41. Sam Presti
42. Steve Kerr
43. Rich Jones
44. Gene Banks
45. Vinny Del Negro
46. Mike Gale
47. Dennis Rodman

------------------------------

To pass the time until the start of preseason, let's see how SpursTalk.com ranks the Top 50 Spurs. Those eligible for the list include all players, coaches and owners. I don't want to define "top" too narrowly, but I think the best way to do it would be to think of the list as a list of the 50 most influential people who have helped make the Spurs one of the most successful franchises in the history of sport.

For more information on what we are doing, check out this thread (http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103061).

In this thread, we will vote for spot number 48. Please place your vote. If you will, also explain in this thread why you voted how you did.

Thanks.

P.S.

Poll options listed in alphabetical order. If you want to vote for someone not on the list, post in the thread and I'll add the person.

Voting will end 2AM CST Friday morning.

Please vote only once.

anakha
10-02-2008, 06:23 AM
So, who's the anti-Rasho choice for this one? :p:

timvp
10-02-2008, 06:44 AM
Bob Hill
Hill was the coach Gregg Popovich hired when he was named the GM of the Spurs. Hill led the Spurs to a 62-20 record in his first year as coach and the team made it to the Western Conference Finals before losing against the Houston Rockets in the 1994-95 season. The next year the Spurs went 59-23. After beginning the 1996-97 season at 3-15, Hill was fired. His winning percentage of .681 is the highest in franchise history, while his win total of 124 ranks him sixth.

Chuck Person
Person played in 222 regular season games in his four years in San Antonio. He missed the entire 1996-97 due to injury - in the three other years the Spurs averaged 59 wins per season. He averaged 9.7 points and 3.9 rebounds in 25.3 minutes per game, while shooting 41.4% from the floor and 38.6% from beyond the three-point arc. In the 1994-95 season, Person hit 172 three-pointers to set a franchise record. He topped that number in the 1995-96 season with 190 three-pointers. Those two marks remain the two highest marks for three-pointers made in a single season in Spurs history. In the playoffs with the Spurs, Person averaged 7.3 points per game on 41.6% shooting from the field and 39.4% from beyond the arc.

Coby Dietrick
Spent six years with the Spurs, three in the ABA and three in the NBA. All told, he played 484 games for the Spurs and the San Antonio averaged 48.3 wins per year during his six-year career. Dietrick averaged 6.9 points, 5.1 rebounds and 2.4 assists in 21.6 minutes per game. In the playoffs, he averaged 7.9 points per game and raised his field goal percentage substantially (53.6% in his Spurs playoff career compared to his regular season percentage of 46.7%).

Dale Ellis
Ellis spent two seasons with the Spurs, the 1992-93 season and the 1993-94 season. In those two seasons, the Spurs won 49 and 55 games, respectively. Ellis averaged 15.9 points and 3.6 rebounds in 33.5 minutes per game in those two season, while shooting 49.7% from the field, 39.7% from the three-point line and 78.9% from the free throw line. Ellis set the Spurs franchise record with 119 three-pointers in the 1992-93 season and then bettered it the next season with 131 makes. In his two years in the playoffs with the Spurs, his averaged fell across the board – 11.9 points on 43.6% field goal percentage and 30.6% three-point percentage.

Dave Corzine
From 1980 to 1982, Corzine played two seasons with the Spurs and never missed a game. In those 164 games, he averaged 10.3 points, 7.7 rebounds and 1.4 blocks in 25.3 minutes per game, while shooting 50.3% from the field. In his two seasons in San Antonio, the Spurs won 52 games in 1980-81 and 48 games in 1981-82. Corzine during the playoffs averaged 11.6 points, 8.3 rebounds and 1.1 blocks in 26.2 minutes per game on 47.2% shooting.

Edgar Jones
Jones played 127 games for the Spurs over three seasons. In that time period, he averaged 9.6 points, 5.4 rebounds and 1.2 blocks in 21.4 minutes per game. The Spurs averaged 43.7 wins per game in those three seasons. In 11 playoff games with the Spurs, he averaged 6.8 points and 4.8 rebounds.

Frank Brickowski
In four years with the Spurs, Brickowski averaged 11.6 points and 5.6 rebounds in 25.4 minutes per game. He played 219 games in those four years and the Spurs averaged 34 wins per year. Brickowski played from the Spurs for the 1986-87 season until the 1989-90 season.

George Johnson
Over two season, George Johnson averaged 4 points, 6.7 rebounds and 3.3 blocks while with the Spurs in 22.4 minutes per game. In those two seasons, the Spurs won 52 and 48 games, respectively.

Greg Anderson
Anderson had two two-year stints with the Spurs. In his first two years, he averaged 12.7 points, 7.3 rebounds and 1.4 blocks per game as the Spurs averaged 26 wins per season. He came back to San Antonio six years later to play a much smaller role. In his last season with the Spurs, he averaged 3.9 points and 5.5 rebounds per game.

Johnny Dawkins
Dawkins spent three years with the Spurs from 1986 to 1989. During that time, San Antonio averaged 26.7 wins per season. In 178 games with the Spurs, Dawkins averaged 13 points and 5.6 assists per game.

Walter Berry
Berry spent parts of two season with the Spurs in which he averaged 17.5 points and 5.4 rebounds in 27.1 minutes per game. During those two campaigns, the Spurs averaged 29.5 victories per season. In his three playoff games with the Spurs, Berry averaged 22 points, seven rebounds and two assists.

I like Coby Dietrick or Dave Corzine in this spot. Bob Hill also wouldn't be horrible.

Obstructed_View
10-02-2008, 08:13 AM
Chuck Person was the first really clutch player I ever saw on the Spurs. I couldn't believe how confident he made the team. He and Doc Rivers really fueled the offense.

50 cent
10-02-2008, 08:31 AM
Coby Dietrick then Chuck Person.

Obstructed_View
10-02-2008, 08:37 AM
Coby Dietrick then Chuck Person.

I'm okay with that. Unfortunately Rasho watch forces us to vote in ways we might otherwise not.

rascal
10-02-2008, 08:39 AM
Bob Hill. Keep Rasho off this list. Hill has 4 votes Rasho has 3.

Ed Helicopter Jones
10-02-2008, 10:21 AM
Coby is a good choice. George Johnson is a good choice. Bob Hill won a lot of games.

I'll see who's faring the best later today and cast my Anti-Rasho vote.

samikeyp
10-02-2008, 10:24 AM
Oberto top 50? :lmao :lmao

Let's see someone make a case for that! :lol

xtremesteven33
10-02-2008, 11:10 AM
The Coyote should take #50

rascal
10-02-2008, 01:38 PM
The Coyote (even though he showed up for only half the games) > Rasho

angel_luv
10-02-2008, 01:43 PM
So, who's the anti-Rasho choice for this one? :p:

:rolleyes

You guys are relentlessly lame.

2centsworth
10-02-2008, 01:46 PM
How did Dale fall this far? Kid is maybe the best shooter in the history of the Spurs.

I would go with Dale and then Chuck.

samikeyp
10-02-2008, 02:07 PM

I guess believing Rasho is not one of the top 50 Spurs of all time makes one lame. So be it.

angel_luv
10-02-2008, 02:54 PM
I guess believing Rasho is not one of the top 50 Spurs of all time makes one lame. So be it.

What is lame to go out of your way to disquailfy someone and/ or to make a production about it.

I knew going into this poll that it was not going to fully reflect my feeling(seeing as so many people are voting on it), so the outcome is not something I lose sleep over.

angel_luv
10-02-2008, 02:59 PM
In all fairness, I made a fuss about Avery getting into the poll when he did, but that was lame of me as well.

samikeyp
10-02-2008, 03:00 PM
What is lame to go out of your way to disquailfy someone and/ or to make a production about it.

I knew going into this poll that it was not going to fully reflect my feeling(seeing as so many people are voting on it), so the outcome is not something I lose sleep over.

To be fair, you are calling out folks because they are voting against Rasho just because he is Rasho....but by the same token, you are voting for Rasho just because he is Rasho.

rAm
10-02-2008, 03:08 PM

If this poll were to fully reflect your feelings, Rasho and Beno would be in the Top 30. So your poll is wrong.

But because you guys are voting for Rasho, it is making everyone have to bandwagon on a player that really shouldn't be there. That's why 40-50 is already getting retarded.

angel_luv
10-02-2008, 03:14 PM
If this poll were to fully reflect your feelings, Rasho and Beno would be in the Top 30. So your poll is wrong.

But because you guys are voting for Rasho, it is making everyone have to bandwagon on a player that really shouldn't be there. That's why 40-50 is already getting retarded.

My poll is wrong for you. Your poll seems wrong to me.

The way to get the most accurate results would be to have everyone list their top 50 spurs in order of importance and then average those results.

samikeyp
10-02-2008, 03:23 PM
My poll is wrong for you. Your poll seems wrong to me.

The way to get the most accurate results would be to have everyone list their top 50 spurs in order of importance and then average those results.

Actually there is no way that polls like these can be accurate because they are all speculation. The majority of the people voting never saw half the players or coaches mentioned in action. People didn't see someone play so they will choose the familiar name. You have people voting for players solely on national origin. None of these things are right or wrong. You can't blame folks for not voting on someone they have never heard of. If you are looking for accuracy, this is not the place to find it.

Spurs Brazil
10-02-2008, 04:05 PM
The Rifleman

Mr.Bottomtooth
10-02-2008, 04:08 PM

Says the person who has been voting for Rasho in the many of the last polls. Rasho isn't worth shit and doesn't deserve to be in the top 100 for that matter. You are the lame one.

remingtonbo2001
10-02-2008, 04:18 PM
Says the person who has been voting for Rasho in the many of the last polls. Rasho isn't worth shit and doesn't deserve to be in the top 100 for that matter. You are the lame one.

Easy there Mr. Bottomtooth.

Rasho is actually worth millions.

Rasho has to be the main post presence on the floor to be effective. It obviously wasn't going to happen with this organization, as everything goes through Tim.

Therefore, he deffered and became insignificant on offense, with the exception of his stellar tip-out offensive rebounding.

However, Rasho's team defensive skills should have been lauded during his time here.

Point is, Rasho's a pretty good player, but his attributes really didn't fit well with the other parts of the team.

Ed Helicopter Jones
10-02-2008, 04:44 PM
Easy there Mr. Bottomtooth.

Rasho is actually worth millions.

Rasho has to be the main post presence on the floor to be effective. It obviously wasn't going to happen with this organization, as everything goes through Tim.

Therefore, he deffered and became insignificant on offense, with the exception of his stellar tip-out offensive rebounding.

However, Rasho's team defensive skills should have been lauded during his time here.

Point is, Rasho's a pretty good player, but his attributes really didn't fit well with the other parts of the team.

If "his attributes really didn't fit well with the other parts of the team" then he really isn't a top 50 player for the SPURS.

To quote the immortal Timvp (not sure he's actually "immortal" but a man can dare to dream):

"...think of the list as a list of the 50 most influential people who have helped make the Spurs one of the most successful franchises in the history of sport."

Rasho may be worth millions to some team out there, but truth is he was never worth millions to the Spurs during his time in a Spurs uniform.

By that reasoning Dominique Wilkins should be on the list seeing as he once wore a Spurs uniform. He was worth millions upon millions.

Moses Malone was on the Spurs roster...he should get the nod by that reasoning.

I have yet to see a valid argument for what makes Rasho worthy of a top 50 spot, other than "he was always in good defensive position"............Yay. You could put a tree stump in good defensive position, which is precisely what Rasho was to this team.

Mr.Bottomtooth
10-02-2008, 04:46 PM
Thanks, Chopper.

Obstructed_View
10-02-2008, 05:20 PM
Oberto top 50? :lmao :lmao

Let's see someone make a case for that! :lol

He was the center for one more championship team than Rasho. Oberto jumped ahead of Rasho in the playoff rotation when he was a rookie. He's never been so bad that he got benched for a playoff run, which had happened to Rasho twice by the time he'd been with the Spurs the same amount of time.

samikeyp
10-02-2008, 05:22 PM
He was the center for one more championship team than Rasho. Oberto jumped ahead of Rasho in the playoff rotation when he was a rookie. He's never been so bad that he got benched for a playoff run, which had happened to Rasho twice by the time he'd been with the Spurs the same amount of time.

Ok, that makes the case for him being ahead of Rasho, but not for him being one of the top 50 Spurs of all time.

sendman
10-02-2008, 05:27 PM
To quote the immortal Timvp (not sure he's actually "immortal" but a man can dare to dream):

This is the MOTHER of suck-ups!

FromWayDowntown
10-02-2008, 05:29 PM
If Rasho had actually been as valuable to the Spurs as suggested, they likely wouldn't have given up substantial assets to acquire Nazr Mohammed, eventually replace Rasho with Nazr, and diminished Rasho's playoff role to appearing in about half of his team's games and playing less than 8 minutes per appearance.

Rationally-acting, successful teams don't frequently replace valuable players with less valuable players. At the very least, it would seem reasonable to say that Nazr Mohammed belongs on the list before Rasho Nesterovic does.

2centsworth
10-02-2008, 05:29 PM
how does Dale Ellis have only one vote. I'm going to vommit

anakha
10-02-2008, 05:31 PM

Just making a joke based on how the voting has gone the past several days.

Why so thin-skinned all of a sudden? :rolleyes

Obstructed_View
10-02-2008, 05:33 PM
Ok, that makes the case for him being ahead of Rasho, but not for him being one of the top 50 Spurs of all time.

Sorry, but the Rasho voters have fucked up the last few spots of this poll. It's a smaller tragedy to have Oberto and Nazr and Ellis and Person and Coby on the list than to have Rasho on it. We don't have to outrun the bear...

samikeyp
10-02-2008, 05:35 PM
Sorry, but the Rasho voters have fucked up the last few spots of this poll. It's a smaller tragedy to have Oberto and Nazr and Ellis and Person and Coby on the list than to have Rasho on it. We don't have to outrun the bear...

Two wrongs don't make a right. :)

Typhoon
10-02-2008, 05:38 PM
Its time for Oberto to leave its mark among the top 50, no doubt.

remingtonbo2001
10-02-2008, 05:41 PM
If "his attributes really didn't fit well with the other parts of the team" then he really isn't a top 50 player for the SPURS.

"...think of the list as a list of the 50 most influential people who have helped make the Spurs one of the most successful franchises in the history of sport."

Rasho may be worth millions to some team out there, but truth is he was never worth millions to the Spurs during his time in a Spurs uniform.

By that reasoning Dominique Wilkins should be on the list seeing as he once wore a Spurs uniform. He was worth millions upon millions.

Moses Malone was on the Spurs roster...he should get the nod by that reasoning.

I have yet to see a valid argument for what makes Rasho worthy of a top 50 spot, other than "he was always in good defensive position"............Yay. You could put a tree stump in good defensive position, which is precisely what Rasho was to this team.

My remark about Rasho being worth millions was synical.

The remark was directed more so at Bottomtooth's remark about an individual being less worthy than a pile of steaming manure.

It's as though Rasho purposely sabatoged this team, unlike Rodman, or Strickland. :rolleyes

Is Rasho worthy of being in the top 50? In reality, no. However, neither should Rodman or Strickland for that matter. They're not even close to Spurs material.

Any Spurs Top 50 list without David Robinson holding the #1 spot is a pile of steaming manure. :downspin:

rAm
10-02-2008, 05:46 PM
Any Spurs Top 50 list without David Robinson holding the #1 spot is a pile of steaming manure. :downspin:

Couldn't agree with you more.

SlovenianGuy
10-02-2008, 06:13 PM
Let me explain my case for Rasho.

He wasn't worse than Steve Kerr, who's main quality was shooting the ball, but managed to score only 3.7 points per game in his 206 games with the Spurs.

Steve Kerr was chosen as the 42nd best Spur.

Until that point I was voting for guys like Jones, Banks, Vinny or Hill, but when I saw that Kerr got the 42nd spot I started to vote for Rasho.

rAm
10-02-2008, 06:25 PM
Let me explain my case for Rasho.

He wasn't worse than Steve Kerr, who's main quality was shooting the ball, but managed to score only 3.7 points per game in his 206 games with the Spurs.

Steve Kerr was chosen as the 42nd best Spur.

Until that point I was voting for guys like Jones, Banks, Vinny or Hill, but when I saw that Kerr got the 42nd spot I started to vote for Rasho.

no sry

timvp
10-02-2008, 06:58 PM
I'm jumping on the Coby Dietrick bandwagon. He's easily the most deserving of the players near the top. He played in a ton of games for the Spurs and was a fan favorite. He's arguably the second best bench player in team history behind Rose. He was a rare forward that could help in just about every category - points, rebounds, assists, steals and blocks. Plus he almost always upped his game in the playoffs.

Oberto had a good playoff run but that's about all he's done. He hasn't been good in any regular season. Last year in the playoffs he wasn't as good as in '07. Maybe by the time his contract runs out he could be top 50 but he needs more added to his resume.

Nesterovic was a decent player for the Spurs in the regular season. He helped win a lot of regular season games. He had some pretty good stretches when Duncan was injured. But he just doesn't have the stats or the playoff accomplishments to warrant top 50.

Person was a fun player to watch because he'd bomb threes from anywhere on the court. But his all around game wasn't there. He was a one-dimensional bench player. And most importantly, when the Spurs needed him most, he played horribly. In the '95 playoffs, he laid a gigantic egg. Fans like to blame Rodman, Hill and Del Negro but Person rolling over and dying was just as big.

Obstructed_View
10-03-2008, 05:33 AM
Two wrongs don't make a right. :)

See "smaller tragedy".

velik_m
10-03-2008, 07:46 AM
If Rasho had actually been as valuable to the Spurs as suggested, they likely wouldn't have given up substantial assets to acquire Nazr Mohammed, eventually replace Rasho with Nazr, and diminished Rasho's playoff role to appearing in about half of his team's games and playing less than 8 minutes per appearance.

Rationally-acting, successful teams don't frequently replace valuable players with less valuable players. At the very least, it would seem reasonable to say that Nazr Mohammed belongs on the list before Rasho Nesterovic does.

Unless the player gets injured.

Obstructed_View
10-03-2008, 07:52 AM
Unless the player gets injured.

Very true. And Rasho was healthy for the playoffs every year he was here, yet watched two of them from the bench.

angel_luv
10-03-2008, 10:53 AM
Just making a joke based on how the voting has gone the past several days.

Why so thin-skinned all of a sudden? :rolleyes

What, no one told you it was Thin-Skinned Thursday? ;)