PDA

View Full Version : San Antonio remaining one of the elite

DaBears
10-07-2008, 10:50 AM
With current roster does San Antonio spurs have enough fire power and energy to keep up with the rest of the league's up and comming .

I. Hustle
10-07-2008, 10:51 AM
yes. next question

DaBears
10-07-2008, 10:55 AM
Even with the added youth to the roster i see San Antonio taking a small step backwards instead of forwards. But know they are still an elite squad.

ididnotnothat
10-07-2008, 11:01 AM
They can do it but it will be very hard.

BlackSwordsMan
10-07-2008, 11:04 AM
meh we'll see

xtremesteven33
10-07-2008, 11:26 AM
I think this squad is better than last years. And unfairly, the Lakers and Rockets will also be better than last year. with that said, i wouldnt put money on the spurs taking it all this year but i still wouldnt count them out as top 3 teams to win it all.

Flux451
10-07-2008, 11:35 AM
I would bet on the spurs this year.

T Park
10-07-2008, 11:44 AM
I think this team is gonna suprise people honestly

WildcardManu
10-07-2008, 01:09 PM
Mason will be a pleasant surprise.

tlongII
10-07-2008, 01:12 PM
If Ginobili is healthy by All Star break you should be competitive later in the season. November and December will be ugly for the Spurs.

JamStone
10-07-2008, 01:17 PM
It depends what your personal definition of "elite" is.

If it means still a solid contender for the title and one of the top 5 or so teams in the league, I'd probably say yes but it's close. I think the Spurs are anywhere from as high as 3 to maybe as low as 7 or 8 in the league.

If your definition points to the very best teams in the league with the most likely shot to win a title (should all teams stay healthy), then I don't think the Spurs are anymore. I think it's the Boston Celtics and Los Angeles Lakers and then everyone else.

JamStone
10-07-2008, 01:18 PM
I think this team is gonna suprise people honestly

That could mean any number of things good or bad honestly

rAm
10-07-2008, 01:20 PM
It depends what your personal definition of "elite" is.

If it means still a solid contender for the title and one of the top 5 or so teams in the league, I'd probably say yes but it's close. I think the Spurs are anywhere from as high as 3 to maybe as low as 7 or 8 in the league.

If your definition points to the very best teams in the league with the most likely shot to win a title (should all teams stay healthy), then I don't think the Spurs are anymore. I think it's the Boston Celtics and Los Angeles Lakers and then everyone else.

Boston won't win again.

mrspurs
10-07-2008, 01:44 PM
With current roster does San Antonio spurs have enough fire power and energy to keep up with the rest of the league's up and comming .

Id say pretty much every team in the nba has enough fire power and energy. What most teams dont have is a big 3 or like i alway include bruce big 4. On paper its easy to see we're not as good as alot of the better teams. But thats just on paper. Noones played a game yet. With every season one injury could stop your team from going anywhere and theres always injuries. You can never forget about the basketball gods. Timmys 3 against the suns in game 1 was from the basketball gods. Blowing a 20 point lead against LA in game 1 was the basketball gods. When 2 great teams go at it and all the players are basically healthy sometimes its up to luck which i call the basketball gods.

mrspurs
10-07-2008, 01:47 PM
Even with the added youth to the roster i see San Antonio taking a small step backwards instead of forwards. But know they are still an elite squad.

I dont see us as taking a step backwards as much as i see other teams making a step forward. Getting rid of horry and brent and picking up roger and tolliver isnt a step backwards.:wow

DROB4EVER
10-07-2008, 02:18 PM
Its a trip to see how people are writting off the spurs this year. Boston is old as we are and yet they manage to be labled a mature team.

It all boils down to how much Mason, Ian give us. I dont think Hill will be a factor this year other than in garbage time. But two people I think could be key for use is Fin and Stoutimire. Fin has lost a bunch of weight and doing so will make him quicker, a better shooter and maybe even turn him back into a good finisher around the rim. I think his struggles the last two years were due to playing at to heavy a weight.

The latter signing if his ankle is Ok and he makes the team could give use a pargo type spark off the bench. Looking at our bench we are much better this year and as deep or deeper than any team.

I see us as a top 2 team unless we have a major injury after midseason. Manu will be rested and hungery after last years struggles.

Lakers will likely lose matchup advantages by having Gasol move to PF where his speed is average and Bynum will slow the fast break game. But they will be better defensively. Mark my words Odom will be a bust this year, they will look to dump him by mid season and Ariza will be the starting SF.

JamStone
10-07-2008, 02:47 PM
Boston won't win again.

That doesn't mean they aren't an elite team.

And, the team that ultimately wins the title won't necessarily be an "elite" team. See the 2004 Detroit Pistons. As much as Pistons fans want to argue they have been one of the elite teams in the league over the past five or so years, they certainly weren't viewed that way except for maybe the 2005-06 season. And, they certainly weren't viewed as an elite team in their 2003-04 championship season.

Boston can be one of the two best teams in the league and not win the title. See the 2006-07 Dallas Mavericks. And, like I pointed out with the '04 Pistons, a team that is not elite can win the title if everything goes right for that team at the right times.

DPG21920
10-07-2008, 03:02 PM
The Spurs have been so far ahead of the league for the past 6 years that they were the only elite team. Now, other teams have caught up. The Spurs still have the best big 3 when healthy. Besides the Lakers who have the best supporting cast, the Spurs have just as much as every other team.

koriwhat
10-07-2008, 03:21 PM
we still have duncan on this squad right? yeah... then my answer is a hell yeah the spurs are still an elite team.

century
10-07-2008, 04:50 PM
Unfortunately, this year is going to be one hell of a reality check for the Spurs and their fans. May the complete retooling commence.