PDA

View Full Version : False but justified

Yonivore
10-06-2008, 09:06 PM
Four years ago, mainstream media peddled their bias with Dan Rather’s famous phrase, “fake but accurate.” This year we are treated to its corollary: False but justified.

Sebastian Mallaby (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/10/05/AR2008100501253.html) couples the following two points in his Washington Post column:

1. The Obama campaign is falsely blaming the financial mess on McCain-style deregulation.

2. It is “mostly justified” that Obama reap the benefit.
It is justified because the author says Obama is “more thoughtful on the economy.” That’s it.

Being more thoughtful does not mean being right, but being right is apparently not as important as being thoughtful. It comforts liberals to envision people thinking hard about difficult questions, even when they come up with the wrong answer. Consequences be damned.

Really, I’m not making this up. Here’s the money paragraph from Mallaby:

The financial turmoil has pushed the Obama campaign into the lead, and this is mostly justified. Barack Obama is more thoughtful on the economy than his opponent, and his bench of advisers is superior. But there’s a troubling side to the Democratic advance. The claim that the financial crisis reflects Bush-McCain deregulation is not only nonsense. It is the sort of nonsense that could matter.
Have no fear; Obama is thinking. His superior advisers who give the wrong answers are better than a cadre of mediocre advisers pushing wise policy.

So blaming deregulation for the financial mess is misguided. But it is dangerous, too, because one of the big challenges for the next president will be to defend markets against the inevitable backlash that follows this crisis.
False, dangerous, misguided . . . and justified. Liberalism in a nutshell.

ElNono
10-06-2008, 09:11 PM
Please quote where in the article the author states it's false.
Actually, quote ANYWHERE in the article where the word "FALSE" appears.

Thanks.

/thread

boutons_
10-06-2008, 09:13 PM
"falsely blaming the financial mess on McCain-style deregulation."

cherry picking bullshit, are you?

It's not false at all. Deregulation and lax enforcement were huge contributors to mess.

Yonivore
10-06-2008, 09:14 PM
Please quote where in the article the author states it's false.
Actually, quote ANYWHERE in the article where the word "FALSE" appears.

Thanks.

/thread
Miss this?

But there’s a troubling side to the Democratic advance. The claim that the financial crisis reflects Bush-McCain deregulation is not only nonsense. It is the sort of nonsense that could matter.
An intelligent person would say calling a claim nonsense is the same as saying it is false.

Shastafarian
10-06-2008, 09:15 PM
Four years ago, mainstream media peddled their bias with Dan Rather’s famous phrase, “fake but accurate.” This year we are treated to its corollary: False but justified.

Sebastian Mallaby (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/10/05/AR2008100501253.html) couples the following two points in his Washington Post column:

It is justified because the author says Obama is “more thoughtful on the economy.” That’s it.

Being more thoughtful does not mean being right, but being right is apparently not as important as being thoughtful. It comforts liberals to envision people thinking hard about difficult questions, even when they come up with the wrong answer. Consequences be damned.

Really, I’m not making this up. Here’s the money paragraph from Mallaby:

Have no fear; Obama is thinking. His superior advisers who give the wrong answers are better than a cadre of mediocre advisers pushing wise policy.

False, dangerous, misguided . . . and justified. Liberalism in a nutshell.

Is this your own work or did you find this on a nice, right-wing website? If you did find it on the interwebs, why don't ya go ahead and post the link to it?

Yonivore
10-06-2008, 09:17 PM
Is this your own work or did you find this on a nice, right-wing website? If you did find it on the interwebs, why don't ya go ahead and post the link to it?

I stole it. But, the article in which the "false but justified" claim is advanced, is linked in the post -- that I didn't write.

Did you miss the hyperlink?

exstatic
10-06-2008, 09:20 PM

CUT and PASTE

Yoni never gives credit or links. He also never has an original thought, so it's pretty much a given that whatever he posts is plagiarized.

ElNono
10-06-2008, 09:20 PM
An intelligent person would say calling a claim nonsense is the same as saying it is false.

Not really. Saying something makes no sense means:
a) You don't understand said thing
b) You don't agree with said thing

None of the above imply said thing to be false.

Yonivore
10-06-2008, 09:21 PM
CUT and PASTE

Yoni never gives credit or links. He also never has an original thought, so it's pretty much a give that whatever he posts is plagiarized.
There was a link in the post.

ChumpDumper
10-06-2008, 09:23 PM
Yoni is stealing from a blog called Leather Penguin.

http://leatherpenguin.com/wordpress/?p=4001

I really don't want to know what he was trying to google to come across that.

Yonivore
10-06-2008, 09:23 PM
Not really. Saying something makes no sense means:
a) You don't understand said thing
b) You don't agree with said thing

None of the above imply said thing to be false.
Okay, have it your way; they're claiming it is nonsensical but justified. Just as bad.

ChumpDumper
10-06-2008, 09:24 PM
There was a link in the post.Not to the blog you plagiarized, dumbass.

exstatic
10-06-2008, 09:26 PM
Yoni is stealing from a blog called Leather Penguin.

http://leatherpenguin.com/wordpress/?p=4001

I really don't want to know what he was trying to google to come across that.

Chumpdumper, FTW! :lol

Yonivore
10-06-2008, 09:31 PM
Chumpdumper, FTW! :lol
Doesn't change the content of the article linked. And, I wasn't googling...it was linked to another blog I read.

Quite a dig there, from a poster named Spunkdumpster. Did I misspell that?

ChumpDumper
10-06-2008, 09:41 PM
Doesn't change the content of the article linked.Doesn't change the fact that you're a fucking plagiarist who lied about the link.

You're a thief and a liar incapable of having an original thought and you prove it every day.