PDA

View Full Version : McDonald: The Rookie And The Shot Doc

duncan228
10-03-2008, 09:15 PM
Jeff McDonald: The rookie and the shot doc (http://blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblogs/courtside/archives/2008/10/jeff_mcdonald_t_19.html)

Back in June, when the Spurs made an unknown point guard from a little-known college the 26th pick in the NBA draft, they explained the pick this way:

George Hill can play in the NBA. And he can play in the NBA right now.

Then, Hill went to Las Vegas with the Spurs' summer league team and made 2-of-25 field goals in his first three games.

The Spurs aren't panicking about Hill's errant summer. In fact, they seem to have the perfect prescription: Chip Engelland.

Hill, the rookie from IUPUI, has been spending a good portion of his first NBA training camp with Engelland, the Spurs assistant credited with re-making Tony Parker's shot.

At one recent practice, Engelland had Hill standing a few feet from the basket, shooting one-handed set shots in an attempt to polish up the point guard's form.

"It's tough when you've been shooting the same way for several years," Hill said after Friday morning's workout. "I'll just have to keep working on it. Every day, I'm going to get better and better."

Hill characterized his work with Engelland as a "tune up" for his shooting form. He averaged 21.5 points per game as a senior at IUPUI, so he obviously knew how to put the ball in the basket before he showed up in San Antonio.

There's still a chance he might end up at Austin to start the season, but team insiders say that chance is remote.

The Spurs, for the most part, have pooh-poohed Hill's uneven performance over the summer. He was probably a bit overwhelmed with learning the Spurs' offense, and wound up thinking too much.

Besides, the Spurs say, Hill already defends well enough to contribute at the NBA level. They'd just like him to be able to provide a bit of offense while he's on the floor.

Hence, his work with the Spurs' resident shot doctor.

Hill, for his part, has been open to any and all suggestions from Engelland.

"It's nice to see results when I start hitting shots," Hill said.

Manufan909
10-03-2008, 09:29 PM
I hope can improve him enough to where even Pop can see Vaughn is obselete.

Solid D
10-03-2008, 10:01 PM
Will Hill be too tight like Corey Brewer was in Minnesota his rookie season or will he play loose and confident? He showed a nose for the ball and the ability to make plays in SL, so maybe Chip will help George's confidence in his shot.

Obstructed_View
10-03-2008, 10:04 PM
Re-making Parker's shot was a project that was years in the making. I seem to recall them saying that you get worse before you get better. I sort of hope that's not what they are doing with George right out of the gate.

Ice009
10-03-2008, 10:17 PM
I thought Hill was a good shooter and had summer league jitters trying to learn a new position? I didn't realize that he needed to work on his shot with Chip.

I hope Hill is on the roster to start the season like the article states. I don't really want him in Austin at all. He's already shown that he can play defense so all he needs to do is keep working on that with Pop to learn the Spurs system. As for his offense I think that will come around once he gets his confidence going.

ChuckD
10-03-2008, 11:00 PM
If he beats out Vaughn, he'll be in SA. If he's third string, the only way to get minutes and learn the system will be on the Toros. It sounds like they think he can beat out Vaughn. It also doesn't sound like Chip is tearing apart his shot, a la Parker, if they're describing it as a tune up. The boy absolutely bombed it from downtown in D-one ball.

ducks
10-03-2008, 11:08 PM
he will be in sa
to work with chip

ducks
10-03-2008, 11:08 PM
oh and tp has to teach him tear drop

dbestpro
10-04-2008, 07:25 AM
Having this guy on the NBA roster to start the season is just plain stubborn and stupid. He needs as much time at the point as possible and in the Spurs system. He can get that at the Toros. He will not get that on the Spurs bench. Also, the last thing we need right now is another off shot contributor to the stagnet offense. If he stays with the NBA team for the whole year he will be out of the league in 3-4 years. If he is given the chance to learn for at least half the year he could potentially have a very long NBA career.

Manu-of-steel
10-04-2008, 07:44 AM
Having this guy on the NBA roster to start the season is just plain stubborn and stupid. He needs as much time at the point as possible and in the Spurs system. He can get that at the Toros. He will not get that on the Spurs bench. Also, the last thing we need right now is another off shot contributor to the stagnet offense. If he stays with the NBA team for the whole year he will be out of the league in 3-4 years. If he is given the chance to learn for at least half the year he could potentially have a very long NBA career.
i would rather see hill playing than see jack vaughn in the pg position. i think hill, on the long-term would be good for the team. he has an above average defense, and if he developed his offense, then we have a back up for tony

Biernutz
10-04-2008, 07:53 AM
Looks like the spurs are planning to carry three at point. With no Manu or Brent at backup for point, it looks like Hill will be a lock to stay with the team.

mrspurs
10-04-2008, 07:53 AM
Engelland hasnt done much for improving TP's shot. Imo TP had a better shot when he first joined the spurs. He lost his tear drop, and he should be coached on passing the ball. We have enough guys who love missing shots already.

Spurs Brazil
10-04-2008, 07:56 AM
Engelland hasnt done much for improving TP's shot. Imo TP had a better shot when he first joined the spurs. He lost his tear drop, and he should be coached on passing the ball. We have enough guys who love missing shots already.

I think TP improved a lot, like 100%

Biernutz
10-04-2008, 08:06 AM
TP now has a nice outside shot that he didn't have a rookie. Chip helped him with that shot so defenses have to be honest with him and just can't just sit back and wait on him to come to the lane.

TDMVPDPOY
10-04-2008, 08:56 AM
dude if his that good, he should make tp obsolete

Solid D
10-04-2008, 09:04 AM

What is up with that? Is today "Opposite Day"?

benefactor
10-04-2008, 09:08 AM
What is up with that? Is today "Opposite Day"?
Must've forgot to take his meds this morning.

ChuckD
10-04-2008, 09:20 AM

Tony could not make a shot while moving, like off a pick and roll, to save his life before working with Chip. That's why we lost the 2004 Lakers series. Phil just dared him to shoot, and doubled the "roll" guy. You might also want to go re-watch the 2007 Finals and see him missing all those shots. :lol

SenorSpur
10-04-2008, 09:38 AM
Even though he's a rookie and working on perfecting his shot, could he be any worse of an offensive liability than Jacque Vaughn is now?

polandprzem
10-04-2008, 09:43 AM
At one recent practice, Engelland had Hill standing a few feet from the basket, shooting one-handed set shots in an attempt to polish up the point guard's form

You see, everything you do it's about being polish!

btw. I also hope they are not trying to retool his shot, just make some few little changes to fit him into the system and how to settle himself positioning.

polandprzem
10-04-2008, 09:44 AM
Even though he's a rookie and working on perfecting his shot, could he be any worse of an offensive liability than Jacque Vaughn is now?

Don't think so.

MrChug
10-04-2008, 11:47 AM
According to all the reports, Vaughn looks great in training camp so far...

Indazone
10-04-2008, 11:59 AM
Hill just needs to go against Tony Parker in practice.

wildbill2u
10-04-2008, 12:30 PM
I'd say that practicing one hand set shots from a few feet away from the basket is a pretty good indication that they are starting to remake his shot from scratch.

tav1
10-04-2008, 12:54 PM

I'll bite.

No.

tav1
10-04-2008, 12:55 PM
According to all the reports, Vaughn looks great in training camp so far...

Whose reports? Where?

tav1
10-04-2008, 12:56 PM
I'd say that practicing one hand set shots from a few feet away from the basket is a pretty good indication that they are starting to remake his shot from scratch.

That's not true at all.

anakha
10-04-2008, 01:57 PM
Engelland hasnt done much for improving TP's shot. Imo TP had a better shot when he first joined the spurs. He lost his tear drop

:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao

This is a new low in insanely stupid arguments, even for you.

Obstructed_View
10-04-2008, 02:05 PM

Not necessarily. The drill is designed to make sure you use the correct form consistently. If his form was good, but not all the time, then it's just a tweak. If his form was completely different, then it's a re-make.

Bruno
10-04-2008, 03:47 PM
There's still a chance he might end up at Austin to start the season, but team insiders say that chance is remote.

Good news.

ChumpDumper
10-04-2008, 03:55 PM
The Toros don't start until after Thanksgiving, so he'll have plenty of time with the Spurs before they have to make that decision.

td4mvp21
10-04-2008, 04:38 PM
At least he's not for certain going to Austin.

timvp
10-05-2008, 04:46 AM
There's still a chance he might end up at Austin to start the season, but team insiders say that chance is remote.McDonald actually has access to team insiders this year? That'd be pretty damn good news. Right now, the Spurs are the worst covered team in the NBA because no one can break their secret vow of silence without being threatened . . .

Regarding Hill, it'd be interesting to know whether Pop is still highly optimistic about him. After the draft, Pop acted like they just drafted Tim Duncan's little brother. If he opens the season as the backup point guard I would be surprised, even though I think it's probably the right move.

MrChug
10-05-2008, 11:38 AM
Whose reports? Where?

I have a close friend who has been giving me updates from training camp. Said he looks amazing, is knocking down everything, and is always getting praise from the coaching staff in discussions.

Ice009
10-05-2008, 10:05 PM
I have a close friend who has been giving me updates from training camp. Said he looks amazing, is knocking down everything, and is always getting praise from the coaching staff in discussions.

Who are you referring to Hill? That's awesome to hear. I don't want the Spurs messing with Hill's shot because I think he's a good shooter, just needs to adjust to the NBA game and get his confidence going.

What else has your friend said? How do the other new guys look? Mason?

Drom John
10-06-2008, 06:43 AM
Right now, the Spurs are the worst covered team in the NBA . . . .

:nope Here in Middle Georgia, I know that the Spurs are covered much better than the Hawks, and from a week in Portland for a conference, I found The Oregonian to make the Atlanta Journal-Constitution coverage look competent.

The Express is no worse than 28th. But from this distance where I can see the forest, and from what I've seen on the web, the Express is in the top half of the league, in the 10-15 range.

[The AJC does cover the Braves and Falcons very well, but cover the Trasher worse than the Hawks.]