PDA

View Full Version : Monroe: Media Predicition Says Spurs Fifth-Best In West (And Mason On Pop)

duncan228
10-03-2008, 10:38 AM
Media prediction says Spurs fifth-best in West (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Media_prediction_says_Spurs_fifth-best_in_West.html)
Mike Monroe - Express-News

The fact the Spurs were one of the NBA's final four teams in the 2008 playoffs seems to matter less to preseason prognosticators than the fact most of the team's core players are one year older.

The latest slap from the national media: A prediction by ESPN.com's statistics-based expert, John Hollinger, that the Spurs, for the first time since they drafted Tim Duncan in 1997, will fail to win at least 50 games and won't earn home-court advantage in even the first round of the playoffs. (Their 37-13 record in the lockout-shortened 1998-99 season extrapolates to 60 wins in a normal 82-game schedule).

Hollinger predicts the Spurs will go 47-35 and finish fifth in the Western Conference. He picks the Utah Jazz to finish first in the West, followed by the Lakers, Rockets, Hornets and Spurs.

What do the Spurs think of such preseason opinion?

“There wouldn't be sports reporting if people didn't have their own opinions,” said veteran Bruce Bowen, now the Spurs' oldest player. “I'm sure they have some type of formula to back it up. Unfortunately, you might read that recipe to a T. But when you bake that cake, it doesn't rise as it should.”

Popping off: Roger Mason, the Spurs' key free-agent acquisition, says his good friend and former Wizards teammate Antonio Daniels warned him about coach Gregg Popovich's vocal outbursts. Daniels began his career with the Spurs in 1998 and endured plenty of Popovich outbursts in his four seasons in silver and black.

“Antonio is a close friend,” the guard said after Thursday morning's training camp session. “He told me what to expect, and that includes coach Popovich's screaming. He's a legend, but it's OK. He holds everyone accountable, from Tim Duncan to Tony Parker to the rookies and free agents.”

Mason said he has been leaning on the Spurs' veterans to help him learn the team's systems, especially Popovich's defensive principles.

The most noticeable difference between the Spurs and the Wizards, where he played the past two seasons, has nothing to do with system, though.

“We didn't have a Tim Duncan in the post to run our offense through,” he said.

xtremesteven33
10-03-2008, 10:43 AM
I cant wait to see Mason play with us. I have a really good feeling about him

SenorSpur
10-03-2008, 12:23 PM
I cant wait to see Mason play with us. I have a really good feeling about him

Same here.

With Manu injured, Mason will definitely have his share of opportunities.

SimonHymen
10-03-2008, 12:52 PM
The Jizz will not finish first. They reached their peak two years ago with a trip to the WCF. It's all downhill from here as Boozer's yearly playoff yeast infection happens like clockwork. The Jazz will punch in something similar to where they were this year since they'll probably win their division but first? Not happening.

Galileo
10-03-2008, 01:59 PM
The odds the Spurs don't break 50 wins are slim and none; and Slim is out of town!

TDMVPDPOY
10-03-2008, 02:00 PM
47-35 wtf

1Parker1
10-03-2008, 02:54 PM
“There wouldn't be sports reporting if people didn't have their own opinions,” said veteran Bruce Bowen, now the Spurs' oldest player. “I'm sure they have some type of formula to back it up. Unfortunately, you might read that recipe to a T. But when you bake that cake, it doesn't rise as it should.”

:lol

The Franchise
10-03-2008, 03:06 PM
47-35 wtf

He is probably thinking the Spurs are going to struggle with Manu out and new players to work into the system. Only time will tell. I hope not though.

Galileo
10-03-2008, 03:09 PM
He is probably thinking the Spurs are going to struggle with Manu out and new players to work into the system. Only time will tell. I hope not though.

The Spurs don't have that much turnover compared to most teams. And the Spurs have been turning players over like crazy since Duncan arrived.

Duncan has had more different teammates win championships with him than Michael Jordan.

The prediction is insane.

mrspurs
10-03-2008, 04:37 PM
I dont agree, the jazz wont finish 1st. How on earth they figured that out is beyond me. Baring any health problems easily LA,NO,HOU,Spurs then who knows. Ill say this thou. I find it funny how antonio told roger about pops outbursts. And how pop yells at everyone no matter how much you make or how much you contribute to the team. Thats the kinda of crap that keeps other FA's from coming here imo. Its already catching up to him. Now that young talented FA's dont see us as a shoe in for a ring, they're avoiding us because of pops outbursts. Yelling at people doesnt make anything better. Ever think thats the only reason we seem to grab foreign players. Pop needs to chill on that yelling crap. Its getting older then the players he's been coaching. Our core of players is used to it. But i dont see anyone wanting to come and get yelled at over and over and over again for nothing. During the PO's last season he cussed out Manu in front on the AT&T center and national tv. Did it make manu play better? no. Did it make our other players play better? no. Did we win the game? no. we got blown out.

Manufan909
10-03-2008, 07:05 PM
If Mason did as good without a "Tim" to get fed from, than he will be off the charts here. A perimeter player needs someone like Tim to fullfill their potential, which is what I think will happen with Mason. And athletic bigs like Ian, who will get to dunk all over the place.

jack sommerset
10-03-2008, 07:27 PM
I see the Spews finishing 7th. Mangoo being hurt will put them into a hole.

The Franchise
10-03-2008, 07:29 PM
I see the Spews finishing 7th. Mangoo being hurt will put them into a hole.

Where will your Bulls be finishing?

Avitus1
10-03-2008, 07:36 PM
The more and more I hear about Mason the more and more I cant wait to see him play.

jack sommerset
10-03-2008, 07:37 PM
Where will your Bulls be finishing?

I'm sorry for the confusion. I'll change that team for you. I have no favorite.

wildbill2u
10-04-2008, 12:53 PM
Mason will have to pull off a miracle to move directly into a starting job in the
spur's system. How many players have been able to do that with only a training camp for development?

And his first three years stats don't place him in the quick development pool of players.

DPG21920
10-04-2008, 01:49 PM
It is going to be tough, lets not lie. The Spurs are going to be struggling for points, which is tough considering they only averaged in the low 90's last year. Yes, Mason will get some better looks bc of Tim, but do not forget that Manu was a guy who created a lot of that as well. Our offense will require more scoring from Tim and Tony and a bunch of guys who need to play better than last year and that includes Finley, Ime and Bonner who could not get off the bench. It is not impossible, but a lot of guys are going to have to step up in order to make up for the missing offensive dimension that Manu had.

703 Spurz
10-04-2008, 04:58 PM
I dont agree, the jazz wont finish 1st. How on earth they figured that out is beyond me. Baring any health problems easily LA,NO,HOU,Spurs then who knows. Ill say this thou. I find it funny how antonio told roger about pops outbursts. And how pop yells at everyone no matter how much you make or how much you contribute to the team. Thats the kinda of crap that keeps other FA's from coming here imo. Its already catching up to him. Now that young talented FA's dont see us as a shoe in for a ring, they're avoiding us because of pops outbursts. Yelling at people doesnt make anything better. Ever think thats the only reason we seem to grab foreign players. Pop needs to chill on that yelling crap. Its getting older then the players he's been coaching. Our core of players is used to it. But i dont see anyone wanting to come and get yelled at over and over and over again for nothing. During the PO's last season he cussed out Manu in front on the AT&T center and national tv. Did it make manu play better? no. Did it make our other players play better? no. Did we win the game? no. we got blown out.

So you're saying players don't go to SA b/c Popovich yells? Are you fucking insane? I also love how you think people don't assume SA is a shoe in for a ring and that's why only foreign players like SA.

I guess you've never heard of money being the biggest factor when it comes to picking a team

mrspurs
10-04-2008, 08:11 PM
Mason will have to pull off a miracle to move directly into a starting job in the
spur's system. How many players have been able to do that with only a training camp for development?

And his first three years stats don't place him in the quick development pool of players.

A point many have overlooked. Look for the fins to start again.

mrspurs
10-04-2008, 08:12 PM
So you're saying players don't go to SA b/c Popovich yells? Are you fucking insane? I also love how you think people don't assume SA is a shoe in for a ring and that's why only foreign players like SA.

I guess you've never heard of money being the biggest factor when it comes to picking a team

You have no clue :lol

jack sommerset
10-05-2008, 01:34 PM
You have no clue :lol

I think he gets it. SA looks like a 3rd world country so the foriegn born players feel like they are at home.

mrspurs
10-05-2008, 05:13 PM
I think he gets it. SA looks like a 3rd world country so the foriegn born players feel like they are at home.

well said