PDA

View Full Version : Shaq's Comments on "If Duncan Got #5 Before Him"

DynastyBuilder
10-08-2008, 08:51 AM
"I'd Be Pissed. And then I'd have to try to go out and do something to get number five." - Shaquille O'Neal

ESPN - around the 10:20 mark

http://sports.espn.go.com/broadband/video/videopage?videoId=3631775&categoryId=2459788&lpos=spotlight&lid=tab4pos2

tp2021
10-08-2008, 09:04 AM
May I take our order?

Yes. This is Big Shaq Diesel. I'll take a number 5 with cheese gotdammit.
Tim can tell me how my ass taste after I shit out this number 5. That big boring *profanity-laced tirade*

You wanna biggie size that Shaq?

No. I gotta watch my weight for next season.

dbreiden83080
10-08-2008, 09:17 AM
Nobody should ever take anything Shaq says serious anymore

dbreiden83080
10-08-2008, 09:29 AM
Typical Shaq interview

"I'm the best ________ in the world"

Wash, rinse and repeat

SenorSpur
10-08-2008, 09:47 AM
This guy is, without question, one of the most insecure athletes of our generation. He is a jealous, petty, petulent, adolescent with a pea brain and a cartoon mind. He could and should be using his celebrity platform for more charitable and worldly endeavors. Instead he chooses to manufacture long-running fueds with his competitors, displays a childish jealousy of their accomplishments and is more concerned about his "place in history" and his legacy when he leaves the game. He manufactured a feud with D-Rob from the time he came into the league. Now he's doing the same thing with Duncan.

All this preoccupation, in spite of his absolute greatness, as an athlete. His on-the-court accomplishments speak for themselves. His place in history couldn't be more secure.

He reminds me of a child, who is preoccupied with comparing "penis-sizes" with another grade school classmate.

tp2021
10-08-2008, 09:49 AM
This guy is, without question, one of the most insecure athletes of our generation. He is a jealous, petty, petulent, adolescent with a pea brain and a cartoon mind. He could and should be using his celebrity platform for more charitable and worldly endeavors. Instead he chooses to manufacture long-running fueds with his competitors, displays a childish jealousy of their accomplishments and is more concerned about his "place in history" and his legacy when he leaves the game. He manufactured a feud with D-Rob from the time he came into the league. Now he's doing the same thing with Duncan.

All this preoccupation, in spite of his absolute greatness, as an athlete. His on-the-court accomplishments speak for themselves. His place in history couldn't be more secure.

He reminds me of a child, who is preoccupied with comparing "penis-sizes" with another grade school classmate.

You're just mad cuz mine is bigger than yours.

:lol :downspin:

SenorSpur
10-08-2008, 09:59 AM
You're just mad cuz mine is bigger than yours.

:lol :downspin:

Am I that transparent? :lol

Taco
10-08-2008, 10:03 AM
"I'd Be Pissed. And then I'd have to try to go out and do something to get number five." - Shaquille O'Neal

http://sports.espn.go.com/broadband/video/videopage?videoId=3631775&categoryId=2459788&lpos=spotlight&lid=tab4pos2

i think he's talking about the #5 Mexican Dinner.

http://www.richmondmexicanfood.com/images/richmond_mexican_food_2.jpg

polandprzem
10-08-2008, 10:04 AM
Dream Team III?
Europe for money
Dancing witn he stars (american edition is weak, he can go)

I wonder how history will remember his 'confidence'
Because to me it's laughable in a bad way.
But many people consider it as a great thing.

to21

:lmao You have never been into the Troll forum huh?

Anti.Hero
Dancing w/ the Stars is pretty much a lock.

1Parker1
10-08-2008, 10:06 AM
:lol Yea, i'd bet anything he's going to end up on Dancing with the stars in about 5 years. That or like "The Surreal Life" :lol

dbreiden83080
10-08-2008, 10:08 AM

Well said but i just don't know how much of what he says can be taken seriously. Shaq to me looks like when he is about to do an interview, he is like "Oh the camera is on, time to try and be entertaining" I don't think he acts like this, in the presence of his peers. At least not all the time. Shaq is basically a big kid.

cool hand
10-08-2008, 10:09 AM
ah, shaq you need to get yours with one team, then start talking shit.

cool hand
10-08-2008, 10:09 AM
how about they get one together?

honestfool84
10-08-2008, 10:12 AM
well he has a deadline to beat duncan - 735 days as of september 12, 2008.

Amuseddaysleeper
10-08-2008, 10:20 AM
god, I hope the Spurs pull off a trade deadline miracle so they can have a roster that can get them over the top this year.

Allanon
10-08-2008, 10:20 AM
Good vid, probably the best Shaq interview I've ever seen. I do think he's sincere about what he said about Kobe. I don't think we'll ever see another dominant 1-2 punch like 3-peat Shaq/Kobe. What a fuckin' waste.

There are 2 things that Shaq won't live down:
1) Timmy gets 5
2) Kobe gets 4

The "Mr. Duncan" part was hilarious...in a way their careers are intertwined with both of them being part of 8 rings in the last 10 years or so.

polandprzem
10-08-2008, 10:28 AM
Wasn't Wade the best player, I mean Penny umm ... yeah I think he is sincere

SenorSpur
10-08-2008, 10:36 AM
Well said but i just don't know how much of what he says can be taken seriously. Shaq to me looks like when he is about to do an interview, he is like "Oh the camera is on, time to try and be entertaining" I don't think he acts like this, in the presence of his peers. At least not all the time. Shaq is basically a big kid.

Let's not forget his rekindlling of the Shaq-Kobe feud.

I realize that's part of his schtick. Big kidness aside, he's just very immature. Dude is 34-35 years old. At what point does this guy grow up?

Personally, his act has grown tiresome. I wish he'd do the sports world a favor and just shut up.

stretch
10-08-2008, 10:42 AM

:tu

couldnt agree more. one of the most insecure bitch athletes in sports history.

duncan228
10-08-2008, 10:44 AM
Shaq said it last year too.

April 30, 2008 (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/MYSA043008_01C_COL_BKNharvey_spurs_b30c891f_html.h tml).

"I need to get my fifth ring,” Shaq said, “before Duncan gets his.”

I'm looking for Duncan's response, I have it somewhere.

Amuseddaysleeper
10-08-2008, 10:54 AM
I think deep down though, Shaq obviously has huge respect for TD.

xtremesteven33
10-08-2008, 11:00 AM
Shaq is the class clown of the NBA. Some people find him funny and love to hear his jokes and wise cracks but some people find him annoying and think he shuld be more serious. people dont take class clowns seriously. they laugh at them.

SenorSpur
10-08-2008, 11:13 AM
Shaq is the class clown of the NBA. Some people find him funny and love to hear his jokes and wise cracks but some people find him annoying and think he shuld be more serious. people dont take class clowns seriously. they laugh at them.

That's just it. His jokes and cracks are rarely even funny. Almost everyone can appreciate good humor - myself included. There's adolescent humor and then there is adult humor. Colour me in the category of those who finds him annoying and wishes he's just simply shut up.

"the whole world's a circus, don't you be the clown"

- Chic 1978

dbreiden83080
10-08-2008, 11:19 AM
I think deep down though, Shaq obviously has huge respect for TD.

I'm sure he does but he also knows he can get away with saying something stupid like that about TD now and again because Tim is the last guy in the league looking to flag down a camera crew to issue a response.

xtremesteven33
10-08-2008, 11:30 AM
I dont find nothing wrong with what Shaq says. Hes having fun and making the NBA more entertaining. It was Shaq who made the Spurs-Lakers fueds boil. Spurs fans loved to hate him. Remember when he reffered to the Spurs as a WNBA team?? hilarious!

It was Shaq who made the Lakers-Kings rivalry, one of the best of our time. "Sacramento Queens" Good stuff.

I think Shaq is a funny dude. nothing wrong with talkin smack as long he isnt insulting anybody on a personal level.

benefactor
10-08-2008, 12:41 PM
Meh...I've just learned to ignore him.

dbreiden83080
10-08-2008, 12:45 PM
Meh...I've just learned to ignore him.

Me too

BlackSwordsMan
10-08-2008, 12:47 PM
If only him and kobe's egos would have gotten along he would have 10+ rings by now

dbreiden83080
10-08-2008, 12:49 PM
If only him and kobe's egos would have gotten along he would have 10+ rings by now

Funny thing is, you put Duncan in LA and he'd still be there winning rings with Kobe. Timmy never would have started any shit with Kobe whatsoever.

Obstructed_View
10-08-2008, 12:50 PM
I stopped reading after "Shaq's comments on"

BlackSwordsMan
10-08-2008, 12:53 PM
Funny thing is, you put Duncan in LA and he'd still be there winning rings with Kobe. Timmy never would have started any shit with Kobe whatsoever.

Kobe should join the spurs. :hat

Manufan909
10-08-2008, 12:59 PM

If Duncan had been there instead, the 3-peat Lakers would've been th 8-peat Lakers, they would've been THE dynasty.

sendman
10-08-2008, 01:15 PM
I stopped reading after "Shaq's comments on"
It figures. You are so full of yourself, that you probably went to play with yourself.

dbreiden83080
10-08-2008, 01:54 PM
If Duncan had been there instead, the 3-peat Lakers would've been th 8-peat Lakers, they would've been THE dynasty.

Kobe still would have been whining about Duncan being such a great player and him wanting all the attention for himself but it all blew up with Shaq because neither of them wanted to give away any attention. Being on the best team in the NBA was not enough. They had to get all the credit as well. Duncan is not like that. He wants to win, and that's really it.

Obstructed_View
10-08-2008, 02:46 PM
It figures. You are so full of yourself, that you probably went to play with yourself.

Man, even your attempts at insults are lame. :lol

FromWayDowntown
10-08-2008, 02:48 PM
I think that Shaq knows that the historical question about the best big man of this generation is one that is moving in Duncan's favor -- rings are equal; their head-to-heads in playoff series are now equal (3-3); Each Shaq's got better scoring numbers, TD's got better rebounding numbers; TD has 2 MVP's to Shaq's 1; TD has 9 First Team All-NBA's to Shaq's 8; Timmy has 11 All-Defense selections to Shaq's 3; Tim's teams have never lost in the First Round while Shaq's teams have done so three different times.

And the fact that Shaq sees it as a competition just confirms his respect for Duncan -- Shaq definitely knows that his place in history, at least compared to Duncan, hangs in the balance.

dbreiden83080
10-08-2008, 02:50 PM
The only thing Kobe complained about with Shaq was not being in shape and taking first place every year for homecourt. Shaqs reply was... "as long as we get one of those top four seeds." Kobe would not have had to complain about Duncan being in shape... ever!!!

Tell me you are joking right?

Kobe was seething with jealousy over Shaq being seen as the force that won those titles. He hated the fact that Shaq got all 3 of those finals MVP's. Shaq is a selfish ass himself and he got off on how Kobe was jealous of his personal success during that title run. Both Kobe and Shaq wanted it all, that is why it fell apart.

dbreiden83080
10-08-2008, 02:53 PM
I think that Shaq knows that the historical question about the best big man of this generation is one that is moving in Duncan's favor -- rings are equal; their head-to-heads in playoff series are now equal (3-3); Each Shaq's got better scoring numbers, TD's got better rebounding numbers; TD has 2 MVP's to Shaq's 1; TD has 9 First Team All-NBA's to Shaq's 8; Timmy has 11 All-Defense selections to Shaq's 3; Tim's teams have never lost in the First Round while Shaq's teams have done so three different times.

And the fact that Shaq sees it as a competition just confirms his respect for Duncan -- Shaq definitely knows that his place in history, at least compared to Duncan, hangs in the balance.

Great stats

And Duncan is a better all time player than Shaq. He passed him with title number 4.

Spork KIller
10-08-2008, 02:59 PM

Duncon will NOT get #5

Sorry homers...

Your team including Duncon are done for good.

Spork KIller
10-08-2008, 03:01 PM
Its amazing how much jealously Shaq has for other players. He and Gilbert Arenas are pathetic. Correct me if Im wrong but didnt Duncan just bounce Shaq out of the playoffs a few months ago.

Memo to Snaq: You and your team are officially irrelevent!!!

How about getting you out in 2 consecutive playoffs....

BlackSwordsMan
10-08-2008, 03:01 PM
Duncon will NOT get #5

Sorry homers...

:sleep

FromWayDowntown
10-08-2008, 03:06 PM
Duncon will NOT get #5

Sorry homers...

I'd disagree, but even if you're right, it's far better to be done than to have never gotten started.

dn0774
10-08-2008, 03:29 PM
I'm as big a Spurs fan as there is and I despise Shaq but the league just wont be as fun without him. In 10 years I bet almost every one of you will miss the guy more than you thought possible.

Also, from 99-01 he was the most dominant player i've ever seen...including MJ. I dont know what changed between the '99 playoffs and the start of the '99-00 season (Phil Jacksons arrival?) but he was a different kind of beast altogether. He'll always be appreciated for that putting on that kind of display.

sendman
10-08-2008, 03:47 PM
Man, even your attempts at insults are lame. :lol
And there is no bigger expert about lame than you. So you should know.

Galileo
10-08-2008, 03:52 PM
If Shaq ever gets # 5, it will be as a benchwarmer for the Spurs in 2012.

Galileo
10-08-2008, 03:53 PM
Duncon will NOT get #5

Sorry homers...

Duncan was better than Shaq by the time he led the Spurs to glory in 1999.

duncan228
10-08-2008, 03:59 PM
Some quotes from last season.

Shaq, April 17, 2008:

When asked about his familiarity with Duncan, the Big Aristotle responded, “It’s not so much an advantage as that you want to become great when you play against greatness.
The article:
http://www.nba.com/suns/news/pivotal_matchup_080417.html
The ST thread with the article:
http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=92182

Duncan, February 7, 2008:

Tim Duncan knows it. When he looks over and sees the Los Angeles Lakers trading for Pau Gasol, and the Phoenix Suns trading for Shaquille O'Neal, he knows the intent is to knock him off his perch as NBA champion.

"I would guess so," Duncan said after scoring 23 points and 9 rebounds as the Spurs defeated the Washington Wizards, 85-77, last night. "Obviously, you don't want to say that - it's to make their team better - but I got to imagine that's the point of it."

But Duncan, almost four years Shaq's junior at 31, said he isn't competing with O'Neal, or in some sort of race to get a fifth championship.

"I want the fifth. I don't care about him," Duncan said, laughing. "I don't care who has what. It's all about winning. Everybody always asks, 'You've got four rings, what's your motivation to do it again?' It's because you want to do it again. You've been there and you've enjoyed being on top of the league. There is no place like it."
The article:
http://blog.washingtonpost.com/wizardsinsider/2008/02/trumpin_duncan.html
The ST thread with the article:
http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86601

koriwhat
10-08-2008, 04:17 PM
Duncon will NOT get #5

Sorry homers...

who the fuck is duncon? you've got to be the stupidest motherfucker here on ST. wait a minute.... is this mouse? you can never be too sure with that pos and his 10 billion usernames.

duncan228
10-08-2008, 04:28 PM
wait a minute.... is this mouse?

It's not mouse.

SenorSpur
10-08-2008, 04:28 PM
I'm as big a Spurs fan as there is and I despise Shaq but the league just wont be as fun without him. In 10 years I bet almost every one of you will miss the guy more than you thought possible.

I doubt that. His years of bad conditioning and laziness haven't helped him extend his productivity. His on-court contributions are now irrevelant. Sure he can muster up the occasional double-double. However, he can't do it on consecutive nights anymore. Defensively he's as bad as he's ever been - especially on pic-n-rolls. He's become a mere shadow of his former self. He's just hanging on collecting a paycheck - and a very, very healthy paycheck, at that. As of last season, his run annual all-star appearances are now over. I don't see very many highlights of him on ESPN now. Therefore, if he didn't run his mouth so goddamn much, I wouldn't know he's in the league now.

Also, from 99-01 he was the most dominant player i've ever seen...including MJ. I dont know what changed between the '99 playoffs and the start of the '99-00 season (Phil Jacksons arrival?) but he was a different kind of beast altogether. He'll always be appreciated for that putting on that kind of display.

His dominance during that period is undeniable. We all know that. He doesn't have to keep reminding everybody. He comes off like the old, wounded lion in the wild. He knows his last days are in sight. He's merely growling to send a message to the young upstarts that he's still around. At this point, he's living off sheer reputation and that growl is all he has left.

Obstructed_View
10-08-2008, 04:58 PM
And there is no bigger expert about lame than you. So you should know.

Oh my god, you are actually the worst poster in a thread that has Louis bouncing around in it. You've officially hit a new low.

MrChug
10-08-2008, 05:10 PM
God I love Colleen Dominguez.

Galileo
10-08-2008, 05:50 PM

Players who have accomplished more in the NBA than Shaq:

Jordan
Kareem
Magic
Russell
Duncan
Bird
Bob Cousy

m33p0
10-08-2008, 09:20 PM

Jordan
Kareem
Magic
Russell
Duncan
Bird
Bob Cousy
That is a short list. And with only Duncan and him being the only ones active, its clear why Shaq sees it as a competition.

FromWayDowntown
10-08-2008, 10:03 PM
That is a short list. And with only Duncan and him being the only ones active, its clear why Shaq sees it as a competition.

Which was exactly my point.

T Park
10-08-2008, 10:32 PM
So just curious, so should he have just said
"Oh, if he got #5 I'll bow to him and just retire"

Hes a competitive athlete and wants to beat Duncan.

Thats all I read into it, and thats all I saw.

Some of you guys make more into things than whats really there.

Killakobe81
10-08-2008, 10:36 PM

I have NEVER read truer words on this site ...and i have said many times when TD one his FIRST title i would of traded SHAQ for Duncan straight up everyone in LA thought i was crazy ...but i knew bothe Kobe and Duncan would be that good ... but now you wouldnt even trade Manu or parker for Shaq ...
Shaq is great but Duncan is greater better fundamentals, passion, committment to team and conditioning ...better defender I dont care that Shaq played for the Lakers and TD for spurs he and hakeem best big men since Kareem Shaq is third ...

Killakobe81
10-08-2008, 10:38 PM

Jordan
Kareem
Magic
Russell
Duncan
Bird
Bob Cousy

Essentially true but I still believe hakeem was a more complete center

dbreiden83080
10-08-2008, 10:43 PM

Duncan still has a few years of high level play left. Tony and Manu if healthy are still huge forces in the league. The Suns days as contenders are gone. Nash now gets it handed to him by the likes of Tony and Chris Paul. They had a 3 or 4 year window to win it all, they could not get it done. Shaq is maybe half the player he was in his prime. He is not likely to get number 5, unless he walks into one, on a different team basically just riding the bench.

dbreiden83080
10-08-2008, 10:44 PM
Essentially true but I still believe hakeem was a more complete center

I think Hakeem had a more dominant prime but did not sustain that as long as some other great centers.

JamStone
10-08-2008, 11:53 PM
This is just me guessing, but I think some of the people who are blasting Shaq now were probably laughing and amused when Shaq did that rap about Kobe. But, once he answers a question about Tim Duncan, all of a sudden Shaq is an insecure, petulant, immature kid.

Uh hello, we already knew that. I actually don't think there was anything wrong with what Shaq said. He said he'd be pissed if Duncan got a fifth first. The guy is being honest. He cares about his legacy, maybe too much. Maybe he's too self absorbed and insecure with his legacy. It's who he is. He plays up to the crowd, he's the lovable teddy bear giant, the clown, and he often wears his emotions on his sleeve. It's who he's always been. He always took criticism to heart, whether it was his free throw shooting or his weight.

There was actually nothing wrong with what he said about being pissed if Duncan won #5 before him. It fits who he is. And, I don't think it's an "act." It's really who he is.

dbreiden83080
10-08-2008, 11:59 PM
This is just me guessing, but I think some of the people who are blasting Shaq now were probably laughing and amused when Shaq did that rap about Kobe.

Uh We were laughing and amused and calling him a clown and an asshole for doing that. It was funny yes, but he was not in the right when he did it. I don't take what Shaq says seriously because he is such a 24/7 clown. Yeah he is being honest, about how big an imature ass-clown he really is.

JamStone
10-09-2008, 12:18 AM
Is it immature for Shaq to want to be better than a great player?

Was it immature for David Robinson to score 71 points in the final game of the season against a non playoff team to get the scoring title?

Players want to be the best they possibly can be. They want to break records, have a legacy. In this regard with what he said in this particular interview, Shaq is like most highly competitive great professional athletes.

Sure, he's insecure and immature. But not with the statement he made about being pissed if Duncan gets a fifth before him.

LA24
10-09-2008, 01:13 AM
I just saw that interview and Shaq said the whole "I'd be pissed...." line with a huge smirk on his face. I didn't see any insecurity in his demeanor at all or any contempt directed at Tim. He even said he won't catch Bill Russell's number of rings won and concluded he'd probably be 2nd behind him in all time great big men (it takes a wee bit of humility to say that). You guys are making this worse than it really is, and I'm not even a Shaq fan.

And seeing his remarks about the whole Kobe rap thing, I actually believe that he really was just playing up to the crowd.

He can be crass and a jerk at times, but he seemed sincere enough this time.

GSH
10-09-2008, 01:13 AM
Yeah, yeah... and when Snaq gets upset, he's "been known to do certain things... like win championships." We all heard Snaq bluster at the beginning of last season. Now if Duncan gets to #5 ahead of him, Snaq's gonna go off on everybody and average 30-20 for the season. It's gonna be exciting to watch - I can hardly wait.

I think Snaq better focus on getting his Deputy Dawg badge back, so he'll have something to do after basketball.

GSH
10-09-2008, 01:28 AM

Jordan
Kareem
Magic
Russell
Duncan
Bird
Bob Cousy

+ Wilt and Oscar Robertson, at minimum.

T Park
10-09-2008, 01:35 AM
I just saw that interview and Shaq said the whole "I'd be pissed...." line with a huge smirk on his face. I didn't see any insecurity in his demeanor at all or any contempt directed at Tim. He even said he won't catch Bill Russell's number of rings won and concluded he'd probably be 2nd behind him in all time great big men (it takes a wee bit of humility to say that). You guys are making this worse than it really is, and I'm not even a Shaq fan.

And seeing his remarks about the whole Kobe rap thing, I actually believe that he really was just playing up to the crowd.

He can be crass and a jerk at times, but he seemed sincere enough this time.

Can't argue with this.

Spot on, good post :tu

mrspurs
10-09-2008, 08:39 AM
I remember what Shaq said when Drob got a ring before he did. But since I dont cuss, I cant repeat it. Im sure someone in here can type it.

HarlemHeat37
10-09-2008, 10:57 AM
Bob Cousy? LOL no, not even close..

I'd put Shaq around 7th-9th all-time..

Jordan, Wilt, Kareem, Magic, Russell, Bird are the elite 6..Shaq would either be my 7th or 8th, in a toss-up with Hakeem..

Tim could surpass him career-wise with a few more all-NBA selections on both sides..a championship puts Tim ahead of both Hakeem and Shaq..

duncan228
10-09-2008, 11:21 AM
“He’s got a ring, so I’m taking home the trophy.” (Shaq, Referring to the co-MVP honors for both Shaquille O’Neal and Tim Duncan in the 2000 All-Star game.)

Shaq's said some pretty funny things over the years. This is a good site with tons of quotes, and you can search it by catagory. It also has Shaq YouTube links.

shaqquotes.com (http://www.shaqquotes.com/)

Catagories:
On Winning
On Kobe Bryant & The Lakers
On Free Throws
On His Greatness
About Himself
On His Education
Shaq Inventing Words
On His Nicknames
On Coaches
On The Media
On The Referees & The NBA
Miscellaneous

SenorSpur
10-09-2008, 11:56 AM
This is just me guessing, but I think some of the people who are blasting Shaq now were probably laughing and amused when Shaq did that rap about Kobe. But, once he answers a question about Tim Duncan, all of a sudden Shaq is an insecure, petulant, immature kid.

Uh, I don't think so. Not everyone.

My personal comments about this guy have absolutely zero to do with Duncan. When he performed that adolescent rap on Kobe, I called him out in this forum for "keeping the purported Shaq/Kobe feud alive" for yet another year. In fact, I fully expected another Xmas Day tilt of Shaq vs Kobe - Part VIII. Thankfully, the networks have spared us all of that for this year.

At some point in his career, I presumed this guy would finally grow up and start acting like an adult, as opposed to the immature child that he's been his whole career. That would mean rising above the petty jealousies that caused him to be run out of L.A. It's perfectly fine to seek and destroy the competition on the court, but how about being a sportsman off the court?

What difference does it make anyway? He's got his 4th title. Kobe is still chasing his. His point has been made. He'll go down as truly one of the all-time greats. Period. His legend is as secure as can be.

If he's still so insecure about his place in history, I've some good advice for him. Go out and work to raise his FT % above a pitiful 52%.

JamStone
10-09-2008, 12:43 PM
"some" does not = "everyone"

samikeyp
10-09-2008, 12:44 PM
"some" does not = "everyone"

to some on this board, it does. :bang

:)

sendman
10-09-2008, 12:45 PM
Oh my god, you are actually the worst poster in a thread that has Louis bouncing around in it. You've officially hit a new low.
:lmao Who died and made you official...anything. Dude, hold your horses for a minute. Oh, I forgot, you are so full of yourself that you can't.:lmao

z0sa
10-09-2008, 12:49 PM
Uh, I don't think so. Not everyone.

My personal comments about this guy have absolutely zero to do with Duncan. When he performed that adolescent rap on Kobe, I called him out in this forum for "keeping the purported Shaq/Kobe feud alive" for yet another year. In fact, I fully expected another Xmas Day tilt of Shaq vs Kobe - Part VIII. Thankfully, the networks have spared us all of that for this year.

At some point in his career, I presumed this guy would finally grow up and start acting like an adult, as opposed to the immature child that he's been his whole career. That would mean rising above the petty jealousies that caused him to be run out of L.A. It's perfectly fine to seek and destroy the competition on the court, but how about being a sportsman off the court?

What difference does it make anyway? He's got his 4th title. Kobe is still chasing his. His point has been made. He'll go down as truly one of the all-time greats. Period. His legend is as secure as can be.

If he's still so insecure about his place in history, I've some good advice for him. Go out and work to raise his FT % above a pitiful 52%.

If Shaq hit his free throws at a 70% margin ... this guy wouldve been the all time scoring leader by now.

SenorSpur
10-09-2008, 01:00 PM
If Shaq hit his free throws at a 70% margin ... this guy wouldve been the all time scoring leader by now.

No doubt! :toast

JamStone
10-09-2008, 01:48 PM
Not even close.

Kareem: 38,387 NBA points
Shaq: 26,286 NBA points

Shaq's free throws/free throw attempts: 5,441/10,376 (52.4%)

If Shaq hit 70% of his free throws: 7,263 (1,822 more points)

Shaq if he hit 70% of his free throws: 28,108 NBA points

edit: Kareem played a looooooooong fucking time.

p.s. That would put Shaq at fifth all time.

FromWayDowntown
10-09-2008, 02:37 PM
Not even close.

Shaq: 26,286 NBA points

Shaq's free throws/free throw attempts: 5,441/10,376 (52.4%)

If Shaq hit 70% of his free throws: 7,263 (1,822 more points)

Shaq if he hit 70% of his free throws: 28,108 NBA points

edit: Kareem played a looooooooong fucking time.

p.s. That would put Shaq at fifth all time.

Your point is a good one. I'd be curious how those points would affect Shaq's per game scoring averages.

I was also thinking that if Shaq had been a better FT shooter, he wouldn't have been such a liability for his teams late in close games and might have been more available in those moments to rack up more FTA. But the fact that he's always been a poor FT shooter has encouraged teams to foul him intentionally and send him to the line more often, which artificially inflates his FTA number. I think you could argue that if Shaq had been a better FT shooter, he actually would have gotten fewer attempts and the number of points he would have left at the line would actually be smaller than what you calculate here.

In any event, I love Shaq and have appreciated him for many years now. I do think there's a competition, a healthy one, between Shaq and Duncan (at least in Shaq's mind) and that Shaq would prefer to leave the game being thought of as the dominant big man of the post-Jordan era. He knows that Duncan is the sole threat to his being perceived that way and I think the desire to get a 5th ring "before Duncan" is all about that quest. But I also think that Shaq knows that he and Duncan are already historically elite players and that the comparison is among the greatest of the great, which isn't a bad place to be. That Shaq includes Duncan in this at all is testament to just how much respect he has for Tim, and that's a great thing to see.

SenorSpur
10-09-2008, 03:14 PM
Your point is a good one. I'd be curious how those points would affect Shaq's per game scoring averages.

I was also thinking that if Shaq had been a better FT shooter, he wouldn't have been such a liability for his teams late in close games and might have been more available in those moments to rack up more FTA. But the fact that he's always been a poor FT shooter has encouraged teams to foul him intentionally and send him to the line more often, which artificially inflates his FTA number. I think you could argue that if Shaq had been a better FT shooter, he actually would have gotten fewer attempts and the number of points he would have left at the line would actually be smaller than what you calculate here.

In any event, I love Shaq and have appreciated him for many years now. I do think there's a competition, a healthy one, between Shaq and Duncan (at least in Shaq's mind) and that Shaq would prefer to leave the game being thought of as the dominant big man of the post-Jordan era. He knows that Duncan is the sole threat to his being perceived that way and I think the desire to get a 5th ring "before Duncan" is all about that quest. But I also think that Shaq knows that he and Duncan are already historically elite players and that the comparison is among the greatest of the great, which isn't a bad place to be. That Shaq includes Duncan in this at all is testament to just how much respect he has for Tim, and that's a great thing to see.

Outside of the fact that both Duncan and Shaq are big men, I believe the comparisons of their greatness end there. Duncan is widely thought of as a PF. In fact, already considered the best PF of all-time.

Shaq, on the other hand, being a true center, will be hailed as one of the top 3 centers of all-time and the most dominant player of his era.

I believe history will look at them as different animals entirely. If not, Shaq will always get the edge in public sentiment because of his mouth, his personality and of course, HE will keep reminding everyone of his greatness.

Meanwhile, Duncan will be content to allow his game, his accomplishments and his titles to speak for themselves. I do agree the competition is only in Shaq's cartoon mind. Duncan couldn't care less.

Spuradicator
10-09-2008, 03:26 PM
Shaq will forever be stuck on 4

Galileo
10-09-2008, 04:11 PM
Bob Cousy? LOL no, not even close..

I'd put Shaq around 7th-9th all-time..

Jordan, Wilt, Kareem, Magic, Russell, Bird are the elite 6..Shaq would either be my 7th or 8th, in a toss-up with Hakeem..

Tim could surpass him career-wise with a few more all-NBA selections on both sides..a championship puts Tim ahead of both Hakeem and Shaq..

Cousy won 6 NBA titles, one MVP, and was first-team All-NBA ten times.

The only other players to do that are Jordan and Kareem.

JamStone
10-09-2008, 05:01 PM
Shaq, on the other hand, being a true center, will be hailed as one of the top 3 centers of all-time and the most dominant player of his era.

Curious to see who you feel are the two centers ahead of Shaq and who you place him ahead of.

I wouldn't consider Shaq a top 3 center of all time. I would put Wilt, Russell, Kareem, and Hakeem ahead of him. But, I'm curious what your list is to have Shaq a top 3 center of all time.

Obstructed_View
10-09-2008, 05:43 PM
Curious to see who you feel are the two centers ahead of Shaq and who you place him ahead of.

I wouldn't consider Shaq a top 3 center of all time. I would put Wilt, Russell, Kareem, and Hakeem ahead of him. But, I'm curious what your list is to have Shaq a top 3 center of all time.

I'd put Wilt, Russell and Kareem ahead of him. No way I'd put Hakeem ahead of him, even if he retired today. Shaq could play for several more years so he could easily receive consideration in the top three at some point.

JamStone
10-09-2008, 06:47 PM
Hakeem dominated both ends of the court and won championships without a superstar teammate.

Shaq never consistently dominated the defensive end and never won a title without having a superstar perimeter player as a teammate.

Still, even if you argue that, it doesn't put him in the top 3. And, no matter how long Shaq plays, he won't surpass Wilt, Russell, or Kareem.

Obstructed_View
10-09-2008, 07:37 PM
Hakeem dominated both ends of the court and won championships without a superstar teammate.
You should have said "won championship" unless you think Clyde Drexler wasn't a superstar. And in '94, all he had was Vernon Maxwell, Robert Horry, Sam Cassel and Mario Elie. Hakeem was a great player, but Shaq's been way more dominant for a longer period of time IMO.

Now that I think about it more, you're probably right. If Shaq plays as long as Kareem, he's not likely to approach the scoring title just because he doesn't have a move that guarantees him ten or twelve points every game. I can't shake the feeling that he could get into the discussion if he takes the last few years of his career seriously.

SenorSpur
10-09-2008, 09:04 PM

My bad. And I agree with you. I should've said top 5 center of all-time. However, I did hear on ESPN that Shaq rated himself the 3rd best center in NBA History - behind Russell and Kareem. A complete diss to Hakeem and Wilt.

peskypesky
10-09-2008, 09:08 PM
What kills me is Duncan would have 5 and possibly 6 already if Poppzit hadn't been such stubborn dumbass in two series (Dallas in 2006, LA in 2008).

SenorSpur
10-09-2008, 09:09 PM
What kills me is Duncan would have 5 and possibly 6 already if Poppzit hadn't been such stubborn dumbass in two series (Dallas in 2006, LA in 2008).

Ouch!

JamStone
10-09-2008, 09:50 PM

Those "if" scenarios guarantee only two more Finals appearances. Nothing more.

You should have said "won championship" unless you think Clyde Drexler wasn't a superstar. And in '94, all he had was Vernon Maxwell, Robert Horry, Sam Cassel and Mario Elie. Hakeem was a great player, but Shaq's been way more dominant for a longer period of time IMO.

Now that I think about it more, you're probably right. If Shaq plays as long as Kareem, he's not likely to approach the scoring title just because he doesn't have a move that guarantees him ten or twelve points every game. I can't shake the feeling that he could get into the discussion if he takes the last few years of his career seriously.

Good catch. Apparently, I wasn't even thinking when I typed that post quickly. But yeah, Hakeem won "a" championship without a superstar teammate.

There's definitely an argument that Shaq had a better career than Hakeem. But, I think there's one for Hakeem as well. It's all subjective opinion. And, while I would disagree with someone who felt Shaq was the better center, I wouldn't blast them for it.

My bad. And I agree with you. I should've said top 5 center of all-time. However, I did hear on ESPN that Shaq rated himself the 3rd best center in NBA History - behind Russell and Kareem. A complete diss to Hakeem and Wilt.

It's cool. Just was curious how you'd rank if you did feel that way.

Obstructed_View
10-09-2008, 09:56 PM
There's definitely an argument that Shaq had a better career than Hakeem. But, I think there's one for Hakeem as well. It's all subjective opinion. And, while I would disagree with someone who felt Shaq was the better center, I wouldn't blast them for it.

It's interesting, because in the Rockets broadcast of the game tonight, Drexler and whoever does PbP, while talking about Duncan said that you have to mention him in the group with the all time greats. They mentioned Jordan, Russell, Kareem, and Shaq, but not Hakeem. If Clyde won't even pick Hakeem over Shaq, then I'm not sure who should.

And I probably shouldn't blast someone for picking Hakeem, but I have made clear why I think he's overrated in the past, and there's an admittedly personal slant to it. :)

JamStone
10-09-2008, 11:22 PM
Interesting, but I think I'd have to hear the audio to make an assessment like that. Otherwise, I would assume Shaq is better than Wilt and Magic and Bird as well. If those are all the guys they talked about, sounds more like the greatest individual "winners" among greatest players since all those players have at least 4 championship rings.

Again, would have to hear the audio and maybe even get into the heads of each of the broadcasters to know exactly what they were talking about.

Obstructed_View
10-09-2008, 11:26 PM
Interesting, but I think I'd have to hear the audio to make an assessment like that. Otherwise, I would assume Shaq is better than Wilt and Magic and Bird as well. If those are all the guys they talked about, sounds more like the greatest individual "winners" among greatest players since all those players have at least 4 championship rings.

Again, would have to hear the audio and maybe even get into the heads of each of the broadcasters to know exactly what they were talking about.

They mentioned multiple championships and MVP awards. I only made note of it because they mentioned Shaq and not Hakeem right on the heels of our having this discussion. I probably wouldn't have mentioned it if it had supported your position. :)

JamStone
10-09-2008, 11:27 PM
Lol, fair enough.

Obstructed_View
10-09-2008, 11:34 PM
Jam, what movie is that av from? It's driving me nuts. I think it's that movie about the black kid named Leroy who acted like Bruce Lee. Wasn't Vanity in that?

Oh wait. The Shogun of Harlem. What the hell was the movie called?

JamStone
10-09-2008, 11:37 PM
"The Last Dragon" (1985)

Yes, Bruce Leeroy and Sho 'nuff.

And, yes Vanity was the girl in it.

dirk4mvp
10-09-2008, 11:38 PM

Does it kill you even more knowing that if Kobe wasn't a jackass, Shaq might have a few more as well?

Obstructed_View
10-09-2008, 11:48 PM
"The Last Dragon" (1985)

Yes, Bruce Leeroy and Sho 'nuff.

And, yes Vanity was the girl in it.

LOL. 80s movies ruled.