PDA

View Full Version : Biden fact check: 22 lies

Aggie Hoopsfan
10-03-2008, 12:35 PM
http://campaignspot.nationalreview.com/post/?q=ZTVhMThlNjRkZGFlMmUwOWFkNDZkZjk0MzBiY2JiYmY=

The Biden Error/Lie/Hallucination List (UPDATED to 22)

Below, you’ll find a list of 14 “lies” Biden told last night, distributed by the McCain campaign. I’d just note two observations: first, when you tell stories of things that didn’t happen with the frequency of Joe Biden, coupled with his fervent belief of these untrue and inaccurate statements, I don’t think “lie” is the appropriate term. “Hallucinations” seems more accurate, I think. Second, they missed a bunch, so Biden’s list of li- er, hallucinations is well beyond 14.

THE CONSTITUTION: Biden: "Vice President Cheney's been the most dangerous vice president we've had probably in American history. He has — he has — the idea he doesn't realize that Article I of the Constitution defines the role of the vice president of the United States, that's the executive — he works in the executive branch. He should understand that. Everyone should understand that."

As noted by the McCain Camp, Article I of the Constitution does not, in fact, define the role of the Vice President of the United States. It defines the role of the legislative branch, otherwise known as the branch in which Joe Biden has served for the last 36 years.

[A reader writes in noting that Article I does mention the veep at one point — "The Vice President of the United States shall be President of the Senate, but shall have no Vote, unless they be equally divided." However, by describing the veep's role in the legislature, it doesn't really help Biden's claim that it "defines the role, that's the executive, he works in the executive branch."]

IRAQ-AFGHANISTAN SPENDING: Biden said that the U.S. spends more in Iraq in one month than it has in Afghanistan in six or seven years.

That figure is off by 2000 percent.

‘KICKED HEZBOLLAH OUT OF LEBANON’: Biden: When we kicked — along with France, we kicked Hezbollah out of Lebanon, I said, and Barack said, ‘Move NATO forces in there. Fill the vacuum, because if you don’t know — if you don’t, Hezbollah will control it.”

Reuters thinks he meant to refer to Syria, but I still don't think it would be accurate to say the U.S. kicked Syria out of Lebanon. The Lebanese kicked Syria out of Lebanon.

VIOLENCE AGAINST WOMEN ACT: Biden's statement that McCain voted against the Violence Against Women Act is accurate. But as Robert Byers notes, the Supreme Court ruled in United States v. Morrison, the Court ruled that much of Biden's law was an unconstitutional power grab by Congress of rights reserved to the states. Nobody voted against the WAWA because they support violence against women; they objected over constiutional concerns that a Supreme Court majority validated.

The McCain camp's list fourteen lies/hallucinations can be found here.

UPDATE: As I suspected, there are others.

RESTAURANT: "Look, all you have to do is go down Union Street with me in Wilmington or go to Katie's Restaurant or walk into Home Depot with me where I spend a lot of time and you ask anybody in there whether or not the economic and foreign policy of this administration has made them better off in the last eight years."

According to this Delaware site, Katie's Restaurant is no longer in business; locals remember it on Union Street 25 to 30 years ago.

ARMS CONTROL TREATY: Biden: "Number two, with regard to arms control and weapons, nuclear weapons require a nuclear arms control regime. John McCain voted against a Comprehensive Nuclear-Test-Ban Treaty that every Republican has supported."

I have no idea where Biden gets this "every Republican has supported" claim, as 49 other Republican senators voted 'no' with McCain.

When the roll was finally called on October 13, the resolution to ratify the CTBT (including the six safeguards that Daschle had submitted as an amendment) was defeated by a 51-48 vote with one abstention. (See the voting record.) Forty-four Democrats voted for ratification as did four Republicans: John Chafee (R-RI), James Jeffords (R-VT), Gordon Smith (R-OR) and Arlen Specter (R-PA). Fifty Republican senators and one independent (Robert Smith of New Hampshire) voted against ratification, and Senator Robert Byrd (D-WV) voted "present." The treaty fell 19 votes short of achieving the necessary two-thirds majority necessary for ratification.

WEST BANK ELECTIONS: Biden: President Bush insisted on elections in the West Bank, when I said, and others said, and Barack Obama said, 'Big mistake. Hamas will win. You'll legitimize them.'"

The Washington Post's Glenn Kessler notes that "Obama had been a senator for only a few days when the election took place, but if he made such statements, they did not appear in news reports or transcripts that are contained in the Nexis or Factiva databases."

PAKISTANI WEAPONS: "Pakistan already has nuclear weapons. Pakistan already has deployed nuclear weapons. Pakistan's weapons can already hit Israel and the Mediterranean."

I won't quite chalk this up as a lie/hallucination, but Biden is on shaky ground here. (See below.) The distance between Israel and Pakistan is 2,085 miles, or 3355 kilometers. The longest-range existing strategic missile in the Pakistani arsenal has a range of 3000 kilometers, but it might have longer range with a lighter payload. (But how much can you lighten a nuclear payload?) They are working on developing longer-range missiles; maybe Biden knows of some development that public sources do not yet know about. Theoretically, the Pakistanis could put the weapon on a boat and then sail it to the target, but by that standard, any site on a coast in the world is within their range.

ANOTHER UPDATE: This site indicates that the top range of Pakistani missile that can carry a nuclear warhead is 1000 miles. By being off by 1,000 or so, I'm now upgrading this to full lie/error/hallucination status.

pooh
10-03-2008, 04:06 PM
I'm not shocked, Biden looked lost out there last night, constantly repeating the "Obama" mantra over and over agian. MILF kicked his butt with her down home, "Reganesque" persona.

Granted, Biden got some sympthaty with that "Hillary" like emotion at the end, talking about his late wife and kids, but I can't be too hard on the man for that. However, he was trying for some last minute "dramatics" to save his sinking night

It's a shame there isn't another debate for them, I'd love to see MILF get another shot at him.

BRHornet45
10-03-2008, 04:11 PM
(waiting for JoeChalupa to come in here and justify the lies)

peewee's lovechild
10-03-2008, 04:16 PM
CNN has fact checks provided by non-partisan groups that have pointed out that McCain and Palin both provided a plethora of misleading and false statements.

You all should check them out.

BRHornet45
10-03-2008, 04:18 PM
CNN has fact checks

son thats where I stopped reading.

peewee's lovechild
10-03-2008, 04:18 PM
As for Biden looking "lost" . . . what the hell are you talking about??

Did you even see the debate?

Palin refused to answer questions. She dodged questions and played it off as folksy by saying "I'm not going to answer the way you or the moderator want me to".

What the hell was that?

Why even bother having a debate if you're not going to answer the moderator's questions? That firmly cemented how unprepared this woman is to run the country.

It's amazing that any of you would defend her.

peewee's lovechild
10-03-2008, 04:19 PM
son thats where I stopped reading.

Then, son, you will never be informed if you only read partisan sources.

But, whatever floats your boat.

ElNono
10-03-2008, 04:20 PM
... this McCain/Palin ad from the nationalreview.com ...

BRHornet45
10-03-2008, 04:20 PM
Then, son, you will never be informed if you only read partisan sources.

But, whatever floats your boat.

no son. but anything from CNN is out of the question because they have been in the tank for Obama since day 1.

peewee's lovechild
10-03-2008, 04:25 PM
no son. but anything from CNN is out of the question because they have been in the tank for Obama since day 1.

Yea, because Alex Castellanos, Leslie Sanchez, Bill Bennett, and Ed Rollins just love Obama and they speak so well of him on CNN.

You're an outright idiot, son.

But, if you're looking for NON-PARTISAN information as to who lied and mislead the American public and how many times they did it . . . check out the links that take you to the facts.

Or, you can stick with the National Review, since they aren't biased at all.

BRHornet45
10-03-2008, 04:27 PM
Yea, because Alex Castellanos, Leslie Sanchez, Bill Bennett, and Ed Rollins just love Obama and they speak so well of him on CNN.

You're an outright idiot, son.

But, if you're looking for NON-PARTISAN information as to who lied and mislead the American public and how many times they did it . . . check out the links that take you to the facts.

Or, you can stick with the National Review, since they aren't biased at all.

son you are the "outright idiot" to believe that CNN is not in favor of the Democratic party. they have pushed for Obama from the start. wake up fool.

clambake
10-03-2008, 04:29 PM
everybody needs to gear up for the inauguration!!!!!!

have you made plans yet?

George Gervin's Afro
10-03-2008, 05:15 PM
CNN has fact checks provided by non-partisan groups that have pointed out that McCain and Palin both provided a plethora of misleading and false statements.

You all should check them out.

You would have to an ounce of intellectual honesty to acknowledge Mcain and Palin's as well but we already know that. The resident conservtaives don't understand what intellectual honesty is.

George Gervin's Afro
10-03-2008, 05:17 PM

Come on, by now everyone should understand that any rightwing news source is gospel.

sook
10-03-2008, 05:19 PM
son you are the "outright idiot" to believe that CNN is not in favor of the Democratic party. they have pushed for Obama from the start. wake up fool.

your retarded, they have been right in the middle. They have analysts from both sides, when you turn to FOX it looks like combs with repub analysts and guliani on all sides.

BRHornet45
10-03-2008, 05:19 PM
your retarded, they have been right in the middle. They have analysts from both sides, when you turn to FOX it looks like combs with repub analysts and guliani on all sides.

lol at you son. CNN in the middle? LMAO ...

George Gervin's Afro
10-03-2008, 05:20 PM
I told my friends prior to the debate that Fox News would come out and say that Palin won the debate..:lol..didn't take them but 2 seconds..

George Gervin's Afro
10-03-2008, 05:21 PM

he's not retarded he's a hypocritical conservative!

BRHornet45
10-03-2008, 05:22 PM
I told my friends prior to the debate that Fox News would come out and say that Palin won the debate..:lol..didn't take them but 2 seconds..

son open your f'n eyes you moron .... what did CNN do? they already claimed Biden as the winner a week ago. you wanna talk about bias? it goes both ways douche bag. go back to your bong now please.

George Gervin's Afro
10-03-2008, 05:26 PM
son open your f'n eyes you moron .... what did CNN do? they already claimed Biden as the winner a week ago. you wanna talk about bias? it goes both ways douche bag. go back to your bong now please.

both ways? then you acknowledge that Palin and McCain have lied as well. Thanks for playing.

BRHornet45
10-03-2008, 05:29 PM
both ways? then you acknowledge that Palin and McCain have lied as well. Thanks for playing.

LOL at you again son. your stupidity is amazing! PLEASE learn how to read and comprehend before making idiotic assumptions. I suggest putting the bong down for a few minutes ... when I said it goes both ways, we were clearly talking about the bias in the media. dumbfuck liberals like YOURSELF always whine and cry about how Fox News leans to the right whenever it is basically the ONLY network that does .... yet it is perfectly fine with you that nearly ALL of the media leans to the left.

George Gervin's Afro
10-03-2008, 05:39 PM
LOL at you again son. your stupidity is amazing! PLEASE learn how to read and comprehend before making idiotic assumptions. I suggest putting the bong down for a few minutes ... when I said it goes both ways, we were clearly talking about the bias in the media. dumbfuck liberals like YOURSELF always whine and cry about how Fox News leans to the right whenever it is basically the ONLY network that does .... yet it is perfectly fine with you that nearly ALL of the media leans to the left.

I laugh alot when i watch fox news. it's pure comedy. Unlike you I don't listen or swallow everything I hear off the radio or television. son..

Lackluster
10-03-2008, 05:39 PM
plenty of misleading and false information on both sides. wouldn't have been much of a debate without it!

pretty even handed debate though imo. they traded shots, stuck to their guns, jabbed at differences between them and their presidential nominee counterparts... nothing groundbreaking really

although biden seemed to have a grasp on more topics and information and palin seemed limited to a moderate number of talking points - but given the backgrounds that makes sense, and it doesn't seem to be swaying any undecided opinions. biden showed his general understanding of the job he's been doing for so many years, and palin related her experience to what she could - and did so appropriately this time - no alaska/russia talk...

she had no where to go but up. biden just needed to not blurt out anything absurd.

successful vp debate that i don't think will sway things either way, thus hopefully putting the focus back on the front runners.

BRHornet45
10-03-2008, 05:40 PM
I laugh alot when i watch fox news. it's pure comedy. Unlike you I don't listen or swallow everything I hear off the radio or television. son..

LOL ... a silly, childish, liberal saying he does not swallow everything off the news! amazing. its ok son. go back to your bong and watching re-runs of the Colbert Report ... fair and balanced show there that you silly liberals worship!

George Gervin's Afro
10-03-2008, 05:45 PM
LOL ... a silly, childish, liberal saying he does not swallow everything off the news! amazing. its ok son. go back to your bong and watching re-runs of the Colbert Report ... fair and balanced show there that you silly liberals worship!

childish? your the idiot who brings up race whenever he can. makes fun of the way people look at insult ayone who disagrees with you. i doubt you grasp the irony..son..

BRHornet45
10-03-2008, 05:47 PM
childish? your the idiot who brings up race whenever he can. makes fun of the way people look at insult ayone who disagrees with you. i doubt you grasp the irony..son..

yep son I'm talking about you little one.

Aggie Hoopsfan
10-03-2008, 05:49 PM
Come on, by now everyone should understand that any rightwing news source is gospel.

I haven't seen a fact check for Palin yet, I'm sure she told a lie or two as well.

Instead of being such a fucking drama queen, why don't you find her fact check from last night?

George Gervin's Afro
10-03-2008, 05:49 PM
yep son I'm talking about you little one.

i feel dumber for corresponding with you.

Aggie Hoopsfan
10-03-2008, 05:50 PM

Kinda like Soledad doing the same on CNN (she called it a convincing Biden win), despite the audience members voting nearly 50-50 :rolleyes

clambake
10-03-2008, 05:52 PM
isn't it time we all come together and welcome the new president?

Spurtacus
10-03-2008, 05:53 PM
Both candidates lied on many issues. Debate was pointless.

George Gervin's Afro
10-03-2008, 05:58 PM
isn't it time we all come together and welcome the new president?

come on son. don't you know that obama guy is a commie..?

clambake
10-03-2008, 06:01 PM
come on son. don't you know that obama guy is a commie..?

jihadist fist bump

BRHornet45
10-03-2008, 06:09 PM
Yeah right... there was one lame chic that said she would vote for Mcain in that audience... AND DID YOU SEE HER ANSWER AS TO WHY??? WOW!!!

Solidad: And why would you vote for Mcain?

Guest: ugh, oh, ah, guh, he, plugh, uh, I just think hes better.

She is the perfect example of why you should have an IQ of 120 and above before you are allowed to vote, or atleast know how to balance the national budget.

fool!

cool hand
10-03-2008, 06:13 PM
http://campaignspot.nationalreview.com/post/?q=ZTVhMThlNjRkZGFlMmUwOWFkNDZkZjk0MzBiY2JiYmY=

they are all liars

clambake
10-03-2008, 06:13 PM
what am i'm sposed to do with all my lawn jockeys?

TomBrady
10-03-2008, 07:41 PM
sons this Hussein is a Muslim terrorist. a vote for him is a vote for Satan.

(notice the class I just showed)

BRHornet45
10-03-2008, 07:44 PM
sons this Hussein is a Muslim terrorist. a vote for him is a vote for Satan.

(notice the class I just showed)

son how is your ankle doing?

Crookshanks
10-03-2008, 08:19 PM
Yeah right... there was one lame chic that said she would vote for Mcain in that audience... AND DID YOU SEE HER ANSWER AS TO WHY??? WOW!!!

Solidad: And why would you vote for Mcain?

Guest: ugh, oh, ah, guh, he, plugh, uh, I just think hes better.

She is the perfect example of why you should have an IQ of 120 and above before you are allowed to vote, or atleast know how to balance the national budget.

Well that would disqualify a pretty big chunk of the Obama supporters. You know, the lazy idiots who sit around all day living off welfare, the people in New Orleans who were too dumb to get out of the way of a major hurricane, all the drunks and homeless people who are being bussed to the polls in Ohio by the Obama camp... should I go on?

Yonivore
10-03-2008, 08:24 PM
“Can I respond? Look, all you have to do is go down Union Street with me in Wilmington or go to Katie’s Restaurant or walk into Home Depot with me where I spend a lot of time and you ask anybody in there whether or not the economic and foreign policy of this administration has made them better off in the last eight years.”

http://michellemalkin.cachefly.net/michellemalkin.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2008/10/1ajoedepot.jpg

Delaware Online (http://www.delawareonline.com/blogs/secondhelpings/2008/10/joe-gives-delaware-shout-outs.html)

“During the debate, Joe Biden gave several Delaware shout-outs, including Wilmington’s Union Street… Maybe, I heard this wrong, or misunderstood, but I think he mentioned Katie’s restaurant…… Wilmington used to have a Katie’s restaurant - way back in the day - and it was in Little Italy, as is Union Street, but I’m almost positive Katie’s wasn’t on Union Street. And it hasn’t been Katie’s in, well, years. Maybe he said Kozy’s - as in Kozy Korner?”

Folks, 66 million people watched the debate, Neilsen reports many of the highest ratings were in swing state markets. America got a look at Sarah Palin -- in spite of Gwen Ifill's best drunken efforts -- without the media filter.

They also got to see Joe "Six Pack" Biden.

The guy is a natural born liar.

Warlord23
10-03-2008, 08:28 PM
Well that would disqualify a pretty big chunk of the Obama supporters. You know, the lazy idiots who sit around all day living off welfare, the people in New Orleans who were too dumb to get out of the way of a major hurricane, all the drunks and homeless people who are being bussed to the polls in Ohio by the Obama camp... should I go on?

If you want to make broad generalizations about the Democratic voter base, then why don't you complete the tripe by characterizing the Republican base? Republicans are:
- Semi-educated / less educated
- Senile and out of touch
- White trash
- Racists / white supremacists
- Religious nut-jobs
- Warmongers

Wild Cobra
10-03-2008, 08:42 PM
Well, I was told about three years ago that Fact Check has a liberal bias. I never saw any clear evidence util now. They do a good job of explaining the things they list, but wow...

The missed so many things Biden said wrong.

Chery picking the facts, like any other pundit. They are just better at being sly about it.

Nbadan
10-03-2008, 10:09 PM
Factchecking Sarah Palin...

wcIQrHG3gN0