PDA

View Full Version : Adleman breaks from Van Gundy's Inside Out game and Demands the Motion Offense

Indazone
10-05-2008, 04:10 PM
Based more on movement and less on play-calling, coach Rick Adelman's offense this season should look quite different than during his first year

By JONATHAN FEIGEN Copyright 2008 Houston Chronicle

Oct. 1, 2008, 10:51PM

http://www.chron.com/photos/2008/10/01/13316216/260xStory.jpg
James Nielsen Chronicle

Rick Adelman made himself a promise.

The season ended and before all the analysis that would come, before the trade for Ron Artest or free-agent acquisition of Brent Barry, before the Rockets left Salt Lake City and another promising but also disappointing season behind, Adelman knew the change he wanted.
In his second season as the coach, the Rockets would run his offense.
“It’s totally different this year,” Adelman said. “That’s what I told them in the meeting (Monday). They’re familiar with what we’d like to do; now we have to do it better.
“We’re going to demand a little bit differently now that they understand what we want to do.”
In the first season, they had to abandon much of his planned offense, running the standard NBA play calls, returning to the well-practiced offensive strengths of Tracy McGrady and Yao Ming.
Adelman went to that because that was the adjustment he needed to win through the growing pains that came with learning an offense different from most. But as with the season as a whole, with the adjustment to his read-and-move offensive style behind them, Adelman will demand something greater.
“Last year we found out very quickly these guys weren’t very used to doing it, and we had to make calls,” Adelman said. “When you make calls in this league, as soon as you make the call, everybody in the world knows it. It’s harder to run anything.
“Our offense, if we don’t have to make calls and we’re just running the right pass, right cut, the defense can’t set up and gear up for what you’re going to do because they don’t know what’s coming. That’s what I expect this year. We’re going to be able to do those things a lot better than we did last year.”
The Rockets learned the offense last season, but ran it as if running plays. They were hesitant, often deliberate in going through the levels of improvisation within the offense that can make it its most effective.
This season, the players have grown to the point that they can more instinctively and, ultimately, more effectively make the cuts and bring the rapid-ball movement the offense demands.
Ahead of the game

“We’re far ahead (of last season),” point guard Rafer Alston said. “It’s just review for us. I think it’s fine-tuning some things, getting some spacing and some timing. I think most of us know the offense. Us veterans can bring the new guys along. Ron (Artest) has picked it up quick. Guys in the second year know it and some had the opportunity to play summer league.
“What we’re trying to get to is just (be) instinctive. We can come down and get to where we’re running by a guy’s movement, where he goes with the ball and where he goes with his body. Getting everyone on the same page, that’s going to be the key.”
Yao is eager to move more often from the low post to the high post, and to create more from the perimeter for his teammates. The Rockets quickly discarded that part of the offense when Yao was more efficient in the low blocks than anything they created with him away from the low post. But Yao said the greater diversity will make things easier for him, too.
“I think perimeter jumpers, perimeter passes and cuts to the basket and more movement from inside to outside,” Yao said. “I don’t mean ball movement, I mean myself moving from inside to out makes it harder for the defense to come catch me. Last year, I think because it was the first year, it should be better now.”
A benefit to all

The change does not, however, de-emphasize Yao and McGrady. Rather, Adelman said it will make it more difficult for teams to lock in on them as they did when he was forced to call their plays. Beyond that, he thought the improved movement would benefit players working around the Rockets’ top scorers.
“Out of necessity we had to do that last year,” Adelman said. “Then, it really puts the onus on Tracy and Yao. We can always go to those guys. I don’t care if the whole world knows they’re getting the ball, they’re going to have a hard time guarding them. It’s the other guys that can benefit from the offense if we don’t have to make calls and just play.
“These guys have to be a little bit more obedient, and they have to execute a little bit better. We don’t want to make a ton of calls. We want to play (with) movement on the pass. I feel really good about what we’re going to do offensively.”

MagnusKrauss
10-05-2008, 11:57 PM
Brent's gonna thrive there. Why'd we let go of him?

Roxsfan
10-06-2008, 12:35 AM
cool, thx

T Park
10-06-2008, 01:01 AM

Who is we?

If your asking about the Spurs, because he couldn't stay healthy.

If it ends up being wrong, oh well thats how it goes.

You can't scream go young and then bitch about losing a over 34 year old one legged shooting guard.

Indazone
10-06-2008, 11:20 AM
Even if Barry is slow as molasses, with the motion offense and coming off multiple screens, he's going to get a lot of wide open looks.

DaDakota
10-07-2008, 08:02 AM
This is the Rockets year.....

DD

The Franchise
10-07-2008, 12:10 PM

DD

Where have you been hiding DD?

z0sa
10-07-2008, 02:39 PM
This is the Rocket's year all right.

That is, the Rocket's year to get out of the first round. I doubt this team is first round fodder, at least for this season's playoffs, as long as they stay relatively injury free and get a good matchup come late April.

But to say this is their year - that is just incorrect. It's not something a motion offense will change, either.

stipendlax
10-08-2008, 12:35 AM

That is, the Rocket's year to get out of the first round. I doubt this team is first round fodder, at least for this season's playoffs, as long as they stay relatively injury free and get a good matchup come late April.

But to say this is their year - that is just incorrect. It's not something a motion offense will change, either.

Health is imperative. If this team can stay healthy, they're going to be a force in the Western Conf.

Tmac&Luther
10-08-2008, 01:04 AM

Wow, just watching the first damn preseason game it's so obvious how high of a bball IQ that Brent Barry has. The guy knows when to makes cuts, where to pass the ball, and where to move to recieve the open shot. He's going to go down as the most underrated pickup in the offseason...he was operating in this system better than anybody and he just got here. I love the Brent Barry pickup, the guy is going to make big plays this year. He was made for this read and react system.....fits it like a glove.

T-mac&Yao=RING
10-08-2008, 02:49 AM

DD

Whats up DD I just joined this site late last night.

T-mac&Yao=RING
10-08-2008, 02:52 AM

The only thing that can stop the Rockets this year is HEALTH. So you better pray that one of our big 3 gets hurt becasue if not this is our year believe that nobody will be able to stop us.

icem
10-09-2008, 12:20 AM
The only thing that can stop the Rockets this year is HEALTH. So you better pray that one of our big 3 gets hurt becasue if not this is our year believe that nobody will be able to stop us.

stop you from what ? a title ?

uhm, there is this team out there called the boston celtics ?

lakers with a healthy bynum ?

jazz ? (still a bad matchup for the rockets)

i won't say the spurs since i honestly don't believe we are that good this year.

Roxsfan
10-09-2008, 12:25 AM
stop you from what ? a title ?

uhm, there is this team out there called the boston celtics ?

lakers with a healthy bynum ?

jazz ? (still a bad matchup for the rockets)

i won't say the spurs since i honestly don't believe we are that good this year.

you would love it if the rox continue to fail. Wow, so predictable. It's not up to you and the celts, rox and jizz are great teams, but I think the rox can take them if they have no injuries. Take out Kobe and Garnet from last years playoff run--would they have made it to the finals.....

T Park
10-09-2008, 01:32 AM
While I think the Rockets are a darn good team, I think the chemistry make up is one that is not compatible to success.

We shall see, but I don't think McGrady is gonna magically find clutchness, and I don't think Artest is gonna magically find sanity either.

Tmac&Luther
10-09-2008, 01:51 AM
none of those things has been a problem.........we just need to "magically find health".

I want Artest to stay a crazy mofo......we need that kinda edge/enforcer.