PDA

View Full Version : AP Game Article: WTF?

Aggie Hoopsfan
02-11-2005, 10:59 PM
What might have made Carter so angry was that Bowen ended Carter's season last year by undercutting him on a jump shot.

Que? I remember the undercut, but come on...

Johnny_Blaze_47
02-11-2005, 11:02 PM
Que? I remember the undercut, but come on...

Talk about your injection of your opinion in a news story.

exstatic
02-11-2005, 11:04 PM
:lmao Vince, for once, played most of the season, 73 games. I KNOW that the game wasn't that late in the season. I think he missed a few games.

Manu20
02-11-2005, 11:04 PM
There trying to make Bowen the bad guy.

GoSpurs21
02-11-2005, 11:43 PM
more Spurs envy, hidden as Spurs hate that is just plain foolish hack

Aggie Hoopsfan
02-11-2005, 11:47 PM
Seriously though, I guess the normal writer was sick and they let Half Man Half a Brain Cell fill in.

Aggie Hoopsfan
02-11-2005, 11:52 PM
More stupidity. Tim Legler says "you don't throw out Vince b/c he already has one technical."

So what? If the ref doesn't stop VC, it's a fight. Legler probably thought it was a good idea when Jax and Artest went into the stands in the fall too.

Johnny_Blaze_47
02-11-2005, 11:54 PM
So what? If the ref doesn't stop VC, it's a fight. Legler probably thought it was a good idea when Jax and Artest went into the stands in the fall too.

He did. 'Member? You 'member.

Tek_XX
02-12-2005, 12:02 AM
ESPN guys are retards. They tend to defend the ghetto trash in this league.

GoSpurs21
02-12-2005, 12:10 AM
since there is no longer drama in lala land, BSPN will stoop to sensationalism type reporting to make drama were no exists. anyone see the interview with Bowen on FSW? Bowen said he thought that their was no foul on the play and that he had no further comment on the subject. The reports just kept hounding him until he finally said maybe he is still mad about last season.

I dont see anyone calling Ira Newble dirty when Kobe injuried his ankle on basically the same type of play. Anyone who thinks that Bruce does it on purpose needs to go back to reading the National Inquirer.

T Park
02-12-2005, 12:12 AM
They tend to defend the ghetto trash in this league

Part of the reason the league is declining in attendance and TV numbers.

People hate the ghetto trash like Vince Carter.

Great player, but has to defend himself cause he was "disrespected"

Grow the fuck up Carter.

I garuntee pop and Bowen are laughin there asses off cause, "That dumbshit fell for it AGAIN"

SequSpur
02-12-2005, 12:17 AM
Professional Sporting events are charging to much for tickets, concessions and parking. You have to have a winning team to get support nowadays. Americans want to be entertained. It has nothing to do with the ghetto.

I was priced out last year. Oh well.

T Park
02-12-2005, 12:25 AM
Part of the reason.

Prices are up, and people are sick of seeing the Vince Carters and the Ron Artest's of the NBA.

Period.

You weren't priced out.

You quit on em. Dickweed.

IcemanCometh
02-12-2005, 01:08 AM
If people are sick of seeing vince carter why is he voted into the all-star game?

T Park
02-12-2005, 01:11 AM
PAYING people are.

The people that vote him in are dumbasses sitting at home on there computers voting him in.

Sequ for instance.

Aggie Hoopsfan
02-12-2005, 01:12 AM
I sure didn't vote for his pansy ass.

Rummpd
02-12-2005, 07:13 AM
AP is the 2nd worst thing (BSPN first) that has happened to professional sportwriting as it is just copied and sent with no attribution to the exact writer.

I wrote them once re a story, actually about a good news story, and they said it is their policy not to reveal the author even on positive stories.

Candyassess.

GrandeDavid
02-12-2005, 08:37 AM
How some of these ovelry opinionated, little educated and no-skilled beat writers get in the AP is beyond me.

CyberBob
02-12-2005, 08:55 AM
The guy who wrote the AP article... TOM CANAVAN.

His story needed a rewrite. The record has been set straight...

DUMBfounded: Spurs Capitalize on Carter Ejection (http://woai.com/spurs/story.aspx?content_id=E06C1E67-6E59-452F-BB5F-71D6AD10A613)

MaNuMaNiAc
02-12-2005, 09:57 AM
Thanks for that CyberBob!

IX_Equilibrium
02-12-2005, 10:17 AM
More stupidity. Tim Legler says "you don't throw out Vince b/c he already has one technical."

Legler seems to become more stupid by the week. ESPN has done a shitty job choosing that panel.

boutons
02-12-2005, 10:32 AM
"The record has been set straight"

but 1000s more people read AP stories than woai web site. but thanks for trying.

I've sent an email to [email protected] pointing out their error and URL of your story. Fat lot of good it will do. NYTimes quoted Little Larry Frank making the same error:

=================

February 12, 2005

SPURS 101, NETS 91

Carter Soars Until Spurs Get Under His Skin
By JASON DIAMOS

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J., Feb. 11 - It was painfully obvious that the San Antonio Spurs had no answer for Vince Carter at Continental Arena on Friday night. Carter was in such a groove that it is doubtful anyone could have guarded him.

The only way the Spurs finally stopped Carter was when Bruce Bowen got under Carter's skin - and, Carter felt, deliberately undercut his legs. As a result, a pair of technical fouls cost Carter a shot at a historic evening.

The technical fouls also cost the Nets a chance at a victory over the team with the best record in the National Basketball Association. The Spurs (40-11) rallied from a 5-point deficit when Carter, who had scored 43 points, was ejected with 9 minutes 45 seconds remaining. San Antonio won, 101-91, as the Nets dropped to 21-29 with their second consecutive defeat.

"I'm not going to get into whether it was deliberate or not," Carter said in talking about the incident in which one of his legs became entangled with Bowen's after Carter missed a jump shot. "But last year a play similar to that ended my season. It was a concern for me."

Nets Coach Lawrence Frank was seething long after the game. "The referees supposedly pride themselves on knowing past history and studying the game," he said. "Not to take anything away from San Antonio - they're one of the best teams in the league. And Bruce Bowen is one of the best defenders. But last year, Bruce Bowen ended Vince's season by stepping under him on his jump shot."

Bowen's interpretation of the incident differed from Frank's and Carter's.

"I felt he tried to trip me," Bowen said. "That's how I feel. That's all I have to say about it. If he did come into the game with a grudge, then he's worried about the wrong things."

Carter picked up his second technical foul after he sprinted back up the court to yell at Bowen because Carter felt that Bowen was trying to take out one of his legs on a jump shot. Carter and Bowen had earlier received double technical fouls midway through the third quarter after exchanging light head-butts as they fought for position on an in-bounds play.

No punches were thrown in the second incident, and the official Courtney Kirkland intercepted Carter before he ever got to Bowen, but Carter was tossed from the game because two technical fouls constitute an automatic ejection.

Carter yanked off his jersey as he left the floor and walked back to the Nets' locker room bare-chested, holding his shirt in his hand.

"That's probably the only way they would have stopped Vince tonight," the Nets' captain, Jason Kidd, said. "He was rolling."

At the time, the Nets led, 72-67, and had not trailed all game. Without Carter, the Nets were pretty much finished, although they did put up a fight to the end. But San Antonio - which received 27 points from Tony Parker and 16 points, 15 rebounds and 9 assists from Tim Duncan - outscored the Nets by 34-19 for the rest of the game.

Physical encounters were a theme for Carter and the Nets on Friday. A report on the Canadian Web site Sportsnet.ca on Thursday quoted Carter's mother, Michelle, as saying that her son and Toronto Coach Sam Mitchell engaged in a physical confrontation earlier this season before Carter was traded to the Nets on Dec. 17. In the article, Carter's mother said that Carter had body slammed Mitchell on a massage table.

Carter said he was not going to discuss the article, and his mother said: "I did not say it was a fight. I don't think there was anger involved. But something physical did happen. It was not a fight. That's what I was told by Vince."

Carter did not body slam anybody on Friday. But he and Bowen were called for double technical fouls at 6:04 of the third quarter, after Bowen's forehead had hit Carter's on an in-bounds play before Carter butted back more forcefully.

By the end of the third quarter, Carter was closing in on the Nets' franchise record of 52 points in a game held by Mike Newlin in December 1979 and Ray Williams in April 1982. There have been only four 50-point games in New Jersey franchise history, and when Carter sank a free throw with 10:22 left in the fourth quarter, Carter had already tied his season high of 43 points.

Fifty points seemed a foregone conclusion at that point.

Little did anyone know that less than a minute later, Carter would be ejected from the game.

"That's our fine officials' discretion, and that's who we trust," Frank said. "I guess the question I would pose - and not to make any excuses because we got beat - is if someone ended your season and then they did it again, you'd probably be a little bit upset as well."

REBOUNDS

Alonzo Mourning and the Toronto Raptors agreed on a buyout of his contract Friday amid speculation that he would sign with the Miami Heat. "I want to be home," Mourning said on the radio show of his former college coach, John Thompson. Mourning lives in Miami, and his charitable foundation is based there. "I want to be close to my family. I want to be close to my foundation and my business interests."

Copyright 2005 The New York Times Company

================================================== =====

From the NY POST, quoting Carter with the same "season ending injurty" lie:

OFFICIALLY MAD

By FRED KERBER

February 12, 2005 -- The clock showed 27.7 seconds left in what would emerge as perhaps the Nets' most frustrating defeat of the season. Lawrence Frank could keep it inside no longer and he addressed the refs.

"You guys totally [bleeped] up the game," Frank said. "Way to kick out the best player in this game."

And there was no technical — at least not then.

The most damaging technical was levied with 9:45 left, and it was slapped on Vince Carter, his second "T" of the game. Warranted or not, it was the only way Carter could be stopped: He had scored 43 points and had the Nets up five at that point.

Without Carter, the Nets had little offense down the stretch. And with tired legs, they had no way to halt Tony Parker, who lit them up for 17 of his 27 points in the fourth quarter as the Spurs dealt the Nets a deflating 101-91 defeat at the Meadowlands.

"That was probably the only way they were going to stop Vince," Jason Kidd (11 points, seven assists) said regarding Carter's first NBA ejection.

Carter, who picked up a double technical with Bruce Bowen at 6:04 of the third, launched a left-side jumper. It came over Bowen, the guy Carter claimed nearly ended his season last year with a play just like last night. After the shot, Bowen backed into Carter, their feet tangled, and Carter rushed after Bowen. He was restrained by ref Courtney Kirkland.

"I'm not going to get into deliberate . . . it was one of those plays where last year a play like that ended my season. So there was concern," said Carter, who was 5-of-6 on 3-pointers in what was shaping up as his career night, but instead became "just" his third 40-point game as a Net.

"I was just trying to play the game. I was trying to get past all the stuff he was trying to do out there. I knew it was going to happen sooner or later, though.

"He was trying to hold, grab, pull, the whole game," said Carter, who apologized to the team and coaches for his ejection.

Bowen said he saw it quite differently.

"I felt that he tried to trip me. I haven't seen the replay, but that's how I feel," Bowen said. "If he came into the game with a grudge, he's worried about the wrong things."

Frank seemed far more furious.

"The referees supposedly pride themselves on knowing past history and studying the game. Not to take anything away from San Antonio . . . and Bruce Bowen is one of the best defenders, but last year, Bruce Bowen ended Vince's season by stepping under him on a jump shot," Frank said, seething. "The officials were warned of it time and time and time again but yet they continued to let that occur.

"It's just a shame that Vince got ejected for something that could have been prevented."

Without Carter, the Nets (21-29) crumbled to the Spurs (40-11), who received 16 points, 15 rebounds and nine assists from Tim Duncan. The Nets, who played flawlessly in the first half, especially on defense (they led 40-32 as the Spurs shot .366) had little with which to answer. Rookie Nenad Krstic gave 17 points but, like Jason Collins, he eventually fouled out.

"I don't how you throw out our leading scorer on a play that was obviously targeted at him," Travis Best said.

Yeah, the Nets missed Carter.

"That was huge," Duncan said. "They had to go somewhere else to find their points."

The Spurs went to Parker. The Nets fought back from six down and were within 92-91 when Parker bagged a 3-pointer and a pair of free throws to start a 9-0 run that ended the game and the Nets.

Actually, the Nets' night ended a bit sooner.

================================================

NY POST also had story about Vagina Carter's mommie revising, revising, revising what she said, he said, etc, etc. These people make shrub/dickhead and their posse of murderous liars look like fountains of veracity:

VINCE'S MOM BACKS OFF FIGHT STORY

By FRED KERBER

February 12, 2005 -- The report out of Canada claimed Vince Carter and Raptors coach Sam Mitchell had gotten into a fight earlier this season. Michelle Carter, Vince's mom and one of the sources for the story, gave a slightly different version last night.

"First of all, I did not say it was a fight, that he and Sam Mitchell had a fight. I want to make that perfectly clear," Michelle Carter said after her son was ejected in the Nets' 101-91 loss to the Spurs. "What I did say, at the Christmas party, Sam Mitchell was speaking, he came to our table, he stood there for 30 minutes, he likes to just talk a lot. And he mentioned an altercation between he and Vince.

"He was jokingly saying, 'You whipped me,' but he used some other language. And you know, they laughed about it. Then when we left the party I asked Vince, 'What was that all about?' And he told me . . . He said it happened in the locker room. I wasn't there; I'm going by what Sam Mitchell said and what Vince told me."

The report said Carter was challenged by Mitchell, then lifted him and slammed him down on a massage table. Carter had other things on his mind after last night's game.

"What incident?" Carter said. "I'm not going to talk about it. You're making an altercation like we're having a fight."

picnroll
02-12-2005, 10:41 AM
"I'm not going to get into deliberate . . . it was one of those plays where last year a play like that ended my season. So there was concern," said Carter,
I thought Carter ended his season when he quit on his team?