PDA

View Full Version : New Jersey takes on Carter/Bowen play.

Useruser666
02-12-2005, 05:21 PM
http://www.nj.com/sports/ledger/index.ssf?/base/sports-2/1108188603325550.xml

Nets suffer a technical knockout
Saturday, February 12, 2005
BY DAVE D'ALESSANDRO
Star-Ledger Staff

It has become clear that NBA teams have finally hit upon a winning formula, using extraordinary measures to stop an extraordinary scorer.

The Lakers used their big men as headhunters against Vince Carter Wednesday night, and that worked pretty well. But the Spurs did them one better last night, using Bruce Bowen as a human cannonball, which took Carter down for the count and effectively buried the rest of his team.

Carter was having one of the best games of his career last night, when Bowen goaded him into two technical fouls, the second one allowing the Spurs to turn a hopeless evening into a 101-91 victory over the Nets at Continental Airlines Arena.

Carter, playing superbly despite a thigh contusion, had 43 points just a few minutes into the fourth period, and had his team leading 72-67. But as he missed a 3-point attempt with 9:45 left in the game, Bowen rolled into him, effectively hip-checking his legs in mid-flight and sending him sprawling.

"He was trying to hold, grab, pull the whole game," Carter said. "That didn't bother me. My goal was to be aggressive and play to win. I was trying to get past all the stuff he was trying to do out there. I knew it was going to happen sooner or later, though."

But now, Carter lost his head, jumping up after the collision and immediately starting after Bowen. For that, Carter was hit with his second technical foul of the game from Luis Grillo's crew, ending his evening.

Both Carter and Bowen were hit with technicals in the third period, when trash talk and physical play led to light head-butts from each player.

The Nets were done after that: The Spurs took the game away, outscoring them 34-19 over the last 9:45. And considering that the Nets had dominated the best team in the league for the first three quarters -- leading by as many as 16 -- nobody had to be told Bowen's act was the turning point.

"It was huge," said Tim Duncan, who had 16 points, 15 boards and nine assists. "They lost a guy who was 5-for-6 from 3-point (range), seemingly making every shot. They had to go somewhere else to find their points."

"That was probably the only way they were going to stop Vince," Jason Kidd said.

And it wasn't the first time. Last Feb. 18, Carter launched a jumper against Bowen with 7:46 left in a Raptors-Spurs game at Toronto. Replays showed that Bowen slid his foot beneath him, so when Carter descended, his foot landed on Bowen's, causing a left ankle sprain that kept him out for three weeks.

"A play like that ended my season," Carter said, getting his timetable a bit mixed up. "So there was concern (about) it."

At that time, Carter implied that Bowen did it intentionally, and it was debated around locker rooms around the league. Ray Allen called Bowen a "dirty player -- the whole league knows about Bruce," and that was one of the nice things they called him. Michael Finley called Bowen a "coward." Cuttino Mobley said he was a "flopper." Allen himself said Bowen was a "sissy."

"The referees supposedly pride themselves on knowing past history and studying the game," coach Lawrence Frank said. "Last year, Bruce Bowen (injured) Vince by stepping under him on a jump shot. If you saw that last play, and what continued to happen throughout the game -- that same sort of tactic when a guy is landing down -- the officials were warned of it time and time and time again. But they continued to let that occur."

That was mild compared to what Frank said to the officials in the final minutes of the game.

"Tom, you guys totally (messed) up this game," the Nets coach snapped at referee Tom Washington with 27 seconds left. "Great job. You took out the best player in this game."

Before he left the court, Frank also cursed Courtney Kirkland and Grillo. It wasn't worth it -- especially not for Carter.

"I just feel it was more than it was needed out there, and I reacted," Carter said. "I went to the coaches and apologized for it. That's what hurt the most. I wasn't out there to help the team win."

texbumTHElife
02-12-2005, 05:27 PM
wow....... just wow

2centsworth
02-12-2005, 05:29 PM
It's a no win situation. New Jersey has a losers attitute with a loser player. That's why even with vince playing well, Kidd still wants out.

texbumTHElife
02-12-2005, 05:34 PM
It's a no win situation. New Jersey has a losers attitute with a loser player. That's why even with vince playing well, Kidd still wants out.

word!

foodie2
My brother (originally from San Antonio and a Spurs fan, BTW) is mid-level management at the Newark Star Ledger. I emailed him the link to the WOAI story, "DUMBfounded", to let him know "our" side of the story. I told him to send it to his colleague with my compliments.

texbumTHElife
New Jersey Nets, the Buffalo Bills of the NBA.

boutons
02-12-2005, 05:43 PM
"outscoring them 34-19 over the last 9:45."

The whole truth includes the whole 4th qtr, 42 - 20.

"nobody had to be told Bowen's act was the turning point."

Absolutely false. The turning was the start of the 4th qtr.

From the start of the 4th until Carter ejection, Spurs were already on an 8 - 1 run, moving from -12 to -5. In the same 2:15 minutes, NJ committed 2 TO, 2 PF, and 0-2 FG. Nets were struggling to answer the Spurs run , and Carter just flat out lost it.

2centsworth
02-12-2005, 05:48 PM
"outscoring them 34-19 over the last 9:45."

The whole truth includes the whole 4th qtr, 42 - 20.

"nobody had to be told Bowen's act was the turning point."

Absolutely false. The turning was the start of the 4th qtr.

From the start of the 4th until Carter ejection, Spurs were already on an 8 - 1 run, moving from -12 to -5. In the same 2:15 minutes, NJ committed 2 TO, 2 PF, and 0-2 FG. Nets were struggling to answer the Spurs run , and Carter just flat out lost it.

Vince took the easy way out. Get ejected and avoid being called a choker in the 4th.

Rummpd
02-12-2005, 05:48 PM
It would take an intelligent media (national) to write that and it ain't going to happen = they don't want the truth.

Controversy maybe but no truth.

PM5K
02-12-2005, 05:56 PM
...allowing the Spurs to turn a hopeless evening into a 101-91 victory over the Nets at Continental Airlines Arena.

The Spurs were down by by three and that's a "hopeless evening"? They were on an 8-1 run!

Carter, playing superbly despite a thigh contusion, had 43 points just a few minutes into the fourth period, and had his team leading 72-67.

That's funny because the score never was 67 to 72, it was 66 and 68...

The Nets were done after that: The Spurs took the game away, outscoring them 34-19 over the last 9:45. And considering that the Nets had dominated the best team in the league for the first three quarters -- leading by as many as 16 -- nobody had to be told Bowen's act was the turning point.

"It was huge," said Tim Duncan, who had 16 points, 15 boards and nine assists. "They lost a guy who was 5-for-6 from 3-point (range), seemingly making every shot. They had to go somewhere else to find their points."

"That was probably the only way they were going to stop Vince," Jason Kidd said.

It's too bad that the truth is that Carter had only scored five points in the past ten minutes prior to his ejection....

"A play like that ended my season," Carter said, getting his timetable a bit mixed up. "So there was concern (about) it."

And for the fiftieth time, how can you play TWENTY THREE MORE GAMES if he "ended" your season?

2centsworth
02-12-2005, 06:00 PM
Do they even know how stupid they sound. Excuses everywhere. Thank goodness the spurs don't make excuses.

MannyIsGod
02-12-2005, 06:10 PM
The stories have gotten everything wrong because instead of doing some research, all of the reporters took Carter's quote yesterday at face value.

He's obviously not the bightest bulb in the bunch, and you think reporters would do some fact checking.

Rummpd
02-12-2005, 06:28 PM
NJ Garden State is in reality = Sewer State and no surprise their Journalism is as foul as the odor coming out of there chemical plants, Camden and all their other "garden spots".

You got to remember these papers have to smokescreen corruption every day in that state - may as well pass on the facts on the basketball floor as well.

Useruser666
02-12-2005, 06:43 PM
More Takes.........HEY IX Equilibrium!!!

Banned

Vince Carter
Carter kinda took the highroad last night in his press confrence. He didnt bash Bowen at all, didnt even really explain why he went after Bowen. Most people didn't put together the history of Bowen and Carter had till hours after the game, or till they saw sportscenter. As soon as it happened I knew what Bowen was doing, I knew how Carter would react, and rightfully so. The Refs HAVE GOT TO CONTROL HIM, or he will injure more. Sliding his feet under the jumpshooter is something that Bowen is well-known for.(among other things, but i have no problems with the other things, its gettin in the head of an opponite by basicly trying to take out ankles that i have a problem with.) It's dangerous. I respect everything about Bowen's defense until he pulls that type of BS. Carter was unstoppable, and the only way he wouldnt have scored 55 last night is if Bowen got to him. Bowen had to know how Carter would react, and hoped to rattle him by doing what he does. Im def not saying Bowen did it with the intention to draw Carter into his 2nd tech. (how do u call that a tech?? Im guessin he REALLY said some stuff, otherwise it's jus further showing how bad these refs are...last night was one of the worst officiated games ive seen all year. It has nothing to do with the tech., cuz im sure even a Spurs fan will tell you how pathetic that game was officiated.) I am saying that Bowen wanted 2 get in the head of Carter by bringing up painfull memories of last season.
usrname
View Public Profile
Send a private message to usrname
Find all posts by usrname
Add usrname to Your Buddy List
Old Today, 11:55 AM
Recruit

You've got to be kidding.

As far as reputations go, Vince Carter has the rep of being the biggest baby in the NBA.

I guess it doesn't surprise me that you think Bowen did something wrong last night when their legs got tangled up since you automatically assume that Bowen's actions were intentional last season.

Watch the tape! Bowen didn't do anything wrong. Carter was DRIVING INTO BOWEN (he initiated contact) and they got tangled up! Carter is just stupid for letting his emotions get the best of him. He got the tech and deserved it, and he can't blame anybody but himself.

the call
do you guys think that the vince carter technical was fair during the spurs games. it was obiviously the factor in this game why the nets are losing( and are proabably gunna lose about 45 sec left) and its sorof obivios vince was gunna drop 50 and the nets were gunna proabably win. i think it was sordof unfair i think that the refs should of just let it go he really didnt do anything

JustBBall Member

Favorites:
Jason Kidd,VinceCarter,RJ
New Jersey Nets
it is true what they say bruce bowen is a dirty player. this isnt the first time. he has dont this a lot of times. i remember what he did to mike finley last year in a game. hes a dirty player, unlike rodman he gets away wit things. the nets were goin to win. that eject call was crap

JustBBall Member

Favorites:
|T.Ariza|Jr.Smith|D.Wright|
New York Knicks
Bruce Bowen didnt really do anything wrong. He was playin tough defense and got tangled up. I dont think vince carter should've been ejected but he did overreact.

JBB Team Leader

Favorites:
Brand|Marion|Arenas|Wade|VC|BD
Raptors|Wizards|Clippers
Didn't Bowen try to get under him with the foot again, he did it last year to Vince, that was what caused him to miss most of his time last season, the Bruce Bowen attack.

New York's Finest

Favorites:
Knicks
Actually both of them should have been ejected. Remember last year when Kurt Thomas got ejected for headbutting Josh Howard? Well both of them headbutted each other and they stayed.

This season Officials are RIDICULOUS

JustBBall Member

Favorites:
Wade, Duncan
Rockets
Anytime Bruce Bowen does that, he should get a flagrant foul automatically. It's an obvious dirty, unnecessary physical play. You just can't let a defensive player do that.

JustBBall Member

Favorites:
Vinsanity/Emeka/Josh Smith/
Bobcats
He's done this to Carter (twice), Finley, Melo... who's next?

Cashing In

Favorites:
Vince Carter
Raps, UNC
Him and Vince go back 3-4 years...I don't care if the tangle up with the legs was intentional or not, Bowen should be ejected with Carter if they choose to eject VC. It's all Popvic's fault...he whispered "do something to stop Vince" in Bruce's ear before that play.

JBB Team Leader

Favorites:
Brand|Marion|Arenas|Wade|VC|BD
Raptors|Wizards|Clippers
http://s17.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=...473DP885VV90HEJ

Their's the incident, I think Bowen and Carter are good friends...
JustBBall Member

Favorites:
Jason Kidd, Richard Jefferson
NJ NETS
I do not think that there is anything any ref can do to make Bowen cut that tip-step that he does. I have to admit that he does an extremly good job of acting.
He seems simply place his leg right where the player is going to land, but it seems so slight that you have to really train your eyes to it. I don't blame the refs.

I think that it is entirely unsportsmanlike conduct from Bowen: yes, it is his job to stop a player from scoring, but I do not think that it is at all fair for him to stop someone by injuring them or trying to make the oppenent scared of getting injured. I think that the only way to get some sense into Bowen is to have someone do the same exact thing to him and in effect injure him. I think that the league needs to take notice of Bowen's play and maybe make the ref aware of it, so that further injuries do not occur.

JustBBall Member

Favorites:
vince carter
raptors | nets
bowen undercutting him last year, and the trip this year, was obviously on purpose. No player (unless bowen is THAT dumb) will run his legs into someone's else legs while he is coming down, just to get up the floor.

And the leg slide from last year was so obvious. There is no reason why a person would need to stick his leg out that way (under vince), for the following action (turning his head).

that block on bowen by carter was NASTY. thanks og.

JustBBall Member

Favorites:
Vince Carter
Toronto Raptors
Hopefully this motivates Vince in any way.

New York's Finest

Favorites:
Knicks
The refs were being nice that game. Both of them should have been ejected!

JustBBall Member

Favorites:
|T.Ariza|Jr.Smith|D.Wright|
New York Knicks
I remeber last years. I guess i saw that at different angle or somethine Bowen is slick.

JustBBall Member

Favorites:
Vince Carter
New Jersey Nets
Bruce Bowen should be banned from the NBA if he keeps doing this on purpose. I don't understand how Vince got ejected when he did nothing wrong. The only call that should have been made was a technical and flagrant on Bowen and nothing on Vince.

JustBBall Member

Favorites:
Vince Carter
New Jersey Nets
Bruce Bowen should be banned from the NBA if he keeps doing this on purpose. I don't understand how Vince got ejected when he did nothing wrong. The only call that should have been made was a technical and flagrant on Bowen and nothing on Vince.

New York's Finest

Favorites:
Knicks
Are you kidding? It's a rule that if you headbutt you're automatically ejected for doing that. They should both be suspended too!

JustBBall Member

Favorites:
Jason Kidd,VinceCarter,RJ
New Jersey Nets
i was just wondering. u get ejected after getting two technicals rite? vince and bowen both got technicals for the head butt. then that other incident they also got both technicals, so why did vince only get ejected

Game 50: Spurs 101, Nets 91 - February 11, 2005
Vinstant Meltdown
Superman found his kyptonite tonight. It has something to do with Bruce Bowen, physical play and one too many times on the floor, apparently. And it cost the Nets all the electricity generated by Carter for three quarters, and a late blackout of a loss.

Shockingly easy against the NBA's best defensive squad for three quarters, the Nets rode Vince Carter's insane 43 points to a 12 point lead and what would seemingly be a new Net high for Vince and a well-deserved, scrappy home win against San Antonio. Carter just kept getting increasingly better as the game went on, even with the draggy, clutchy, foul-fest that began in the second quarter. With Tim Duncan, just back from a two game rest due to an ankle sprain, having his problems and the Spurs in general unable to finish around the basket, this one was looking like one of those wins where one player carries the rest.

Indeed, as the fouls piled up (both teams would get the other in foul trouble early in quarters - the Spurs were at the advantage only about 4 minutes in for the second quarter, the Nets turned the tables in the third and had about a 7 minute advantage), the defense on both sides got tighter and tighter, as Bowen became part of Carter's shorts in the third quarter. This led to a head butt face off on an inbounds play that cost both players a technical, setting the stage for the pyrotechnics to come.

With that 12 point lead and Duncan and Tony Parker mostly contained through three quarters, the Nets started the fourth continuing their desire to ride Carter. But the Spurs switched into another gear defensively, chipped the lead quickly down to five when Parker drove the lane and added the free throw before Carter lost it with 9:45 to play and the Nets' single game scoring record (52 points, Mike Newlin and Ray Williams) well in reach.

After missing a highly contested jumper, Carter and Bowen became entangled, with Bowen's leg appearing to wrap around Carter, sending him spinning and crashing to the floor. Carter popped right back up, charging at Bowen before being intercepted by ref Courtney Alexander, leading to a second technical and an automatic DQ. Superman stripped off his cape and trudged to the locker room, defeated not by an opponent but by a rule infraction. That's what's called a game-turner, right there.

And you never want that to be because of a ref's call...

In any case, seeing as how few points had been scored by other Nets, it was asking the impossible for them to keep up the scoring pace that Carter had set. Kidd tried, and failed, and no one was up to the challenge. Spirits broken by Carter's ejection, they were then further crushed by Parker's 17 points and repeated drives through the lane, and Duncan's near triple-double rack-up. After gutting it out and pulling to within one on Ron Mercer's only successful jumper of the game, Parker took care of the Nets, finishing them off with a three pointer and two free throws.

Superman could have taken the Nets on his back to the finish line. Instead, he never got to finish. And the Nets will be rueing this loss for some time to come.

Generating Station
White Hot - Vince Carter was incredible tonight, against the NBA's best defense, unbelievable physical defensive play and having Bruce Bowen's number tatooed on his ass. He had that look like everything he threw in was going in, taking advantage of the Spurs' attempts to stop him by drawing fouls and visiting the line, or popping in a seriously long distance three. Shame we didn't get to see him challenge the Net record for points. Even bigger shame that it was the refs and not the Spurs defense that took that away from Netsfans.
Chernobyl Calls - Ian Eagle and Kelly Tripucka were all over it tonight when the fouls started piling up, calling that fourth quarter "absurd" and "strange" among other things. Numerous times the refs looked to each other for calls, with nothing worse than Carter's ejection. Carter may not have been in the right, but he certainly wasn't doing anything more than reacting to the overly physical play by Bowen. The ejection, on a guy who was single-handedly carrying his team, was bush and showed a certain bias toward the Spurs. Let's face it - it all but handed the game to the Spurs. I'm sure Lawrence Frank will have a hard time keeping his mouth shut on this one...Too many foul calls (the Nets were rung up for 33, handing the Spurs 40 FT's), especially on the Nets' bigs (Collins and Krstic fouled out, Smith had 5) , too much chippy play and too many stoppages took the thrill out of this one.
Power Outtage - Only 6 points from the bench tonight. Not one step-up. Pathetic.
Plug And Plug - First game back. Bad ankle. A first half from hell. And still the NBA's best all around player, Tim Duncan, falls one assist short of a triple double with 16 points, 15 rebounds, and 9 assists. He also led the beating inside, as the Spurs outrebounded the Nets by 16 and outscored them in the paint by 16.
Surge Of Juice - Welcome back, Nenad Krstic, from that coma-like state you'd been in. Energy returned with 17 much-needed points and 8 rebounds. Now, about all those fouls...
Croatian Station - How about some more Zoran, Lawrence? I still don't trust Ron Mercer, at least not yet...

Three Mile Swamp
The Meadowlands was radioactive tonight for three quarters with the power of Vince Carter. Forty-three points in 37 minutes, from every conceivable angle, look, and distance. But, thanks to his instant Vincent Meltdown, Tony Parker and Tim Duncan were able to pull out a game-saving performance late on both ends of the court, showing the world once again why no matter how bad these Spurs play, they can usually be in it at the end thanks to their insane team defense. As for the Nets, one more missed opportunity in a season full of them, one more loss against a Western Conference opponent (6 - 16), and another tough way to lose a ball game.
- Joe
\

superemxguy
Ballboy
Ballboy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 3:06 am Post subject: Bruce Bowen is a dirty player!!! Reply with quote
Bruce Bowen is a dirty player!!!!

Previous season, he is the one who make Vince injured by sneak in his leg into Vince, ( trip him to injured for 3 weeks. ) That is why Vince is so angry when he head butt vince. There is some history between the two.

XenoSphere
Coach
Coach

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 3:16 am Post subject: Reply with quote
Yes, Vince has just told the media he was upset because it was nearly the same thing as last year. Also, see sig.

J_to_the_C
Coach
Coach

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 3:47 am Post subject: Reply with quote
You guys get to finally see how dirty Bruce Bowen is. Luckily VC didn't get injured again. You guys should of seen what happend last year when VC got injured by that move of Bowen when VC landed on the foot of Bowen when he sticked it out while VC was in the air shooting..

Stating the obvious
Scout
Scout

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 3:49 am Post subject: Reply with quote
How can you guys boo Bowen, when I'm sure you loved Kenyon "the intimidator" Martin, Mr Flagrant foul? It seem to me you guys only like dirty/hard defence when it's from the guy on your team. Just like Bulls fans hated Rodman until he joined them. Likewise, if Karl Malone came to the Spurs, they'd like him.

superemxguy
Ballboy
Ballboy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 3:52 am Post subject: Reply with quote
Hey Bruce Lee Owen has all the tricks intended!!!! Keyon does not have that mentallity!!!!!

andrewlemon
Scout
Scout

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 3:52 am Post subject: Reply with quote
Bowan is a no-talented piece of garbage who is trying to pick off NBA Superstars nightly, I hope to God that the NBA steps on here and throws a suspension down to Bowan and Pop.

adil
Scout
Scout

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 4:12 am Post subject: Reply with quote
bowen is a piece of $hit, if the league dosent suspend his ass its a great injustice. that talentless hack needs to be removed from the game of basketball.

Stating the obvious
Scout
Scout

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 4:15 am Post subject: Reply with quote
superemxguy wrote:
Hey Bruce Lee Owen has all the tricks intended!!!! Keyon does not have that mentallity!!!!!

K-Mart used to lead the NBA in Flagrant fouls. Hopefully you know what that word means. Obviously you haven't listened to Tim Thomas lately either...

dacher
Coach
Coach

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 4:21 am Post subject: Reply with quote
Martin is nothing like Bowen. Martin is a simple guy, who in his first and second year used to foul too hard at people going to the basket, that is all. He was never dirty about anything, he just plays with passion and energy. Now Martin keeps it in check, and plays hard, defending with quick foot work and positioning without overdoing things and never flagrent fouling. Martin has talent and heart, and respect for the game.

It sounds like Bowen makes up for no talent with a calculated bag of dirty tricks to get himself the win, especially when he is getting burned by a real talented player.

superemxguy
Ballboy
Ballboy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 4:28 am Post subject: Reply with quote
Next time Bruce Lee Bowen shows his cheap shot martial art in Jersey land, let's BOOOOOO him so hard that he will never forget !!!

superemxguy
Ballboy
Ballboy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 4:29 am Post subject: Reply with quote
Next time Bruce Lee Bowen shows his cheap shot martial art in Jersey land, let's BOOOOOO him so hard that he will never forget !!!

Songaila
Coach
Coach

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 4:51 am Post subject: Reply with quote
But Carter should know about Bowen's reputation and not let Bowen get under his skin. Bowen knew exactly what he was doing and Carter was foolish enough to fall right into it.

MrMrScarface
Assistant GM
Assistant GM

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 4:56 am Post subject: Reply with quote
Bowen is a no-talent piece of sh*t who needs to be run out of the league.

I wish Charles Oakley played for the Nets - I know he can't play anymore - but wouldn't it be fun to hear about beating the hell out of Bowen before the game.

And for the guy who compared Bowen to K-Mart: Kenyon was a very aggressive defender, but he wasn't trying to end a guys career on a cheap shot - plus K-Mart isn't a big pussy like Bowen.

SLIMM07
Scout
Scout

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 4:57 am Post subject: Reply with quote
Songaila wrote:
But Carter should know about Bowen's reputation and not let Bowen get under his skin. Bowen knew exactly what he was doing and Carter was foolish enough to fall right into it.

I agree with what you're saying but still it's easy for us to sit here and say that Vince should not have let Bruce Bowen get under his skin but dude is a dirty player plain and simple he was getting torched so he did what he needed to do to help his team win

MrMrScarface
Assistant GM
Assistant GM

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 5:01 am Post subject: Reply with quote
Bowen needs to be suspended indefinately pending an investigation into numerous past incidents where players have claimed or it has been obvious that he has intentionally attempted to injure them on the court.

Aiming for the legs/knees of someone who has at one time suffered a fairly serious injury requiring surgery is lower than low, especially considering the fact that Bowen is the only reason Vince missed any games at all last season. At that point I doubt that winning the game was at the top of his list of priorities, he probably just did it to keep Vince from dropping 50+ points and embarrassing him.

What a piece of sh*t.

SLIMM07
Scout
Scout

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 5:06 am Post subject: Reply with quote
[quote="MrMrScarface"]Bowen needs to be suspended indefinately pending an investigation into numerous past incidents where players have claimed or it has been obvious that he has intentionally attempted to injure them on the court.

Aiming for the legs/knees of someone who has at one time suffered a fairly serious injury requiring surgery is lower than low, especially considering the fact that Bowen is the only reason Vince missed any games at all last season. At that point I doubt that winning the game was at the top of his list of priorities, he probably just did it to keep Vince from dropping 50+ points and embarrassing him.

What a piece of sh*t.[/quote

yeah I agree with that as well, he couldnt stop him so why not take him out the game by either tech or injury Bruce Bowen is an assh@le plain and simple I can't respect guys that play like that

UNCarquest
Scout
Scout

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 5:26 am Post subject: Reply with quote
Songaila wrote:

Normally I would agree. But Bowen tried to take Carter out with the same scumbag cheapshot move as he did last year which took Carter out for 2 weeks. It's awfully hard to believe that a defender can take out a shooter's legs, especially when he is shooting a fadeaway. TWICE in two years. I don't blame VC for getting mad at all. Bowen is the ultimate cheapshot artist, and even more infuriating, he and his coach hide behind his dirty antics with the "he's just playing hard" excuse. They really need to get him out of the league before he ends up seriously injuring any of the league's superstars.[/i]

View previous topic :: View next topic
Songaila
Coach
Coach

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 4:51 am Post subject: Reply with quote
MrMrScarface
Assistant GM
Assistant GM

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 4:56 am Post subject: Reply with quote
Bowen is a no-talent piece of sh*t who needs to be run out of the league.

I wish Charles Oakley played for the Nets - I know he can't play anymore - but wouldn't it be fun to hear about beating the hell out of Bowen before the game.

And for the guy who compared Bowen to K-Mart: Kenyon was a very aggressive defender, but he wasn't trying to end a guys career on a cheap shot - plus K-Mart isn't a big pussy like Bowen.
SLIMM07
Scout
Scout

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 4:57 am Post subject: Reply with quote
Songaila wrote:

I agree with what you're saying but still it's easy for us to sit here and say that Vince should not have let Bruce Bowen get under his skin but dude is a dirty player plain and simple he was getting torched so he did what he needed to do to help his team win
MrMrScarface
Assistant GM
Assistant GM

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 5:01 am Post subject: Reply with quote
Bowen needs to be suspended indefinately pending an investigation into numerous past incidents where players have claimed or it has been obvious that he has intentionally attempted to injure them on the court.

What a piece of sh*t.
SLIMM07
Scout
Scout

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 5:06 am Post subject: Reply with quote
[quote="MrMrScarface"]Bowen needs to be suspended indefinately pending an investigation into numerous past incidents where players have claimed or it has been obvious that he has intentionally attempted to injure them on the court.

What a piece of sh*t.[/quote

yeah I agree with that as well, he couldnt stop him so why not take him out the game by either tech or injury Bruce Bowen is an assh@le plain and simple I can't respect guys that play like that
UNCarquest
Scout
Scout

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 5:26 am Post subject: Reply with quote
Songaila wrote:

Normally I would agree. But Bowen tried to take Carter out with the same scumbag cheapshot move as he did last year which took Carter out for 2 weeks. It's awfully hard to believe that a defender can take out a shooter's legs, especially when he is shooting a fadeaway. TWICE in two years. I don't blame VC for getting mad at all. Bowen is the ultimate cheapshot artist, and even more infuriating, he and his coach hide behind his dirty antics with the "he's just playing hard" excuse. They really need to get him out of the league before he ends up seriously injuring any of the league's superstars.[/i]
wizardg

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 5:58 am Post subject: Reply with quote
you guys are pathetic snivelers

Game over

Vince came down with his leg on Bowen's side and fell ...
Then he tried to trip Bowen ...
Then he charged Bowen like he was going to do something.

But of course being the gutless person that he is he did nothing but put on a tough guy act. weak

Tell Vince to man up, stop crying like a little beyatch, toughen-up and play ball.
That's how you win championships

Tough is not dishing it out. Anyone can do that. Tough guys are the ones that can take the hit and keep their focus. Tough guys can take the hit and still make the play.

Vince showed himself to be very soft (mentally) tonight - again.
SLIMM07
Scout
Scout

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 6:01 am Post subject: Reply with quote
This Vince Cater hate is getting out of hand seriously, people can't make a comment about Vince with using the words "bitch" or "punk" getting really tired to be honest
XenoSphere
Coach
Coach

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 6:05 am Post subject: Reply with quote
wizardg wrote:

Game over

But of course being the gutless person that he is he did nothing but put on a tough guy act. weak

Tell Vince to man up, stop crying like a little beyatch, toughen-up and play ball.

Tough is not dishing it out. Anyone can do that. Tough guys are the ones that can take the hit and keep their focus. Tough guys can take the hit and still make the play.

^That is coming from a guy who has enough spare time on his hands to be an internet forum moderator. *kissy face* Muah! I do question your moderating skills and YOUR mental toughness.

And Vince was angry because this was the 2nd time Bowen had tried to take him out. How is that soft?
wizardg

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 6:10 am Post subject: Reply with quote
XenoSphere wrote:
-= original quote snipped =-

^That is coming from a guy who has enough spare time on his hands to be an internet forum moderator. *kissy face* Muah! I do question your moderating skills and YOUR mental toughness.

And Vince was angry because this was the 2nd time Bowen had tried to take him out. How is that soft?

Because if you really think someone is trying to take you out, trying to huert you ...

then you do what you have to do. Talk is cheap.
What did Vince accomplish ....
Nothing but getting himself ejected.
wizardg

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 6:13 am Post subject: Reply with quote
I like Vince

I'd love to have him on the spurs Pop would toughen him up.
hotsauce901
Scout
Scout

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 6:52 am Post subject: Reply with quote
wizardg wrote:
I like Vince

i doubt u would want him after bowen injures him purposely in practice

SLIMM07
Scout
Scout

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 6:01 am Post subject: Reply with quote
This Vince Cater hate is getting out of hand seriously, people can't make a comment about Vince with using the words "bitch" or "punk" getting really tired to be honest

XenoSphere
Coach
Coach

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 6:05 am Post subject: Reply with quote
wizardg wrote:

Game over

wizardg

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 6:10 am Post subject: Reply with quote
XenoSphere wrote:

Because if you really think someone is trying to take you out, trying to huert you ...

then you do what you have to do. Talk is cheap.
What did Vince accomplish ....
Nothing but getting himself ejected.

wizardg

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 6:13 am Post subject: Reply with quote
I like Vince

andrewlemon
Scout
Scout

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 8:19 am Post subject: Reply with quote
SLIMM07 wrote:

This is the stuff I have been putting up with since Carter came into the league, Everyone hates the guy except me and some Net fans.

I am glad that he is a Net now because at least most of their fans get to see his talent and can appreciate him, I really don't understand why everyone has so much hate for him, maybe because he was in Canada for so long?

GO VINCE GO

SpeedyG
Real GM
Real GM

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 8:45 am Post subject: Reply with quote
Yeah I love how Bowen, who was coming down, suddenly lifted his left leg as Carter was coming down.

I mean, did you guys see how high Carter's leg was in the air BEFORE he got tripped? His leg was ALMOST AT A 90 degree angle!!!!

How, for the love of me, I could not understand how Bowen's leg just "happened" to trip him.

aggressivestyle
Assistant GM
Assistant GM

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 9:02 am Post subject: Reply with quote
wizardg wrote:

Game over

wow...as a non net/spurs fan and not a guy that speaks highly about vince much...

while i was watching the cavs game they showed both techs that was put on carter...You can try to make bowens to be the "Good Guy" in this situation...but im sorry he's just not the good guy in this situation!

Bowens does this when someone's distroying his "Image" as a great defender! When someone lights him up he will do anything to stop it even trying to hurt someone.

Bowens if im not mistaken hurt carter b4 with the exact same move?

now thats sad...

bowens is just not what the nba needs....

edit:By the way...Carter has never lost his cool and got ejected from a game at any level...but that would change for anyone when they knows a guy has hurt him b4 and tried to do it again!

just think about it.... lets say i just broke your ankle last yr...and then we meet up this yr and i tried to break it again! Wouldnt you be mad and come after me? Don't say no...cuz i just know thats not true and you are just finding ways to defended him! I know if i was in that positions and you played bowens role....i'll make sure you have no teeth and i'll make sure you won't be able to walk off the court!

and im not a violent person!

aggressivestyle
Assistant GM
Assistant GM

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 9:43 am Post subject: Reply with quote
XenoSphere wrote:

altho i agree with your last line....i don't think you should call him out about his moderating skill or lack there of...just stick to what he writes! Moderators are people...just cuz they are moderators don't mean they are smarter than you! and if they aren't smarter than you that doesnt mean they can't be moderators!

ps:not saying your not a smart mod or anything wiz!

enetric
Real GM
Real GM

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 9:49 am Post subject: Reply with quote
Stating the obvious wrote:

K-Mart used to lead the NBA in Flagrant fouls. Hopefully you know what that word means. Obviously you haven't listened to Tim Thomas lately either...

Using Tim Thomas just killed your argument.

When did Kmart lead the league in flagrants? And when did he commit a flagrant on Timmy the whinny Bitch?

Kmart had that one stretch a few years back where he stood up to OTHER dirty flagrant guys...LIKE MALONE...the guy he tried to decapitate ONCE.

And from that the whole thing grew as urban legend.

He sent a message that even if you are NBA royalty...if you are dirty he will f*ck you up. And it worked.

enetric
Real GM
Real GM

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 10:02 am Post subject: Reply with quote
Songaila wrote:

I agree with this. Bowen IS a no talent hack who makes his bones doing the little things.

You could even see POp getting hot as VC was torching the Spurs making a sub and saying..."I dont care what the F*ck you have to do...STOP that f*cking motherf*cker! "

Anyone else catch that? It was several minutes before the ejection.

However, VC fell for it. WOuld I have? Hell yes. I would have thrown a punch and been out for 5 games. Or, I would have done what Nenad did a few weeks back and throw an elbow to the face.

I would have lost my mind and tried to literally break Bowen's nose. So its easy for me to say...VC shouldnt have gotten sucked in.

The officials did a terrible job all night. Both ways. Pop got in their face about some no calls. But instead of sticking to that...they started calling a lot of the wrong ones.

They were conferencing all night on too many things. Whenever you cant get it right there is trouble. But once they pulled out the whistles...they should have blown one or two for all the holding and slapping Bowen was doing.

Bowen didnt try to trip VC on that play. It was a tangle up. But he was doing a great job of man handling VC. Grabbing him, slapping him...headbutting him.

VC got suckered with that cheap first tech.

ANd SA would take Bowen for any teams superstar in an ejection any night.

I dont think Bowne tried to hurt anyone. But he does try to bang you around. Try to get in your head. And he has no shame at how he does it. He is a Pop's dog. Not an intimidator...more like his little pestering pee on your leg type.

And he got the job done. Well done. Tip your hat to him. Even if you hated it...he did what he was sent in there to do.

I will tell you who I missed tonight. Lucious Harris. The only actual dirty Net of the last few years. Kmart was physical. But Lu is the one guy we had who would have tried to maul someone the next play.

And tonight that is what you needed not to get pick pocketed out of a win. One shot to Parker's throat with a forearm. A well placed knee to Gino's balls.

enetric
Real GM
Real GM

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 10:14 am Post subject: Reply with quote
wizardg wrote:

Game over

If you werent a mod...this post would be viewed as straight up trolling. And what's more it also shows that you are a punk for needing to come off like this rather than just taking your win.

Bowen did his job. But for you to act like VC is less of a man for not throwing a punch when he is on his way to 50 to get into a fight with a scrub ballplayer? And then in the reverse he is not touhg BECAUSE he didnt turn the other cheek? Your post tried to play it both ways and that makes you a punk.

Your coach has a thug mentatility. And honestly I have no problem with that. But for you to feel the need to defend it like you are some sort of tough guy on an oposing team's board?

Just shows that the only BITCH around here isnt VC...its YOU. Because a guy like you would never walk into an oposing arena or a neighborhood bar and speak like this. You wouldnt be man enough to yap this stuff out loud if you werent sitting safely in your Mom's house wearing your feety Power Ranger pajamas.

ANd if you actually think you are man enough to refute this...just let me know when you will be in the NY metro area so we can meet up for you to say it to my face.

If you dont pee down your leg I will gladly take you into any bar you like and buy.

Sacramento fan
Coach
Coach

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 4:17 pm Post subject: Reply with quote
The most dirty in league.

lurkingobeiscity
Coach
Coach

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 5:32 pm Post subject: Reply with quote
Bowen'sGayLover wrote:

Game over

Yeah Vince should try to injure people too. I hope next time you play basketball you get undercut and break you're arm so I can tell you to toughen up.

Vince probably would have hit him if the ref didn't get in the way.

Enetric.... how can you say he didn't do it on purpose?!?! It was a FADEAWAY JUMPER!!!! Bowen got under him on a fadeaway! How is that possible unless you're trying to do it? On top of that he's done it before. He was harassing Vince the whole game. That headbutt was just proof that all of it was on purpose and if anyone has a clip of the baseline angle they had on that (from YES network) show it.

If tough guys are the ones who can take the hit then Vince would be the tough guy here anyway seeing how he was the one getting hit all night... and still dropping 43 with time left.

FVCK BOWEN!

SpeedyG
Real GM
Real GM

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 7:53 pm Post subject: Reply with quote
Enetric, at first glance, what Bowen did looks natural. But watch it in slow-motion and you will see it is EXACTLY like what he did a year ago that sprained Carter's ankle.

At first I thought it was just a regular tie up as well, but after seeing it, I quickly changed my mind.

There is no way Bowen could have ended up in the position he was from his previous motion unless he intended to get under Carter.

Think about it. Picture this in your head.

The guy you are defending is fading away. You jump to contest the shot, fading sideways, with your left side to him. As you are coming down, your left leg SWINGS UP and INSIDE the man you are defending, which places your left leg under him as he is coming down.

When have you ever seen ANYONE challenge a jumpshooter, with momentum going forward, and his leg on an upswing? NEVER. When a jumpshooter fades, it's common for one of his legs to swing upwards to balance his weight. But when you're defending? Both your legs stay parallel to the floor. What Bowen did is a practiced technique by a player. Like the slight shove to the back while someone's jumping for a rebound, or the tug on the shorts down move.

enetric
Real GM
Real GM

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 8:43 pm Post subject: Reply with quote
I agree compeletely guys. I was just trying to make a point.

You see, whenver these things happens trhe reverse argument is always predicated on two things.

A Bill CLinton-esque argument that says...its been done before...so what's the big deal...

Or there is the flat out denial that THIS time it wasnt on prupose so what;'s the problem? Flat out denial.

I was trying to show that...hey...whetehr you can prove it or not...that joke of a post by the Spurs Vibrator...I mean moderator...(oops)

was a joke. The guy does it all the time. There is a pattern. Even IF this exact moment wasnt on purpose everything he does leads you to believe that is his game.

Therefore, by not arguring the intent...counter points one or two are IRELAVENT.

I will also saythat I was so angry last night that I felt like I had been violated.

Trust my there was a lot of cynicism in my post.

TD is the MAN
Real GM
Real GM

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 8:50 pm Post subject: Reply with quote
I have not posted in a long while and for some strange reason i agree with enetric, but here are my views on the situation.

Vince was have a great streak of games, and this game was no different. I am not going to defend bowen in his part of the game. I didn't see the whole game. Nevertheless I think he is a an effective Defender no matter what everyone else thinks. He didn't try to hurt anyone. I do find it funny that everyone give him crap about how he plays the game. He was just born in the wrong era. In the 80's his type of physical D was the norm.

Vince should have known better than to get in a beef with Bowen. It doesn't hurt the spurs if he gets ejected compared to VC. I do think Bowen should have been ejected with VC BTW. Rodman would do the exact same thing to players and no one would ever question how he plays the game. I will say this, Kobe,Tmac, and RAy would prolly never get into that type of situation with Bowen, and that is what separates them from VC.

TD is the MAN
Real GM
Real GM

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 8:57 pm Post subject: Reply with quote
BTW, Mods are regular posters as well and have as much right to post on other boards. They can post whatever they want in a tasteful manner as it is standard edquicate, but it is up to the Mod of whatever board to allow what post to been seen and if it is rude or distasteful he will PM about it. Mods are fans of their teams and can be biased to their team just like regular posters.

superemxguy
Ballboy
Ballboy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 9:04 pm Post subject: Reply with quote
TD is the MAN wrote:
I will say this, Kobe,Tmac, and RAy would prolly never get into that type of situation with Bowen, and that is what separates them from VC.

Yeah but, Tmac never got injured by Bowen for 3 weeks.

I think Vince did the right thing, by go after Bowen!!!!
Its nice to see Vince fired up on Bowen.

Believe me, is someone going to hurt me twice in 2 consecutive years, I would hurt him 10 folds.

SpeedyG
Real GM
Real GM

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 9:05 pm Post subject: Reply with quote
There's no denying that Bowen can play defense. I've seen him play good sound defense, and I have no problem with it. I'm not blasting Bowen as a player. Because him, Artest, Nocioni, they all do the same thing. I am however, blasting him for this specific play.

andrewlemon
Scout
Scout

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 9:22 pm Post subject: Reply with quote
TD is the MAN wrote:
I have not posted in a long while and for some strange reason i agree with enetric, but here are my views on the situation.

Vince was have a great streak of games, and this game was no different. I am not going to defend bowen in his part of the game. I didn't see the whole game. Nevertheless I think he is a an effective Defender no matter what everyone else thinks. He didn't try to hurt anyone. I do find it funny that everyone give him crap about how he plays the game. He was just born in the wrong era. In the 80's his type of physical D was the norm.

Vince should have known better than to get in a beef with Bowen. It doesn't hurt the spurs if he gets ejected compared to VC. I do think Bowen should have been ejected with VC BTW. Rodman would do the exact same thing to players and no one would ever question how he plays the game. I will say this, Kobe,Tmac, and RAy would prolly never get into that type of situation with Bowen, and that is what separates them from VC.

I assuem you mean Ray Allen. Didn't Allen and piece of sh*t (Bowen) already get into something like this? I know that Ray Allen said after a game that Bowen is a dirty player and that Ray felt he tried to hurt him in a game.

TD is the MAN
Real GM
Real GM

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 9:37 pm Post subject: Reply with quote
Ray would prolly never get ejected from a game that he was scoring at will. They have had their beefs but Ray has also had his fair share of beefs with other players around the NBA. Ray said he mentioned TD in the allstar break last yr about how dirty he was during game. Peja for some strange reason chipped in and said he wasn't dirty. You can try and look for links but that is what i know. In was in the seattle paper Seattle Inteliger something...

enetric
Real GM
Real GM

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 10:01 pm Post subject: Reply with quote
The fact tyhat you single VC out as a guy who would get into this away from thsoe gus shos some severe bias on your part TD.

And we have seen a lot of this.

Why do I say its biased of you? Because itrs the first ejection of VC's basketball life.

AT ANY LEVEL. HS, College, or pros. First time.

Your peception of him isnt right in this case.
TD is the MAN
Real GM
Real GM

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 10:10 pm Post subject: Reply with quote
enetric wrote:
The fact tyhat you single VC out as a guy who would get into this away from thsoe gus shos some severe bias on your part TD.

And we have seen a lot of this.

Why do I say its biased of you? Because itrs the first ejection of VC's basketball life.

AT ANY LEVEL. HS, College, or pros. First time.

Your peception of him isnt right in this case.

He lacks professionalism. He has stated in the past that he didn't given 100% to his team and just go thru the motion to collect the paycheck, he slacked off to get traded, his mom(instead of him) is telling the whole world that he got into some type of altercation with his coach, and in a game that he was scoring at will and prolly would have helped his team seal the win, but he let a role player get him out of the game. If you want to deny any of these facts it is ok by me, but from what i have seen and heard he lacks the professionalism of the players stated above. T-mac, I will reconzied that he took days off from the magic thou BTW.

Oh yeah sorry for the long post! :lol

BronxCowboy
02-12-2005, 07:00 PM
All I have to say is if a guy is charging someone, trying to start a fight, how can that not be a technical? Franks is a dumbass, as are these other jokers who are bitching abour Carter's ejection.

infinite styles
02-12-2005, 10:11 PM
I don't know but with everybody around the nation making sympathy cases for Carter I almost feel compelled to feel sorry for the guy. But then I remember how much of a momma's boy cry baby he is. I'm sorry but if you think for a minute that bowen intentionally slid his foot under Carter while he and and not to mention had the sure genius to know exactly where he was going to land at that instance then your simply a FUCKING MORON! WTH, are we going to do this everytime a player rolls his ankle on somebodies foot cause if thats the case then Ira Newble should have been chastized out of the league when Kobe landed on his foot, and Udonis Haslem should have been ejected for putting his foot in the spot that was rightfully Emeka Okafur's when he sprained his ankle, and the list could go on.
My analisyst from this whole situation is the the league is full of a bunch of overpaid piss-ant's that can't take player actually getting in their shit. There are only two guys left in the league that are under 7 foot and play actual annoy the hell out of you defense and thats Artest and Bowen and they just so happen to be the two most criticized and pressumed "dirty" players in the L. And thats my 2 cents.

N.Y. Johnny
02-12-2005, 11:02 PM
Fuck new Jersey and their fishhacks!
they're hasn't been ever anything good to come from or out of New Jersey since Springsteen, I could care less what they think over there, after all they are NY's landfill and the toilet bowl up on the East coast :lol

:flipoff

NCaliSpurs
02-12-2005, 11:58 PM
Scoreboard.

Some are still bitter about '02-'03.

boutons
02-13-2005, 02:41 AM
"Artest"

... is a great defender, but his long history of insane flagrant fouls separates him fully from Bowen.