PDA

View Full Version : Robert Downey, Jr. + Guy Ritchie = Big Bucks

desflood
10-01-2008, 01:45 PM
Downey to play Sherlock Holmes as studio eyes series By Mike Collett-White
45 minutes ago

LONDON (Reuters) - Robert Downey Jr. is to play Victorian super sleuth Sherlock Holmes in an upcoming blockbuster that studio Warner Bros. hopes will become a lucrative new franchise.

The 43-year-old said one reason he was chosen for the role may have been his involvement in action movie "Iron Man," which earned over $570 million in global ticket sales this year, and he promised his Holmes would be the best screen portrayal ever.

"In case you aren't aware I had a hell of a summer, and it's made me much more viable to play a lead role than I might have (been) in the past," Downey Jr. told reporters in London, where shooting on "Sherlock Holmes" is about to begin.

When asked what he could bring to a character portrayed countless times on film and television, he joked: "Clearly I'm going to do it better than it's ever been done.

"The more I read about it the more overwhelmed I was by the weight of it and the amount of people who will be watching to see if it's gotten right."

Director Guy Ritchie said "Sherlock Holmes" was his biggest movie "by a long shot" in terms of budget.

Producer Joel Silver would not name the figure, but he called the budget "healthy" and said plans had not been affected by recent turmoil on the financial markets.

"What we've done is hopefully launched a franchise of Sherlock Holmes stories," he said.

Warner Bros. may be hoping the series can replace Harry Potter, which has three films left to go and could end in 2011. The franchise based on J.K. Rowling's boy wizard tales has grossed $4.5 billion at worldwide box offices so far.

nsrammstein
10-01-2008, 01:51 PM
Robert Downey Jr's comeback as an actor is fucking amazing, I love him my new favorite actor!!

BacktoBasics
10-01-2008, 01:55 PM
Its going to deliver. This should be good. They've already named Watson but it eludes me right now.

ATRAIN
10-01-2008, 02:01 PM
Those Hollywood comebacks are pretty cool. First Jude Law, then Johnny Depp, now Downey JR. I wonder who is next.

monosylab1k
10-01-2008, 02:08 PM
Those Hollywood comebacks are pretty cool. First Jude Law, then Johnny Depp, now Downey JR. I wonder who is next.

When did Jude Law & Johnny Depp ever fall off to the point where they needed a comeback?

And this might be cool if Guy Ritchie wasn't directing it.

This whole idea has fail written all over it, but I'm sure they will all be huge hits. The only question is if these movies will lick more or less balls than the Pirates franchise.

JoeChalupa
10-01-2008, 02:11 PM
I've always liked RD,jr's work. Great actor indeed.

JoeChalupa
10-01-2008, 02:12 PM
When did Jude Law & Johnny Depp ever fall off to the point where they needed a comeback?

This whole idea has fail written all over it, but I'm sure they will all be huge hits. The only question is if these movies will lick more or less balls than the Pirates franchise.

I concur. Law and Depp don't need no comeback. Oh, the Pirates franchise rocks!!

monosylab1k
10-01-2008, 02:13 PM
:lmao there's 2 different Sherlock Holmes movies coming out the same year. This one with RDJ/Jude Law and Guy Ritchie, then another with Borat & Will Ferrell.

It's Deep Impact vs. Armageddon all over again!

desflood
10-01-2008, 02:15 PM
then another with Borat & Will Ferrell.
Tell me that's going to be a comedy...

Blake
10-01-2008, 02:28 PM
I think Depp would have made the better Sherlock Holmes, but Downey sounds good....

I'll definitely go see it.

JoeChalupa
10-01-2008, 02:35 PM
I think Depp would have made the better Sherlock Holmes, but Downey sounds good....

I'll definitely go see it.

I think Downey has more of the Holmes look but Depp would also do a great job.

Blake
10-01-2008, 02:41 PM
I think Downey has more of the Holmes look but Depp would also do a great job.

I'm not thinking about Pirates version of Depp.......i was thinking more along the lines of that movie he was in....(aww....whats it called...6th Circle?.)...where he hooked up with devil...

ATRAIN
10-01-2008, 02:43 PM

Law wasnt really in any major roles until after Cold Mountain, then he was all over in 2004.

Depp - Edward Scissor hands in 90 then What's eating Gilbert Grape was in 93, then Fear and Loathing in 98 were the only things worth a damn till 01 when he did Blow, then Pirates in 03. I bet if you ask him his career took off after Pirates because I doubt Don Juan and Donnie Brasco did wonders for his career. Oh yeah and lets not forget From Hell , Sleepy Hollow and the Astronauts Wife.

ATRAIN
10-01-2008, 02:50 PM
Speaking of Depp there is a Rumor of him being Barnabas Collins in a Tim Burton Movie based on the TV show Dark Shadows!!

I used to love that show as a kid, the original (saw them on VHS since I wasnt born during the original airing)and the remake.

Anti.Hero
10-01-2008, 02:51 PM
Just stay semi-clean enough for the Avengers movie.

JoeChalupa
10-01-2008, 02:54 PM
Speaking of Depp there is a Rumor of him being Barnabas Collins in a Tim Burton Movie based on the TV show Dark Shadows!!

I used to love that show as a kid, the original (saw them on VHS since I wasnt born during the original airing)and the remake.

I watched Dark Shadows too. Barnabas was the shit.

ATRAIN
10-01-2008, 02:57 PM
I watched Dark Shadows too. Barnabas was the shit.

Which did you like the original or the 80's remake (or was it 90's)? The newer ones were bad ass even though they canceled after a few seasons!! I went back to the original to see what the hell happened when whats her name came back from the past (where she saw Barnabas as a vampire) and then woke up present day freaked out and then looked at Barnabas and he knew she knew. Fuck I even forgot what happened now.

Blake
10-01-2008, 03:04 PM
Just stay semi-clean enough for the Avengers movie.

if it ever really happens.....

JoeChalupa
10-01-2008, 03:10 PM
Which did you like the original or the 80's remake (or was it 90's)? The newer ones were bad ass even though they canceled after a few seasons!! I went back to the original to see what the hell happened when whats her name came back from the past (where she saw Barnabas as a vampire) and then woke up present day freaked out and then looked at Barnabas and he knew she knew. Fuck I even forgot what happened now.

I liked the original simply because of Barnabas but the remake was pretty good too.

leemajors
10-01-2008, 03:15 PM

:tu

the BBC Sherlock Holmes stuff was good - Jeremy Brett nailed It. Guy Ritchie Is a joke. As for Depp, he would suck as Holmes - Sherlock doesn't smirk and that's about all Depp does.

monosylab1k
10-01-2008, 03:35 PM
Law wasnt really in any major roles until after Cold Mountain, then he was all over in 2004.

Uhhh.....AI, Road To Perdition, Talented Mr. Ripley? He was only nominated for an Oscar for the last one.

Depp - Edward Scissor hands in 90 then What's eating Gilbert Grape was in 93, then Fear and Loathing in 98 were the only things worth a damn till 01 when he did Blow, then Pirates in 03. I bet if you ask him his career took off after Pirates because I doubt Don Juan and Donnie Brasco did wonders for his career. Oh yeah and lets not forget From Hell , Sleepy Hollow and the Astronauts.

Yeah 3 or 4 big hits in a decade means his career is in the fucking tank. Brilliant. Absolutely brilliant.

In addition, Ed Wood was only one of the best performances of his career, and apparently you didn't check the numbers but Sleepy Hollow was a good sized box office hit.

He was steadily working and involved in quite a few mid to high level hits thorughout the decade, it's not like he was ever in prison addicted to smack. Pirates turned Depp from a big movie star to a massive one. To say he ever had a "comeback" is stupidity at best.

T Park
10-01-2008, 04:40 PM
robert Downey Jr should be a great Sherlock Holmes.

Can't wait for this one.

leemajors
10-01-2008, 05:13 PM
Uhhh.....AI, Road To Perdition, Talented Mr. Ripley? He was only nominated for an Oscar for the last one.

Yeah 3 or 4 big hits in a decade means his career is in the fucking tank. Brilliant. Absolutely brilliant.

In addition, Ed Wood was only one of the best performances of his career, and apparently you didn't check the numbers but Sleepy Hollow was a good sized box office hit.

He was steadily working and involved in quite a few mid to high level hits thorughout the decade, it's not like he was ever in prison addicted to smack. Pirates turned Depp from a big movie star to a massive one. To say he ever had a "comeback" is stupidity at best.

Just wanted to say Blow BLEW, and that Dead Man was great.

mrsmaalox
10-01-2008, 05:54 PM
I've loved Robert Downey Jr since "Chaplin", so I look forward to him as Holmes. Jude Law as Watson I'm not excited about. He's not my cup of tea---too skinny. The movies I liked him best in were "Road to Perdition" and "Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil" in a pretty small role; I liked "Closer" but I didn"t like him.
"Ed Wood" has been Depp's absolute best---I also really liked "Secret Window". He was good in "Fear and Loathing", but I couldn't hardly stand it because Benicio Del Toro just totally creeps me out.

leemajors
10-01-2008, 08:11 PM
secret window is hilarious, it quit taking itself seriously, which was a good thing. turturro, as always, was good. depp was ok as usual.

RashoFan
10-01-2008, 08:43 PM
I'm not thinking about Pirates version of Depp.......i was thinking more along the lines of that movie he was in....(aww....whats it called...6th Circle?.)...where he hooked up with devil...

The 9th gate perhaps?

RashoFan
10-01-2008, 08:46 PM
Robert Downey Jr, Johnny Depp and John Cusack are IMO the 3 best actors in my era/ lifetime.

ShoogarBear
10-01-2008, 08:51 PM

I'm guessing . . . not Heath Ledger.

ShoogarBear
10-01-2008, 08:52 PM
Johnny Deep

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/ni/el-profesor-freud.jpg

RashoFan
10-01-2008, 08:54 PM
:lol
opps...
:lmao

CuckingFunt
10-01-2008, 09:38 PM
Just wanted to say Blow BLEW, and that Dead Man was great.

Ditto.

Dead Man is one of my very favorite films.

spurspf
10-01-2008, 09:49 PM
:tu

the BBC Sherlock Holmes stuff was good - Jeremy Brett nailed It. Guy Ritchie Is a joke. As for Depp, he would suck as Holmes - Sherlock doesn't smirk and that's about all Depp does.

I was going to say Jeremy Brett but you beat me to it. I don't see how Brett can be topped, if it happens it will be a great movie. Didn't Brett die already?

mrsmaalox
10-02-2008, 10:08 AM
Robert Downey Jr, Johnny Depp and John Cusack are IMO the 3 best actors in my era/ lifetime.

Absolutely. I also think we have yet to see the best from Philip Seymour Hoffman and Joaquin Phoenix. Or are they younger than those other 3 dudes?