PDA

View Full Version : NBA's top 10 by Mike Kahn

jalberto
10-03-2008, 03:45 PM
FoxSports: Ranking by NBA writer Mike Kahn

NBA's top 10 shooting guards: 4- Manu Ginóbili (http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/pgStory?contentId=8579760#sport=NBA&photo=8580540)

NBA's top 10 point guards: 3- Tony Parker (http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/pgStory?contentId=8549286#sport=NBA&photo=8549194)

NBA's top 10 power forwards: 1- Tim Duncan (http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/pgStory?contentId=8635416#sport=NBA&photo=8634898)

IronMexican
10-03-2008, 03:48 PM
Pau 10? Riculous. He is above Tawn, and Boozer. Rest is good though.

AnotherArgie
10-03-2008, 03:52 PM
Amare at 3rd is a joke.

duncan228
10-03-2008, 03:56 PM
NBA's top 10 power forwards: 1- Tim Duncan (http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/pgStory?contentId=8635416#sport=NBA&photo=8634898)

:) :smokin

Tim Duncan, San Antonio Spurs
Yes, Duncan really is 32 years old, and he has seemingly had more uncharacteristically ineffective offensive games than in the past, but let's face it -- he averaged 19.3 points, 11.3 rebounds and 2.0 blocks during the regular season. He averaged 20.2 rebounds, 14.5 rebounds and 2.1 blocks in the postseason. Is there really anybody else you'd rather have at power forward than Duncan? There are always those who prefer Garnett, but Garnett just doesn't control the issue the same way Duncan does. The bank shot is still sweet, the foul shooting can sometimes fail horribly, but the world still revolves around him. Because Tony Parker and Manu Ginobili have picked up their scoring, he doesn't have to score as much and can contribute in other ways. Too bad he chooses to condescend to the media instead of showing his personality. He'd be appreciated a lot more by the masses.

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x282/duncan228/temp%20duncan/number1.jpg

1Parker1
10-03-2008, 03:56 PM
Manu's been getting a lot of love recently....:lol :)

1Parker1
10-03-2008, 03:59 PM
BTW, AI at #6 before guys like Richard Hamilton? :lol :wow And McGrady as the 3rd best SG in the league makes no sense.

mrspurs
10-03-2008, 04:22 PM
:) :smokin

Tim Duncan, San Antonio Spurs
Yes, Duncan really is 32 years old, and he has seemingly had more uncharacteristically ineffective offensive games than in the past, but let's face it -- he averaged 19.3 points, 11.3 rebounds and 2.0 blocks during the regular season. He averaged 20.2 rebounds, 14.5 rebounds and 2.1 blocks in the postseason. Is there really anybody else you'd rather have at power forward than Duncan? There are always those who prefer Garnett, but Garnett just doesn't control the issue the same way Duncan does. The bank shot is still sweet, the foul shooting can sometimes fail horribly, but the world still revolves around him. Because Tony Parker and Manu Ginobili have picked up their scoring, he doesn't have to score as much and can contribute in other ways. Too bad he chooses to condescend to the media instead of showing his personality. He'd be appreciated a lot more by the masses.

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x282/duncan228/temp%20duncan/number1.jpg

Without a doubt Timmy still is better then any PF in the NBA today. But what good does it do to have the best PF in the game without a center or a backup big who can help him. As of now Timmy will be left out to hang by himself again by Fab and Kurt. Its to bad the FO hasnt been able to find Tim some help. Tim cant do it alone and not manu or tp is gonna make much difference when it comes to controlling the paint.

The Franchise
10-03-2008, 04:37 PM
BTW, AI at #6 before guys like Richard Hamilton? :lol :wow And McGrady as the 3rd best SG in the league makes no sense.

I know you may not like T-mac and he is soft, but your statement makes no sense. He is a whiney puss who is always injured and lazy and is still one of the best. Just imagine if he really tried. :wow

duncan228
10-03-2008, 05:02 PM
Without a doubt Timmy still is better then any PF in the NBA today. But what good does it do to have the best PF in the game without a center or a backup big who can help him. As of now Timmy will be left out to hang by himself again by Fab and Kurt. Its to bad the FO hasnt been able to find Tim some help. Tim cant do it alone and not manu or tp is gonna make much difference when it comes to controlling the paint.

Duncan won in '05 and '07 with Nazr, Rasho, Elson, and Oberto. Oh, and Ely and Massenburg and Butler.

I hope Thomas can help more with the system under his belt. You make it sound like it's hopeless, I don't see it that way at all. Don't under-estimate Duncan, he makes everyone around him better.

Typhoon
10-03-2008, 05:08 PM
Manu's been getting a lot of love recently....:lol :)

What’s so funny? you don’t think Manu it's top 10?

I personally think he's where he rightfully deserves to be and he's getting the respect he deserves... nothing funny about it.

dirk4mvp
10-03-2008, 06:57 PM
And McGrady as the 3rd best SG in the league makes no sense.

Who's better that's below him on the list?

dirk4mvp
10-03-2008, 06:58 PM
oh wait nevermind, i forgot where i was.

Manufan909
10-03-2008, 07:00 PM
What, The Big Fundmanental isn't condescending, the media just fuccking blows. And te media loves Shaq, so they don't have high standards.

Spurs Brazil
10-03-2008, 07:02 PM
I think those are good rankings

dirk4mvp
10-03-2008, 07:06 PM
also, jamison > boozer

T Park
10-03-2008, 07:17 PM

I think everyone knows this, but I'm sure the Spurs would say the same thing in that, "Where are these plug and play centers that will come in right away?"

Splitter was the guy unfortunately, mfer :pctoss

timtonymanu
10-03-2008, 07:24 PM
the last two lines of duncan's description was dumb. the media just sucks ass.

duncan228
10-03-2008, 07:30 PM
the last two lines of duncan's description was dumb. the media just sucks ass.

Ignore it. The ones that don't appreciate his personality haven't paid attention.

The Franchise
10-03-2008, 07:41 PM
Ignore it. The ones that don't appreciate his personality haven't paid attention.

This league can use a few more people like him. Maybe then the police blotter could get a break.

duncan228
10-03-2008, 09:12 PM
This league can use a few more people like him. Maybe then the police blotter could get a break.

The league sure could use more like him.

I respect Duncan's choices in what he endorses and how fiercly he protects his and his family's privacy off the court. But I've always thought the league has missed an opportunity to market him better. He does great things for kids with his character program, and his Foundation has done wonderful things for the fight against cancer.

There's got to be ways to market a player that doesn't have an overblown ego and a police record.

GSH
10-03-2008, 10:32 PM

If you're evaluating players stand-alone, 6 may be too low for AI. He may not make for a winning team, but he's a damned good shooting guard. He's given the Spurs a hard time on many a night.

He's also a tough little bastard. I've watched him roll an ankle so badly that I thought he would be out a month, then lace up his shoes really tight and go back on the floor. Say what you want about him personally - but if you like watching basketball, I don't see how you can dismiss AI.

Admiral
10-04-2008, 12:10 AM
If you're evaluating players stand-alone, 6 may be too low for AI. He may not make for a winning team, but he's a damned good shooting guard. He's given the Spurs a hard time on many a night.

He's also a tough little bastard. I've watched him roll an ankle so badly that I thought he would be out a month, then lace up his shoes really tight and go back on the floor. Say what you want about him personally - but if you like watching basketball, I don't see how you can dismiss AI.

I agree, he plays hard. No question about that. And I do enjoy watching him play. But it's also frustrating to watch a guy shoot such a lousy percentage from the field most nights. It's great to score 25 points, but not when you have to go 11-29 from the field to do it.

P.S. It's incredible that we have three players ranked in the top 5 of their respective positions - all on the same team and all in their primes. In the early 90's, we had DRob (clearly a top 5 center) but nobody else anywhere close to being a top 5 player at their position. Elliott might have been a top 10 small forward a couple of years, but definitely not top 5. Avery would probably not have been considered top 10. Rodman wouldn't have been either.

dirk4mvp
10-04-2008, 12:42 AM
The league sure could use more like him.

I respect Duncan's choices in what he endorses and how fiercly he protects his and his family's privacy off the court. But I've always thought the league has missed an opportunity to market him better. He does great things for kids with his character program, and his Foundation has done wonderful things for the fight against cancer.

There's got to be ways to market a player that doesn't have an overblown ego and a police record.

Duncan's not the only player in the league who does things for charities. There's a few Maverick "assholes" who alot of spur fans won't hesitate to call bitches who do the same thing Duncan does.

Duncan isn't marketed like he could be because that's his personal choice. Not because the league looks over him.

duncan228
10-04-2008, 01:36 AM
Duncan's not the only player in the league who does things for charities. There's a few Maverick "assholes" who alot of spur fans won't hesitate to call bitches who do the same thing Duncan does.

Duncan isn't marketed like he could be because that's his personal choice. Not because the league looks over him.

There are plenty of players who do wonderful things for charities, I was using it as an example of something the league could have focused on in Duncan's case that may have been palatable for him.

I didn't say the league looks over him, I said they could have done more to market him. And I know that he prefers to be out of the spotlight. But there might have been ways to mesh Duncan's preferences with the league's marketing.

And there are Spurs fans that don't slam the Mavs.

mrspurs
10-04-2008, 08:14 AM
Duncan won in '05 and '07 with Nazr, Rasho, Elson, and Oberto. Oh, and Ely and Massenburg and Butler.

I hope Thomas can help more with the system under his belt. You make it sound like it's hopeless, I don't see it that way at all. Don't under-estimate Duncan, he makes everyone around him better.

I fully understand your point. My question is why arent they still playing with the spurs. Because someone decided they werent good enough? And hoping on Kurt to help tim out? Why, we already had elson and orberto who like you said proved to be championship teammates. And your list of players, which one is shorter and slower then Kurt? Look at the rest of the west and their bigs, then look at ours. Heck just look in our division's bigs, then look at ours. As of right now they're better. And answer me this, why did we get killed in the paint game after game and still win? Ill tell ya why, because we shot more 3 point shots then ever. Teams are gonna allow that when you have noone to rebound other then timmy. To live and die from beyond the arc isnt the way we won championships. We tried and died like that last season. Imo the player who killed our championship was Shaq. For whatever reason when the suns grabbed Shaq every team in the west went crazy trying to match the suns bigs. I hated seeing elson go in exchange for kurt. They brought in kurt to stop the suns, but forgot about NO where he sat most of the time and they forgot about LA where he sat most of the time. When kurt sits it gives the spurs bigs no rest. It was basically timmy all by himself. And in the end timmy was too tired and frustrated. Thats a fact. If the FO thinks they can get away with cheap bigs they've learned from last season I hope, its not gonna work. They shoulda never brought in kurt. Noway he helps the spurs go all the way. And why we still have Fab is because manu is here. Fab is one of the biggest choke artists the spurs have ever had. Those are facts not hopes. And btw since 05 and 07 we're the only team that hasnt improved much, while the rest have alot. And that my friend pisses me off. Im a spursfan always will be. And it pisses me off when we get beat just like every spursfan. What I am not is a cheerleader, Ill hold every spurs accountable for their sloppy play or coaching. Cheerleading is for girls and college boys.

Darrin
10-04-2008, 08:31 AM
Shooting Guards:

1. Kobe Bryant
2. Richard Hamilton
3. Dwyane Wade
4. Joe Johnson
5. Tracy McGrady
6. Leandro Barbosa
7. Manu Ginobili
8. Allen Iverson
9. Jamal Crawford
10. Vince Carter

1Parker1
10-04-2008, 08:33 AM
Who's better that's below him on the list?

Yea, I'd go there...Manu is >>>, I'd even put Richard Hamilton before him. How can the 3rd best SG in the league be someone who on average misses about 20 games a season, and has yet to take whatever team he's on out of the first round in the playoffs????? :wtf

Darrin
10-04-2008, 08:42 AM
Point Guards:
1. Deron Williams
2. Chris Paul
3. Baron Davis
4. Steve Nash
5. Chauncey Billups
6. Tony Parker
7. Andre Miller
8. Jason Kidd
9. Jose Chalderon
10. Kirk Hinrich

m33p0
10-04-2008, 08:45 AM
Shooting Guards:

1. Kobe Bryant
2. Richard Hamilton
3. Dwyane Wade
4. Joe Johnson
5. Tracy McGrady >arguable. i argue... not!
6. Leandro Barbosa
7. Manu Ginobili
8. Allen Iverson
9. Jamal Crawford
10. Vince Carter
:wow

Darrin
10-04-2008, 08:50 AM
Power Forwards:
1. Tim Duncan
2. Kevin Garnett
3. Carlos Boozer
4. Dirk Nowitzki
5. Pau Gasol
6. LaMarcus Aldridge
7. Amare Stoudemire
8. Al Harrington
9. Elton Brand
10. David West

SpurSupremacist
10-04-2008, 09:10 AM
Pau 10? Riculous. He is above Tawn, and Boozer. Rest is good though.

Above Boozer? Not.

dirk4mvp
10-04-2008, 11:12 AM
Power Forwards:
1. Tim Duncan
2. Kevin Garnett
3. Carlos Boozer
4. Dirk Nowitzki
5. Pau Gasol
6. LaMarcus Aldridge
7. Amare Stoudemire
8. Al Harrington
9. Elton Brand
10. David West

:lmao

stop while you're behind.

dirk4mvp
10-04-2008, 11:13 AM
Yea, I'd go there...Manu is >>>, I'd even put Richard Hamilton before him. How can the 3rd best SG in the league be someone who on average misses about 20 games a season, and has yet to take whatever team he's on out of the first round in the playoffs????? :wtf

while he hasn't taken a team out of the first round, his playoff stats prove that he's never been the main reason why his team didn't advance.

The Franchise
10-04-2008, 11:29 AM

I like Manu and Rip but you have bumped your head hard if you think either is better than McGrady. I've said before that if you put either in McGradys role the team would be much worse. There is nobody in the league that sees the kind of double and triple teams on a nightly basis that Tracy does. Well this year that will be rectified, because if you bring that pressure now get ready to pay. With the necessary help provided I expect this year to be pretty easy for Mcgrady relatively speaking that is.