PDA

View Full Version : Flip Out

Johnny_Blaze_47
02-12-2005, 03:59 PM
Just heard on Fox Sports Radio that Flip Saunders is out in MIN.

johnny00
02-12-2005, 04:02 PM
Wasn't this guy being touted as Coach of the Year last year?
How the mighty have fallen.

ALVAREZ6
02-12-2005, 04:03 PM
All I can do is laugh at wolves009 hahahah

exstatic
02-12-2005, 04:04 PM
They waited too long. The Pups were in the dumper by the end of December. McHale let his friendship cloud his judgment, and pissed away the season.

johnny00
02-12-2005, 04:12 PM
So I guess the interim coach will be one of the assistants?
Who will be a likely replacement? Will they name him before the season is over or do they wait till the summer to seriously look?

SequSpur
02-12-2005, 04:13 PM
PJ and Spre together again? :lol

exstatic
02-12-2005, 04:14 PM
I think they wait for summer. If they want to make a top hire, they will. Not too many coaches will step into a bad late season situation.

Johnny_Blaze_47
02-12-2005, 04:14 PM
They said McHale might come down and serve as interim.

exstatic
02-12-2005, 04:15 PM
Spree won't be there next year. They could do worse than PJ. He pretty much single handedly made over the Spurs offense into something not smelling like 4 down. That also gets them a coach who knows the top team in the conference inside and out, both playbook and personel.

SequSpur
02-12-2005, 04:16 PM
McHale has never coached shit. Good luck.

exstatic
02-12-2005, 04:16 PM
It's just interim. They're done this year, anyway.

SequSpur
02-12-2005, 04:17 PM
They could still get the eight seed.

timvp
02-12-2005, 04:19 PM
If they get Phil Jackson, they'll make the Western Conference Finals.

Bold.

SequSpur
02-12-2005, 04:20 PM
I bet Spre and Cassell would just love to play for McHale. :lol

He is one of the reasons why these two guys don't give a crap.

FromWayDowntown
02-12-2005, 04:28 PM
If they get Phil Jackson, they'll make the Western Conference Finals.

Bold.

I just don't get why Phil would take THAT job. Garnett is obviously a great player, but after KG, what's there? I doubt they'll bring back Sprewell and Cassell, so the only chance to have a two-superstar, ready to win now situation is a deal that will get them a second star (Kidd, perhaps), but until that happens, Minnesota is really a team with an exceptionally talented player, major cap problems, and no real way to get over the hump.

While I'm sure McHale will try to get him, it would go completely against Phil's m.o. to jump into that situation.

myhc
02-12-2005, 04:34 PM
I say for the offseason, just totally blow up that team- Sprewell, Cassell, Sczerbiak, Kandi, Hudson, do everything in your power to trade and dump these headcases and hacks.

timvp
02-12-2005, 04:35 PM
Minnesota is relatively close to PJack's Montana ranch. KG is one of the best two players in the league. They have enough talented players -- Cassell, Sprewell, Wally, Hassell, Hudson, Griffin -- to contend.

But most of all, Kevin Garnett was built to play in the triangle offense. He'd be deadly. In addition, Hudson would be able to play the faux point guard in the triangle, so Cassell's health really doesn't matter too much.

It's a good match and much better than any job that will open in the coming years.

ata
02-12-2005, 04:41 PM
PJ to Minny, Flip to LAL.

FromWayDowntown
02-12-2005, 04:42 PM
I disagree with you, to the extent that the Minnesota roster, will be hard-pressed to truly compete for a title, absent some major shift in its personnel.

Minneapolis might be fairly close to Montana, but without a second star, it's nowhere near a title in the Phil-realm. Unless they get something for Sam and Spree before 2/23, the 2005-2006 T'Wolves are going to look more like the 00-01 version (a middling 8th seed) and less like the 03-04 version (a competitive 1 seed). If I'm Phil, I'll watch the situation and see what develops, but for now, I'm resting on my laurels, waiting to see what happens.

2centsworth
02-12-2005, 04:48 PM
PHil would definitely get them feeling good again, but phil's system takes at least a year to implement.

timvp
02-12-2005, 04:50 PM
What jobs do you see opening that Phil would accept? The Knicks job is a thousand times worse. Outside of somehow getting the Cavs or Rockets job, I don't see a better job opening in the near future.

Perhaps he could wait on LB leaving Detroit, but that roster isn't too triangle friendly.

exstatic
02-12-2005, 04:51 PM
Phil might consider it this summer, but I think there is no way that he takes on such a leaky boat now.

Experiment2100
02-12-2005, 04:51 PM
So now the TWolves have to focus on feeding Flip's and Spree's kids at this rate they won't have enough money to take care of Cassell's geriatric bills.

exstatic
02-12-2005, 04:53 PM
What jobs do you see opening that Phil would accept?

Dallas. AJ isn't a lock, and Cuban loves the sexy, splashy move. Portland. Mo looks beaten and through, every game. I think he's only there now because he helped that girl finish the national anthem last year. Sacto seems to be free falling now. Adelman usually makes his players tune out like Brown does.

2centsworth
02-12-2005, 04:57 PM
Jobs suited for Phil Jackson.

Not many. Best possible i guess would be minnesota, but they only have one player. the rest are old.

sickdsm
02-12-2005, 04:59 PM
I'd rather have Eric Musselman, Phil is just another bandaid. Not someone i can see a few years from now still being around.

. Saunders will be re-assigned within the organization

Is this a common thing when coaches are fired?

2centsworth
02-12-2005, 05:23 PM
Looks like Mchale to take over till seasons end.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba

Useruser666
02-12-2005, 05:29 PM
I'd rather have Eric Musselman, Phil is just another bandaid. Not someone i can see a few years from now still being around.

. Saunders will be re-assigned within the organization

Is this a common thing when coaches are fired?

That's weird. I mean is he stepping down or just out right fired?

FromWayDowntown
02-12-2005, 05:32 PM
What jobs do you see opening that Phil would accept? The Knicks job is a thousand times worse. Outside of somehow getting the Cavs or Rockets job, I don't see a better job opening in the near future.

Perhaps he could wait on LB leaving Detroit, but that roster isn't too triangle friendly.

I'm not sure that's really the question. Phil is definitely in a position to wait around and see if anything opens up. Frankly, I think Phil is best-served to sit out a few years and wait for the right situation. Imagine the hit to his reputation if he takes on a good team, but one that isn't a title contender. When he can't win with that team, the questions about that "Phil Jackson magic" will get louder and louder. In the wrong situation, Phil risks becoming, ultimately, the product of his talent, rather than the reason for his team's successes. For now at least, it's a debatable question.

Frankly, for that reason, I think he would have take a couple years away after Chicago if the Lakers position hadn't opened up. LA was precisely the kind of situation Phil needed to create his legacy -- he had a ready-made team and could win titles without Michael. Why not wait to see if another, similar situation crops up?

Maybe Phil's waiting around for the day that he can take over for Pop. ;)

As to Flip, I remember reading that he and Pop had a good relationship. Personally, I think someone will give Flip another chance this summer. But if Flip doesn't immediately get another chance in the league and Carlesimo does, I wonder if Pop wouldn't consider hiring Flip as his top assistant.

sickdsm
02-12-2005, 05:34 PM
I'm sure it was well talked out between the two, their longtime college buddies.

Frenchise player
02-12-2005, 06:39 PM
Jackson may have to wait 10 years before the Spurs dinasty ends.

T Park
02-12-2005, 08:32 PM
A same, cause it isn't flip's fault. Flip is a pretty decent coach.

If I was a team serious about getting back on the winning track, I would hire him.

Either him or Eric Musselman.

Mchale is gonna get eaten alive.

But, maybe thats what Minny needs, is a different voice, and a voice from a Hall of Famer.

FromWayDowntown
02-12-2005, 09:52 PM
On the Phil issue, I wonder how comfortable McHale would be hiring Phil, knowing that he's a Celtic at heart and Red Auerbach has been publicly critical of Phil's record. Just another thought.

Experiment2100
02-12-2005, 11:29 PM
Like I always say, in the play-offs ; records don't matter!!! The 8th seed is very very attainable. WATCH OUT!!! I HOPE THE WOLVES AND SPURS TANGLE IN THE FIRST ROUND!!!!!

So they can get swept again? Flip will be used as a crutch when they don't make the Playoffs.

Jimcs50
02-13-2005, 12:14 AM
This sucks...they need to fire Spree and Cassell...they are the reason why this teams sucks, all because of their greedy statements at the start of the season and their whole me first attitudes.

T Park
02-13-2005, 12:17 AM
Yup.

Good post Jim.

Very true, them, and plus they sound Anthony Carter.

Hes kryptonite for potential championship teams.

IX_Equilibrium
02-13-2005, 12:51 AM
Phil Jackson sucks

exstatic
02-13-2005, 01:03 AM
Unfortunately, a reality of modern sports is that you can't fire players. At least they're rid of Spree this summer, and he's already dug his own grave. If he had busted ass this year, he could have probably gotten an MCE deal. Now he's looking vet min straight in the eyes.

ChumpDumper
02-13-2005, 01:51 AM
sound?

Supergirl
02-13-2005, 02:50 AM
I'm surprised by this. I knew Minnesota would make a move, but I didn't think Flip would be gone till the summer. This totally affects Minnesota's morale, which wasn't so high to begin with these days.

I expected Minnesota to trade Spree and or Cassell. Not to fire Flip. I suspect there's more to this story - was KG unhappy with Flip? Was Flip unhappy?

sickdsm
02-13-2005, 09:52 AM
KG was and always was very happy with Flip. He's a players coach and I don't think that s the right thing to have. Saunders always seemed to do the same old routine for subbing no matter the circumstances. A guy's lighting up the opposing team for 18 in the first quarter? Give him an extended rest until late 3rd quarter. Just dumb stuff like that. McHale needs to be fired too. Hopefully he'll tank it worse than Flip did and get the boot at the end of the year.

TParks right. Flip should be an assistant coach. He's the equivalant of an offensive coordinator. But yeah, if you want him designing plays kiss your FT's and offensive boards goodbye.

T Park
02-13-2005, 11:20 AM
Welll Sick.

Im the opinion you need someone in the middle.

Someone the players respect and like, but is not gonna be a players coach.

Pop IMO is that, hes half a players coach, and half a coach thats gonna chew there ass.

He has the uncanny abillity to know when to chew and when to clap and encourage.

Flip?? I would hire as my head assistant coach and my overall head coach would be an Eric Musselman or a Jim Cleamons.

SequSpur
02-13-2005, 11:22 AM
He has the uncanny abillity to know when to chew and when to clap and encourage.

As long as Duncan has his back, he can do whatever he wants.

T Park
02-13-2005, 11:24 AM
He did it back when he was an assitant with Larry Brown too numbnuts, so Stfu on your pop hate.

Your girlfriend John Lucas was a train wreck so be quiet.