PDA

View Full Version : McDonald: Pondering Life Without Manu

duncan228
10-02-2008, 07:46 PM
Jeff McDonald: Pondering life without Manu (http://blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblogs/courtside/archives/2008/10/jeff_mcdonald_p_16.html)

Three days into Spurs training camp, and there have only been fleeting Manu Ginobili sightings.

See Manu walking out of the weight room, see Manu on the stationary bike, see Manu headed to the swimming pool.

It seems when an NBA player is injured, he tends to be out of sight and (mostly) out of mind. As such, the Spurs haven't had time to miss Ginobili, yet.

"We'll feel that difference when the games come," coach Gregg Popovich said. "That's when someone will have to step up."

Ginobili's ankle injury -- which Popovich says could cost him as many as 25 games to start the regular season -- opens the door for other players to play prime minutes at the start of the season. The clear beneficiaries here are Ime Udoka and newcomer Roger Mason, who should see plenty of time with Ginobili shelved.

Still, Ginobili is a singular talent, and the Spurs realize nobody they throw out there in his place will be able to replicate what the Argentine all-star can bring on a given night.

"No one's going to come in and replace Manu," Michael Finley said.

The goal for the Spurs, to start the season, must be simply to tread water until Ginobili can return.

With some luck, the Spurs could hover over .500 heading into Ginobili's return projected return date. (Given the ultra-competitive state of the Western Conference, in which 48 victories were not good enough for a playoff berth last year, that could be a dicey proposition).

The first few days of the season could be brutal. Phoenix, Portland and Dallas would be tough sledding to open a season with Ginobili in uniform, much less with him in street clothes.

After that, the schedule loosens up a bit -- dotted with typical win-column fodder like Miami, Minnesota, New York and Memphis.

The best guess here: How the Spurs fare over their Manu-less portion of the season will depend more on what they get out of their other all-stars -- Tim Duncan and Tony Parker -- than what they get out of the guards who take Ginobili's place.

ducks
10-02-2008, 07:56 PM
damm is pop setting it up incase they do not extend manu

T Park
10-02-2008, 08:05 PM
huh?

How the hell do you read that in that article!?!?

Solid D
10-02-2008, 08:11 PM
ducks, that's just silly.

McDonald says that Minnesota is fodder, and they have been for most teams, but if you all will recall, without Manu the Spurs wouldn't have beaten the T-Wolves in at least a couple of games last season.

Positive expectancy tells me the new players can fill-in ably....but the truth remains to be seen.

tav1
10-02-2008, 08:16 PM
Everyone is over reacting here. The Spurs will play better than .500 without Manu.

If you look at their first 16 games, 8 of them are against .500 or below teams. 6 of the other 8 are at home. They have three back to backs, which is rough, but not horrible.

Honestly, I think the Spurs could pull off 11-5 over this stretch. Then in mid-December they have a good stretch of mostly home games against mixed talent. My guess is that Manu returns just before this point. They'll be fine.

wijayas
10-02-2008, 08:22 PM
We still own Phoenix, with or without Manu, don't we? :lol

PeterBurns
10-02-2008, 08:28 PM
For the future of this team. This is a very important.
Getting Udoka, and Bonner more involved in the Spurs will help find out exactly where the y are at regarding extending Manu, and what direction they need to go with this roster.

Mason I think will really make a mark early.....shit he better

tav1
10-02-2008, 08:32 PM
Getting Udoka, and Bonner more involved in the Spurs will help find out exactly where the y are at regarding extending Manu, and what direction they need to go with this roster.

Timmy's comments on Bonner aside, Bonner is history. The Spurs are interviewing his replacement right now. They may not trade him, but I doubt they play him.

PeterBurns
10-02-2008, 08:35 PM
Timmy's comments on Bonner aside, Bonner's history. The Spurs are interviewing his replacement right now.

Does seem like a Poop or get off the pot moment for Bonner, but then again. If there was someone that was good enough to replace him, I think the Spurs would have pushed hard to sign or trade someone.

Anti.Hero
10-02-2008, 08:42 PM

Who sets up the shots for Bonner and Udoka?

Parker Barry Manu were the only ones who could keep the offense fluid last year.

benefactor
10-02-2008, 08:43 PM
Udoka really made strides last season and I feel really good in all that I have read about Mason. Throw Finley 2.0 into the equation and I think we will have enough to get by. If he comes back on Christmas...that is 28 games in. My prediction is 19-9. If you look at the teams we play in the opening stretch its not unreasonable.

T Park
10-02-2008, 08:49 PM
Agreed with that.

I think its going to be tough, but not as tough as some are making it out to be.

tav1
10-02-2008, 09:07 PM

Parker Barry Manu were the only ones who could keep the offense fluid last year.

Parker will play more off the ball this year; Mason Jr is a ball handler, and I'd guess that either Hill or Stoudamire can handle too.

Barry was big in this way, but we'll be okay.

Russ
10-02-2008, 09:11 PM
The Spurs' strength is defense. Manu being out won't hurt that too much.

Manu is a warrior who helps most in big games that require a warrior's heart. The regular season requires little of that and, in fact, wastes some of that.

The Spurs will be fine without Manu. In the short run -- which is all this will be.

Pop should thank Manu for playing in the Olympics and aggravating early an injury that was bound to be aggravated at some point -- like December.

Manufan909
10-02-2008, 10:07 PM
Ducks, how the fuck did you read that!?! I know t park and solid d already called you out, but come on. You hear Ime, Roger, Mike, and see Manu replacement? It's called filler son. That'd be like me saying that Hill, Salim, and Avery were being in to take over for TP. It's just preposterous.

Allanon
10-02-2008, 11:41 PM
With some luck, the Spurs could hover over .500 heading into Ginobili's return projected return date. (Given the ultra-competitive state of the Western Conference, in which 48 victories were not good enough for a playoff berth last year, that could be a dicey proposition).

The first few days of the season could be brutal. Phoenix, Portland and Dallas would be tough sledding to open a season with Ginobili in uniform, much less with him in street clothes.

After that, the schedule loosens up a bit.

I think most of this is right. Spurs should be a little bit above .500 by the time Manu comes back, then they'll have alot of catching up to do.

First 3 games of the season will be 3 brutal losses and it will look like the sky is falling with doom and gloom everywhere. But then the rest of November/December is relatively "easy".

jcrod
10-03-2008, 12:59 AM
Parker will play more off the ball this year; Mason Jr is a ball handler, and I'd guess that either Hill or Stoudamire can handle too.

Barry was big in this way, but we'll be okay.

:lol:wtf Parker will not play of the ball this yr, where the hell you getting that shit? If anything he'll have the ball more in his hands. Manu was the only player that would take Parkers ball handling away when he was on the floor.

They'll miss Manu, but to be hoping they'll be hovering around .500 is stupid. This team is better than that. They'll be ok.

lurker23
10-03-2008, 02:12 AM
The best guess here: How the Spurs fare over their Manu-less portion of the season will depend more on what they get out of their other all-stars -- Tim Duncan and Tony Parker -- than what they get out of the guards who take Ginobili's place.

It's funny, I think most people on this board have been saying the opposite.

Duncan and Parker are known quantities. There's no way these two will be averaging more than 50 points per game combined while Ginobili is out. Others will have to step up on offense in big ways.

Manufan909
10-03-2008, 02:35 AM
They could avg that, but Mason, Hill, Ian, and Udoka will have to step up their games. And Fin needs to produce the same with less minutes, or more in the same amoun if god forbid PPop gives him the same amount of minutes as he had last year.

mrspurs
10-03-2008, 08:09 AM
Everyone is over reacting here. The Spurs will play better than .500 without Manu.

If you look at their first 16 games, 8 of them are against .500 or below teams. 6 of the other 8 are at home. They have three back to backs, which is rough, but not horrible.

Honestly, I think the Spurs could pull off 11-5 over this stretch. Then in mid-December they have a good stretch of mostly home games against mixed talent. My guess is that Manu returns just before this point. They'll be fine.

Agreed on the over acting. When Timvp put up the schedule that Manu would most likely miss it changed my mind as well. Its not the start of the season that worrys me. Its what seed we finish. Its the playoffs. But like life we take it one day at a time, one game at a time. Many things can happen before the playoffs begin. Ill say this noway we go all the way with this current roster. We are overmatched against most of the top tiers teams.

mrspurs
10-03-2008, 08:15 AM
Timmy's comments on Bonner aside, Bonner is history. The Spurs are interviewing his replacement right now. They may not trade him, but I doubt they play him.

You have to be right. Bonner,Fab and Kurt should be on the trading block. None of them are worth a crap. None of them are gonna help Timmy. And leaving Timmy by himself will be the same as last season. And thats not good. Once they shut Timmy down then its up to TP and Manu. Unlike most even if Manu was healthy we would have lost to LA. We couldnt stop anyone from scoring. When guys like Gasol who cant jump more then and inch have easy alley-oops, it shows your team isnt playing team D. That was our mojo. Team D.

mrspurs
10-03-2008, 08:17 AM

You got that right. And when they couldnt score, who was stopping the teams from scoring?..........noone.

mrspurs
10-03-2008, 08:18 AM
The Spurs' strength is defense. Manu being out won't hurt that too much.

Manu is a warrior who helps most in big games that require a warrior's heart. The regular season requires little of that and, in fact, wastes some of that.

The Spurs will be fine without Manu. In the short run -- which is all this will be.

Pop should thank Manu for playing in the Olympics and aggravating early an injury that was bound to be aggravated at some point -- like December.

Thank Manu for getting hurt? :lol

MoSpur
10-03-2008, 08:27 AM
Its obvious with the Spurs are going to miss with Manu. The intangibles and the hustle plays and the crazy drives to the lane. That's the obvious. The one thing I think the Spurs will miss most is the ball movement.