41. Sam Presti
42. Steve Kerr
43. Rich Jones
44. Gene Banks
45. Vinny Del Negro
46. Mike Gale
47. Dennis Rodman

------------------------------

This is a runoff vote between Coby Dietrick and Fabricio Oberto. The two players tied in the previous poll.

timvp
10-03-2008, 05:34 AM
Coby Dietrick
Spent six years with the Spurs, three in the ABA and three in the NBA. All told, he played 484 games for the Spurs and the San Antonio averaged 48.3 wins per year during his six-year career. Dietrick averaged 6.9 points, 5.1 rebounds and 2.4 assists in 21.6 minutes per game. In the playoffs, he averaged 7.9 points per game and raised his field goal percentage substantially (53.6% in his Spurs playoff career compared to his regular season percentage of 46.7%).

Fabricio Oberto
Oberto has played the last three years with the Spurs and has averaged 3.9 points, 4.2 rebounds and 0.9 assists on 58.1% from the field in 15.9 minutes per game. He has played in a total of 220 regular season games and the Spurs have averaged 59 wins per season. His claim to fame with the Spurs was being the starting center for much of the 2007 playoffs as the Spurs successfully won the championship. His career playoff numbers with the Spurs are 4.1 points, 4.0 rebounds and 0.8 assists on 60.5% from the field in 11.7 minutes per game.

manufor3
10-03-2008, 06:58 AM
coby

Obstructed_View
10-03-2008, 07:45 AM
Coby. Oberto shouldnt even be in the top 50.

I only voted for him to keep Rasho out of the runoff.

remingtonbo2001
10-03-2008, 10:16 AM
Don't underestimate the Argie vote.

angel_luv
10-03-2008, 10:49 AM
I voted for Oberto. I hope he wins.

remingtonbo2001
10-03-2008, 11:09 AM
It look like Coby is going to win this one in landslide fashion.

I guess the Argie vote is about as dependable as the youth vote in a presidential election.

Stump
10-03-2008, 11:18 AM
Will the loser take spot 49 or will we just have a new poll for that?

baseline bum
10-03-2008, 11:34 AM
Rasho

Ed Helicopter Jones
10-03-2008, 11:59 AM
Will the loser take spot 49 or will we just have a new poll for that?

It has to be a new poll for 49. What this poll shows me is that if all the long-time Spurs fans were to consolidate their votes, then those with their 5-year myopic view of this team wouldn't have the pull they seem to be having getting people like Oberto and Rasho nearly elected.

The problem is, when you've been a fan of this team for 30+ years you see about 25 names on that list that are arguably worthy of a spot.

When you've been a fan only as long as the Spurs have won championships, or have had a Slovenian or Argentinian player you like, your perspective is skewed to people who completely pale in comparison to those folks who contributed much more to this franchise, albeit before you cared about this team.

What that means is that 30 or so of us are spreading our votes amongst 20 players while the two sad hangers-on from the current regime are garnering all of the votes from the current "fans".

I can tell you this. Pop would have loved to have a Dave Corzine over Oberto or Rasho. Corzine would give you 12-18 points and 6-10 rebounds every night. One game like that from Rasho would have been his season highlight reel.

Corzine and Mark Olberding were good enough trade bait to entice Artis Gilmore away from the Bulls. Artis was considered a top 3 center in the league at the time. I'm sorry, but we couldn't give Rasho and Oberto away, and people are wanting to stick them in the top 50.

samikeyp
10-03-2008, 12:00 PM
It has to be a new poll for 49. What this poll shows me is that if all the long-time Spurs fans were to consolidate their votes, then those with their 5-year myopic view of this team wouldn't have the pull they seem to be having getting people like Oberto and Rasho nearly elected.

The problem is, when you've been a fan of this team for 30+ years you see about 25 names on that list that are arguably worthy of a spot.

When you've been a fan only as long as the Spurs have won championships, or have had a Slovenian or Argentinian player you like, your perspective is skewed to people who completely pale in comparison to those folks who contributed much more to this franchise, albeit before you cared about this team.

What that means is that 30 or so of us are spreading our votes amongst 20 players while the two sad hangers-on from the current regime are garnering all of the votes from the current "fans".

I can tell you this. Pop would have loved to have a Dave Corzine over Oberto or Rasho. Corzine would give you 12-18 points and 6-10 rebounds every night. One game like that from Rasho would have been his season highlight reel.

Corzine and Mark Olberding were good enough trade bait to entice Artis Gilmore away from the Bulls. Artis was considered a top 3 center in the league at the time. I'm sorry, but we couldn't give Rasho and Oberto away, and people are wanting to stick them in the top 50.

QFT

Well said, sir.

Obstructed_View
10-03-2008, 12:25 PM

Where's that clapping smiley when I need it?

Drom John
10-03-2008, 02:37 PM
As one who was arguing for the old Spurs early and including the Dallas players, I'm going with Oberto. His stats aren't counted. Great picks, very good blockouts, and frustrates opponents in the paint, Oberto defends the pick and roll very well. Oberto is ugly, but effective. In hockey terms, Oberto has good +/- numbers, almost Bowen light.

Dietrich just got playing time and some counting stats.

Corzine is good enough to pass Oberto, but I prefer Oberto.

We are talking 10th string here.

FromWayDowntown
10-03-2008, 02:45 PM
In hockey terms, Oberto has good +/- numbers, almost Bowen light.

I'm not here to bash Fab at all, but I don't know that your assessments hold water -- at least not for 2007-08.

Last season, the Spurs were substantially better on both ends, statistically speaking, when Oberto was off the floor. With Oberto on the floor last season, the Spurs averaged about 106 points per 100 possessions and gave up about 104; with Oberto off the floor, the Spurs averaged about 110 points per 100 possessions and gave up about 102.

In 2006-07, the Spurs were about the same offensively with or without Oberto, but were a little bit better defensively without him than they were with him, too.

Stump
10-03-2008, 03:05 PM
-snip-
Oh, I agree with you. I was just curious on the rules since timvp did something different.

Typhoon
10-03-2008, 04:31 PM
Oberto.

Spurtacus
10-03-2008, 04:48 PM
Oberto. All about the hair.