PDA

View Full Version : Challenge to conservatives

George Gervin's Afro
10-05-2008, 10:22 AM
Can you specifically define what exactly is the mainstream media? Is it specific newspapers? specific tv station? Is it all newspapers and all tv stations? I'd like some clarity because it very easy for you to shrug off any story you don't like as a product of a MSM. If I disregarded anything from Fox as useless because they are biased I would hear from all of you nut balls that they are telling the truth. Couldn't I apply the same logic concerning any story you disregard as biased?

Show some intellectual honesty and specifically define the term you use. I find it funny that CNN and USA today could cover a story but that's not good enough due to the fact that the story was not covered by 100% of the press . SO enlighten us and show some intellectual honesty and define specifically what MSM encompasses.

I have a feeling not one conservative will touch this thread. It is intellectually lazy to brush a story off because of the 'bias of the msm' when some media outlets do report the story.

I'll wait.

xrayzebra
10-05-2008, 10:26 AM
Nice try GGA, but you know who the MSM are.

George Gervin's Afro
10-05-2008, 10:30 AM
Nice try GGA, but you know who the MSM are.

Ray please enlighten me because the NY Times can report something yet you claim the MSM ignores the same story. Then the NY Times won't report a story and you call them part of the MSM.

xrayzebra
10-05-2008, 10:35 AM
Naw, live in ignorance, NYT, are they still publishing?

Spur-Addict
10-05-2008, 10:36 AM
Yes, lets remove the cloaks of ambiguity from everything.

101A
10-05-2008, 11:45 AM
I consider "MSM" the traditional media outlets:

ABC, CBS, NBC, radio news, as well as newspapers.

People will get information from those sources whether they seek it out or not. It is ubiquitous.

DarrinS
10-05-2008, 03:01 PM
All the traditional media outlets, i.e. major "news" netsworks, major newspapers, etc.

Is that really your challenge?

Shastafarian
10-05-2008, 03:05 PM
All the traditional media outlets, i.e. major "news" netsworks, major newspapers, etc.

Is that really your challenge?

So do FoxNews, the Washington Times, and the New York Post count?

SpursFanFirst
10-05-2008, 03:27 PM
...and CNN

Nbadan
10-05-2008, 03:36 PM
Main Corporations

The elite

Time Warner (formerly AOL-Time Warner-Turner -- 2004 U.S. media revenue, $37 billion -- January 2000 merger with AOL recently approved worth $178 billion. Total corporate worth: $350 billion. Also directly connected to Comcast (see below) and Liberty Media Group, which also owns 3% of Vivendi (see NBC below) and has holdings in 7 of the top 100 media companies; as of late 2003 was talking with EMI about combining music divisions -- worldwide Time Warner's revenue was $39.5 billion

Viacom (2004 U.S. media revenue, $21.4 billion -- separated from CBS into two companies beginning in 2006 after years of being combined. CBS was formerly held by Westinghouse.)

Comcast -- linked to AT&T, by a $72 billion merger (2004 U.S. media revenue, $20.1 billion -- owns E! Network, part of QVC and Golf Channel, Comcast Cable Systems, and linked to Liberty Media Corp. (not a media company but investors in media companies such as Time Warner) and owns Philadelphia 76ers and Flyers.

Disney/ABC-Cap Cities (2004 U.S. media revenue, $17.4 billion -- possibly being acquired by Comcast in a $54 billion merger, Disney is also directly connected to AT&T's Liberty Media Group -- it has 10 TV stations)

NBC Universal (GE) (2004 U.S. media revenue, $12.4 billion -- NBC recently acquired Vivendi (French owner owner of Universal, whic owns USA network and is huge into music and theme parks and also holds 26.8 million shares in Time-Warner) -- GE has 44 TV stations. It is also into areas such as aircraft engines, lighting, plastics, medical systems, nuclear fuel services, satellite, electrical distribution). GE's worldwide revenue was $134.1 billion before 2003.

News Corporation (2003 media revenue, $11.4 billion -- Rupert Murdoch controlled corporation holding Fox TV, MySpace.com and into books, cable, books and magazines around the world, is also directly connected to Echostar (owner of DISH satellite network) and Gemstar (owner of TV Guide) -- News Corp. worldwide revenue for 2003 was $19.2 billion -- it has 37 TV stations

DirecTV (2004 U.S. media revenue, $9.7 billion -- owned by General Motors Corp.

Cox Enterprises (2004 U.S. media revenue, $8.5 billion -- into newspapers, TV (owns 16 stations), cable, etc.)

EchoStar Communications Corp. (2004 U.S. media revenue, $6.6 billion

Clear Channel Communications (2004 U.S. media revenue, $6.5 billion -- nation's largest radio owner, also holding TV stations -- including Bellingham's KVOS and other media)

Advance Publications (2004 U.S. media revenue, $6.4 billion -- owner of Parade magazine, Conde Naste's 17 magazines (such as Vogue, Esquire, etc.) and 25 newspapers, and linked to Cox. Enterprises

Gannett (2004 U.S. media revenue, $5.7 billion -- owns USA today and around 90 daily newspapers, along with TV stations (21 of them), cable, billboard, etc.)
Tribune Co. (2004 U.S. media revenue, $5.5 billion) -- owns 30 TV stations, 15 newspapers, including the LA Times and Chicago Tribune, and has holdings in radio and cable and owns the Chicao Cubs

Bertelsmann (German corporation holding books, magazines, music, multimedia and broadcast in Europe -- $15 billion -- as of late 2003 was combining music divisions with Sony)

Six parent firms -- General Electric (NBC Universal), Viacom, Disney, Bertlesmann, Time Warner, News Corp. -- (ordered on annual media revenues) have more of such revenue than the next 20 firms combined -- Ben Bagdikian, The Media Monopoly, 6th ed. In the 7th edition, Bagdikian lists Time Warner, Disney, News Corporation, Viacom and Bertelsmann as the "Big 5."

The rest
Charter Communications ($4.9 billion)
Cablevision ($4.4 billion)
Hearst (2003 U.S. media revenue, $4.0 billion -- into newspapers like Seattle P-I, TV (owns 36 TV stations), cable, magazines like Good Housekeeping, etc.)
Adelphia Comm. Corp. ($3.90 billion)
Sony ($3.8 billion)
The New York Times ($3.3 billion)
McClatchy Company -- owner of Bellingham Herald, Olympian Morning News Tribune and 49.5% of Seattle Times(during 2006, acquired Knight Ridder with a 2004 revenue of $3 billion) Dow Jones ($1.7 billion)
New York Times Co. ($3 billion)
Washington Post Co. ($1.9 billion)
Cablevision ($3 billion)

A few others in the world (earning are not from 2004):
Bertelsmann (German corporation holding books, magazines, music, multimedia and broadcast in Europe -- $15 billion -- as of late 2003 was combining music divisions with Sony)
Thompson -- Canada ($7.3 billion)
Havas -- France ($8.8 billion)
Reed Elsevier -- Britain/Netherlands ($5.5 billion)
EMI -- Britain ($5.4 billion -- talking in late 2003 about combining music divisions with Time Warner)
Hachette -- France ($5.3 billion)
Kirch Group -- Germany ($4 billion)
NHK -- Japan ($5.6 billion)
Fuji TV -- Japan ($2.6 billion)