PDA

View Full Version : McDonald: New Spurs player even better than coaches expected

Spurs Brazil
10-04-2008, 09:46 PM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/New_Spurs_player_even_better_than_coaches_expected .html

New Spurs player even better than coaches expected

Jeff McDonald - Express-News It was no secret Corey Maggette was the Spurs' primary target during summer free agency. When Maggette accepted a higher offer from Golden State, the Spurs turned to Roger Mason Jr. instead.

So far in training camp, the Spurs have been pleased with their Plan B.

The Spurs lured Mason from Washington with the hopes he could be a lockdown defender on the perimeter, with the added bonus of being able to knock down an occasional 3-pointer. Four days into camp, Spurs coaches have been impressed with his unexpected ability to score off the dribble as well.

“Roger is doing exactly what we thought he could do, and even better in some respects,” coach Gregg Popovich said. “His skills are maybe even better than we expected.”

With Manu Ginobili out for at least the first month of the season, Mason's continued progress will be paramount for the Spurs.

Mason says he can sense the opportunity ahead of him.

“I'll try to integrate myself quickly,” said Mason, who averaged 9.1 points last season in Washington, mostly as a reserve.

“Manu is out. Hopefully, I can step up and make a difference.”

At 6-foot-5, Mason can play both guard positions, but the Spurs plan to let him get comfortable at shooting guard before they consider using him at the point.

The rookie and the shot doc: Rookie point guard George Hill has been spending a good portion of his first NBA camp with assistant coach Chip Engelland, the Spurs' resident shooting guru.

At one recent practice, Engelland had Hill positioned just a few feet from the basket, shooting one-handed set shots in order to polish his form.

“He's been working with me on my jump shot, touching up a few things,” Hill said. “It's just a tune-up.”

Hill, the Spurs' top draft choice out of Indiana University-Purdue University-Indianapolis, struggled with his shot during summer league.

The Spurs believe Hill already is an NBA-caliber defender.

They'd just like him to be able to contribute on offense when he's on the floor as well.

Hill is hopeful his work with Engelland will pay off.

“I'll just keep working on it,” said Hill, who averaged 21.5 points as a college senior.

“Every day, I'm getting better and better.”

Stoudamire's bad timing: The Spurs took the day off Saturday, good news for Salim Stoudamire. It gives him time to rest his injured groin.

Stoudamire, a backup guard, signed with the Spurs in late September in hopes of reviving a career that had hit a wall in Atlanta. His contract is make-good, meaning it isn't fully guaranteed unless he earns a roster spot.

So far, Stoudamire hasn't been able to show much. He strained his left groin on the first day of practice and has been sidelined ever since.

“It will be difficult to make the team if he doesn't practice,” Popovich said. “I need to see him on the court, but unfortunately he can't do that right now. You can't ask him to be on the court when he's 50 percent or whatever he is.

“I'm hopeful at some point during camp he'll be able to get on the court and show us what he can do.”

honestfool84
10-05-2008, 12:01 AM
i hope salim can get a chance to show what he's got.

xellos88330
10-05-2008, 12:09 AM
Hill working with Chip is good. Mason, I have always thought, was a good pick-up by the Spurs.

phyzik
10-05-2008, 12:20 AM
I've thought since the draft that Mason is the one good thing that has happened to the Spurs this off-season. Hopefully George Hill can show something and Salim gets a chance as well.

T Park
10-05-2008, 12:38 AM
I like Hill's attitude. Sound very very Spur like.

Mason? I love what I hear about the dribble penetration. We knew he was a shooter, I think the problem we thought about was would he be a one trick pony. If he can add a dribble penetration to his rep, that would be awesome.

Hoy
10-05-2008, 02:20 AM
I like Hill's attitude. Sound very very Spur like.

Mason? I love what I hear about the dribble penetration. We knew he was a shooter, I think the problem we thought about was would he be a one trick pony. If he can add a dribble penetration to his rep, that would be awesome.

Couple of dribble and shoot, opposed to dribble-penetration-layup/dunk, is what I am reading.

timvp
10-05-2008, 04:38 AM
“Roger is doing exactly what we thought he could do, and even better in some respects,” coach Gregg Popovich said. “His skills are maybe even better than we expected.”Hopefully this is the case. The Spurs need Mason to surprise. He can't just have an Ime Udoka 2007-08 type season.

Although I do take Pop's comments with a grain of salt since the last two training camps he couldn't stop talking about how great Francisco Elson was playing.

polandprzem
10-05-2008, 05:52 AM
Hopefully this is the case. The Spurs need Mason to surprise. He can't just have an Ime Udoka 2007-08 type season.

Although I do take Pop's comments with a grain of salt since the last two training camps he couldn't stop talking about how great Francisco Elson was playing.

I think Pop uses that as a motivation for players

timtonymanu
10-05-2008, 05:59 AM
i cant wait to see Roger on the court.

TDMVPDPOY
10-05-2008, 08:26 AM
hype them up fellas, i smell a trade brewing

Indazone
10-05-2008, 08:27 AM
It's George Hill guys! He's the promised one!

ata
10-05-2008, 08:57 AM
Low expectations?

SenorSpur
10-05-2008, 09:04 AM
I really hope Mason "hits the ground running". He's absolutely right in that there is an opportunity there for him to make an immediate impact. The Spurs will need him to be an immediate contributor if they wish to keep pace in the competitive Western conference. For that to happen, I say he needs to have earned the starting job at the 2-spot. I can't wait to see him play.

I'm also pleased that he's incorporating his "off-the-dribble" jump shot. Some scouting reports I read indicated that he was previously known as a jump shooter only.

mrspurs
10-05-2008, 05:22 PM
Hopefully this is the case. The Spurs need Mason to surprise. He can't just have an Ime Udoka 2007-08 type season.

Agreed