PDA

View Full Version : Tony Parker has officially turned a corner

1Parker1
02-11-2005, 10:27 PM
Aside from his rocky start at the begining of the season, he has been playing consistent basketball this season. His shot selections are better, he's finding a balance between scoring and assisting, and he is shutting down and outplaying some of the best PG's in the league.

Onto Sunday, which will be a real test for Tony because if there's one PG who can keep up with Tony, it's gotta be Wade. Tony will have his hands full trying to defend him Sunday. I can't wait for that game! :elephant

boutons
02-11-2005, 10:29 PM
yep, Tony was barely recognizable tonight.

A New Man is among us.

SequSpur
02-11-2005, 10:31 PM
Good take. I think Manu making the allstar team has woken his ass up. Do you think Parker will intentionally pass up the Manu play to take his own shot or give it to someone else??????? Hmmmmmmmmmmm... inquiring minds want to know....

1Parker1
02-11-2005, 10:32 PM
^^^Yea, Tony's gonna start passing the ball more to Rasho instead of Manu :)

GoSpurs21
02-11-2005, 10:32 PM
Good take. I think Manu making the allstar team has woken his ass up. Do you think Parker will intentionally pass up the Manu play to take his own shot or give it to someone else??????? Hmmmmmmmmmmm... inquiring minds want to know....No I think Tony and Manu will do whatever it takes to win games

exstatic
02-11-2005, 10:33 PM
Put on some fucking glasses, boutons. In the last five games, he's had
27/8 22/9 20/6 17/10 22/9

1Parker1
02-11-2005, 10:33 PM
I actually think its a good thing he didn't make the All Star team. It's good motivation for him to continue playing at the level he's been playing and not get satisfied.

Experiment2100
02-11-2005, 10:36 PM
Until he crashes back down to Earth

Athenea
02-11-2005, 10:39 PM
He won't.
For the 20th time: Tony is becoming an all-around playa!! A complete player at his position ergo a better pg (both def-offen)

Manu20
02-11-2005, 10:46 PM
I actually think its a good thing he didn't make the All Star team. It's good motivation for him to continue playing at the level he's been playing and not get satisfied.

Agreed, he is going to prove to everybody that he should be an All-Star.
I think his average for the season is 16 and 6. IMO by the end of the season he will end up averaging 17 and 7.

whottt
02-11-2005, 10:47 PM
Where were you guys in games 1 and 2 of the LA playoff series last season?

Parker was the best player on the court in games 1 and 2.

Any of you guys that have been watching the game for a while...I want you to tell me the last time you saw a guard draw a double team from Phil Jackson...Rip Hamilton didn't. And that was on top of the cheat defender Duncan was drawing.

Parker is a force and some of us saw it coming a looooooooong time ago...

While others...

Whitney>Parker

And still others(who seem to have conveniently forgotten their stance)...

Wanted Jason Kidd.

myhc
02-11-2005, 10:47 PM
I think the real question is, Tony or Beno 3 years from now? :angel

ShoogarBear
02-11-2005, 10:53 PM
With the notable exception of the Phoenix game, he's been great for the last almost two months now.

It's getting to the point where I take his penetration and amazing layups almost for granted. The floater has become a better money shot for the Spurs than Tim's banker. He singlehandedly the Spurs in the game until Bruce pulled the Jedi Mind Trick on Vince and Manu and Tim decided to come back from wherever the frick they had been.

But his defense is starting to become crazy. Like All-Defense Second Team crazy.

whottt
02-11-2005, 10:57 PM
But his defense is starting to become crazy. Like All-Defense Second Team crazy.

His defense is the area he has improved the most in this season...I think he wanted to reward Pop for getting his back on the contract issue by improving in the area that Pop loves the most.

All the same...I hope I never see him having to defend Vince Carter again...

I'd say about 42 of Carter's 43 points tonight came against Parker off picnroll switches.

exstatic
02-11-2005, 10:59 PM
Onto Sunday, which will be a real test for Tony because if there's one PG who can keep up with Tony, it's gotta be Wade.

Sean said it best. At this point, there is no one that can stay in front of Tony. He has so many spins and crossovers, combined with his inate quickness that he leaves them standing at the FT line.

From what I've seen of Wade, he has the tools to play Tony tough, but I haven't seen him sell out on D yet. I don't think it's something you turn on and off. I've watched some Miami games, and he doesn't seem real interested.

Kori Ellis
02-11-2005, 11:06 PM
Parker-Wade matchup is going to be interesting on both ends. Wade may be too quick for Bowen to guard and may be too big for Tony guard.

It's going to be a sweet GTG game.

ducks
02-11-2005, 11:09 PM
Parker hit a big 3-pointer with 46.9 seconds to go and he added four free throws down the stretch as San Antonio closed the game with a 9-0 run.

picnroll
02-11-2005, 11:10 PM
It takes two to play the picnroll and Shaq will have to be one of them. Manu and TP should go at it and get Shaq in foul trouble.

boutons
02-11-2005, 11:13 PM
"Put on some fucking glasses, boutons"

fuck you, ex. Tony's importance tonight was not simply stats, but leadership, which way too subtle a quality for you to perceive.

diceman
02-11-2005, 11:13 PM
Parker has been incredible the last couple months after that slow start. He is doing a great job not only scoring when needed but running the offense more efficiently. His defense has come along way since last year that is for sure. His only fault right now is his poor FT shooting but I'm sure that will come around before too long. He is just pressing at the line. That being said TP will ultimately be judged on how successful he is in the playoffs.

:hat

ShoogarBear
02-11-2005, 11:15 PM
Oh, yeah. The FTs. They're horrible. Putrid.

ALVAREZ6
02-11-2005, 11:16 PM
Good take. I think Manu making the allstar team has woken his ass up. Do you think Parker will intentionally pass up the Manu play to take his own shot or give it to someone else??????? Hmmmmmmmmmmm... inquiring minds want to know....
Tony already hates manu, now he really hates him...

Kori Ellis
02-11-2005, 11:16 PM
His defense is the area he has improved the most in this season...I think he wanted to reward Pop for getting his back on the contract issue by improving in the area that Pop loves the most.

I've talked to Tony a couple times this season about his defense. He attributes a lot of his improvement to Bruce who has helped him realize that there are a lot of guards in the league who can score/dish, but if Tony can score, dish and defend -- then he can become one of the best. Tony says now he gets up for games when he's going to be on one of the bigger scorers and he loves the challenge.

People can say all they want about Tony's inconsistencies (which have become less and less) offensively -- but everyone should be able to give him props on his improved D.

Kori Ellis
02-11-2005, 11:17 PM
Tony already hates manu, now he really hates him...

Don't be an idiot. Manu and Tony love each other.

ALVAREZ6
02-11-2005, 11:18 PM
Don't be an idiot. Manu and Tony love each other.
I was joking.

But Tony doesn't seem to like passing the ball to Manu...selfish Frenchman... :smokin

exstatic
02-11-2005, 11:31 PM
Tony was on fire, and had the straight on shot for three. Manu had not been good with his jumper for most of the night. Don't make something out of nothing.

boutons, you've been ripping Tony for most of the year with little cause, and usually about not producing. Fuck off, yourself.

ducks
02-11-2005, 11:33 PM
Put on some fucking glasses, boutons. In the last five games, he's had
27/8 22/9 20/6 17/10 22/9

YOU FORGOT HIS REBOUNDS

HE HAS BEEN HUGE THERE TO! :angel

ALVAREZ6
02-11-2005, 11:39 PM
How many TP threads do we need? Honostly?

How about we proclaim him the new king...

ducks
02-11-2005, 11:44 PM
what is wrong
your man manu did not have the 17 points in the fourth tonight
and you can not praise him

I post manu's great players when he has those sweet plays in the fourth he gets plently of threads

T Park
02-11-2005, 11:54 PM
How many TP threads do we need? Honostly?

WTF is with the border wars.

the Manu fans hate Parker

the parker fans hate manu.

Everyone hates Rasho JUST KIDDING!!!!

Parker was an all star again tonight.

But, if only we had Gilbert Arenas......

Johnny_Blaze_47
02-11-2005, 11:56 PM

Parker was an all star again tonight.

But, if only we had Gilbert Arenas......

You mean we WOULDN'T be better with...

Jason Kidd
Gordon Giricek
Chris Webber
Manure
HITA

T Park
02-12-2005, 12:03 AM
Clifford Robinson.... lol

What about Shareef Abdur Raheem

Supposedly he was all but here for Steve Smith in 02.

1Parker1
02-12-2005, 01:13 AM

:lol Very funny, T Park. You know, I actually think I like Manu a little less, simply because of all his loyal fans on the forum who make him out to be a God without acknowledging his faults :)

mattyc
02-12-2005, 01:22 AM
Very keen to see how TP plays in the playoffs... :spin

san antonio spurs
02-12-2005, 05:14 AM
manu,TP,TD,
the only we'll remember at the end of the season,will be the one who got hot and crazy in the WCF and the finals.
as those two(tony and manu)can easily have monster games or very poor ones.
No need to talk much now,just wait and hope they'll bring this kinda game when needed. IN THE PLAYOFFS
________
Laguna Bay II Condominium Pattaya (http://pattayaluxurycondos.com)

PM5K
02-12-2005, 06:35 AM
I think a lof of us saw it coming and I took the thread title to mean he finally turned that corner. He had shown flashes of being great, but the question is would he always be a player who played well from time to time or game to game and then would crash back down or would he ever get to that point where he is consistently good and I think he's turned that corner and he's now good consistently.

Sure he'll have bad games from time to time but now it's quite the opposite, he used to have great games from time to time and now he'll have bad games from time to time.

Hell even Michael Jordan had bad games, and that's another important part of being a great player is to not have your typical good game but still have great impact on the game and I think Tony has shown he can do that as well. We have all seen a few games where the shot didn't fall but he still lead the team and distributed the ball....

xcoriate
02-12-2005, 07:30 AM
Yep ^^ thats exactly it the good games now far outweigh the bad ones.

and i mean seriously alvarez and others fuck off with bashing Parker, he had a sweet game, Manu played awesome against the suns. Why would we need to constantly compare the two. Both are great... more importantly both play for the spurs.

Stop the hating, learn to love em both !!!

Jimcs50
02-12-2005, 08:59 AM
This game was a microcosm of Tony's season. The 1st half TP sucked,(2 pts) but the 2nd half, TP showed why he is a top 5 PG in this league. TP turned the corner about a month or so ago ago. This was just another great game..well, 2nd half for him.

In another year or two, the Spurs will have the best 1-2 punch at the PG position un the NBA, in TP and Beno. They will be every bit as good as the Bibby-Jackson duo of the last few yrs.

Jimcs50
02-12-2005, 09:08 AM
:lol Very funny, T Park. You know, I actually think I like Manu a little less, simply because of all his loyal fans on the forum who make him out to be a God without acknowledging his faults :)

Faults? He has no stinkin faults!!!

:)

MaNuMaNiAc
02-12-2005, 09:34 AM
:lol Very funny, T Park. You know, I actually think I like Manu a little less, simply because of all his loyal fans on the forum who make him out to be a God without acknowledging his faults :)That's just some of us! I'm a Manu fan and I got to tell you, as of late, Parker has been playing a lot better than Manu. I love Parker's playin man, hes GOOOOOOOOOOD! lol Don't start disliking Manu just because some fans function on blind faith. Its not his fault.

usckk
02-12-2005, 09:36 AM
Spurs fans always have their little CIVIL WAR.... Haha :)

adrien
02-12-2005, 09:51 AM
TP has turned a corner. He has beaten the best PGs of the league.
( Kidd yesterday, Bibby 01/23, Arenas 01/17, tinsley 01/6, nash 12/28, payton 12/27, billups 12/03, marbury 11/09 ).

The only games he was behind were vs franchise player point guards such as francis or iverson.
I definitely wanna see what he'll do vs Wade.

usckk
02-12-2005, 10:00 AM
He beat Iverson the first time, by a lot. :)

Brodels
02-12-2005, 10:01 AM
Man, if he can hit his jumper on a little more consistent basis he'll be top three at his position. That's the only thing that's preventing him from being an all star.

picnroll
02-12-2005, 10:09 AM
.... and FTs. He's got to get that straightned out. It just doesn't look cool having your PG bricking FTs.

Frenchise player
02-12-2005, 11:48 AM
This game was a microcosm of Tony's season. The 1st half TP sucked,(2 pts) but the 2nd half, TP showed why he is a top 5 PG in this league. TP turned the corner about a month or so ago ago. This was just another great game..well, 2nd half for him.

In another year or two, the Spurs will have the best 1-2 punch at the PG position un the NBA, in TP and Beno. They will be every bit as good as the Bibby-Jackson duo of the last few yrs.
Happy to see that you became a Tony fan :lol
By the way he had been great since December as I posted in another thread.

boutons
02-12-2005, 12:04 PM
Tony's jumpers and FTs are becoming a disaster. If some team figures out how take away Tony's layups (eg: the 04 playoff Lakers. The 05 Pistons could do it), then Tony's screwed, and when Tony's screwed, the Spurs are screwed.

After the playoffs, he said he was going to spend all summer on shooting, but it looks like it will take another summer or two, and serious change in hopeless shot mechanics.

Tony was 10-17 last night from the floor. Does anybody have his FG made/attempted minus the layups? He was 60% from the line.

But, bad shooting aside, he leadership and effort in the 4th quarter was something I've not seen from him. That's the corner I think he's starting to turn, becoming the clear, vocal leader that Tim isn't suited for. When Tony calls you out, you better fucking listen, and respond.

T Park
02-12-2005, 12:09 PM
I actually think I like Manu a little less, simply because of all his loyal fans on the forum who make him out to be a God without acknowledging his faults

Easily one of the dumbest things Ive read on this forum.

You like a guy less cause of his fans???

Your more of a Tony Parker fan, than a Spurs fan in that case.

1Parker1
02-12-2005, 12:13 PM
I was joking T-Park. Calm the hell down :rolleyes

ALVAREZ6
02-12-2005, 01:16 PM

You all got what I said wrong.

When did I say I hated parker, I like Parker.

What I was trying to say last night was we had at least 5 different threads just on TP.

MY question is, why don't we have just 1 huge thread on TP, to be more organized or something,...I hate having to look into 87 different threads to see crap. That's all.

ALVAREZ6
02-12-2005, 01:17 PM
Faults? He has no stinkin faults!!!

:)
EXACTLY!!!!!!!!!!!
:blah :lol :lol :smokin :drunk :spin :lmao :lmao :lol

TwoHandJam
02-12-2005, 01:21 PM
I've talked to Tony a couple times this season about his defense. He attributes a lot of his improvement to Bruce who has helped him realize that there are a lot of guards in the league who can score/dish, but if Tony can score, dish and defend -- then he can become one of the best. Tony says now he gets up for games when he's going to be on one of the bigger scorers and he loves the challenge.

People can say all they want about Tony's inconsistencies (which have become less and less) offensively -- but everyone should be able to give him props on his improved D.His consistency has definitely improved and his improvement on D this year is exceptional.

Kori Ellis
02-12-2005, 01:21 PM
I hate having to look into 87 different threads to see crap.

Where are they? I see two TP threads on the front page. And one on the second page that's a bumped thread from January.

ALVAREZ6
02-12-2005, 01:22 PM
I really like his ability to penetrate, and TP shows no fear when he is going into the lane and outting up shots. With fundemental pump fakes, you can never go wrong, and that's why Parker gets a lot of points in the paint as a shorter PG.

ALVAREZ6
02-12-2005, 01:23 PM
Where are they? I see two TP threads on the front page. And one on the second page that's a bumped thread from January.
That was exagerated, but there were 5 of them last night after the game.

NCaliSpurs
02-12-2005, 01:31 PM
Tony's jumpers and FTs are becoming a disaster.

He needs to hit his free-throws. He is shooting 55.6% from downtown in 4 February games. He had a crappy 3pt% in January, but still managed to shoot 50.5% for his FG%.

In December though, he shot 42.9% from downtown.

His long-distance shooting has been inconsistent, but his scoring has not. And a scorer will find ways to get it done.

If some team figures out how take away Tony's layups (eg: the 04 playoff Lakers. The 05 Pistons could do it), then Tony's screwed, and when Tony's screwed, the Spurs are screwed.

Being able to score and create from the paint is the key to winning playoff games.

In the playoffs, there will more focus on stopping the penetration (but believe me, they are trying right now), and it won't be Tony's job to hit lots of 3's anyway, just like it isn't Tim's job.

His job will be to continue to attack and penetrate, scoring when there are opportunities and dishing when he draws double-teams.

T Park
02-12-2005, 02:11 PM
then hell penetrate and kick to

Duncan
Barry
Bowen
Ginobili
Brown
Udrih

and it will be there job to knock down shots.

People forget hes only 22.

Hes so far ahead of schedual of other people, its not even funny.