PDA

View Full Version : McDonald: Mason Looks To Build On Career, Fill Crucial Spot For Spurs

duncan228
10-08-2008, 12:22 AM
Mason looks to build on career, fill crucial spot for Spurs (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Mason_looks_to_build_on_career_fill_crucial_spot_f or_Spurs.html)
Jeff McDonald - Express-News

The obsession began when Roger Mason Jr. was just a boy, venturing into places he knew he wasn't supposed to go.

He grew up in an area outside Washington D.C. that was perpetually under construction, and despite the persistent pleas of a worried mother, would often help himself to unguided tours of houses in various stages of development.

“We weren't supposed to be in there, but we'd go in anyway,” Mason, the new Spurs guard, recounted after a recent day of training camp. “I was always fascinated by that — seeing the progress, seeing how things are built.”

His boyhood fixation with hard-hat areas eventually blossomed into a love of architecture. He majored in the subject at the University of Virginia, and now owns his own construction company.

To this day, Mason would rather discuss the exploits of I.M. Pei than those of World B. Free.

“I light up when I talk about architecture,” Mason said.

Architecturally speaking, Mason's new hometown probably doesn't compare with some of his favorite NBA cities — Chicago, Washington D.C., and the late, great Seattle.

Mason, however, is here for a different kind of construction project. He is here to add an additional level onto an NBA career that, not too long ago, was little more than a concrete slab.

After a breakout season in Washington last year, Mason landed a two-year contract worth about $7.2 million to join the Spurs this summer, at once becoming the team's keynote offseason acquisition.

It is here, in San Antonio, that Mason the architect hopes to finally erect his NBA career.

“I'm at a point in my career where I'm definitely growing up,” said Mason, a 6-foot-5 guard who can play both backcourt positions. “Last year gave me a little taste, but I'm still hungry.”

With the news that leading scorer Manu Ginobili could miss the first month and a half of the season after ankle surgery, Mason has emerged as a central character in the Spurs' early plans.

“He's got to play a big role for us this year,” coach Gregg Popovich said. “Without Manu, he's going to be important to us.”

It has taken Mason, a late bloomer at age 28, four NBA seasons to become indispensable.

Since leaving college in 2003, Mason has made professional stops in Chicago, Toronto and Washington, and has played overseas in Israel and Greece. Until last year, he had never played in more than 62 NBA games in a season.

His big break came last season when a pair of Wizards guards — first Gilbert Arenas, and then Antonio Daniels — went down with injury.

For the first time in his career, Mason was thrust into a primetime role. He acquitted himself well, averaging 9.1 points in 21.4 minutes and making 130 of his 327 3-point attempts.

Quickly, he became a fan favorite, the hometown kid made good. It wasn't long, however, before Mason began to turn heads outside of the Beltway.

Two of those heads belonged to Popovich and R.C. Buford, the Spurs' general manager.

“He's been a guy our coaches have had on their radar for a long time,” Buford said.

Yet Mason wasn't the Spurs' first choice during the summer free-agent shopping season — Corey Maggette was. When Maggette chose to head to Golden State for more money, the Spurs turned to a contingency plan they knew well.

Mason had worked out for the Spurs in each of the previous two summers, and, in August 2007, left town with a contract offer for $3 million over three years.

In a bit of a gamble, Mason turned that down, returning to Washington for another season with the hope of earning something more substantial.

The dice roll paid off. Mason more than doubled his money this summer.

“He was someone we always thought we needed in the program,” Popovich said. “After Corey made his decision to go to Golden State, Roger was the top guy on our list.”

So far in training camp, the Spurs say they are getting their money's worth from their consolation prize.

Popovich envisions Mason filling the role Brent Barry played for the Spurs the past four seasons. He is an accurate 3-point shooter to bring off the bench, and versatile enough to fill in at point guard if need be.

Initially, the Spurs had hoped to bring Mason along slowly but surely, allowing him time to adapt to his new team and new surroundings. Ginobili's injury at the Olympics, less than a month after Mason signed, has accelerated the process.

“He's going to have to step up his game,” point guard Tony Parker said. “He can shoot the ball well, and he can create his own shot. He's going to have to.”

On the cusp of a career ready for takeoff, Mason is happy to fill any role the Spurs ask of him, no matter how large or small.

In the meantime, he will also look for means to satisfy his architecture jones. Mason's favorite afternoon activity on the road is to wander around whatever city he happens to be in.

Chicago — one-time home to his hero, Frank Lloyd Wright — remains his favorite American walking-tour city.

“But I've lived in Athens,” Mason said, referring to one of the stops in his patchwork professional career. “It doesn't get any better than that, you know what I mean?”

Mason the architect would love to live in Greece again someday.

For Mason the basketball player, it doesn't get any better than this: He is in San Antonio, at last poised to build something great.

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x282/duncan228/temp/mason.jpg
Roger Mason Jr.

• Size: 6-foot-5, 212 pounds

• Position: Guard

• College: Virginia

• NBA seasons: 4
2002-03 — Bulls
2003-04 — Bulls (3 games), Raptors (23)
2006-07 — Wizards
2007-08 — Wizards

• Career highlights: Averaged 5.5 points, 1.2 rebounds and 1.1 assists in 185 career games, 12 of which have come as a starter. ... Career-highs in all three categories last season with the Wizards: 9.1 ppg, 1.6 rpg, 1.7 apg in 80 appearances, including nine starts. ... A career 37.4-percent 3-point shooter; he's hit 87.4 percent from the free-throw line. ... Averaged 17.9 points and 2.9 3-pointers made when he played more than 30 minutes last season. That happened 15 times.

SequSpur
10-08-2008, 12:25 AM
this guy better be able to play because the spurs sucked this offseason.

baseline bum
10-08-2008, 01:01 AM
http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=106639

duncan228
10-08-2008, 01:03 AM
:lol They were posted at the exact same time.

SenorSpur
10-08-2008, 07:46 PM
Mason looks to build on career, fill crucial spot for Spurs (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Mason_looks_to_build_on_career_fill_crucial_spot_f or_Spurs.html)
Jeff McDonald - Express-News

His boyhood fixation with hard-hat areas eventually blossomed into a love of architecture. He majored in the subject at the University of Virginia, and now owns his own construction company.

To this day, Mason would rather discuss the exploits of I.M. Pei than those of World B. Free.

“I light up when I talk about architecture,” Mason said.

I know he's into architecture. I just hope he's not heavy into shooting bricks. :lol

MrChug
10-08-2008, 09:29 PM
SHIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He's wearing the number of the name not spoken!!!!

:wtf:madrun:cry:cuss:vomit::smchode::spless:

ducks
10-08-2008, 11:19 PM
Tony Parker said. “He can shoot the ball well, and he can create his own shot. He's going to have to.”

vy65
10-09-2008, 01:14 AM

His big break came last season when a pair of Wizards guards — first Gilbert Arenas, and then Antonio Daniels — went down with injury.

For the first time in his career, Mason was thrust into a primetime role. He acquitted himself well, averaging 9.1 points in 21.4 minutes and making 130 of his 327 3-point attempts.

I know this is nit-picky, and not at all the point of the article, but would is proper use of the word "acquit" too much to ask for? While it's good to know RMJ will let RMJ off the hook, I think Jeff McD was looking for the word acclimate

K-State Spur
10-09-2008, 02:05 AM
I know this is nit-picky, and not at all the point of the article, but would is proper use of the word "acquit" too much to ask for? While it's good to know RMJ will let RMJ off the hook, I think Jeff McD was looking for the word acclimate

No, that's a correct usage of acquit - just not its most common definition.

From Webster's:

4. to bear or conduct (oneself); behave: He acquitted himself well in battle.

Manufan909
10-09-2008, 02:35 AM
I've said it in another Mason thread, but Tim will truly elevate his game, like he does with all his teammates. He IS the best big man at passing out of the double team today, period.

If you don't believe me, ask duncan228.
:downspin: