PDA

View Full Version : McDonald: Spurs' Udoka Getting Chance To Contribute

duncan228
10-04-2008, 12:21 AM
Spurs' Udoka getting chance to contribute (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/30456599.html)
Jeff McDonald - Express-News

It is not difficult to identify players amid their first training camp with the Spurs.

They all bear the same telltale marks: Eyes glassed over, brows furrowed, their faces twisted into the confused expression of a perpetually perplexed game-show contestant.

Ime Udoka recognizes that look. At this time last year, he saw it everyday in the mirror.

“Last year, I was unfamiliar with the all the plays, all the schemes — everything,” said Udoka, a 6-foot-6 swingman set to begin his second season in San Antonio. “It takes a while to get stuff under your belt and get comfortable.”

There is a prevalent notion — part myth, part reality — that players tend to flourish in their second season with the Spurs.

Udoka, the only second-year Spur on this year's roster, is looking forward to putting that theory to the test.

His opportunity should come quickly. With Manu Ginobili out until December and newcomer Roger Mason Jr. enduring that inevitable first-year learning curve, Udoka is in line for an expanded role to start the season.

Udoka averaged 5.8 points in his inaugural campaign with the Spurs, but seemed to hit another gear after the All-Star break. He shone especially bright in the Western Conference semifinals against New Orleans, a series in which he emerged as the Spurs' best reserve.

“There were times when he'd be more aggressive, and where he'd feel more comfortable at the offensive end of the court,” Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said. “He found his place, and found his territory, and he wanted to exert what he can do.”

It took Udoka a while to get to that point.

After signing a free-agent deal with the Spurs last summer, simultaneously surrendering a starting gig with his hometown Portland Trail Blazers, Udoka experienced what many first-year students of Popovich's system had before him.

Namely, lots of sitting and lots of watching.

Udoka averaged little more than nine minutes a game through the first month of the season, and took four DNPs.

It was certainly a change of pace for Udoka, who signed with the Spurs in the summer after starting 75 games in Portland the season before.

“Pop isn't going to play guys until they're comfortable,” said Udoka, who is entering his fifth NBA season at age 31. “I heard that a lot coming in, that I was going to have to be patient and bide my time.”

It was out of necessity — with Ginobili and Brent Barry both nursing injuries in December — that Popovich finally looked his way.

He responded by stringing together a handful of solid games. By the second half of the season, when Ginobili got hurt again and Barry was on league-imposed sabbatical after a February trade to Seattle, Udoka was ready.

The brightest moments of Udoka's first season with the Spurs came in the second-round playoff series against the Hornets, in which he averaged 11.3 points and 21.4 minutes over the final four games.

“I think Ime really blossomed during the playoffs,” Bruce Bowen said. “That's what you want for guys who don't really get an opportunity during the regular season. You want them to be able to make an impact, and he did.”

There was no secret to Udoka's second-half surge. He simply knew what he was doing, and was getting the minutes to prove it.

“It was just me going out there and playing, and understanding everything,” Udoka said.

Udoka's goal for his second season in San Antonio is two-fold. First, he aims to pick up where he left off in the playoffs last season.

Popovich believes he will.

“Most people have more of an understanding of the program in the second season,” Popovich said. “I think he'll feel a lot more comfortable in a variety of situations.”

Udoka's second objective is to help guide the handful of the newest Spurs — guys like Mason, Salim Stoudamire, George Hill and Anthony Tolliver — through the same training-camp minefield he navigated last season.

“I'm just trying to help the new guys who are going through what I went through,” Udoka said.

He believes that he can.

“They'll be all right,” Udoka said. “Everybody catches on eventually.”

Udoka is living proof of that.

carina_gino20
10-04-2008, 01:36 AM
I'm quite excited for Ime this season. No more first year jitters. I hope it really comes out well for him. It could only mean good things for the Spurs.

Spurs Brazil
10-04-2008, 07:54 AM
I think Ime, Finley and Mason will have minutes with Manu out. The one who plays better will have to still het those when he comeback. Ime needs to start strong to stay in rotation

Biernutz
10-04-2008, 08:02 AM
Ime has had time to learn the system. With Manu out will Ime now be the first off the bench or still Bowen's backup? I would think that Finn will start the game and Ime will come in at the 7-8 minute mark like Manu did.

mrspurs
10-04-2008, 08:03 AM
Udoka is good for only one thing. He can give players rest. When udoka in on the court it isnt like when brent or finley were on the court. Both brent and mike were sorry defenders. If they couldnt make their shots we were getting blown out, and manu and bruce were not getting enough rest. I dont expect udoka to become a scoring machine. After all both him and bruce can drive to the basket at will because teams let them. Teams know they cant make layups only 3 point shots. But they can both play great D. Something the spurs lacked all season long, and mostly in the PO's.

BronxCowboy
10-04-2008, 08:25 AM
Spurs' Udoka getting chance to contribute (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/30456599.html)
Jeff McDonald - Express-News
Udoka, the only second-year Spur on this year's roster, is looking forward to putting that theory to the test.

http://www.nba.com/media/act_ian_mahinmi.jpghttp://www.nba.com/media/act_kurt_thomas.jpg

1Parker1
10-04-2008, 08:40 AM
http://www.nba.com/media/act_ian_mahinmi.jpghttp://www.nba.com/media/act_kurt_thomas.jpg

Neither have played a FULL season under the Spurs. Thomas wasn't at training camp last season, so this is technically his first training camp with the Spurs. And as for Mahinmi, he has yet to play with the Spurs throughout the season regularly or even in the playoffs with the Spurs, he can't be considered a 2nd year player.

benefactor
10-04-2008, 08:49 AM
I am really expecting big things out of Udoka this year...especially early on. He is arguably our most important role player off the bench while Manu is out. His ability to make shots during our offensive slumps and play good defense is going to be critical to our success through the first 25 games.

bigdog
10-04-2008, 10:06 AM
I like how idiot McDonald lists Udoka as 6-6.

He's 6-5.

Mr.Bottomtooth
10-04-2008, 10:09 AM
And as for Mahinmi, he has yet to play with the Spurs throughout the season regularly or even in the playoffs with the Spurs, he can't be considered a 2nd year player.

So then what do you consider him? He was on the Spurs' roster all of last year, yet he's not a 2nd year player?

Cant_Be_Faded
10-04-2008, 10:31 AM
I sure hope Udoka got faster and more explosive.

exstatic
10-04-2008, 11:42 AM
it'd be great if he wasn't 30 years old anymore!

Then it's great! He's 31!

wildbill2u
10-04-2008, 12:36 PM
Ime has had time to learn the system. With Manu out will Ime now be the first off the bench or still Bowen's backup? I would think that Finn will start the game and Ime will come in at the 7-8 minute mark like Manu did.

we may see Ime getting more time at sg along with Finley unless Mason makes a miracle job of learning the Spur's system in camp--which hasn't happened very often before. We are going to have some very raw players on the team who will have to step up to get minutes.

tav1
10-04-2008, 01:01 PM
we may see Ime getting more time at sg along with Finley unless Mason makes a miracle job of learning the Spur's system in camp--which hasn't happened very often before. We are going to have some very raw players on the team who will have to step up to get minutes.

Then who plays behind Bruce?

I'm not ruling out the possibility of Udoka and Mason starting.

It's too early to know. Let's see what preseason brings, aside from a Rocket injury.

exstatic
10-04-2008, 02:29 PM
Mason comes from a team that runs a motion offense, so his learning curve will more or less be terminology and defense. I can see him having an impact WAY earlier in the season than Ime did last year.

tav1
10-04-2008, 02:34 PM
Mason comes from a team that runs a motion offense, so his learning curve will more or less be terminology and defense. I can see him having an impact WAY earlier in the season than Ime did last year.

Right. And Ime had to find minutes after Barry and Bowen. Mason has lucked into a situation of an injured Manu and a decomposing Finley.

Something else Mason has in his favor: his ball handling could allow Parker to play off the ball more often, something Pop likes to do from time to time. But unlike last season when Parker would play off ball with JV or (Not So) Mighty Mouse, defenses will have to respect Mason's offense.

Das Texan
10-04-2008, 03:00 PM
glad to see mcdonald hasnt improved any in the offseason.

HarlemHeat37
10-04-2008, 03:02 PM
Ime was very solid vs. New Orleans, and that's what I'm expecting from him this year..he's a very solid defender and he makes open shots..he's not as good as a prime Bowen, but not many role players are..

the best thing about Ime is his toughness though..that's something a lot of our players lack, so it was good having guys like Ime and Kurt last year..both tough guys that don't get shook..

Spurs Brazil
10-04-2008, 03:28 PM
Ime was very solid vs. New Orleans, and that's what I'm expecting from him this year..he's a very solid defender and he makes open shots..he's not as good as a prime Bowen, but not many role players are..

the best thing about Ime is his toughness though..that's something a lot of our players lack, so it was good having guys like Ime and Kurt last year..both tough guys that don't get shook..

He was very good against NO but very bad in LA series.

He needs to start strong to get minutes when Manu comeback

kobe_bryant
10-04-2008, 04:15 PM
So then what do you consider him? He was on the Spurs' roster all of last year, yet he's not a 2nd year player?

owned

:lmao

angelbelow
10-04-2008, 04:27 PM
i thought he was great against the hornets too, but he really disappeared against LA.

urunobili
10-04-2008, 05:39 PM
he sucked on the Lakers series last year though... he made both Walton and Farmar look like HOF'ers...

Manufan909
10-04-2008, 05:50 PM
As long as both Ime and Mason get more minutes than Fin while Manu isout I'm good.

timtonymanu
10-04-2008, 06:09 PM
i hope Ime can give enough points like he did in portland.

boutons_
10-04-2008, 06:41 PM
How can anybody extrapolite Mason's pitiful career stats towards making an impact with the Spurs?

mrspurs
10-04-2008, 08:06 PM
How can anybody extrapolite Mason's pitiful career stats towards making an impact with the Spurs?

Agreed, they guy scored 9-10 points per game as a career high. Not sure how thats gonna help the spurs out while anyone is injured. What we need is for mason to play solid defense. Lets face it, mason was the only guy who wanted to play here. Its not like we went after him first. Plus like always we got him cheap like we do most players. One thing is for sure, anyone who has a decent 3 point shot always gets better in SA. Still not sure how thats gonna help, we have enough 3 point shooters already. He has to be better then Jacque imo. So hopefully that will give TP some rest.

Solid D
10-04-2008, 08:07 PM

The thought of you and "extra-polite" in the same sentence is Repugnant.

ducks
10-04-2008, 08:33 PM

off the bench besides manu who has averaged 10 points a game

T Park
10-04-2008, 09:09 PM
The thought of you and "extra-polite" in the same sentence is Repugnant.

have loved that word ever since the Pinky and the Brain episode.

LaMarcus Bryant
10-04-2008, 09:13 PM
My father let me watch pinky and the brain :)

/tpark

Solid D
10-04-2008, 10:08 PM

Gregg Popovich seems to think he might. Pop was shown on Maximum Sports tonight with video from an interview at practice today. When asked about Mason, Pop said "As far as his skills are concerned, you know, he's probably a little bit better than we expected."

Drom John
10-05-2008, 08:28 AM
Udoka is still the Bowen backup/tandem. The Spurs are still going to try to wear down the opposing offensive threat. The difference this year is that Udoka should be more involved in the offense during his stints. I predict that Udoka will take about a minute a game away from Bowen, partly to keep Bowen fresher. They both may be on the floor at the same time, but mostly when they are focusing on two players (Stojakovich/Paul when resting Parker.)

Finley keeps Finley minutes.
Mason gets most of Ginobli minutes.
Udoka gets one minute from Bowen, and some Ginobli PG minutes when defense is premium. [edit: Udoka defending the PG, not running the offense.]

When Ginobli eases back, Manu will start chipping away minutes from the loser of the Finley/Mason competition, wth the loser competing with Bonner for Horry minutes. Udoka keeps his minutes, but for some crunch time close game minutes when we need magic Manu scoring.

tp2021
10-05-2008, 11:56 AM

McDonald probably should have said "Udoka is the only Spurs player in his second training camp" or "that has been in only one previous training camp."

Mr.Bottomtooth
10-05-2008, 12:40 PM
McDonald probably should have said "Udoka is the only Spurs player in his second training camp" or "that has been in only one previous training camp."

Ian was here for training camp last year too.

tp2021
10-05-2008, 12:53 PM
How about "Udoka is the only Spurs player actively participating in his second training camp"

Mr.Bottomtooth
10-05-2008, 12:57 PM
That can work.