PDA

View Full Version : Grading the Second Presidential Debate

ducks
10-07-2008, 11:47 PM
Barack Obama

Overall: Played it typically cautious and safe, and thus avoided major blunders, knowing if he commits no errors for the next thirty days, he will be the next President of the United States. The Illinois Senator used a coolly determined offense to keep McCain from building up a full head of steam when on the attack. Comfortably indicated a thorough grasp of his policies and agenda. It was not a dominating performance, but good enough. Two debates down and one to go for the prohibitive favorite.

Overall grade: B+

John McCain

Overall: As promised, he was comfortable in a town hall environment, directing his attention to the individual questioner and the crowd. The Republican nominee was by turns aggressive, sensitive, conservative and conversational. Successfully presented a negative case against Obama with an upbeat, optimistic smile - but was unable to paint a truly damning portrait of an Obama presidency, especially on the economy. He exhibited a few physical and verbal tics that made him look his age, including a heavy reliance on his "my friends" crutch, and seemed nervously well aware of the high stakes. Without a solid win, he did not make up as much ground as he needed to, but lives to fight on.

Overall grade: B

http://news.yahoo.com/s/time/20081008/us_time/gradingthesecondpresidentialdebate

SnakeBoy
10-08-2008, 02:02 AM
I would give both candidates a C+. Neither did a good job of really talking to the american people honestly about what lies ahead for this country in the next few years. This translates to a win for Obama since he's playing with the lead.

I give the overall debate an F. Too many stupid questions with all that is going on.

boutons_
10-08-2008, 03:40 AM
An observation about post-debate impact on the audience, esp about "that one", McLame's Ice Queen wife:

"The debate itself had just wrapped and the principals began to mill about on the floor, shaking hands, thanking moderator Tom Brokaw, congratulating each other and their loved ones.

I watched as the two contenders and their wives started making the rounds of the nonaligned voters who made up the audience, and more handshaking ensued.

Except for Cindy McCain. She trailed around just a couple of steps behind her husband, hands firmly clasped behind her. Perhaps she didn't intend to convey this, but it still evoked an aura of a sheltered aristocrat who doesn't want to touch or be touched by the hoi polloi.

Then, the McCains vanished altogether, while Barack and Michelle Obama hung around to shake every last hand. It struck me then and there that Obama had won over the whole room of undecideds, simply by doing that."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/mary-lyon/the-subliminal-slam-dunk_b_132857.html?view=print

===========

McLoser needed a BIG W, he turned in another BIG L.

HUSSEIN/Biden : 3

McLoser/pitbull bitch: 0

Supergirl
10-08-2008, 07:08 AM
I'd agree with your evaluation, but give the overall debate a big fat F because they basically were asked the same questions and gave the same answers.

I tuned out and watched Election instead. Best political movie ever!

boutons_
10-08-2008, 07:45 AM
Who Won The Debate? Clean Sweep For Obama

"NBC's focus group of undecided Pennsylvania voters had the Illinois Democrat winning by roughly a 60-40 split.

Frank Luntz's focus group, over at Fox, showed undecided voters leaning towards Obama because of his position on health care.

CBS's focus group of independents had the Democratic nominee winning the debate at 39 percent to McCain's 27 percent, with 35 percent of the respondents saying it was a tie.

Greenberg Quinlan Rosner, a Democratic polling firm, had a focus group of undecideds leaning to Obama by a margin of 42 percent to 24 percent.

Meanwhile, SurveyUSA interviewed 741 debate watchers in the state of Washington, 54 percent of whom thought Obama was the "clear winner" compared with McCain's 29 percent.

That same polling firm had the first debate as a tie. In tonight's survey: 42 percent of respondents said McCain was too forceful.

And the CNN focus group of undecided voters in Ohio had the margin at an even wider spread: Obama 54 percent to McCain's 30."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/10/07/who-won-the-debate-insta_n_132827.html?view=print

=============

HUSSEIN/Biden: 3

McLoser/pitbull bitch: 0

10-08-2008, 08:29 AM
I too would call it a tie which is a victory for Obama.
McCain should thank God he has Sarah holding his jock strap.