PDA

View Full Version : McDonald: Duncan And The Downward Dog?

duncan228
10-05-2008, 11:31 PM
Jeff McDonald: Duncan and the downward dog? (http://blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblogs/courtside/archives/2008/10/jeff_mcdonald_d_12.html)

When the doors finally opened and the media was let into the Spurs practice gym Sunday afternoon, we stumbled upon a strange sight.

The lights in the gym were still dim, and mats were spread out across the hardwood floor. For a second, it seemed as if we had stumbled into a kindergarten classroom at the tail end of nap time.

As it turns out, all we missed was yoga time.

Yes, the Spurs spent the final 30 minutes of their practice session the same way my wife spends her Saturday mornings.

Once the lights came on and (presumably) the incense had faded, we asked Matt Bonner what the point of all that was.

"The point?," the 6-foot-10 Red Rocket said. "To torture guys like me who aren't flexible."

But no, seriously ...

"During training camp it's mental, but it's also really physical," Bonner said, in mock seriousness. "It's a lot of pounding, a lot of stress on your body ... and on your chi. It does a good job of loosening us up, bringing the body and the mind in balance with each other."

Somewhere, Phil Jackson was thinking this all sounds a little nutty. The gathered media corps, however, played along.

Bonner was asked, with matching mock seriousness, if his body is now in balance with his mind.

"My body hasn't been in balance with my mind since the day I was born," he said. "I still think I can dunk from the foul line."

We're thinking no amount of yoga can help with that.

* The yoga session, however, did work wonders for guard Salim Stoudamire, who participated in his first practice since straining his groin last week. Stoudamire said the muscle still isn't at 100 percent, but he decided to give it a go.

Meanwhille, center-forward Kurt Thomas endured his first practice of camp Sunday. He had been out with a strained hamstring.

Everyone, it seems, turns out for yoga.

m33p0
10-06-2008, 09:01 AM
errr.... where's the part about duncan? and who or what is the downward dog?

boutons_
10-06-2008, 09:09 AM
downward dog must be an Americanized name for a yoga position.

tp2021
10-06-2008, 09:17 AM
If I didn't know from another article that they had done yoga, I would have thought this thread was something completely different by the title.

TDMVPDPOY
10-06-2008, 09:21 AM
lame fukn article, nothing is mentioned about duncan.

Dex
10-06-2008, 09:38 AM
errr.... where's the part about duncan? and who or what is the downward dog?

Downward facing dog is a basic yoga stretch.

http://z.about.com/d/yoga/1/5/0/2/dog.jpg

Apparently McDonald was more interested in forcing alliteration into his title than he was about writing a decent article.

Either way, it's good to hear that both Thomas and Stoudemire are back on the court. Especially since Salim is going to need a chance to showcase his talent if he hopes to stick with the roster. As boring as yoga may be to read about, I'll give it credit if it helped put this guy back into action.

m33p0
10-06-2008, 09:49 AM
Downward facing dog is a basic yoga stretch.
weird name. more apt for sex guides or sumthin.

Obstructed_View
10-06-2008, 09:54 AM
downward dog must be an Americanized name for a yoga position.

It's a literal translation from sanskrit. There's nothing Americanized about it.

Budkin
10-06-2008, 02:40 PM
Yoga rules. I recommend it to everyone to increase flexibility, core strength, and peace of mind.