PDA

View Full Version : McDonald: Parker Is In The Game (And 3 Thoughts From Training Camp)

duncan228
10-07-2008, 05:23 PM
Jeff McDonald: Parker is in the game (http://blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblogs/courtside/archives/2008/10/jeff_mcdonald_p_17.html)

Tony Parker woke up Tuesday morning to what was, without hyperbole, the biggest day of his adult life.

Sure, being named the MVP of the 2007 NBA Finals was nice. That whole "marrying a Hollywood starlet" thing was a decent feather in his cap.

But, for an athlete of Parker's generation, nothing beats being on the cover of EA Sports NBA Live '09.

This year's edition of the popular video game -- with Parker's mug on the front of it -- arrived at a store near you Tuesday.

Appearing on the cover of said video game is a prestigious honor. After all, there are 52 covers of Sports Illustrated during a year. There is only one NBA Live.

"I thought it was a joke at first, when my agent told me I was going to be on the cover," said Parker, speaking after the Spurs' training camp workout Tuesday. "I thought it was just the cover in France."

Parker had appeared on the cover of the French version of the game for five consecutive seasons (because who else are they going to put there, Mickael Pietrus?). This is the first time Parker has appeared on the global cover of the game.

Still, not all of Parker's teammates were impressed.

Ime Udoka noted that the Parker who appears on the game's cover seems a bit more muscular than the guy he's seen wandering around the Spurs' locker room.

"It looks like they put my body with his face," Udoka joked.

Parker claims to be a big fan of the NBA Live series, and says he used to be an avid player. He doesn't game as much anymore, and for that, he blames a certain Desperate Housewife.

"I used to play a lot, but now I'm married," Parker said. "You know how that goes."

Three more thoughts from another day at training camp ...

1) Reactions were mixed among Spurs fans when the team opted to bring back veteran guard Michael Finley. Time will tell if the move was wise or not, but one thing is for certain: The guy owns one of the prettiest jump shots in the league.

There's nothing like watching Finley close a workout by firing up form-perfect jumper after jumper. The guy could -- and should -- produce an instructional video some day.

2) Chatter is beginning to pick up about first-round pick George Hill. Coaches have always been wowed by his defensive ability, and he is beginning to pick up the Spurs system fairly quickly. His jumper is still a work in progress, and he remains under the tutelage of shooting guru Chip Engelland. Tuesday's instructional shooting session did not even include a basket -- Hill simply stood in a corner with a ball, occasionally flipping it skyward as Engelland fine-tuned his form.

3) Keep an eye on Anthony Tolliver as the preseason unfolds. He's an interesting story -- an undrafted free-agent the Spurs locked up in July, after a stellar summer league performance, in order to keep him out of anyone else's training camp. Spurs coaches believe Tolliver -- a 23-year-old, 6-foot-9 forward -- has an NBA -caliber jumpshot. Since Gregg Popovich usually opts to keep two shooting big men, Tolliver stands a good chance of making the team.

koriwhat
10-07-2008, 05:24 PM
EA SUCKS.... but thanks for the article anyhow duncan228.

Manufan909
10-07-2008, 05:42 PM
Glad Hill and Tolliver are looking good.

duncan228
10-07-2008, 05:45 PM
EA SUCKS.... but thanks for the article anyhow duncan228.

:lol

I posted it for the training camp info, the game happened to be the intro.

Bruno
10-07-2008, 06:25 PM
Keep an eye on Anthony Tolliver as the preseason unfolds. He's an interesting story -- an undrafted free-agent the Spurs locked up in July, after a stellar summer league performance,

Tolliver averaged 12/4 during the SL. Calling his performance "stellar" is a huge reach.

Since Gregg Popovich usually opts to keep two shooting big men, Tolliver stands a good chance of making the team.

:rolleyes
As far as I remember, Spurs in the Pop era, have only had 2 shooting big men these past couple of years and it even wasn't because pop wanted it.
Spurs doesn't go after Bonner in 06. They got him as a trade filler.
Spurs have re-signed Bonner in 07 because Horry was close to retire.

I pretty much think the exact opposite of McDonald. I don't know if Tolliver will be kept or not, but the fact that his skills are very similar to Bonner's one, hurts his chances to make the team.

Spurs Brazil
10-07-2008, 07:53 PM
McDonald's articles are terrible.

I'd like to see more Chu's articles

Ice009
10-07-2008, 10:01 PM
What about Farmer? how's he going.

What a crappy article. This guy didn't tell us anything we didn't already know. Well except for the Hill bit we already knew most of that stuff days ago here on Spurstalk ;).

The guys I want to make the team are Farmer, Stoudamire and Tolliver.

Solid D
10-07-2008, 10:58 PM
Channel 11 Maximum Sports tonight showed video of the Spurs' practice today, with the guys running "suicides". George Hill was blowing everyone else away. Of course, he was running them with Hairston, Farmer, Gaines, and Tolliver but he was hustling.

A good, consistent jumper makes G-Hill golden.

SequSpur
10-07-2008, 11:33 PM
Channel 11 Maximum Sports tonight showed video of the Spurs' practice today, with the guys running "suicides". George Hill was blowing everyone else away. Of course, he was running them with Hairston, Farmer, Gaines, and Tolliver but he was hustling.

A good, consistent jumper makes G-Hill golden.

Suicides?

Dude, tpark can run suicides...

is that all you got?

ducks
10-07-2008, 11:40 PM
Suicides?

is that all you got?

you suck on suicides because your legs are to short

SequSpur
10-07-2008, 11:42 PM
you suck on suicides because your legs are to short

whatever... you couldn't do suicides unless your fat nurse pushes your retarded ass in a wheelchair from line to line you short bus riding dipshit..

Solid D
10-07-2008, 11:52 PM
:lol @ Sequ and ducks running "Suicide Smak".

ducks
10-08-2008, 12:01 AM
whatever... you couldn't do suicides unless your fat nurse pushes your retarded ass in a wheelchair from line to line you short bus riding dipshit..

my nurse is cuter then your one night stand

T Park
10-08-2008, 01:29 AM
Suicides?

is that all you got?

I can walk suicides, running them? Not there quite yet.

A brisk jog maybe.

mrspurs
10-08-2008, 06:39 AM
Tolliver averaged 12/4 during the SL. Calling his performance "stellar" is a huge reach.

:rolleyes
As far as I remember, Spurs in the Pop era, have only had 2 shooting big men these past couple of years and it even wasn't because pop wanted it.
Spurs doesn't go after Bonner in 06. They got him as a trade filler.
Spurs have re-signed Bonner in 07 because Horry was close to retire.

I pretty much think the exact opposite of McDonald. I don't know if Tolliver will be kept or not, but the fact that his skills are very similar to Bonner's one, hurts his chances to make the team.

Don't believe what you read all the time the only thing bonner and tolliver have in common is they are both bigs who can hit the 3. bonner is a poor defender because he's slow. tolliver is quick and has a great post up game, something bonner doesnt have at all. tolliver can back you down then quickly go right or left and leave you behind, and because of the way he is built much like NO's west theres nothing you can do except watch his butt head for the basket. He can back you down then fake he's going left and right and when you bite, stop and pop. bonner will never be able todo that.