PDA

View Full Version : Monroe: All Hands On Deckin Time For Spurs' Preseason

duncan228
10-05-2008, 11:37 PM
All hands on deckin time for Spurs' preseason (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/All_hands_on_deckin_time_for_Spurs_preseason.html)
Mike Monroe - Express-News

After getting a day off on Saturday, the Spurs — all of them — were back on the practice court Sunday.

For the first time since camp began one week ago, veteran center Kurt Thomas and guard Salim Stoudamire, a free agent signed a few days before the start of camp, were able to participate fully.

Thomas had been nursing a sore left hamstring; Stoudamire a strained right groin.

For Stoudamire, it was a welcome opportunity to begin proving to the Spurs' coaches that he merits a spot on the roster.

“It felt very good,” he said. “I don't like to see my teammates busting their tails while I'm sitting on the sidelines. I might as well have gotten me a drink with one of those umbrellas in it while I was out.

“It was just good to be able to be out there with the guys and get some work in.”

Stoudamire says he still has some discomfort from the groin strain. He does not know if he will be ready for Thursday's preseason opener against the Rockets in Houston.

“I just take it second by second, day by day,” he said. “If I feel well enough to play, I'll definitely go out there and play. But everyone has told me not to be stupid about it and rush myself and injure myself again and be set back even more.”

Yoga time: During the final half hour of Sunday's practice, the Spurs' practice facility resembled a kindergarten classroom at nap time. The lights were dimmed and the players were prone on mats on the floor.

They were not napping, but were under the direction of a yoga instructor, who ran them through a series of deep stretching exercises and, yes, relaxation and meditation.

Some of the Spurs, including Bruce Bowen and Ime Udoka, have added yoga stretching to their off-season training regimens. Strength and conditioning coach Mike Brungardt, according to Udoka, was behind Sunday's session.

“It's something he wants to incorporate a little this year,” Udoka said. “It's very relaxing; something to get our minds off basketball. Actually, yoga is something I like to do. I used to do it about four times a week. It's something that helps you stretch out and get flexible. It helps to meditate and stretch out.”

Not all the Spurs took easily to the new activity.

“I think it was to torture guys like me who aren't flexible,” Matt Bonner said.

But even he saw the benefit of the deep stretching.

“I think training camp is a lot of mental strain, but it's also physical,” he said. “There is a lot of pounding and stress on your body, and on yourchi. So they do a good job of loosening us up and bring the body and mind in balance with one another.”

Bonner admitted that no amount of stretching or meditation will be enough to get him fully balanced.

“My body hasn't been in balance with my mind since the day I was born,” he said. “I still think I can dunk from the foul line.”

tp2021
10-05-2008, 11:42 PM
My body hasn't been in balance with my mind since the day I was born, I still think I can dunk from the foul line.

No, that would be the Mango Tree.
:depressed

MagnusKrauss
10-06-2008, 12:15 AM
Can we trade for Brent?

carina_gino20
10-06-2008, 01:24 AM
:lol at Matt.

Last year, boxing. Now, yoga. What's next? If they show a training camp special, I'd love to see a footage of that.

ElNono
10-06-2008, 01:31 AM
Both Monroe and McDonald write about the same topic and even use the same quotes. Both write about the same guy. Was Bonner the only one available to talk after practice?
I REALLY want to know how Mason is doing. What he thinks of the workouts so far. Also Hill, and how he's doing learning the system.
No, both writers have to write about the Red Rocket. I have nothing against Matt, but please, can we get any better coverage?

tp2021
10-06-2008, 01:52 AM
please, can we get any better coverage?

Cowboys Thread :lol

Obstructed_View
10-06-2008, 06:45 AM
I think someone should pony up and buy more than one tape recorder; Sounds like they're sharing it.

mrspurs
10-06-2008, 10:03 AM
Both Monroe and McDonald write about the same topic and even use the same quotes. Both write about the same guy. Was Bonner the only one available to talk after practice?
I REALLY want to know how Mason is doing. What he thinks of the workouts so far. Also Hill, and how he's doing learning the system.
No, both writers have to write about the Red Rocket. I have nothing against Matt, but please, can we get any better coverage?

Maybe because Roger is working his behind off and has no time for mickey mouse reporters. While Matt has all the time in the world, because he's the one who cleans up the locker room after the team finishes showering.:lol

Solid D
10-06-2008, 10:07 AM

I wonder if the editor doesn't check the Blogs like the other E-N articles/columns.

Spurs Brazil
10-06-2008, 02:50 PM

Chu is the writer who's doing the best job so far.

Good article about Finley last week and good one about the new guys this week

Ice009
10-06-2008, 10:01 PM
Chu is the writer who's doing the best job so far.

Good article about Finley last week and good one about the new guys this week

I agree Chu is doing a good job so far. Keep it up Mr Chu!