PDA

View Full Version : Spurs hire Antonio Maceiras as European consultant

Bruno
10-08-2008, 05:27 AM
Antonio Maceiras was the GM of a team in Spain called Akasvayu Girona. The team has gone bankrupt this summer because its sponsor had financial troubles. Spurs had signed Marceiras one week ago.

An interview of him (in Spanish) :
http://www.elmundodeportivo.es/web/gen/20081008/noticia_53555643151.html

He said they have hired him to have someone with a good knowledge of European market and player's contract. He will help Spurs to negotiate with Euro players/teams/agents.

It's obvious that this hiring is a reaction after all the troubles Spurs have had with Splitter, Javtokas and Scola. He should help them when Spurs will try to sign an "Euro" player whether it is a player who they have the NBA rights (Splitter, Gist, Javtokas, Sanikidze) or an "Euro" who they could drafted in the future (Spurs have 3 second round picks in next year draft) or an Euro FA.

Spurs have also invited two Spanish coaches (Pedro Martínez and Diego Ocampo) for the training camp.
http://www.marca.com/edicion/marca/baloncesto/nba/es/desarrollo/1171795.html

timvp
10-08-2008, 05:37 AM
Nice find and thanks for the news. At least the Spurs are now apparently trying to fix their weakness in regards to bringing over the players they want from Europe. The way they handled Scola turned out to be an error and losing out on Splitter really hurt the team's chances for this upcoming season. Props for trying to improve.

Although this probably should have been done a half decade ago . . .

mrspurs
10-08-2008, 06:42 AM
Wouldnt make much of it. He hired a coach from college last season who got fired. Exactly what he did was take up more seats.

exstatic
10-08-2008, 07:28 AM
There was really nothing to be done about Splitter (first round pay scale) or Scola (lifetime contract of servitude) other than to not draft them. Their talent level was higher than Americans left at that point, so it was worth a roll of the dice.

Russ
10-08-2008, 07:51 AM
Antonio Maceiras was the GM of a team in Spain called Akasvayu Girona. The team has gone bankrupt this summer because its sponsor had financial troubles and Spurs have signed Marceiras for one week.

World financial crisis helps the Spurs? A silver and black lining? :wow

SenorSpur
10-08-2008, 08:11 AM
Props for trying to improve.

My initial thoughts exactly. It's a good move, but it certainly cannot undo the past personnel faux pas.

picnroll
10-08-2008, 08:52 AM
Hopefully Ceramica is tanking more than Catepillar.

TDMVPDPOY
10-08-2008, 08:54 AM
the scola situation is a load of horse crap, we offered the same amount what rockets ended up givin him...fukn all because of roster positions lame...

picnroll
10-08-2008, 08:55 AM
the scola situation is a load of horse crap, we offered the same amount what rockets ended up givin him...fukn all because of roster positions lame...

Hopefully the Chinese shoe company paying Scola goes belly up too

Solid D
10-08-2008, 09:21 AM
Spurs hire Antonio Maceiras as European consultant

Wasn't he on the Mask of Zorro or something?

polandprzem
10-08-2008, 10:17 AM

Pop maybe thought his methods were universal, and in some way they are (were), but he was lacking of knowledge about European processes.
Well I don't know if it will help much but at least Pop will have a guy there who will have freash reports and that takes some responsibility (In a mean that he do not have to think about that) from Pop.

Solid D
10-08-2008, 10:21 AM
Wasn't Dennis Lindsey hired for his international scouting, market prowess and Liger-like skills? Why do they need someone from Europe to actually know the market in Europe?

polandprzem
10-08-2008, 10:25 AM
Wasn't Dennis Lindsey hired for his international scouting, market prowess and Liger-like skills? Why do they need someone from Europe to actually know the market in Europe?

I think they need the "european" guy. A guy who is inside, and knows the background talk.

???

Solid D
10-08-2008, 10:44 AM
blue ink = sarcasm

:)

polandprzem
10-08-2008, 11:58 AM
:pctoss

polandprzem
10-08-2008, 11:58 AM
U got me

:D

tp2021
10-08-2008, 01:56 PM
It's only one week. Basically like a trial period. But how much do they expect him to do for them in a week?

ducks
10-08-2008, 02:15 PM
Nice find and thanks for the news. At least the Spurs are now apparently trying to fix their weakness in regards to bringing over the players they want from Europe. The way they handled Scola turned out to be an error and losing out on Splitter really hurt the team's chances for this upcoming season. Props for trying to improve.

but but but holt is cheap:rolleyes:rolleyes

Bruno
10-08-2008, 02:40 PM
It's only one week. Basically like a trial period. But how much do they expect him to do for them in a week?

My bad, I've made a tense mistake in my post.

Maceiras signed with Spurs one week ago.
He is currently in SA to discuss with Spurs about his future role.

tp2021
10-08-2008, 02:49 PM

Gotcha. Appreciate the info Bruno, as always.

GSH
10-09-2008, 01:59 AM

So we've actually signed him. I mean, we don't have to negotiate a buy-out of his existing contract? And there's no chance he's going to stay in Europe to make more money? It's almost too easy. It's a shame we couldn't hire Splitter as a "rebounding consultant" to get around that rookie scale problem.