PDA

View Full Version : Thomas sits with strained hamstring

Drippin' Fan
10-01-2008, 09:33 AM
With the first day of Spurs training camp came the first nagging injuries of the season.
Veteran forward Kurt Thomas was held out of Tuesday's drills with a mild left hamstring strain.
Guard Salim Stoudamire, signed to a free agent contract last week and expected to compete for a backup spot at both guard positions, suffered a right groin strain.
Neither injury was believed to be serious.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Spurs_Notebook_Thomas_sits_with_strained_hamstring .html

More bad luck.

TDMVPDPOY
10-01-2008, 09:46 AM
im enjoyin this shit offseason, why doesnt this happen during the season so we can tank while we're at it

Supergirl
10-01-2008, 09:58 AM
"Neither injury was believed to be serious. "

Let's hope not.

Solid D
10-01-2008, 10:03 AM
im enjoyin this s*** offseason, why doesnt this happen during the season so we can tank while we're at it

It does happen during the season. It happens in every sport, in training or in season, each and every year...but I think you know that.

spurs50_
10-01-2008, 10:14 AM
Why tank, so Oklahoma can get better? Man, I hope Tolliver makes the team.

SenorSpur
10-01-2008, 10:40 AM
Why tank, so Oklahoma can get better? Man, I hope Tolliver makes the team.

Unless he totally derails, Tolliver HAS to make the team. Outside of Bonner, he's the only other perimeter shooting big.

pad300
10-01-2008, 11:14 AM
Unless he totally derails, Tolliver HAS to make the team. Outside of Bonner, he's the only other perimeter shooting big.

Really? Bigs aren't supposed to be out on the perimeter launching shots, they're supposed to be beating people up on the inside. We have Thomas who has previously hit a 15 ft jumpshot consistently. We also have a marked lack of size (relative to much of the West) and banging ability that I am not sure that Tolliver can help with. Watkins might be much more fruitful in taking some load off of Tim...

ploto
10-01-2008, 11:19 AM
Guard Salim Stoudamire, signed to a free agent contract last week and expected to compete for a backup spot at both guard positions, suffered a right groin strain.

Beno is back?

SenorSpur
10-01-2008, 11:27 AM
Really? Bigs aren't supposed to be out on the perimeter launching shots, they're supposed to be beating people up on the inside. We have Thomas who has previously hit a 15 ft jumpshot consistently. We also have a marked lack of size (relative to much of the West) and banging ability that I am not sure that Tolliver can help with. Watkins might be much more fruitful in taking some load off of Tim...

You've obviously misjudged what Tolliver's role is going to be. He's not going to be expected to "bang down low" and take up space in the paint.

He will be expected to do what he did during summer league - spread the floor with his outside shooting - and play defense. Same as Bonner is expected to do. Same as Horry has done that past 3-4 years.

Pop always keeps 1 or 2 perimeter-shooting big men on the roster for that express purpose. I called Tolliver a "big" because he's 6'8". Horry was considered a big at 6'10". Bonner is also considered a big at 6'10".

For the record, I agree with you in that we do have a marked, "lack of size" in the paint. However that void will have to be filled by the usual trio of Duncan, Fab and KT, with support from Ian and perhaps Watkins. I also agree that, with the ever-increasing size of Western Conference frontlines, that may not be enough.

Los Spurs
10-01-2008, 11:33 AM
Here's wishing Thomas a speedy recovery

pad300
10-01-2008, 11:33 AM
You've obviously misjudged what Tolliver's role is going to be. He's not going to be expected to "bang down low" and take up space in the paint.

He will be expected to do what he did during summer league - spread the floor with his outside shooting - and play defense. Same as Bonner is expected to do. Same as Horry has done that past 3-4 years.

Pop always keeps 1 or 2 perimeter-shooting big men on the roster for that express purpose. I called Tolliver a "big" because he's 6'8". Horry was considered a big at 6'10". Bonner is also considered a big at 6'10".

No, I understand what you think Tolliver's role is going to be - what you've said sounds a LOT like Bonner's game, and look how much playing time he's had... When Horry was healthy and getting time, he would go out to the perimeter for shots sometimes, but he was also banging with his man, getting rebounds and challenging shots (both his own man and help D)... He was not leaving Duncan to outmatch 2 big men down low. If Tolliver will do that, then he will make the team, because his outside shooting gives him an edge (although according to summer league reports, Tolliver didn't do it a lot there). If he doesn't Watkins offers the team a significant body, which might be really useful in the West this year.

SenorSpur
10-01-2008, 11:38 AM
No, I understand what you think Tolliver's role is going to be - what you've said sounds a LOT like Bonner's game, and look how much playing time he's had... When Horry was healthy and getting time, he would go out to the perimeter for shots sometimes, but he was also banging with his man, getting rebounds and challenging shots (both his own man and help D)... He was not leaving Duncan to outmatch 2 big men down low. If Tolliver will do that, then he will make the team, because his outside shooting gives him an edge (although according to summer league reports, Tolliver didn't do it a lot there). If he doesn't Watkins offers the team a significant body, which might be really useful in the West this year.

Gotcha. Since Tolliver was allegedly a post player in college, he may have those skills in his tool belt. However doing in college in one thing. Doing it at the pro level, is quite the other. However I agree, if Tolliver can do that successfully at this level, he not only makes the team, but may even steal a few of Bonner's minutes.

I agree with you in that Watkins may provide some additional presence in the paint - should he make the squad.

Bonner is the one I can't seem to figure out.

pad300
10-01-2008, 11:58 AM
Gotcha. Since Tolliver was allegedly a post player in college, he may have those skills in his tool belt. However doing in college in one thing. Doing it at the pro level, is quite the other. However I agree, if Tolliver can do that successfully at this level, he not only makes the team, but may even steal a few of Bonner's minutes.

I agree with you in that Watkins may provide some additional presence in the paint - should he make the squad.

Bonner is the one I can't seem to figure out.

Bonner's on the roster for sure. 1) a $3,000,000 guaranteed contract 2) a demonstrated ability to play at the NBA level - remember both Tolliver and Watkins are Rooks 3) He still has some serious potential, remember his 25 and 17 game? ( http://www.nba.com/games/20071211/SASGSW/boxscore.html ).
This is not to say he's not trade bait if the right trade comes up...No matter how well he plays in the pre-season. It's just a question of what is the right trade? Only Pop has the answer to that question...

Sissiborgo
10-01-2008, 12:21 PM
He will be back for the Regular season...