PDA

View Full Version : Palin speaks with group of reporters

ducks
10-07-2008, 10:25 PM
GREENVILLE, N.C. - After weeks of limited contact with the news media, Republican vice presidential hopeful Sarah Palin ventured to the back of her campaign plane Tuesday and answered several questions from reporters.
ADVERTISEMENT

The Alaska governor discussed why she and the McCain campaign have made an issue of Democrat Barack Obama's relationship with 1960s-era radical Bill Ayers amid a market meltdown that has many voters fearing for their investments. Palin repeatedly has claimed during the past two days that Obama had launched his political career with help from Ayers, a founder of the violent Weather Underground group responsible for bombings during the Vietnam War era.

Obama campaign aides said the Illinois senator did not know of Ayers' past when they first met in Chicago. Palin told reporters the lack of clarity about their relationship was precisely why it was relevant to raise it on the campaign trail.

"It's relevant to connect that association he has with Ayers, not so much he as a person Ayers, but the whole situation and the truthfulness and the judgment there that you must question if again he's not being forthright in all of his answers, "Palin said. "It makes you wonder about the forthrightness, the truthfulness of the plans he's telling Americans with regards to the economic recovery."

Pressed on whether she was saying Obama was dishonest, Palin said no.

"But in terms of judgment, in terms of being able to answer a question forthrightly, it has two different parts to it, that judgment and that truthfulness," she said.

Palin said also claimed her husband, Todd, is "an open book" on the controversy back home involving allegations that the couple pressured state officials to fire the governor's former brother-in-law, a state trooper.

"Nobody has anything to hide," she said.

Both Palin and her husband had refused to be interviewed in the state Legislature's probe, and Palin said the inquiry "has been kind of a goat rope, very partisan and very controversial type of investigation."

Palin reiterated her disappointment that John McCain's campaign had pulled out of Michigan, saying she had hoped to share the GOP ticket's economic message with blue-collar voters there. And she said she'd love to appear on "Saturday Night Live" with Tina Fey, who's made famous a hilarious caricature of Palin.

"I love her, she's a hoot and she's so talented. It would be fun to meet her, imitate her, and keep on giving her new material," Palin said of Fey.

Reflecting on the campaign in which she was transformed from relative obscurity into a visible national figure, Palin said she'd been "energized" by the experience and had high hopes for victory in the Nov. 4 election.

"We're at the halfway point and there is a lot that can happen and will happen in this campaign still to go," Palin said. "I've been in an underdog position quite often in my life and so has John McCain and we've both come out victoriously from that underdog position."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081008/ap_on_el_pr/palin_media;_ylt=Ap4iqeDDQdCcZmB_kcYfEnph24cA

ploto
10-07-2008, 10:34 PM
Anyone else think she is starting to campaign more for her own future aspirations and not her and McCain.

Buddy Holly
10-07-2008, 10:38 PM
Her own aspirations? Of what? She'll never win anything big in the lower 48.

She's the flavor of the month because she came out of nowhere, is a good looking woman and that's about it.

She's the political equivalent to any person who goes on Dancing With the Stars.

Shastafarian
10-07-2008, 10:38 PM
Anyone else find it disturbing she went after Biden on the same day he buried his mother-in-law?

ducks
10-07-2008, 10:40 PM
Anyone else find it disturbing she went after Biden on the same day he buried his mother-in-law?

no since they are 28 days before the election

ducks
10-07-2008, 10:40 PM
she will be a good public speaking in 4 years

Shastafarian
10-07-2008, 10:41 PM
no since they are 28 days before the election

She can't take a day off of attacking the VP candidate while he buries his mother-in-law? I see you're objective.

ducks
10-07-2008, 10:42 PM
most people hate their mother-in-law

Buddy Holly
10-07-2008, 10:42 PM
she will be a good public speaking in 4 years

:lol:lol:lol

Buddy Holly
10-07-2008, 10:43 PM

Most people hate you.

Ergo... you are a mother-in-law?

CuckingFunt
10-07-2008, 10:44 PM
Most people hate you.

Ergo... you are a mother-in-law?

That would actually make ducks most people's mother-in-law.

Shastafarian
10-07-2008, 10:44 PM

I see you haven't lost your touch ducks.

ducks
10-07-2008, 10:46 PM
I bet you put a poll up here
over 70% here hate their mother-in-law

Buddy Holly
10-07-2008, 10:47 PM

And over 70% hate this movie.

http://paisley.presys.com/graphics/monsterinlaw.jpg

Who fucking cares?

George Gervin's Afro
10-07-2008, 10:50 PM
She can't take a day off of attacking the VP candidate while he buries his mother-in-law? I see you're objective.

He's not objective. He is a compassionate conservative.

SnakeBoy
10-07-2008, 11:11 PM
Anyone else think she is starting to campaign more for her own future aspirations and not her and McCain.

She started that at the vp debate, as I've said.

Her own aspirations? Of what? She'll never win anything big in the lower 48.

What world are you living in? Palin dominates the entire election coverage. Even overshadowing Obama's huge "celebrity" status. We just had a presidential debate and the talking heads still can't keep themselves from mentioning Sarah Palin. Has there ever been a vp candidate with so much draw power? You'll be hearing about Sarah Palin long after election day.

ElNono
10-07-2008, 11:18 PM
Sarah is going to need to hit the gym as much as the communication courses. She ain't getting any younger and there's so much botox can do for you. The other drawback is that shes not going to have the 'Im new' factor going for her then. That said, Im pretty sure she'll be the next Rep prez candidate. I would pay to watch a race between her and Hillary.

SnakeBoy
10-07-2008, 11:20 PM
I would pay to watch a race between her and Hillary.

That would've been one fun catfight to watch. Probably no chance of ever seeing it after tonight though.

baseline bum
10-07-2008, 11:21 PM
Hillary / Palin would be a nightmare. It would make me long for the days of Bush / Gore.

Buddy Holly
10-07-2008, 11:24 PM
What world are you living in? Palin dominates the entire election coverage. Even overshadowing Obama's huge "celebrity" status. We just had a presidential debate and the talking heads still can't keep themselves from mentioning Sarah Palin. Has there ever been a vp candidate with so much draw power? You'll be hearing about Sarah Palin long after election day.

I really like how you edited my post and let out how I said SHE'S THE FLAVOR OF THE MONTH.

She's not dominating (though that is subsiding) the election coverage because she's such a great politician that EVERYONE likes.

She's the flavor of the month because a month ago she became a household name the day she was announced as the running mate of John McCain. That has never happened before in American politics, that someone of such little relavence, little stature was selected to become the first female VP selection on the repub ticket, not to mention she's good looking and somewhat charismatic in a "gosh darn it" kind of way.

We live in a world were people who make youtube videos get 15 minutes of fame, where people on reality shows are relevant for a few minutes until that show ends and they're off it.

When the repubs lose the election in November, a month after, she will be on NO ONE's mind.

RandomGuy
10-08-2008, 09:33 AM

I like my mother in law.

She has her flaws, but is a nice gal.

RandomGuy
10-08-2008, 09:34 AM
Hillary / Palin would be a nightmare. It would make me long for the days of Bush / Gore.

At leaste they could attack each other mercilessly without being seriously accused of being sexist.

Wild Cobra
10-08-2008, 12:32 PM

Very possible, and I at this point hope she becomes our president in 2013. It definately helps to put McCain in the White House. She is then second chiar.

SaraCuda '12

Wild Cobra
10-08-2008, 12:38 PM
Sarah is going to need to hit the gym as much as the communication courses. She ain't getting any younger and there's so much botox can do for you. The other drawback is that shes not going to have the 'Im new' factor going for her then. That said, Im pretty sure she'll be the next Rep prez candidate. I would pay to watch a race between her and Hillary.
Wow, being a bit sexist, aren't we?

I have seen many women who age well, and she appears she will be one of them. She definately has more Charisma than Biden or McCain.

Who whould she be against in 2012, 0r 2016? Charisma is a key factor, and goes beyond appearance. How many people have that quality more than she does?

Obstructed_View
10-08-2008, 12:38 PM

Unless you are suggesting that tax increases on small business killed his mother in law, then I'm not sure what's so disturbing about it.

ElNono
10-08-2008, 01:00 PM
Wow, being a bit sexist, aren't we?
Why is that? If she would be ugly as shit, nobody would care/tune to see what she has to say. This is what political races have turned into these days, and I'm honest enough to acknowledge it.

I have seen many women who age well, and she appears she will be one of them. She definately has more Charisma than Biden or McCain.

That's *ALL* she got going for her right now, along with the looks and the christian background to appeal to those voters. She just needs to gain experience in the next 4 years. I think thats her major drawback right now. Maybe seek a congress position in the meantime?

Who would she be against in 2012, 0r 2016? Charisma is a key factor, and goes beyond appearance. How many people have that quality more than she does?

2012 will be Obama if he wins next month, unless his presidency happens to result in a absolute mess. Remember Obama has the economic crisis cop-out right now, so he's got somebody to point fingers at. That said, I thought I would love to see a Hillary vs Palin fight, because you would basically be taking away the sexism part, and they could really go at it. And Hillary being the bitch that she is, and with the experience that she has, would probably send Sarah packing at the first 'Gosh golly'.

JoeChalupa
10-08-2008, 01:14 PM
Sarah is now THE Obama of the republican party. She is their new star. Look for her to make a run in 2012. You betcha!!

Wild Cobra
10-08-2008, 02:10 PM
She just needs to gain experience in the next 4 years. I think thats her major drawback right now. Maybe seek a congress position in the meantime?

Win or lose, as govorner or VP, that will give her more executive experience. Being in congress is not ececutive experience, nor should it be considered a stepping stone to the presidency.

Why do you liberals thing being a Washinton Insider is presidetial experience? I want to see solid executive experience. Am I wrong to say most of our best presidents came from either military command experience, or as a govorner?

10-08-2008, 02:14 PM
No candidate ever has presidential experience.

gameFACE
10-08-2008, 02:17 PM
She's better than Dan Quayle and Dick Cheney. I'll give her that.

ElNono
10-08-2008, 02:28 PM
Win or lose, as govorner or VP, that will give her more executive experience. Being in congress is not ececutive experience, nor should it be considered a stepping stone to the presidency.

I don't think it's a stepping stone, but I do think she's at a disadvantage being the governor of a state like Alaska. There's just way too much geopolitical relations with the wars and the economy in general, and you can see she just hasn't been exposed to that.

Why do you liberals thing being a Washinton Insider is presidetial experience? I want to see solid executive experience. Am I wrong to say most of our best presidents came from either military command experience, or as a govorner?

I personally don't think you need to be a Washington insider. But I do think you need to be able to understand the world we're living in. I think current Bush (as opposed to his father) is and has been over his head on that particular department. And honestly that's what I get from Pallin. Perhaps she's informed, but cannot communicate it properly. Whatever it is, I don't get the feeling she knows what she's talking about. I attribute it to being a governor on a state that's fairly detached from the rest of the country. Now, it's entirely possible my guess is wrong. However, like I said, whatever it is, she's not coming through. For example, I see McCain as a guy that DOES understand pretty well, even though I don't agree with some of his proposed policies.
At any rate, that's nothing she can't learn over some period of time, so I'm sure she'll catch up and come back strong.

Anti.Hero
10-08-2008, 02:28 PM
If I were her, I would just go back to Alaska and enjoy the good life. The lower 48 can GFT.

Wild Cobra
10-08-2008, 02:36 PM
I personally don't think you need to be a Washington insider. But I do think you need to be able to understand the world we're living in. I think current Bush (as opposed to his father) is and has been over his head on that particular department. And honestly that's what I get from Pallin. Perhaps she's informed, but cannot communicate it properly. Whatever it is, I don't get the feeling she knows what she's talking about. I attribute it to being a governor on a state that's fairly detached from the rest of the country. Now, it's entirely possible my guess is wrong. However, like I said, whatever it is, she's not coming through. For example, I see McCain as a guy that DOES understand pretty well, even though I don't agree with some of his proposed policies.

I completely understand this as a concern. However, what makes someone with executive experience is that it is a skill set that requires you to know how to delegate and appoint people who are good at the things you lack. People with poor executive experience like to micro-manage things, not able to trust others, and often make bad decisions. She has proven herself to make good decisions in Alaska, and you can be sure she didn't do it alone. She surrounded herself with people who's opinion she trusted.

ElNono
10-08-2008, 02:47 PM
I completely understand this as a concern. However, what makes someone with executive experience is that it is a skill set that requires you to know how to delegate and appoint people who are good at the things you lack. People with poor executive experience like to micro-manage things, not able to trust others, and often make bad decisions. She has proven herself to make good decisions in Alaska, and you can be sure she didn't do it alone. She surrounded herself with people who's opinion she trusted.

Completely agree. And I believe that has been one of the weak points of Bush Jr. That said, there are though decisions to be made in the times we live in. And the final word on those decisions is with the President. That's why, IMO, we need a President that's very well informed on his own. I don't think Sarah is anywhere near there yet. If she wants to seriously pursue a Presidential nomination, she's going to have to catch up with that.
One more point related to this: Look how the economy is hurting McCain right now. This is a guy that admitted not knowing much about economy. That will make you say stuff like 'the economy is strong' right before the debacle we're going through right now.

Wild Cobra
10-08-2008, 03:02 PM
One more point related to this: Look how the economy is hurting McCain right now. This is a guy that admitted not knowing much about economy. That will make you say stuff like 'the economy is strong' right before the debacle we're going through right now.
Yep, I don't think McCain got any good advice on this one, or made the bad decision on his own. I'm referig to the bailout. What I consider the fundimantals however, haven't weakened until the bailout. Sure, there are aspects in the markets that were suffering, but when you look at people employed, and still having an econimic gowth. They were still there. Now I fear the economy will fail us. We rewarded irresponsibility and now we can expect more of it.

If you recall, I don't care much for McCain's policies, but I do respect him as a man. I do agree he is weak on the economy, along with border security. These are both important to me, and why I wouldn't vote for him until he picked Palin for VP. I'm voting for her.