amare’s micro-fracture surgery, Boris and Amare’s stroll from the Bench, Grant Hill’s appendix re-aggravating his sports hernia or Tim Duncan hitting a 3-pointer the Suns have just had plain old bad luck.

If they want any chance at hoisting the Larry O’Brien trophy this season than lady luck will have to firmly sit herself at the end of the Suns bench.

With an interesting mix of aging super stars, players yet to reach their potential (I’m looking at you Boris and Leandro) and young unproven rookies the Suns will need the perfect storm to find success in the talent laden West.

If these 5 things come to fruition the Suns will be able to remain as a relevant NBA franchise. If not the slow dark descent into rebuilding will have begun. Here’s to hoping the Suns rise and stave off the darkness for at least one more season.

lefty
09-30-2008, 05:51 PM
1 GM
1 coach
1 small forward
1 center
1 smart PF

Gino
09-30-2008, 05:54 PM
The Suns need a scheme to hide the deficiencies of Amare and Shaq. Amare SAYS all the right things about defense but never delivers.

Unfortunately, their wings aren't great defenders either (minus Bell).

Findog
09-30-2008, 07:11 PM
Whenever I'm taking a shit, I like to hold the toilet paper up to my nose after wiping it. My shit smells like a cross between Indian food and dandruff

SimonHymen
09-30-2008, 07:42 PM
Kinky.

Reggie Miller
09-30-2008, 07:48 PM
5. Somehow dump some of their retarded contracts in an Isaiah-free league.
4. For their owner and GM to develop a sense of perspective, rather than behaving like Caligula on a bender.
3. A coach who understands that the NBA season is longer than the season in the Italian league.
2. A center who will play at least 60 games/season.
1. Any star player who isn't in their decine phase.

FromWayDowntown
09-30-2008, 08:02 PM
1. Avoid San Antonio in the playoffs.

jack sommerset
09-30-2008, 08:07 PM
I've been on the Suns bandwagon 4 straight years.I am officially off.

Xylus
09-30-2008, 08:33 PM
Word. If the Spurs didn't exist, the Suns would have been in the Finals at least twice in the last 4 years.

pauls931
09-30-2008, 08:34 PM

I heard if the Spurs and Suns meet again, everyone in the stadium will suffer a Raiders of the Lost Ark style death.

That said a deeper rotation is a gimme (unless Porter is an idiot), all the rest are a prayer. If they can make Amare play defense god have mercy on the other team.

Reggie Miller
09-30-2008, 08:35 PM

I missed the most important one!

Indazone
09-30-2008, 10:34 PM
Alando Tucker to emerge as a force

sprrs
10-01-2008, 02:14 AM
“So winnings not good enough, you’ve got to have excitement?” he mused. “You’d rather lose with 110 than win with 80 points? Fans don’t like that?”

Weren't there some Suns fans on the AZ forum that said they'd rather have being fun and losing in the playoffs than being boring and winning like the Spurs? Would love to see their reactions now.

SenorSpur
10-01-2008, 03:39 AM
Weren't there some Suns fans on the AZ forum that said they'd rather have being fun and losing in the playoffs than being boring and winning like the Spurs? Would love to see their reactions now.

Folks here in Big D have been saying that for years - especially during the Nellie era.

timtonymanu
10-01-2008, 05:29 AM

those are honestly the dumbest fans ever. wat's so fun about losing games?

RonMexico
10-01-2008, 08:20 AM

Which is why I never go to those forums. Those are the bandwagon, douchebag, non-cheering fans you see at Suns games these days. Not at all like the crowds in '93.

I will sacrifice something to the b-ball Gods. I don't know what it is, yet. Depending on the first 15 games, it might have to be Leandro Barbosa.

Reggie Miller
10-01-2008, 09:37 AM
Which is why I never go to those forums. Those are the bandwagon, douchebag, non-cheering fans you see at Suns games these days. Not at all like the crowds in '93.

I will sacrifice something to the b-ball Gods. I don't know what it is, yet. Depending on the first 15 games, it might have to be Leandro Barbosa.

I am the Oracle of the Basketball Gods, and they have spoken:

"We don't want him, unless he comes with some sort of elaborate French cream sauce (served on the side)."

(The Basketball Gods are high maintenance, but unfortunately, they THINK they are low maintenance. Those whacky Basketball Gods!)

Obstructed_View
10-01-2008, 10:03 AM
What do they mean "stay relevant"? I think they mean "be relevant". And here's my list for that:

1. Win the west
2. Win the west
3. Win the west
4. Win the west
5. Win the west

Anti.Hero
10-01-2008, 10:07 AM

/thread

ambchang
10-01-2008, 10:07 AM
5 things the Suns need to stay relevant in the West (http://azsportshub.com/2008/09/30/5-things-the-suns-need-to-stay-relevant-in-the-west/)
Greg Esposito
2) Amare Stoudemire to show up defensively
… When he wants to play defense there are few better at blocking shots and slowing down opponents in the lane. The problem is during the D’Antoni era there were times when his motivation disappeared. That could easily be attributed to the fact that Amare played in a system where defense was never a focal point let alone emphasized.

Amare Stoudemire has little to no fundamentals when he plays defense, and his approach is based strictly off his instincts. His positioning is terrible, and his rotations are usually late. He does not slow down the opponents in the lane better than most in the NBA, and it takes more than “motivation” to make his defense good.

I am hoping to see Porter actually coach Stoudemire to better defense, because based on his athleticism, he should be much better on defense than he actually is. However, we have also seen players who have top notch athleticism but go through whole careers without being even decent defenders.

1) Someone needs to make a sacrifice to the basketball gods

Has there been any team in the NBA with worse luck than the Suns over the past 4 years? Heck the past 40?

Whether it was losing the coin toss to draft Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, losing Cedric Ceballos prior to the 1993 finals, trading for Stephan Marbury, Joe Johnson’s face plant, Amare’s micro-fracture surgery, Boris and Amare’s stroll from the Bench, Grant Hill’s appendix re-aggravating his sports hernia or Tim Duncan hitting a 3-pointer the Suns have just had plain old bad luck.

Outside of the coin toss, none of them could be attributed to luck. Injuries are part of the game, trades are all FO and not luck, bench incident was avoidable, Grant Hill has been known to have injuries, Duncan incident was poor defense.

And there definitely has been teams with worse “luck” if you define it that way. Blazers with Bowie and Walton (hopefully Oden will be fine), and the jailblazers, Clippers with everything, including Loy Vaught and Shaun Livingston, Hawks with the front office turmoil and wasting the young talent, Hornets with Zo, LJ, Katrina, injuries, West’s back, Rockets with injuries every year, Kings with game 6. The list goes on.

Gino
10-01-2008, 12:52 PM
5. Somehow dump some of their retarded contracts in an Isaiah-free league.
4. For their owner and GM to develop a sense of perspective, rather than behaving like Caligula on a bender.
3. A coach who understands that the NBA season is longer than the season in the Italian league.
2. A center who will play at least 60 games/season.
1. Any star player who isn't in their decine phase.

I dont think Amare is on the decline yet.

Neither are Diaw and Barbosa, but Im not sure what you mean by "stars"