PDA

View Full Version : Spurs sign Charles Gaines and waive Morrison

Streakyshooter08
10-01-2008, 11:20 AM
Oct.1, 2008
Spurs Sign Charles Gaines

SAN ANTONIO – The San Antonio Spurs announced today that they have signed forward Charles Gaines. Per team policy, terms of the deals were not disclosed.
The 6-9, 223-lb Gaines has spent the previous four seasons playing in Europe. Last season he played with Galatasaray Cafecrown in the Turkish TBL League. Gaines appeared in 28 games and averaged 12.9 points, 8.1 rebounds and 1.86 steals in 25.5 minutes. He also saw action in 17 ULEB Cup games, averaging 12.4 points, 7.3 rebounds and 1.12 steals in 27.3 minutes. Over his career, Gaines has made stops in Spain (DKV Jovent), France (Adecco ASVEL), Italy (Eurofiditalia Reggio Calabria) and the Continental Basketball Association (Michigan Mayhem).

At the same time the Spurs announced they have waived guard Brian Morrison.

San Antonio’s roster stands at 20.

http://www.nba.com/spurs/news/charles_gaines_signed_081001.html

Interesting. I have never heard of him...

FromWayDowntown
10-01-2008, 11:28 AM
A bad first day for Morrison, I guess.

koriwhat
10-01-2008, 11:34 AM
gaines looks promising to say the least.

pad300
10-01-2008, 11:38 AM
gaines looks promising to say the least.

The good news is he's not tiny. The bad news is that the stats aren't really impressive as they are from the Turkish league and the ULEB cup, which are a level lower than Euroleague play.

Streakyshooter08
10-01-2008, 11:40 AM
Some sites have listed him as a SF. So at 6'9 he has a good size for a wing. But I don't know if this is acurate.

I. Hustle
10-01-2008, 11:44 AM
6'9?! We Need More Point Guards!!! We Must Have All The Point Guards!!!!!

m33p0
10-01-2008, 11:46 AM
well, at least he's not small.

Bruno
10-01-2008, 12:02 PM
With Mahinmi and maybe Thomas out, another big to practice will be useful.

Gaines look like a quality signing for a training camp invite. He is in the James Gist mold.

Streakyshooter08
10-01-2008, 12:07 PM

Gaines look like a quality signing for a training camp invite. He is in the James Gist mold.

Have you seen him play? Is he a SF or PF? He seems to be a decent rebounder.

benefactor
10-01-2008, 12:08 PM
Believe it or not...he has a mixtape. He seems to move well without the ball and has good anticipation on his shot blocks. Who knows if he can shoot. As thin as we are at SF, I am willing to give him a look.

Hd0skT2WkwI

Bruno
10-01-2008, 12:12 PM
Have you seen him play? Is he a SF or PF? He seems to be a decent rebounder.

I've seen him play a couple of time some years ago when he was in France. i don't remember enough of him to give you some kind of reports.
And he is a PF.

Streakyshooter08
10-01-2008, 12:13 PM
And he is a PF.

Thanks. :tu

Indazone
10-01-2008, 12:17 PM
His rebounding looks promising

YODA
10-01-2008, 12:18 PM
Could some of the veteraNS here explain to me the contract situation. Im unclear how this is working. I thought we could only hae 15 players under contract and now we have 20? I dont undestand it. If they are waved, dont they go agaisnt their cap? SOme explanations please.

Sissiborgo
10-01-2008, 12:19 PM
A bad first day for Morrison, I guess.

Pretty right...:rolleyes

pad300
10-01-2008, 12:25 PM
Some stats on his last 2 years from Draftexpress:

http://www.draftexpress.com/stats.php?sid=20090

He is clearly a perimeter player, having not launched approximately one 3 pt shot in his last 31 ULEB cup games...

platenuts
10-01-2008, 12:30 PM
I doubt in this league he will be catching so many open oops like that. He looks promising, only time will tell.

Bruno
10-01-2008, 12:32 PM
Right now, I give Gaines the edge over Tolliver and Watkins to make the team.
He was a quality player in Europe and he fills a big need for Spurs as PF who can defend quick PFs (like Odom or Dirk). It is a very interesting signing...

Allanon
10-01-2008, 12:38 PM
He was a quality player in Europe and he fills a big need for Spurs as PF who can defend quick PFs (like Odom or Dirk). It is a very interesting signing...

I think in Europe he can play PF but in the NBA, he's a long 3/Small Forward. The interesting thing about Gaines is that he's an NBA Small Forward but he plays like a Center. Almost everything he does is around the rim. He's above average as a defender but may be a liability on offense as a SF who can't shoot midrange shots.

He looks to be one of the better prospects.

10-01-2008, 12:51 PM
Some stats on his last 2 years from Draftexpress:

http://www.draftexpress.com/stats.php?sid=20090

He is clearly a perimeter player, having not launched approximately one 3 pt shot in his last 31 ULEB cup games...

looking at his stats, he is clearly not a shooter, having shot 64 and 49% at the free throw line and not even taking any threes. he won't be a SF but he can be a high energy PF that the spurs need. if the spurs wanted someone like gaines, why didn't they just keep gist?

SenorSpur
10-01-2008, 12:56 PM

Even if Gaines makes the squad, he's simply keep the seat warm until Gist arrives next season. :lol

pad300
10-01-2008, 01:02 PM
looking at his stats, he is clearly not a shooter, having shot 64 and 49% at the free throw line and not even taking any threes. he won't be a SF but he can be a high energy PF that the spurs need. if the spurs wanted someone like gaines, why didn't they just keep gist?

Sorry, I dropped a "not"...

He is clearly not a perimeter player, ...

SenorSpur
10-01-2008, 01:09 PM

Yeah, I figured as much from watching the short video provided by Benefactor (thanks for that too). I didn't one sequence where he shot the ball from beyond 6-7 ft.

However, I say bring him on. Let's take a look.

Penya
10-01-2008, 01:34 PM

He is NOT a perimeter player.

He played in Spain a couple of years ago and didn't make sense, just a few games with 12 or more rebounds. Not a great scorer, but a good defender.

BTW, he hasn't NBA level.

hoopdreams11
10-01-2008, 05:54 PM
His game reminds me a little of Kenyon Martin's

timvp
10-01-2008, 05:57 PM
He was a quality player in Europe and he fills a big need for Spurs as PF who can defend quick PFs (like Odom or Dirk). It is a very interesting signing...I'll have to disagree with that assessment. The only reason he made training camp was due to the injuries to Mahinmi and Thomas. If they were healthy, the Spurs wouldn't have even brought him in.

Unless there is some situation where he was just released from a European team or something, Gaines is just training camp fodder. If he was just sitting around with no European contract and no NBA training camp invite, I'll disagree with your analysis that he's the second coming. Just like I disagreed that bringing in Morrison was a sign the Spurs thought Hill and Stoudamire were shooting guards . . .

Bruno
10-01-2008, 06:21 PM
The only reason he made training camp was due to the injuries to Mahinmi and Thomas. If they were healthy, the Spurs wouldn't have even brought him in.

Have I said the opposite ?
The first thing I've pointed was Thomas and Mahinmi injuries.
And a couple of years ago, Blazers have signed Udoka for the training camp only because he was a local guy. He end up starting for them.

Unless there is some situation where he was just released from a European team or something, Gaines is just training camp fodder.

Gaines has been a good player in Europe for years. I find it very surprising that he was still available that late in the season. IMO, he was either injured or he didn't want to go back in Europe for some family reasons.

I'll disagree with your analysis that he's the second coming.

Nice exaggeration, I just say that he is better than Tolliver or Watkins.

timvp
10-01-2008, 06:28 PM
Nice exaggeration, I just say that he is better than Tolliver or Watkins.

I'll be sure to bump this when Gaines gets waived once Thomas is healthy.

:hat

Bruno
10-01-2008, 06:41 PM
I'll be sure to bump this when Gaines gets waived once Thomas is healthy.

:hat

If he came back from an injury, it could happens. If he is 100% healthy, I doubt it.

ChumpDumper
10-01-2008, 07:03 PM
He was a quality player in Europe and he fills a big need for Spurs as PF who can defend quick PFs (like Odom or Dirk). It is a very interesting signing...I would give Gaines the edge over Watkins because Gaines can play basketball, but not Tolliver -- especially if Tolliver keeps shooting well.

T Park
10-01-2008, 07:04 PM
Am i wrong in assuming all Tolliver can do is shoot the basketball?

jbspurs
10-01-2008, 08:06 PM
Smart player, knows how to read defense.

SenorSpur
10-01-2008, 09:19 PM
Am i wrong in assuming all Tolliver can do is shoot the basketball?

I read his draft analysis. It seems he was a low post player in college - if you can believe that. I would guess he's still got those skills, which may work against a smaller opponent.

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Anthony-Tolliver-1279/

Can't wait to see how he fares.

Kill_Bill_Pana
10-01-2008, 09:30 PM
The good news is he's not tiny. The bad news is that the stats aren't really impressive as they are from the Turkish league and the ULEB cup, which are a level lower than Euroleague play.

Turkish League is not one of elite leagues like Spain, Italy, Russia, Greece but is in the group of next best leagues like Turkey, Adriatic and the Baltic one. But yes those stats is not so good for Turkey League.

But actual those stats is pretty good for the ULEB Cup. NBA fan must understand stats is much different in Europe as I try explain many time. Even though ULEB Cup is below Euroleague level those is still good stats there because game is play much different in Europe. In some league like Italian league stats is more like NBA but in most leagues stats is much different because of how game is play.

League leader in ULEB Cup last year in points is 20.6 and league leader in rebounds is 9.1. NBA fans is never understand this they think American players is "dominate" and average 35 point and 20 rebound over there and other crazy things.

12 point and 7 rebound average is much better stat in Europe where is much less possession in offense and much less rebound available than it look in NBA. NBA fans is keep brag about Rudy Fernandez is "superstar" and is "best Europe player" and "next Manu" - he average 15.2 points in ULEB Cup last year and play in team that is same pace of game as old Suns team.

Ice009
10-01-2008, 09:30 PM
If he is a guy that can play good defense and guard players like Dirk, David West then he could really be an interesting player. That's the main point I am interested in - How his defense is against mobile big men? I don't care too much about his offense at this point.

tomtom
10-02-2008, 01:17 AM
Looks pretty decent. I say give him a shot. We need a guy that can move like him.

Manufan909
10-02-2008, 01:23 AM
I like what I saw in the mixtape, I'd rather have a fearless 6-9 player, than Fab who plays "smart", but with fear. KT, Fab, and Finley need to be 12-14 on the roster after the allstar break.

timtonymanu
10-02-2008, 01:26 AM
just watched the mixtape. it's worth giving him a shot. hopefully he's not just gonna turn out to be a training camp invitee.

Biggems
10-02-2008, 01:32 AM
once i saw the first alleyoop, i knew he was not for us.....the spurs dont alleyoop, lob, or dunk. we are boring remember........no highlight reels in San Antonio.........

mountainballer
10-02-2008, 04:46 AM
for whatever reason it's been ignored by the report that Gaines played a full Euroleague season with DKV. (2006-07)
he wasn't outstanding back then, but clearly a quality impact player at the highest level of basketball in Europe. tough, great energy, good intensity on defense, quick hands.
he played 20 games (16 starts) and averaged 10.3 PPG and 6.3 RPG in 25 MPG.
in the same season he also played the full ACB season in Spain with a decent DKV team. (Rudy had his break out season, DKV finished the regular season 4th in Spain and made it to the semi finals.) he averaged 11.0 PPG and 7.8 RPG in 25.7 MPG.
I think this numbers are better suited to display his potential than Turkish league or ULEB cup.

however, I can't tell why he didn't get a contract in Europe, for sure it wasn't a quality question, maybe more of a salary question.
(he switched teams every year, usually an indicator for a player, who just goes for the best bid). maybe he just gambles and wait till a top Euro team gets desperate because of injuries or bad play from their foreign players. we always see some significant roster changes in November and December in Europe and there are always some players just waiting to jump on a team for a good (because desperate) offer.
but maybe he just wants a shot to get a spot in the NBA.
(he's from Houston, maybe he wants to be close to home and that's why he comes to the Spurs camp)

btw. I think 6'9'' is for sure a bit exaggerated. he was always listed between 201cm and 203cm in Europe and just from comparing to other players I also would guess he's somewhere between 6'7'' and 6'8''.
someone compared his game to K-Mart. that's not a bad comparison I guess.
and yes, IMO he's absolutely not a SF and also not a combo forward (like Gist). pure PF.

Obstructed_View
10-02-2008, 05:35 AM
The youtube vid shows him sitting on the bench with 10 points, 4 steals and 4 fouls. If he can't keep the opponent out of the bonus and himself off the bench then he's not much help.

He physically looks like KMart, but that's about it.

mountainballer
10-02-2008, 06:12 AM
The youtube vid shows him sitting on the bench with 10 points, 4 steals and 4 fouls. If he can't keep the opponent out of the bonus and himself off the bench then he's not much help.

He physically looks like KMart, but that's about it.

huh? none tried to to use this comparison to describe the quality of his game, but to give an idea about the style of his game.
if K-Mart was such an absurd idea, I'm very curious who you have in mind to compare his game to.
and btw. you use a single number on a single youtube video to judge his abilities to defend without fouls? wow, that's confidence.
btw. he wasn't a foul machine in Europe. in fact he usually managed to stay out of foul troubles pretty well.

Kill_Bill_Pana
10-02-2008, 06:16 AM
for whatever reason it's been ignored by the report that Gaines played a full Euroleague season with DKV. (2006-07)
he wasn't outstanding back then, but clearly a quality impact player at the highest level of basketball in Europe. tough, great energy, good intensity on defense, quick hands.
he played 20 games (16 starts) and averaged 10.3 PPG and 6.3 RPG in 25 MPG.
in the same season he also played the full ACB season in Spain with a decent DKV team. (Rudy had his break out season, DKV finished the regular season 4th in Spain and made it to the semi finals.) he averaged 11.0 PPG and 7.8 RPG in 25.7 MPG.
I think this numbers are better suited to display his potential than Turkish league or ULEB cup.

however, I can't tell why he didn't get a contract in Europe, for sure it wasn't a quality question, maybe more of a salary question.
(he switched teams every year, usually an indicator for a player, who just goes for the best bid). maybe he just gambles and wait till a top Euro team gets desperate because of injuries or bad play from their foreign players. we always see some significant roster changes in November and December in Europe and there are always some players just waiting to jump on a team for a good (because desperate) offer.
but maybe he just wants a shot to get a spot in the NBA.
(he's from Houston, maybe he wants to be close to home and that's why he comes to the Spurs camp)

btw. I think 6'9'' is for sure a bit exaggerated. he was always listed between 201cm and 203cm in Europe and just from comparing to other players I also would guess he's somewhere between 6'7'' and 6'8''.
and yes, IMO he's absolutely not a SF and also not a combo forward (like Gist). pure PF.

DKV numbers is in fastest pace in Europe.

mountainballer
10-02-2008, 06:35 AM
DKV numbers is in fastest pace in Europe.

so what?!??

Kill_Bill_Pana
10-02-2008, 07:22 AM
so what?!??

So ULEB Cup numbers is better ones to look at.

Trust me. Like Rudy average 15.2 points with them last year in ULEB Cup but in team like CSKA or PAO it will be like 10-12 points. DKV is very pace team and very much below top levels of big clubs.

I think is better look at how he do in ULEB Cup with Turkish club than with DKV in Euroleague.

mountainballer
10-02-2008, 08:06 AM
pace adjustment changes numbers slightly, but not enough to claim some numbers are just a result of a teams pace.
even if you take the fastest team in a league and compare it to the average, the difference will be about +5%. same of course in the other direction either.

ULEB cup numbers don't tell much, because the level of competition in the regular season is between weak and joke.
hell, even the Austrian champ made it to the top 16 last year. that's not exactly a proof for a high level of competition. believe me, I know what I'm talking about.

most of the better domestic leagues in Europe play a higher level of competition than the regular season of the former ULEB cup.
the competition might get pretty good from the quarter finals. but that about it. even the winner will have played only 5-8 tough games.
that's a huge difference to the Euroleague regular season. there are also some weaker teams in, but the gap from the best to the worst team in Euroleague is a fractional amount to the gap from the better Eurocup teams to the bad teams. that's like good divison I teams to bad division III teams in the NCA.

MoSpur
10-02-2008, 08:49 AM
We need someone quick to gaurd the likes of Odom, West, and so on

Obstructed_View
10-02-2008, 08:56 AM
huh? none tried to to use this comparison to describe the quality of his game, but to give an idea about the style of his game.
if K-Mart was such an absurd idea, I'm very curious who you have in mind to compare his game to.
Hmm. Not sure where you saw the word "absurd", but since you took issue...

I noticed the physical resemblence to Martin, and that he carries himself the same way, but barring the fact that he can dunk, I'm not sure how his style is the same. Martin at that age could jump out of the building, was an incredible shot blocker and could actually create his own shot. He looks much shorter than Martin, too, but you did mention that. It takes more than stalking around with tattoos on your arms to merit a comparison to a guy who at that age was the best college basketball player in the country.

and btw. you use a single number on a single youtube video to judge his abilities to defend without fouls? wow, that's confidence.
btw. he wasn't a foul machine in Europe. in fact he usually managed to stay out of foul troubles pretty well.
btw. I haven't judged anything, that part of the video reminded me that he's going to have to figure out how not to foul if he's going to make an NBA roster. It was the part of the vid that inspired an observation. Thought I'd share it. Staying out of foul trouble "pretty well" in Europe most likely means he's going to have a hard time adjusting to NBA players. Mahinmi has trouble with it, Gaines probably will too. I'm not sure why you'd take issue with it.

mountainballer
10-02-2008, 09:28 AM
Hmm. Not sure where you saw the word "absurd", but since you took issue...

I noticed the physical resemblence to Martin, and that he carries himself the same way, but barring the fact that he can dunk, I'm not sure how his style is the same. Martin at that age could jump out of the building, was an incredible shot blocker and could actually create his own shot. He looks much shorter than Martin, too, but you did mention that. It takes more than stalking around with tattoos on your arms to merit a comparison to a guy who at that age was the best college basketball player in the country.

btw. I haven't judged anything, that part of the video reminded me that he's going to have to figure out how not to foul if he's going to make an NBA roster. It was the part of the vid that inspired an observation. Thought I'd share it. Staying out of foul trouble "pretty well" in Europe most likely means he's going to have a hard time adjusting to NBA players. Mahinmi has trouble with it, Gaines probably will too. I'm not sure why you'd take issue with it.

peace.
again, it was not me to compare him to K-Mart, it was another poster and I thought that this isn't a bad picture. call him poor man's K-Mart.
we are talking about a possible 3rd stringer, 10 MPG guy on our roster anyhow.
Gaines was a decent player in Europe. that's about it. spectacular dunker, but can also put the ball on the floor and has some nice moves. can't say if enough to ever play a role in the NBA. but I think he has a good chance to outplay either Tolliver and Watkins at the camp. if in fact KT will also be a question mark and Ian is out for some weeks, he might be the better solution to provide help in the first months of the season than the other two. based on his higher level of experience.
btw. Ian was a foul machine in the Euroleague either.

wisnub
10-02-2008, 12:18 PM
Judging from his size 6.9 and thin and a good sense of blocking shot..what i see is a BRUCE BOWEN'S HEIR... watch out Udoka!!! You just got yourself a competitor!!! I wouldnt surprise if this guy start receiving crazy dose of 3 points training from coach Chip

Solid D
10-02-2008, 12:27 PM
Spurs basically have 7 players vying for a 14th and 15th roster slot, (Stoudamire, Tolliver, Farmer, Hairston, Green, Gaines, and Watkins) with a post player and a wing being the positions of greatest need.

tav1
10-02-2008, 02:16 PM
Spurs basically have 7 players vying for a 14th and 15th roster slot, (Stoudamire, Tolliver, Farmer, Hairston, Green, Gaines, and Watkins) with a post player and a wing being the positions of greatest need.

Unless they clear a roster spot.

DPG21920
10-02-2008, 02:27 PM

Exactly. This is what I have been trying to say. The 13 man roster (12 man season and one IR spot) is essentially set unless something very crazy happens.

KT/Oberto
Duncan/Bonner/Ian
Bruce/Ime
Manu/Mason/Finley
Parker/Hill

Vaughn, ?, ?

ChumpDumper
10-02-2008, 02:35 PM
Spurs basically have 7 players vying for a 14th and 15th roster slot, (Stoudamire, Tolliver, Farmer, Hairston, Green, Gaines, and Watkins) with a post player and a wing being the positions of greatest need.I have a hunch Tolliver is all but on the final 15. I'd say the final spot would go to either Salim or Farmer, unless Green or Hairston make some kind of wild improvement during camp.

Solid D
10-02-2008, 02:54 PM
Gaines looks like one of those tough coyotes that comes out of the pack with the meat the others are fighting for. He's been around the hardwood a while and taken a few coins to the head from passionate Spaniards.

I agree, Chump, that Tolliver should be one if he shoots like he did in SL. Matt Bonner is mos' def on the hot seat.

Ice009
10-02-2008, 03:56 PM
I have a hunch Tolliver is all but on the final 15. I'd say the final spot would go to either Salim or Farmer, unless Green or Hairston make some kind of wild improvement during camp.

I think you're pretty spot on. I have heard good things about Farmer. What do you think of him?

Maybe both Stoudamire and Farmer make the cut if someone else is moved or released.

ChumpDumper
10-02-2008, 04:10 PM
I think you're pretty spot on. I have heard good things about Farmer. What do you think of him?I saw him play in Austin and McAllen for the Vipers. He was carrying the team most of the time after CJ Watson left. The Toros completely shut him down one game but he kept coming back; I think he impressed with his toughness in that respect. He also did a fair amount of point guard duty late in the season due to multiple injuries on his team, so he has the ability to bring up the ball that the Spurs like in their guards.

He was a pretty steady scorer in the D-League, but every once in awhile he just got unconscious and poured in buckets and got to the line no matter what the opposing team did. I think he might be a more versatile scorer than Salim, but it remains to be seen if he can do it at the NBA level.

angelbelow
10-02-2008, 07:39 PM
morrison blows good thing he got wavied.

T Park
10-02-2008, 07:47 PM
Seems like too many talented young guys not enough roster spots.

I don't really wanna give up on hairston yet either.

benefactor
10-02-2008, 08:32 PM
Seems like too many talented young guys not enough roster spots.

I don't really wanna give up on hairston yet either.
Yeah...me too. But with a pedestrian performance in the summer league he is really going to have to shine at camp and in the preseason to get a roster spot. If he does I am betting he is only a garbage time player.

intlspurshk
10-02-2008, 08:40 PM
Stoudamire and Farmer and Watkin (Spurs need a center with blocking abilities).
Bonner and JV, either one should be out.

Solid D
10-02-2008, 08:55 PM
Stoudamire and Farmer and Watkin (Spurs need a center with blocking abilities).
Bonner and JV, either one should be out.

Watkins: Can Watkins hustle up and down the court quickly enough for Pop? Not sure, there.

Stoudamire: I do not see Stoudamire beating out JV. I do think Hill will supplant Vaughn as the #2 PG during the season.

Farmer: Manu's energy scoring must be replaced in the first segment of the season. The Spurs need offensive bullets in their gun. If he can play even half-way decent defense and he does what he is asked to do, he definitely has a place on this team.

Bonner: hot seat

Ice009
10-02-2008, 10:37 PM
Watkins: Can Watkins hustle up and down the court quickly enough for Pop? Not sure, there.

Stoudamire: I do not see Stoudamire beating out JV. I do think Hill will supplant Vaughn as the #2 PG during the season.

Farmer: Manu's energy scoring must be replaced in the first segment of the season. The Spurs need offensive bullets in their gun. If he can play even half-way decent defense and he does what he is asked to do, he definitely has a place on this team.

Bonner: hot seat

I like your take Solid D especially about Farmer. From the sounds of it Farmer is a better prospect that Hairston. I think Hairston is going to have to freaking play like a beast to make it on this team after his summer league.

And T Park I agree with you 100% too many talented guys not enough roster spots. This to me looks like the best talent we've brought into training camp in years. I'm actually freaking excited about preseason this year with all the talent the Spurs have brought in trying to make the team. Should be awesome!

btw thanks for the scouting report on Farmer Chumpdumper. Do you think he's good enough to make the team if he plays up to his abilities within the Spurs system?

Kill_Bill_Pana
10-02-2008, 11:33 PM
pace adjustment changes numbers slightly, but not enough to claim some numbers are just a result of a teams pace.
even if you take the fastest team in a league and compare it to the average, the difference will be about +5%. same of course in the other direction either.

ULEB cup numbers don't tell much, because the level of competition in the regular season is between weak and joke.
hell, even the Austrian champ made it to the top 16 last year. that's not exactly a proof for a high level of competition. believe me, I know what I'm talking about.

most of the better domestic leagues in Europe play a higher level of competition than the regular season of the former ULEB cup.
the competition might get pretty good from the quarter finals. but that about it. even the winner will have played only 5-8 tough games.
that's a huge difference to the Euroleague regular season. there are also some weaker teams in, but the gap from the best to the worst team in Euroleague is a fractional amount to the gap from the better Eurocup teams to the bad teams. that's like good divison I teams to bad division III teams in the NCA.

This is two different issue. You need pay attention better. I am try explain in team like CSKA or PAO he will not even play more then 5-10 minute and in truth he will not even make club.

Kill_Bill_Pana
10-02-2008, 11:36 PM
Judging from his size 6.9 and thin and a good sense of blocking shot..what i see is a BRUCE BOWEN'S HEIR... watch out Udoka!!! You just got yourself a competitor!!! I wouldnt surprise if this guy start receiving crazy dose of 3 points training from coach Chip

I think he is more like 2.03 m than 2.06 m. So maybe 6-8 and not the 6-9. He is no more bigger than 2.02 or 2.03 players.

ChumpDumper
10-02-2008, 11:38 PM
The knock on Farmer is doesn't have the rep of being a team player. It worked out fine for him on the Vipers because most of the time there were no other real scorers and he was far and away the best player on the team. I was particularly impressed by his three point shooting on a team that had no reliable post presence. As far as D-League free agents go, he's pretty much the best available.

The thing about Hairston is I think he is talented enough that he could probably perform at pretty close to the same level in the D-League in the same situation. It could take time though. Farmer is about to turn 27 and played for next to nothing in the D_League for three years, so I'm assuming this is the last time he's going to give the NBA a try before getting some long term security overseas. He has certainly paid his dues, so I'm glad he has been given a shot. I hope he gives his best effort.

Kill_Bill_Pana
10-02-2008, 11:39 PM
Gaines looks like one of those tough coyotes that comes out of the pack with the meat the others are fighting for. He's been around the hardwood a while and taken a few coins to the head from passionate Spaniards.

I agree, Chump, that Tolliver should be one if he shoots like he did in SL. Matt Bonner is mos' def on the hot seat.

Can some fan explain why Spurs give Bonner $9 million and refuse give it to Scola? I have never see this explain in way that make sense.

ducks
10-02-2008, 11:50 PM
Can some fan explain why Spurs give Bonner $9 million and refuse give it to Scola? I have never see this explain in way that make sense.

because scola would not sign with the spurs
scola also plays at the same spot as duncan
Duncan>scola

booner shots three's scola does not

ChumpDumper
10-02-2008, 11:59 PM
Can some fan explain why Spurs give Bonner $9 million and refuse give it to Scola? I have never see this explain in way that make sense.Had to trade Scola's rights to get rid of Jackie Butler's salary.

Ice009
10-03-2008, 12:58 AM
The knock on Farmer is doesn't have the rep of being a team player. It worked out fine for him on the Vipers because most of the time there were no other real scorers and he was far and away the best player on the team. I was particularly impressed by his three point shooting on a team that had no reliable post presence. As far as D-League free agents goes, he's pretty much the best available.

The thing about Hairston is I think he is talented enough that he could probably perform at pretty close to the same level in the D-League in the same situation. It could take time though. Farmer is about to turn 27 and played for next to nothing in the D_League for three years, so I'm assuming this is the last time he's going to give the NBA a try before getting some long term security overseas. He has certainly paid his dues, so I'm glad he has been given a shot. I hope he gives his best effort.

Good info thanks. He needs to go all out and play a team game. If he can do that then I think he has a chance to make the team since he seems to have the skills.

mrspurs
10-03-2008, 08:28 AM
No surprise there.

Spurs Brazil
10-03-2008, 02:59 PM
Any chance for Green?

intlspurshk
10-03-2008, 07:03 PM
No chance for Green (he has no special skills?)
Hairston is not ready.
If Bonner can't beat Tolliver with 2 years experience with SPURS, he should leave NBA. It's not that I don't like Tolliver. But I think Pop will choose Bonner no matter what happen for his corporate knowledge, I am afraid. But anyway, either one stay, not both.
I like Stoudmaire and Farmer. This team can take another Stephen Jackson as the wild cards who turn around the games sometimes. SPURS don't have these players for a long time since SJ departed.
Timmy need helps and team needs length. Hope Watkin stays.

But when was the last time a training camp invitee stay? and there should be 1 seat to serve the music chair for Toros. I hope at least 1 or 2 invitees stay but it doesn't look too good.

Solid D
10-03-2008, 07:32 PM

Scola's buyout with Tau was 8 figures (left of the decimal) most of the time until last season. I cannot explain why the Spurs traded Scola's rights last summer so don't remind me, thank you very much.