PDA

View Full Version : Cowboy Fans

peewee's lovechild
10-07-2008, 11:45 AM
- That defense has me worried like never before.

- Jerry Jones publically backing up T.O. and saying that he was going to make sure they throw more to T.O. makes me want to put out a hit on his life.

- We should've killed the Bengals.

- Romo doesn't look right. Do you guy's think it has to do with the pressure to find ways to throw it to T.O.

- If we don't beat Arizona, I'm gonna go ape shit and set the city of Dallas on fire.

That's all I've got for now.

Obstructed_View
10-07-2008, 12:03 PM
The "Team Obliterator" miasma begins to take effect.

It's an interesting point you bring up. could Romo be pouting because there's team focus on keeping receivers happy rather than winning games? I doubt it, but it's a thought.

I think I'd rather root for a crappy team that plays hard than one full of talented players that goes through the motions, pouts and cries. At least you knew the Cowboys of the 90s were going to beat the shit out of someone on Sunday.

Dirk Nowitzki
10-07-2008, 12:19 PM
The "Team Obliterator" miasma begins to take effect.

It's an interesting point you bring up. could Romo be pouting because there's team focus on keeping receivers happy rather than winning games? I doubt it, but it's a thought.

I think I'd rather root for a crappy team that plays hard than one full of talented players that goes through the motions, pouts and cries. At least you knew the Cowboys of the 90s were going to beat the shit out of someone on Sunday.

You have never liked Owens so I bet you are hoping he ruins this team. Does it piss you off when Owens scores touchdowns and helps the team out? How the hell can you hate one of the Cowboys players especially one of their best ones?

Obstructed_View
10-07-2008, 02:22 PM
You have never liked Owens so I bet you are hoping he ruins this team. Does it piss you off when Owens scores touchdowns and helps the team out? How the hell can you hate one of the Cowboys players especially one of their best ones?

I've probably been a Cowboys fan since before you were born, so I'm never for anything that ruins the team, but I have to say that denying the ball to Barber and Jones while you go out of your way to get the ball to TO in a loss isn't exactly my idea of success.

I'd be perfectly happy whether he gets four touchdowns in a game or has two catches for nine yards so long as the team wins. It'd be a bonus if he doesn't lead the league in drops, or at very least if he'd shut the fuck up. The time for him to stop taking questions in post game interviews is a year ago.

By the way, there is some suggestion on the radio up here that Owens had a death in the family on Friday, and that's why he was crying on the sideline on Sunday. Don't know if it's true; it came out on Michael Irvin's show.

Trainwreck2100
10-07-2008, 03:00 PM
this team is too predicated on the big play and it will cost them like it did in the Washington game.

Obstructed_View
10-07-2008, 03:15 PM
this team is too predicated on the big play and it will cost them like it did in the Washington game.

You must not have been watching them run the ball the week before and the week after. What cost them in the Washington game is that they didn't even try to run it.

samikeyp
10-07-2008, 03:37 PM
You must not have been watching them run the ball the week before and the week after. What cost them in the Washington game is that they didn't even try to run it.

I agree. To Washington's credit, they stopped it early so the Cowboys coaches seemed to give up on it and try too hard to get the ball to TO. I put that game on the Cowboys coaches. The Skins basically dared Dallas to beat them without Barber and TO and the Cowboys didn't even try. Washington had that game won early. Zorn looked like the guy who had been a head coach for years and Wade looked like the dude who was 4 games into his career.

Obstructed_View
10-07-2008, 04:32 PM
I agree. To Washington's credit, they stopped it early so the Cowboys coaches seemed to give up on it and try too hard to get the ball to TO. I put that game on the Cowboys coaches. The Skins basically dared Dallas to beat them without Barber and TO and the Cowboys didn't even try. Washington had that game won early. Zorn looked like the guy who had been a head coach for years and Wade looked like the dude who was 4 games into his career.

Yeah, Washington came to play, but it's disappointing that Dallas didn't. When the corners are playing really tight and giving your receivers fits, there's no harm in beating on them with the running game for a while. The Wade Phillips era looks like a bust to me. Before long he'll be whining about the officiating just like he did in Buffalo.

Dirk Nowitzki
10-07-2008, 07:31 PM
I've probably been a Cowboys fan since before you were born, so I'm never for anything that ruins the team, but I have to say that denying the ball to Barber and Jones while you go out of your way to get the ball to TO in a loss isn't exactly my idea of success.

I'd be perfectly happy whether he gets four touchdowns in a game or has two catches for nine yards so long as the team wins. It'd be a bonus if he doesn't lead the league in drops, or at very least if he'd shut the fuck up. The time for him to stop taking questions in post game interviews is a year ago.

By the way, there is some suggestion on the radio up here that Owens had a death in the family on Friday, and that's why he was crying on the sideline on Sunday. Don't know if it's true; it came out on Michael Irvin's show.

It could be worse. We could have a star receiver in Randy Moss who is afraid to catch a pass in the middle of the field if there is a great risk he will have to take a tough hit, who will take plays off, who isnt a very good blocker.

I agree with force feeding TO isnt the way to go. I am not a fan of distractions but Owens is a risk worth taking considering he is the best WR in the NFL. The guy hustles his ass off on the field, is tough as hell, and is very talented. Owens isnt going to cause team implosion. These are his final years at big money and at playing in his prime.

Obstructed_View
10-07-2008, 07:56 PM
It could be worse. We could have a star receiver in Randy Moss who is afraid to catch a pass in the middle of the field if there is a great risk he will have to take a tough hit, who will take plays off, who isnt a very good blocker.

I agree with force feeding TO isnt the way to go. I am not a fan of distractions but Owens is a risk worth taking considering he is the best WR in the NFL. The guy hustles his ass off on the field, is tough as hell, and is very talented. Owens isnt going to cause team implosion. These are his final years at big money and at playing in his prime.

I wish I were that confident. He's shit on pro bowl quarterbacks before, and he's shit on super bowl contenders before. He's hustled this year, and there's no denying his talent. He's here the same reason Charles Barkley went to Phoenix. Not to sell tickets, not to generate interest, not to make the playoffs. If the Cowboys don't win super bowls with him, he's a failure.

BradLohaus
10-07-2008, 10:08 PM
TO needs an Alvin Harper... or even a Kevin Williams.

Seriously though, is Crayton never open or has Romo just stopped looking at him? I can't tell.

Given the attention that TO gets and the number of times Romo targets JW every game I can't see how Crayton has had, like, one ball thrown his way per game the last 2 weeks.

duncan228
10-07-2008, 11:03 PM
Cowboys Mailbag: Cowboys could use some of the Spurs' mental toughness (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Cowboys_Mailbag_Cowboys_could_use_some_of_the_Spur s_mental_toughness.html)
Tom Orsborn - Express-News

The Cowboys would be wise to start emulating another Texas pro team.

That’s right, it’s time for America’s team to be more like South Texas’ team.

If the Cowboys were more like the Spurs, we’d never hear Bradie James — a so-called team leader — moaning about the unfair treatment he and his teammates received from the fans and media after nearly squandering a 17-point lead at home to the winless Bengals.

“Man, I’ve never seen anything like it,” James said. “We come in here, and I guess everybody expects us to be some kind of superheroes, which in essence we kind of are, but man ... I come in here on Monday, and I’m trying to enjoy my win, and people are, like, beating us up.

“So it’s really tough, man. Right now, we know with us having so many expectations, the only people we can make happy are in this locker room, and that’s really it.”

Manu Ginobili has never and would never say anything like that. In fact, he'd never even think it. Not even for a second. Ditto for Tim Duncan and Bruce Bowen.

If they played like the Cowboys did Sunday, they’d be too busy beating themselves up to worry about what the Express-News or the Baseline Bums had to say about them.

And if Wade Phillips were more like Gregg Popovich, a four-time NBA champion, we’d never hear him say things like, “You should never apologize for winning.”

Sorry, Wade, but when you have as much talent as the Cowboys do and you let a team as bad as the Bengals nearly beat you at home, yes, you should apologize. To Jerry Jones. To the fans. To the media.

Popovich holds his team to a much higher standard. If he ever heard a player publicly feeling sorry for himself likes James did Monday, the first words out of his mouth would be, “Get over yourself.”

Next would come a string of expletives.

Fortunately for the Cowboys, they do have some players with a Spurs-like mentality. Unlike James, Pro Bowl linebacker DeMarcus Ware treated Sunday’s game almost like a loss and was plenty hard on himself.

“The thing is, a win is a win, which is good,” Ware said. “But you can’t be satisfied with the way that we won. There is a lot of stuff we need to work on, me being one of them.”

Perhaps it’s time Bowen talked to the Cowboys again like he did during training camp at the Alamodome two years ago. Judging by how they played the last two games, they could use some championship advice.

Now on to this week’s letters:

What’s your overall opinion of the team after Week 5?
— Rob McPeak, Richmond, Va.

I’m primarily concerned about two things: 1) Jason Garrett’s inability to find ways to get Terrell Owens open; and, 2) the defense’s inability to make game-changing plays. The Cowboys are 4-1, which is about what we all expected after five games. No problem there. But the two problems I described above may foretell the season. We all saw how the offense stalled late last season when Owens was hurt. He needs to be playing at a high level for the offense to click on all cylinders. Jones is paying Garrett a ton of money, so it’s high time the head-coach in waiting find a way to open things up for Owens, who has been troubled by double coverage and physical corners who jam him at the line. Same goes for the defense: With all the money Jones has invested on that side of the ball, we should be seeing a ton of what Bill Parcells used to call “catalytic plays.” Again, it’s up to the coaches to put them in position to succeed. Opposing quarterbacks are countering the edge speed of Ware and Greg Ellis by using three-step drops. With that said, Phillips should allow his corners to play a lot more press and man coverage. Perhaps all these problems will be solved soon. But if they’re not, you can expect another playoff flameout.

Why are we having so many problems with the special teams?
— Little C.

Phillips pointed out Monday that the Cowboys faltered on only three of 28 special-teams plays Sunday. Unfortunately for them, one was a 60-yard kickoff return that set up the drive that ended with Carson Palmer throwing a TD pass that trimmed the Cowboys’ lead to 24-22 with 7:39 left. Take away that one return, and the Bengals averaged 23.4 yards per return, which is about average in the NFL. In other words, the Cowboys really aren’t having “so many problems” on special teams.

Why do Greg Ellis and DeMarcus Ware drop back into coverage so much? Why don’t the Cowboys run more screen passes? Why is Tony Romo throwing the ball so short to his receivers?
— Steve Strassman, Heathrow, Fla.

You have to remember that Ellis and Ware’s responsibilities aren’t limited to just rushing the passer. And don’t forget, Ellis had an interception in coverage Sunday, and his pass defense against Kellen Winslow was a big reason the Cowboys pounded Cleveland in the opener. Regarding the lack of screen passes, you would think they would run more with Felix Jones, but the offensive line isn’t really made for it. They’re all massive guys who are built for pass protection and straight-ahead blocking. In other words, they’re just not nimble enough to pull and set up for the screen. Finally, Romo would be much more accurate if he had more time to set his feet. He’s not getting sacked, but he’s had way too much company in the backfield lately.

bostonguy
10-08-2008, 01:15 AM
I wish I were that confident. He's shit on pro bowl quarterbacks before, and he's shit on super bowl contenders before. He's hustled this year, and there's no denying his talent. He's here the same reason Charles Barkley went to Phoenix. Not to sell tickets, not to generate interest, not to make the playoffs. If the Cowboys don't win super bowls with him, he's a failure.

As Great as Tom Brady was during the Pats 3 titles in 4 years, it was the DEFENSE that was the biggest strength to that Pats team. As great as Owens is, it wont matter what the Cowboys do on O if their D cant become a physical playmaking one. The Patriots were a great playmaking defense and they were clutch as hell making short yardage stops and making overall game ending stops. They would pop you in the fucking face for having the courage to drive on them. I loved that shit. Making offenses feel serious pain for wanting to score points on our D.

The Boys D are going to have that if they even want to think about a superbowl. BTW Owens wont be the only failure...the whole team will be.

Whisky Dog
10-08-2008, 05:52 AM
The Cowboys defense is what has been most disappointing. The offense has put up nothing short of 24 pts in 5 games, and a good defense makes that stick every time. The one thing the offense does do is give away turnovers, which it needs to limit. That said, this bend but dont break style giving up points on almost every possession sucks.

DBryant88
10-08-2008, 07:52 AM
I to am worried, we need more out of Pacman especially, he hasn't had played to the full potential, and now is when we really need him.

to21
10-08-2008, 07:53 AM
The defense (LB's and DB's) and the fact we still don't have a "go to" second WIDE RECEIVER (not TE) bother me the most.

Injuries to the OL are a bit concerning as well. Oh and special teams as in KO and punt coverage are suspect.

Other than that...................

to21
10-08-2008, 07:54 AM
As Great as Tom Brady was during the Pats 3 titles in 4 years, it was the DEFENSE that was the biggest strength to that Pats team. As great as Owens is, it wont matter what the Cowboys do on O if their D cant become a physical playmaking one. The Patriots were a great playmaking defense and they were clutch as hell making short yardage stops and making overall game ending stops. They would pop you in the fucking face for having the courage to drive on them. I loved that shit. Making offenses feel serious pain for wanting to score points on our D.

The Boys D are going to have that if they even want to think about a superbowl. BTW Owens wont be the only failure...the whole team will be.I agree with some of this but where's this defense now? They are not playn' like they did in the past.

Chris
10-08-2008, 01:38 PM
Wait for Newman to get healthy before you start ripping our Defense..Dude hasn't started a single game this season.

IMO Pacman has done a great job against opponent's top tier receivers.
Ocho Stinko -shut down. Braylon Edwards -two catches for 14 yards, shut the fuck down. He's a reliable tackler in the open field as well. My only complaint is on punt returns he runs sideways instead of forwards. Austin should be returning punts anyways considering Jones is playing a full defensive series beforehand.

We are 4-1 in a tough division,and the way things are looking every team is a contender. Be happy with where we are at and appeciate the win, not how we could have done things better.

peewee's lovechild
10-09-2008, 02:50 PM
I to am worried, we need more out of Pacman especially, he hasn't had played to the full potential, and now is when we really need him.

Pacman has not lived up to potential and now he's in the news again.

Fuck, I'm getting sick of all this shit.

This is what we get when Jerry Jones coddles his players.

They're not going to discipline him??
Are you kidding me?

What the fuck?

What the hell was he doing out that late on a Tuesday night anyway, knowing full well that practice starts the next morning?

I'm fucking sick of all this shit!

Evan
10-09-2008, 02:52 PM
calm down and look at the record

geez people

peewee's lovechild
10-09-2008, 02:55 PM
calm down and look at the record

geez people

Regular season records don't mean shit.

Take last year's Patriots, for example.

The point is, our defense has played poorly. Newman is out with yet another injury and if Pacman continues with his bullshit, we'll be left with only Jenkins as a viable starter.

They're out of synch. The personalities are getting out of hand and they're proving to be a distraction. This bullshit HAS to stop.

Evan
10-09-2008, 03:04 PM
yeah well the post season mean sh*t in October either

settle down

BlackSwordsMan
10-09-2008, 03:06 PM
Dallas' secondary is garbage and they almost got caught by the bengals. :downspin:

BlackSwordsMan
10-09-2008, 03:07 PM
but I'm still gonna watch every sunday =]

Bigzax
10-09-2008, 03:22 PM
i expect your team to toast the cards...so relax, drink a beer, and wash that team gear for monday...

Dirk Nowitzki
10-09-2008, 03:37 PM
Wait for Newman to get healthy before you start ripping our Defense..Dude hasn't started a single game this season.

IMO Pacman has done a great job against opponent's top tier receivers.
Ocho Stinko -shut down. Braylon Edwards -two catches for 14 yards, shut the fuck down. He's a reliable tackler in the open field as well. My only complaint is on punt returns he runs sideways instead of forwards. Austin should be returning punts anyways considering Jones is playing a full defensive series beforehand.

We are 4-1 in a tough division,and the way things are looking every team is a contender. Be happy with where we are at and appeciate the win, not how we could have done things better.

Newman or no Newman, it wont matter with the defensive schemes they are running. Playing 10 yards off the receivers and not playing bump and run man coverage is not helping matters. Piss poor tackling is also making matters worse. Conservative D is going to kill this team especially as the season goes on. The D deserves to be ripped. The team didnt get their first int until October and it was by a linebacker. They also dont make teams earn points. Any offense that wants to score on the boys D should be feeling pain anytime they have success. Hit them in the fucking mouth but dont forget the fundamentals that come with playing smash mouth defense. It's all the same if the D gives up a big play or if they let an offense slowly drive down the field wearing them down and eating up big minutes.

The Giants/Colts/Patriots/Steelers didnt win the superbowl with conservative defensive play. They took lots of chances and they were fundamental yet very very physical. They also made clutch plays when they needed to. Of course it is early in the season but the Boys arent showing any signs of being a consistent lockdown play making type of D especially with this much talent and depth on it. The Boys MUST have that type of D if they even want to think about a superbowl.

4-1 is nice and cute but they were also 13-3 last year with the best record in the NFC and that didnt do much for them in the playoffs.

Obstructed_View
10-09-2008, 05:09 PM
The last thing I expected to be worried about coming into this season was the secondary, now I'm anxiously awaiting the return of Roy Williams. The offense had better be prepared to either drop 50 on the Cards or to hold the ball for 40 minutes.

jack sommerset
10-09-2008, 08:51 PM
The defense is not good. The penalities just are ridiculous. The drama makes me sick. Not being deep at WR concerns me. I don't see them winning a ring this year. They are my favorite team and I want them to win but I can't see it.