PDA

View Full Version : Tim Duncan truly deserves it.

AC#21_TD ERA
10-07-2008, 09:24 PM
Ever since Tim Duncan entered the league he has been anchoring the paint. He does it all on the defensive end, blocking shots, altering shots, effecting shots. He simply just protects the basket.

The Spurs are always up there in the top 3 defensive teams thanks to mainly Duncan. It’s a joke and a disgrace that Tim Duncan has never won the defensive player of the year award. Last season Garnett won the award because Boston had the best defense in the league and greatest turn around in NBA history but Duncan accomplished those very things and he still didn’t win it.

Duncan hasn’t had any help in the paint since Robinson retired and the Spurs have still managed to be a great defensive side. You put a guy like Nowitzki in TD’s place on the defensive end the Spurs will be the worst defensive side you’ll ever see. I’m not taking anything away from what the other Spurs players do on the defensive end because they do a great job but we all Duncan holds it all together.

Steve Nash has a better chance at winning the award than Duncan with the way the league acknowledges Duncan's job on defensive end.

Tim Duncan anchors the paint and it’s about time he won the Defensive Player of the Year Award.

jaffies
10-07-2008, 09:35 PM
Bruce.

AC#21_TD ERA
10-07-2008, 10:05 PM
Bruce has played 30 minutes a game at over 35 for 2 seasons. He hold's most premier players to a lower field goal percentage and even out scorered a pre-gasol Kobe Bryant last season.

Tim is a great defensive force, but Bruce is better if you ask me.

Edit: Also Bruce is the only player I have ever seen that can guard Steve Nash, and Zach Randolph effectivly.

Im not going to get into a debate of who's the better defender. I just think that Duncan deserves it and i also agree that Bruce is deserving of the award aswell. It's a shame that the Spurs have been a power house defensive side over the last decade or so and TD hasnt still won it or you can even agrue that Bruce hasn't even won the award.

Mister Sinister
10-07-2008, 10:58 PM
Im not going to get into a debate of who's the better defender. I just think that Duncan deserves it and i also agree that Bruce is deserving of the award aswell. It's a shame that the Spurs have been a power house defensive side over the last decade or so and TD hasnt still won it or you can even agrue that Bruce hasn't even won the award.
Remember, the Spurs are boring. And evil. And responsible for the Black Plague, the Titanic, *and* Gigli.

BlackSwordsMan
10-07-2008, 11:00 PM
Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr rruce

T Park
10-07-2008, 11:01 PM
Bruce Bowen deserves it more.

exstatic
10-07-2008, 11:27 PM
They both should have won the award by now.

GSH
10-07-2008, 11:44 PM
Taking nothing away from Bruce Bowen's ability to lock down on defense, it helps when you have Tim Duncan anchoring the middle. Every player that Bowen has pestered on the outside knows that getting past him doesn't automatically mean a free trip to the rim. With Tim in the game, life doesn't get better as you approach the paint. (The guy has averaged 2.7 blocks per game for a career.) I'm sure a lot of them would rather take their chances with Bruce.

He's big enough to defend centers, and quick enough to defend forwards. And for the years since David retired, the term "help defense" has largely consisted of "funnel them to Timmy". It's great to have a defender like Bruce on the team, but you need a big guy to anchor a defense.

The Cowboys had Moose Johnston, who was an exceptional blocker - for a fullback. But ask any quarterback if they would rather have him, or big damn Larry Allen blocking for them. It's not even close. Johnston's blocking was a huge plus, but Larry Allen anchored the line.

Duncan could have won the DPOY any of a number of years. Maybe he was at a disadvantage since he had to play on both ends of the court, unlike Ben Wallace, but Tim was just as deserving. But now that Pop has curtailed his minutes to keep him healthy, it's not likely that he will see any more individual hardware.

mrspurs
10-08-2008, 06:51 AM
Ill end this debate. Ask timmy whos sets the tone defensively and he will tell you its bruce. Everyone in the Spurs FO knows who the best defender in a spurs uniform is. Its been like that for many years. Not knocking on timmy cos you cant. But Tim cant guard to bigs at one time and thats what happened most of the season and mostly in the PO's. Bruce can defend one on one. But with the lack of Team D when Bruce did get beat by a faster player or because of a pick. They went towards Fabs way while timmy was trying to man the other side. If and when timmy finally came to help fab or kurt the opponent passed the ball and they either got a easy layup or alley-oop. The FO seems to think having 2 outside defenders will help and I agree, but I still wouldnt leave Timmy alone under the basket. Ian or tolliver hopefully can make that difference. Not fab or kurt will.

J.T.
10-08-2008, 07:34 AM
Fuck Tim Duncan, let's take this thread in a different direction.

Who plays better D, Tony or Manu?

HarlemHeat37
10-08-2008, 01:13 PM
Bruce deserves it more? wow, are you sure you guys watch the Spurs?..

Duncan is THE ANCHOR of our defense..a perimeter defender is NEVER more important than a great anchor like Duncan..a prime Bowen was the best perimeter defender in the NBA, but he still got beat a lot..Duncan was always there on the help..Tim's defensive metric stats are unreal..he controls much more of the floor than Bowen does..Bruce can only control 1 guy, while Duncan controls an entire area of the floor..

most knowledgeable fans agree that Duncan should have at least 2 DPOY's by now..

Trainwreck2100
10-08-2008, 01:34 PM
Fuck Tim Duncan, let's take this thread in a different direction.

Who plays better D, Tony or Manu?

manu

AC#21_TD ERA
10-09-2008, 04:50 AM
With or withwout Bruce Bowen, Tim Duncan would still be a defensive force and is capable of winning the defensive player of the year award. Remeber TD didn't have Bruce on his team early on in his career and he still anchored the paint.

The 2008/09 Defensive player of the year goes to Tim Duncan im calling it now. Hopefully the league stop's taking Tim Duncan's defense for granted.

Biggems
10-09-2008, 12:15 PM
Remember, the Spurs are boring. And evil. And responsible for the Black Plague, the Titanic, *and* Gigli.

there is no evidence whatsoever that links the Spurs to Gigli.......this is more political rhetoric from the far left......:lol

Actually, The Black Plague, would have been a great name for the Spurs defense over the last decade.