PDA

View Full Version : Music in school is underrated.

MannyIsGod
02-12-2005, 03:35 PM
Teachers sing urgent tune

Web Posted: 02/12/2005 12:00 AM CST

Jenny LaCoste-Caputo
San Antonio Express-News

More than 2,500 voices majestically filled the Lila Cockrell Theater on Friday, singing the haunting notes of "Amazing Grace" in perfect four-part harmony.

The impromptu concert was an object lesson: Most people can't remember a fraction of what they learned in high school geometry class, but two words can trigger a flood of memory set to music, even for those who haven't heard the tune in years.

Thousands of choir teachers, orchestra directors and band leaders are in San Antonio this weekend for the Texas Music Educators Association's annual convention, participating in workshops on everything ranging from the latest rehearsal techniques to the newest music textbooks.

"Every child should have music every day of their life in school," said Tim Lautzenheiser, an instructor at Ball State University's School of Music. Lautzenheiser led the crowd in "Amazing Grace" illustrating how closely music is tied to memory.

The crowd also heard from Gov. Rick Perry, who thanked music teachers for their work.

"These students don't just excel in music. They excel in math. They excel in science. They regularly outscore their peers on the SAT," Perry said of music students.

He also highlighted school reform and accountability efforts and discussed the state Legislature's current efforts to overhaul the school finance system.

"I look at this as a once in a lifetime, once in a generation, opportunity to improve the education system," he said.

But Perry said increasing funding can't be the only focus. He wants to push for more school reform, such as cracking down on schools that repeatedly fail state standards by implementing measures such as firing faculty.

"How much we spend on education is important," Perry said. "But how we spend it is the most important."

It's a frustrating message for most music teachers. Their departments are often the first to get cut when budgets are tight.

"We've already been told not to expect any new instruments next year," said Chip Wadenpfuhl, a 30-year veteran educator who teaches band at Campbell Middle School in Houston.

Lisa Elaine Owens, a choir teacher in the North East School District in San Antonio, said she hopes lawmakers understand the importance of music education and fund it accordingly.

"We're teaching math in a whole new way. We're helping (middle school) students who were reading on a first-grade level improve their reading skills," she said. "It's so important for every student to experience music education."

Duff McCartney
02-12-2005, 03:46 PM
Damn straight.

ididnotnothat
02-12-2005, 05:40 PM
That's music to my ears.

IX_Equilibrium
02-12-2005, 07:53 PM
I never thought "Amazing Grace" had haunting notes.

T Park
02-12-2005, 08:39 PM
Statistics have shown, kids that take a musical class, or have learned an instrument, get better grades and have turned out more college grads too.

Great article Manny.

One of my charities is donating money every year is the support for music classes in school.

Music > ART classes.

If you cant draw art classes blow, you can learn to play music, it seems you need to be blessed with drawing.

AlamoSpursFan
02-14-2005, 04:24 AM
Statistics have shown, kids that take a musical class, or have learned an instrument, get better grades and have turned out more college grads too.

I'm living proof that this particular stat is bullshit.

:lol