PDA

View Full Version : Senate proposal for bailout contains a crapload of pork

Aggie Hoopsfan
10-01-2008, 12:51 PM
http://www.statesboro.biz/News/202/Included-in-the-Revised-Bailout-Bill-Wool-Research-Wooden-Arrows-for-Children-Race-Tracks-Rum.aspx

New Tax earmarks in Bailout bill

- Film and Television Productions (Sec. 502)
- Wooden Arrows designed for use by children (Sec. 503)
- 6 page package of earmarks for litigants in the 1989 Exxon Valdez incident, Alaska (Sec. 504)

Tax earmark “extenders” in the bailout bill

- Virgin Island and Puerto Rican Rum (Section 308)
- American Samoa (Sec. 309)
- Mine Rescue Teams (Sec. 310)
- Mine Safety Equipment (Sec. 311)
- Domestic Production Activities in Puerto Rico (Sec. 312)
- Indian Tribes (Sec. 314, 315)
- Railroads (Sec. 316)
- Auto Racing Tracks (317)
- District of Columbia (Sec. 322)
- Wool Research (Sec. 325)

:td :td :td

Fuck all of the Senate. Every last piece of trash that votes for this (and yes, that will include either of McCain or Obama if they vote for this thing, though I bet Obama will vote 'present').

Aggie Hoopsfan
10-01-2008, 01:19 PM
Time to call our senators again.

This is just comical. It didn't pass the House, so clearly the solution to a bad bill is to add more shit to it. This thing has gone from a 102 page bill in the House to over 400 pages in the Senate (laden with pork).

:td

Aggie Hoopsfan
10-01-2008, 01:22 PM
Call (Texans):

Kay Bailey Hutchison's number is 202-224-5922 and John Cornyn's is 202-224-2934.

Hutchinson's email form:

http://www.senate.gov/~hutchison/contact.cfm

Cornyn's:

http://cornyn.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?FuseAction=Contact.ContactForm

Extra Stout
10-01-2008, 01:29 PM
I want a violent revolution complete with guillotines.

dimsah
10-01-2008, 01:30 PM
Wool research?

Anti.Hero
10-01-2008, 01:31 PM
If those republicans who voted NO against the first wave, then vote YES to this...what will that say about them LOL

BacktoBasics
10-01-2008, 01:32 PM
Pork is good

Sincerely,

All Jews on Holiday

Aggie Hoopsfan
10-01-2008, 01:34 PM
If those republicans who voted NO against the first wave, then vote YES to this...what will that say about them LOL

Well, this is the Senate bill vs. the other being the House of Reps bill. They'll have to meet in the middle somewhere if both houses of Congress pass different legislation.

But this is bullshit. All these earmarks are in the bill for is to buy votes from certain Senators.

I'm all for the guillotine at this point for these assholes, only if I get to pull the rope at least once.

BacktoBasics
10-01-2008, 01:36 PM
Fear mongering has taken over. Doesn't matter if the bill is worse or better it has to pass

101A
10-01-2008, 02:07 PM

No.

Fucking.

Shit.

boutons_
10-01-2008, 02:10 PM
Fear-mongering is how dubya falsely got his Iraq-invasion-for-oil

Fear-mongering is how dubya is falsely trying to get his Repug bankers bailed out.

Shastafarian
10-01-2008, 02:11 PM
Since this bill had a lot of pork barrel spending, can McCain still be considered a maverick if he votes for it?

boutons_
10-01-2008, 02:12 PM
Through repeated lying and gross incompetence, the Repug govt has ZERO credibility.

vote Paulsen's robbery down, and get to serious work on different alternatives. There are tons of cheaper ideas around.

101A
10-01-2008, 02:18 PM
Since this bill had a lot of pork barrel spending, can McCain still be considered a maverick if he votes for it?

If McCain votes for this; I won't vote for McCain.

Tully365
10-01-2008, 04:27 PM
Adding pork to a bill that's supposedly designed to prevent the economy of the richest country on earth from collapsing is the absolute epitome of cynicism and arrogance.

KenMcCoy
10-01-2008, 05:00 PM
If McCain votes for this; I won't vote for McCain.

+1

Shastafarian
10-01-2008, 05:02 PM
All signs point to him voting for it. Are you guys serious in that he's gonna lose your vote? I guess it doesn't matter if you're in Texas.

Anti.Hero
10-01-2008, 05:03 PM
With each permutation, the bill has steadily grown in size. Treasury’s initial plan was about three pages long. The House version, which failed, stretched to 110. The Senate substitute now runs over 450 pages. And tucked away in the tax provisions is a landmark health care provision demanding that insurance companies provide coverage for mental health treatment—such as hospitalization—on parity with physical illnesses.

Really a bill onto itself, the mental health parity measure has been a bipartisan priority for top lawmakers in both chambers but has stalled because of disagreements again over how to pay for its estimated $3.8 billion five-year cost. In the current climate, that seems to be no longer a stumbling block, and if the Treasury plan becomes law, it will also.

Senate leaders are confident that they can prevail, but the strategy is not without risks in the House given the added costs of the tax package. Congressional Budget Office estimates indicate that the net impact will be to add almost $105 billion to an already large deficit next year, and fiscal conservatives will feel they are being straight-armed by the Senate which has refused to do more to offset the costs.

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1008/14161.html

cool hand
10-01-2008, 05:05 PM
John Mccain is voting for an earmark......God no don't do it. fucking loser.

MannyIsGod
10-01-2008, 05:53 PM
ES owned you all and I'm not sure any of you realize it.

cool hand
10-01-2008, 06:31 PM

I think its coming.......you notice how even Bill Clinton was pining for the bailout, too.........these guys are all on the take.

romad_20
10-01-2008, 06:58 PM
Kay Bailey is ranting about voting for it on the Senate floor right now. On Lou Dobbs a reporter who talked to Cornyn, said he was still getting 100-1 against it from people and he's up for re-election.

McCain and Obama are voting for this crap. Doesn't matter to me, I decided to write in Ron Paul two weeks ago. I'm done with this crap. Wake me up when the revolution starts.

Aggie Hoopsfan
10-01-2008, 07:14 PM
Fear-mongering is how dubya falsely got his Iraq-invasion-for-oil

Fear-mongering is how dubya and the Dems are falsely trying to get their Wall Street buddies bailed out

fify.

boutons post on this thread are hilarious. The Dems are driving this mess hand in hand with BushCo.

PixelPusher
10-01-2008, 07:54 PM
Aside from importance of the actual bill itself, how does the added pork make it different from any other bill?

Aggie Hoopsfan
10-01-2008, 08:19 PM
Aside from importance of the actual bill itself, how does the added pork make it different from any other bill?

It doesn't. But it typifies why we're in this mess to begin with.

It was a bad bill when the House voted it down, so obviously the solution is to add a bunch of bribes (pork) to get the votes. Fuck Congress.

PixelPusher
10-01-2008, 08:21 PM
It doesn't. But it typifies why we're in this mess to begin with.

It was a bad bill when the House voted it down, so obviously the solution is to add a bunch of bribes (pork) to get the votes. Fuck Congress.

Except for my guys, of course. Everyone else sucks ass, but my guys are GREAT!

sincerely,

America.