PDA

View Full Version : I'm curious to know..

SpursFanFirst
10-03-2008, 10:00 AM
Not because I THINK it will happen...and certainly I don't HOPE it happens...

But I'm wondering -

If either ticket won the election, but the Presidential nominee died before January...What would happen then?

Obviously, I know how it would work AFTER January, but in this case, the nominee hasn't officially been placed in office.

Would the VP take the oath?
Would Bush continue in office until we could have a re-vote?

I know it's a tad out of left field, but everyone seems so concerned with McCain's age and Palin being next in line, that it got me wondering.

Does anyone know how that would work?

SpursFanFirst
10-03-2008, 10:51 AM
Doesn't anyone know what would happen?

I think it's a valid question.

I Love Me Some Me
10-03-2008, 10:54 AM
if the President-elect dies, then the Vice President-elect becomes president on Inauguration Day. That rule takes effect only after the meeting of the Electoral College. If the person unofficially called the President-elect dies before that meeting, then the Electoral College would have broad discretion to choose some other person.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/President-elect

samikeyp
10-03-2008, 10:55 AM
I think, and this is a guess because I haven't researched it yet, the VP would take the oath and then the new administration would select a new VP and Congress would have to approve the choice.

SpursFanFirst
10-03-2008, 11:10 AM
ok...that makes sense.
Thanks for the answers! :)

whottt
10-03-2008, 11:12 AM
Palin would do at the National Level what she's already done excellently at the City and State Level.

Obama would make a speech and the media would proclaim his greatness.

Findog
10-03-2008, 11:12 AM
We won't have to worry about the hypothetical of what happens if McCain dies between Nov 5th and Jan 20th.

Whew!

SpursFanFirst
10-03-2008, 11:14 AM
We won't have to worry about the hypothetical of what happens if McCain dies between Nov 5th and Jan 20th.

Whew!

And say Obama gets elected...I'm sorry, but do you honestly think there won't be people out to get him? Unfortunately, it's a strong possibility.

The same question would apply for Obama...

td4mvp21
10-03-2008, 12:15 PM
And say Obama gets elected...I'm sorry, but do you honestly think there won't be people out to get him? Unfortunately, it's a strong possibility.

Sad but probably true. Unfortunately I wouldn't want either Biden or Palin to be president.

Findog
10-03-2008, 12:20 PM

Biden said it best: If he had to assume the Presidency, it would be tragic. I'm sure there have been left-wing wackos that would love to take out Bush or Cheney. I think either candidate will be protected as well as possible.