PDA

View Full Version : San Antonio On NFL's Radar

duncan228
10-09-2008, 11:08 AM
San Antonio on NFL's radar (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/cowboys/30669899.html)
Tom Orsborn - Express-News

San Antonio is on a track that could lead to the NFL considering it for an expansion team someday, commissioner Roger Goodell suggested Wednesday.

“My words of encouragement would be to stay the course and continue to grow and continue to prepare if the opportunity comes about,” said Goodell, responding to a question from the audience during a luncheon sponsored by the University of the Incarnate Word and the Greater San Antonio Chamber of Commerce.

While making it clear the league has no immediate plans to grow beyond 32 teams and will continue to discourage relocation, Goodell indicated there has been a shift in how the league views San Antonio.

“There’s no question the growth is extraordinary here,” Goodell said. “You see it as soon as you come into the city ... The vision the leaders have here to grow this community has been very positive. I think that will provide new opportunities.’’

The NFL, under former commissioner Paul Tagliabue, has spurned the city twice in the past 16 years.

In March 1992, the league rejected a San Antonio expansion effort. The city’s bid was one of the first cut in a process that eventually led to teams being awarded to Jacksonville, Fla., and Charlotte, N.C.

In 2005, the New Orleans Saints relocated operations to San Antonio in the wake of Hurricane Katrina and played three regular-season games at the Alamodome.

Tagliabue, responding to reports that the Saints were considering permanent relocation, angered civic leaders when he dismissed the city as a small market.

Since replacing Tagliabue in 2006, Goodell has worked to establish a warmer relationship between the league and San Antonio.

“We are in a difficult period of time (economically),’’ Goodell said, “but San Antonio continues to rise, and I think that is remarkable.”

Saints owner and UIW booster Tom Benson invited Goodell to the event on the UIW campus. The luncheon also featured comments from UIW president Louis Agnese about the school’s fledgling football program, which Benson is helping bankroll.

Benson said San Antonio “has a friend” in Goodell, who attended Benson’s wedding to Gayle Marie LaJaunie Bird at UIW’s chapel in 2004.

“He’s been here before, but he never had a real nice tour like he had today,” said Benson, who has strong business and personal ties to San Antonio. “If expansion came, San Antonio would certainly be in the cards. I feel very strongly about that. This guy is very open-minded.”

During the luncheon, Goodell sat next to County Judge Nelson Wolff, former mayor Henry Cisneros and businessman Charlie Amato, a Spurs shareholder and a member of the chamber’s NFL Task Force.

“With me, Nelson and Henry sitting next to him, he got the full-court press, trust me,” Amato said. “We think we did an adequate job of explaining our growth and showing we are not having all the economic problems they’re having on the West and East coasts. Our region is growing, and we have positive employment, and we explained all that to him.

“Although he made it clear expansion right now is not a priority, we at least know we are on his radar screen.”

It wasn’t Wolff’s first visit with Goodell. He said he talked to the commissioner in New York about a year ago.

“I expressed to him how disappointed we were with Tagliabue after he didn’t have the courtesy to even meet with the mayor (Phil Hardberger) while the Saints were here in 2005, and (Goodell) said, ‘That’s not going to be how it is with me,’” Wolff said. “It’s good for us to establish a relationship with Roger because I think he is going to be in that job for a long time.”

The Saints played three games before sold-out crowds at the Alamodome before returning to New Orleans after the season.

Goodell said the league was “incredibly grateful” San Antonio embraced the Saints. He also praised the “passion” of the fans that attended the games.

“San Antonio continues to do all the right things,” Goodell told reporters. “It is growing. It is a stronger community than it was. You have got great leadership here, both corporate and public. And, as I said, the passion is extraordinary. Passion is really what makes a difference, so you are on the radar screen.”

Goodell also dismissed the notion that Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones and Houston Texans owner Bob McNair would block any attempt to grant Texas a third team.

“I don’t think they would,” Goodell said. “I think they recognize the great passion of the fans here.”

Anti.Hero
10-09-2008, 11:10 AM
WILL. NEVER. HAPPEN.

Jerry Jones will never let this happen. Period.

Taco
10-09-2008, 11:13 AM
http://www.grokdotcom.com/wp-content/uploads/Michele/danglethecarrot.jpg

Evan
10-09-2008, 11:15 AM
It will never happen. Best shot was before the Texans and with the Saints after the hurricane. LA will get a team first.

greenroom
10-09-2008, 11:17 AM
I agree it will never happen. I could see San Antonio could turn into a nice NCAA football town. If UTSA could ever get a team, but the NFL will never be here.

Dallas and Houston would lose to much revenue for a team to be here.

Extra Stout
10-09-2008, 11:20 AM
:lol

San Antonio is on a track that could lead to the NFL considering it someday. Wow. What a ringing endorsement.

But of course San Antonians will hear what they want to hear, as always. In this case, what they will hear is "The NFL wants to put a team in the Alamodome in five years."

This has the potential to increase ticket sales at a hypothetical future preseason game in SA, involving the Texans.

JudynTX
10-09-2008, 11:33 AM
Let me know when this happens. :wakeup

PeterBurns
10-09-2008, 11:40 AM
Hey Goodell....thanks a lot.
Although, I also put this on city council and leaders.
In order to make anything happen here, you would need a HUGE push beginning right now to even come close to making anything happen by 2012.

But, we won't...and I find it laughable that Jerry Jones and McNair would allow it to happen.

They'll come out and say the right things publically, but you know there will be a wink and a handshake that squashes any such deal

timvp
10-09-2008, 11:48 AM
Gotta love San Antonians. They'd trade the Spurs for an NFL team in a heartbeat, yet they sit and root for the NFL team whose owner is the driving force keeping San Antonio from getting their own team.

vander
10-09-2008, 01:42 PM
San Diego is doing everything in their power to get rid of the Chargers...

SpursFanFirst
10-09-2008, 01:53 PM
:lmao "Someday..."

Yeah...that's gonna happen.

J.T.
10-09-2008, 02:13 PM
Gotta love San Antonians. They'd trade the Spurs for an NFL team in a heartbeat, yet they sit and root for the NFL team whose owner is the driving force keeping San Antonio from getting their own team.

Considering we're talking about the same people who called Tony Parker a playoff choker and demanded he be traded and then turned around and fellated him on day to day basis after he orchestrated a sweep of the Cavs and won MVP, and also demand Pop be fired if the Spurs dare lose three regular season games in a row...

The Spur-Cowboy fan hybrid is a pretty insane animal. There are a few good ones out there but for the most part...not my kind of sportsfan.

PeterBurns
10-09-2008, 03:23 PM
San Diego is doing everything in their power to get rid of the Chargers...

Nope...all they are doing is trying to use other cities as leverage to get a better deal.

San Diego relocating to San Antonio has about a .005% chance of actually happening.

BlackSwordsMan
10-09-2008, 03:32 PM
Los Spurs football?

baseline bum
10-09-2008, 03:36 PM
Montana would get an NFL team before San Antonio.

kskonn
10-09-2008, 03:42 PM
Nope...all they are doing is trying to use other cities as leverage to get a better deal.

San Diego relocating to San Antonio has about a .005% chance of actually happening.

but your saying there's a chance???:lol

jack sommerset
10-09-2008, 04:18 PM
Football team. No freaken way.

Obstructed_View
10-09-2008, 05:12 PM

I've heard this line before. Can you explain exactly how NOT rooting for the Cowboys will get San Antonio a team earlier? :sleep

The only reason Houston got a team is because they had their shit together and took advantage of the fact that LA thought it was a foregone conclusion that they were going to be awarded the expansion franchise. If San Antonio finds themselves in a similar situation in the future, Jerry Jones won't be able to stop it by himself.

JudynTX
10-09-2008, 05:50 PM

I still hate the Cowboys. :bang:lol

timvp
10-09-2008, 06:56 PM
I've heard this line before. Can you explain exactly how NOT rooting for the Cowboys will get San Antonio a team earlier? :sleepIf all San Antonians stopped watching Cowboys games, stopped buying Cowboy gear and just ignored that team existed, Jerry Jones wouldn't have a market to protect. Right now San Antonio pumps millions of dollars a year in JJ's pockets and he's right to not want to give that up without a fight.

The only reason Houston got a team is because they had their shit together and took advantage of the fact that LA thought it was a foregone conclusion that they were going to be awarded the expansion franchise. If San Antonio finds themselves in a similar situation in the future, Jerry Jones won't be able to stop it by himself.Nah, Houston is a huge market. Much bigger and wealthier than San Antonio. San Antonio could build a state of the art facility but Jones would find a way to block the city from getting a team. He'll smile in front of the camera and pretend he supports San Antonio's dream ... and then turn around and stab San Antonio in the back behind the scenes.

If San Antonians got too mad, he'd placate them by moving training camp here to smooth things over. San Antonians fall for that trick every time :lol

Obstructed_View
10-09-2008, 07:11 PM
If all San Antonians stopped watching Cowboys games, stopped buying Cowboy gear and just ignored that team existed, Jerry Jones wouldn't have a market to protect. Right now San Antonio pumps millions of dollars a year in JJ's pockets and he's right to not want to give that up without a fight.

Yeah, that's going to make Jerry Jones so happy he'll do whatever it takes to make sure San Antonio gets a team. ;)

Unless something has changed about revenue sharing, Jerry Jones gets the same amount of money for a Tony Romo jersey as Dan Snyder does. Jerry has no particular financial interest in the city, beacause most of the unshared revenue comes from local broadcasting and stadium revenue. You're usually pretty up to date on stuff like this, so feel free to tell me what I'm missing.

If the NFL loses the salary cap next year the league will become like major league baseball and San Antonio won't want a team by then. Nobody will be able to out-spend the Jones, new stadium in hand, for talent.

Evan
10-09-2008, 07:19 PM
Unless something has changed about revenue sharing, Jerry Jones gets the same amount of money for a Tony Romo jersey as Dan Snyder does.

Redskins and the Cowboys technically are not part of revenue sharing like everyone else. They give more than anyone else but they also keep more. This started when the Cowboys signed that huge Pepsi deal in the 90's.

Regardless....of course a team gets more money when it sells more items.

If the NFL loses the salary cap next year the league will become like major league baseball and San Antonio won't want a team by then. Nobody will be able to out-spend the Jones, new stadium in hand, for talent.

The non salary cap years are not the free for all people think they are. The uncapped money only applies to specific players who have specific tenures which are 6 year players.

Besides there are safe guards in place to protect this. The top 8 teams in the league have spending restrictions during the non cap years.

samikeyp
10-09-2008, 07:26 PM
Considering we're talking about the same people who called Tony Parker a playoff choker and demanded he be traded and then turned around and fellated him on day to day basis after he orchestrated a sweep of the Cavs and won MVP, and also demand Pop be fired if the Spurs dare lose three regular season games in a row...

The Spur-Cowboy fan hybrid is a pretty insane animal. There are a few good ones out there but for the most part...not my kind of sportsfan.

As long as I am one of the few. :lol

Sadly though, you are right, there are a bunch of them that even I don't like.

jack sommerset
10-09-2008, 08:39 PM
Its simple. SA does not have enough money or people to support a NFL team. They really should have gotten a MLS team. 18 to 20 thousand seats. The Mexicans alone could fill those seats. Pricing is pretty reasonable.

bresilhac
10-09-2008, 10:16 PM
What a bunch of negative-minded losers. The posts on this thread lead me to actually believe that the members of this forum have a massive, collective inferiority complex. Even when the fucking commissioner comes to town and validates that the city is on the map for a team eventually, nobody on this board buys into it. It's all Dallas this, and Jerry Jones that wah, wah, wah. Wakeup people! San Antonio is big and enough rich for a team.

And for those of you that feel that San Antonio lacks the clout to support a team of its own just look at little Jacksonville or Buffalo or Green Bay or Nashville etc, etc. None of these towns are as rich and as big as San Antonio yet all have NFL teams. The bottom line here is that if you're raised to be small-minded and narrow-minded that's how you will always think. Unfortunately San Antonio is cursed to be riddled with people of this type of mentality. And the majority of replies on threads like this clearly reflect that mentality.

Obstructed_View
10-09-2008, 10:16 PM
Redskins and the Cowboys technically are not part of revenue sharing like everyone else. They give more than anyone else but they also keep more. This started when the Cowboys signed that huge Pepsi deal in the 90's.
The way I understand it, the bottom 15 or so teams don't have to contribute to the revenue sharing, but every team gets the same split. There was a fight a couple of years ago where some of the smaller teams wanted the top earning teams to put more money in than everyone else and get the same. I could be wrong, but I don't think that went through.

And a court decided that any team is allowed to do what Jerry did. It's for local stadium deals only, which is what I referred to earlier. The Nike deal was for apparel for anyone that wasn't a player or coach, so it wouldn't interfere with the Reebok deal for all the NFL teams. It has nothing to do with Cowboys logo gear, which as NFL branded merchandise, is split equally between the teams. Therefore, Jerry Jones gets the same amount when someone in San Antonio buys a Cowboys jersey or a Seattle Seahawks jersey.

Obstructed_View
10-09-2008, 10:19 PM
What a bunch of negative-minded losers. The posts on this thread lead me to actually believe that the members of this forum have a massive, collective inferiority complex. Even when the fucking commissioner comes to town and validates that the city is on the map for a team eventually, nobody on this board buys into it. It's all Dallas this, and Jerry Jones that wah, wah, wah. Wakeup people! San Antonio is big and enough rich for a team.

And for those of you that feel that San Antonio lacks the clout to support a team of its own just look at little Jacksonville or Buffalo or Green Bay or Nashville etc, etc. None of these towns are as rich and as big as San Antonio yet all have NFL teams. The bottom line here is that if you're raised to be small-minded and narrow-minded that's how you will always think. Unfortunately San Antonio is cursed to be riddled with people of this type of mentality. And the majority of replies on threads like this clearly reflect that mentality.

San Antonio has had trouble selling out playoff games for the most successful franchise in sports over the last decade. Maybe chest-beating isn't what the city needs. Best case scenario, they won't get a team for the next ten years, and Jerry Jones may not even be around then to blame for things that he has nothing to do with.

bresilhac
10-09-2008, 10:27 PM
San Antonio has had trouble selling out playoff games for the most successful franchise in sports over the last decade. Maybe chest-beating isn't what the city needs. Best case scenario, they won't get a team for the next ten years, and Jerry Jones may not even be around then to blame for things that he has nothing to do with.

So because the Spurs couldn't sell a few single seat tickets at the last minute the city should not get an NFL team? That doesn't follow. There are scant few teams in major league sports that can boast of absolute perfect attendance at all games. It's ridiculous to even consider that that's why San Antonio should not have an NFL team. But I do agree that the myth that Dallas' Jerry Jones is the real reason why San Antonio does not have a team currently is just that, a myth. At last check the Cowboys were the most profitable team in the league. A San Antonio based franchise wouldn't even put a dent in that.

Evan
10-09-2008, 10:47 PM
The way I understand it, the bottom 15 or so teams don't have to contribute to the revenue sharing, but every team gets the same split. There was a fight a couple of years ago where some of the smaller teams wanted the top earning teams to put more money in than everyone else and get the same. I could be wrong, but I don't think that went through..

I am not saying you're wrong because I am not sure I am right...I think we're both half right. hah

I am not 100% sure how it works but I am 100% certain the Cowboys and redskins have a unique revenue sharing structure. I believe they are locked into a minimum league contribution that pays more into the pool than anyone else but allows them to reap the biggest rewards. The risk is them having a down year sales wise but it doesn't matter because they would still have to pay a minimum percentage as if they were still a part of the revenue sharing agreement.

Obstructed_View
10-09-2008, 10:48 PM
So because the Spurs couldn't sell a few single seat tickets at the last minute the city should not get an NFL team?
It was more than that, and yes, it means the NFL should be really wary about fan support before putting a team in the city that's might win ten games in its first four or five years. If San Antonio keeps up growth and management and can continue to find ways to attract higher paying jobs, then they are well on their way, but being unrealistic or being a blind optimist aren't helpful to the cause any more than whining about how it's Jerry's fault that the city doesn't already have a team.

IronMexican
10-09-2008, 10:50 PM
It will never happen. Best shot was before the Texans and with the Saints after the hurricane. LA will get a team first.

Fucking Raiders or bust for myself. I wont support any other team here.

Obstructed_View
10-09-2008, 10:52 PM
I am not saying you're wrong because I am not sure I am right...I think we're both half right. hah

I am not 100% sure how it works but I am 100% certain the Cowboys and redskins have a unique revenue sharing structure. I believe they are locked into a minimum league contribution that pays more into the pool than anyone else but allows them to reap the biggest rewards. The risk is them having a down year sales wise but it doesn't matter because they would still have to pay a minimum percentage as if they were still a part of the revenue sharing agreement.

Yeah, It's frustrating because it's hard to find up-to-date information about it. I'm going mostly on memory supplemented by news reports that are several years old. If I find any current information whether or not the Cowboys make more money off the sale of their own merchandise than they do anyone else's, I'll post it up.

Evan
10-09-2008, 10:59 PM
Yeah, It's frustrating because it's hard to find up-to-date information about it. I'm going mostly on memory supplemented by news reports that are several years old. If I find any current information whether or not the Cowboys make more money off the sale of their own merchandise than they do anyone else's, I'll post it up.

Thats exactly what I am going by. A conversation on the radio from about 5 years ago in Dallas. Guess the NFL wants to keep this pretty tight.

If you remember please post and I will do the same. I'm pretty interested in this now.

bresilhac
10-09-2008, 11:04 PM
It was more than that, and yes, it means the NFL should be really wary about fan support before putting a team in the city that's might win ten games in its first four or five years. If San Antonio keeps up growth and management and can continue to find ways to attract higher paying jobs, then they are well on their way, but being unrealistic or being a blind optimist aren't helpful to the cause any more than whining about how it's Jerry's fault that the city doesn't already have a team.

I just disagree that San Antonio, a city of over 2 million people, could not possibly fill up the Dome for 10 games a year. Man it's a no brainer and goes back to that inferior thinking I referred to earlier. With proper marketing and promotion filling the dome would be relatively easy. And it's hardly unrealistic or being blindly optimistic to think that San Antonio can do what other considerably smaller NFL markets are currently doing. You underestimate the wherewithal of the San Antonio football fan.

Evan
10-09-2008, 11:04 PM
Fucking Raiders or bust for myself. I wont support any other team here.

Can't blame you.

I honestly feel for Raider and Lions fans...passionate fan base that have seen their beloved franchise wrecked from every angle. To hear that Kiffin is still coaching over the phone is bizarre. Not saying Kiffin is a bad coach because nobody knows that...its just so weird and it never ends.

Crazy how it works...Raiders used to be one of the most hated franchises in sports and now everyone is kind of pulling for them. But the day they become good again, which will happen, they will be hated by everyone else again.

Good day for you though.....:lol

CubanMustGo
10-09-2008, 11:13 PM
I just disagree that San Antonio, a city of over 2 million people, could not possibly fill up the Dome for 10 games a year. Man it's a no brainer and goes back to that inferior thinking I referred to earlier. With proper marketing and promotion filling the dome would be relatively easy. And it's hardly unrealistic or being blindly optimistic to think that San Antonio can do what other considerably smaller NFL markets are currently doing. You underestimate the wherewithal of the San Antonio football fan.

San Antonio is not a city of 2 million (1.3 million, 2007 Census).

San Antonio is a very small media market due to the lack of suburbs. The city itself is larger than Dallas, but there's very little surrounding it relative to large markets.

San Antonio does not have a suitable facility for a modern NFL franchise. Franchises make a good deal of money off their stadia and the luxury boxes, and the Alamodome lacks both.

San Antonio's corporate base is small and unsophisticated. AT&T jumping ship doesn't help.

For all its recent growth, San Antonio is still a thin layer of richers atop a large number of blue collar folks.

You can call me a 'pessimist,' I prefer the term 'realist informed by how the NFL has jerked SA around for decades.'

IronMexican
10-09-2008, 11:56 PM
Can't blame you.

I honestly feel for Raider and Lions fans...passionate fan base that have seen their beloved franchise wrecked from every angle. To hear that Kiffin is still coaching over the phone is bizarre. Not saying Kiffin is a bad coach because nobody knows that...its just so weird and it never ends.

Crazy how it works...Raiders used to be one of the most hated franchises in sports and now everyone is kind of pulling for them. But the day they become good again, which will happen, they will be hated by everyone else again.

Good day for you though.....:lol

That's the way I look at it. Once we win a Super Bowl(And we will before I die) It will be the greatest experience ever.

DMX7
10-10-2008, 01:38 AM
If all San Antonians stopped watching Cowboys games, stopped buying Cowboy gear and just ignored that team existed, Jerry Jones wouldn't have a market to protect. Right now San Antonio pumps millions of dollars a year in JJ's pockets and he's right to not want to give that up without a fight.

Nah, Houston is a huge market. Much bigger and wealthier than San Antonio. San Antonio could build a state of the art facility but Jones would find a way to block the city from getting a team. He'll smile in front of the camera and pretend he supports San Antonio's dream ... and then turn around and stab San Antonio in the back behind the scenes.

If San Antonians got too mad, he'd placate them by moving training camp here to smooth things over. San Antonians fall for that trick every time :lol

LOL. Training camp is already moving here next year, but you're dead right about everything else.

Buddy Holly
10-10-2008, 07:02 AM
People get too emotionally invested in this topic.

Bottom line, San Antonio has a very slim to none chance of being awarded an expansion team.

The best bet, the only real way, for San Antonio is relocation, more specifically, a Clay Bennett type of relocation.

People need to stop saying San Antonio deserves a NFL team, it doesn't. Actually, no city deserves a sports team.

They're sports teams, either you have one or you don't. You don't deserve one, you're not entitled to one.

At the same time, people need to stop saying San Antonio couldn't support one.

Though, let's get into some facts for a second.

At 2.1 million, the San Antonio metro area is larger than Jacksonville, Nashville, New Orleans, Charlotte, Buffalo.

In 2007, San Antonio was the 10th fastest growing metro area in the country. Not city, metro area. SA was third in city growth.

Extra Stout
10-10-2008, 08:09 AM

Bottom line, San Antonio has a very slim to none chance of being awarded an expansion team.

The best bet, the only real way, for San Antonio is relocation, more specifically, a Clay Bennett type of relocation.

People need to stop saying San Antonio deserves a NFL team, it doesn't. Actually, no city deserves a sports team.

They're sports teams, either you have one or you don't. You don't deserve one, you're not entitled to one.

At 2.1 million, the San Antonio metro area is larger than Jacksonville, Nashville, New Orleans, Charlotte, Buffalo.

In 2007, San Antonio was the 10th fastest growing metro area in the country. Not city, metro area. SA was third in city growth.
I am both surprised and impressed by this post. You pretty much nailed it. :tu

Gunnery Sgt Hartman
10-10-2008, 08:52 AM
HOLY DOGSHIT!!! Only steers and queers come from San Antonio!!!

Private Joker
10-10-2008, 08:54 AM
Is that you John Wayne, is this me?

Private Pyle
10-10-2008, 09:19 AM
This is my rifle. There are many like it but this one is mine. My rifle is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. Without me, my rifle is useless. Without my rifle I am useless. I must fire my rifle true. I must shoot straighter than my enemy, who is trying to kill me. I must shoot him before he shoots me. I will. Before God I swear this creed: my rifle and myself are defenders of my country, we are the masters of our enemy, we are the saviors of my life. So be it, until there is no enemy, but peace. Amen.

bresilhac
10-10-2008, 05:34 PM

A very well researched and well put post. Thanks for the info.

Biernutz
10-10-2008, 08:51 PM
Jerry Jones will never let San Antonio get a NFL team. I don't care what they say in the media SAT is a money maker for the Cowboys. We need to throw the boys out of the dome and stop rooting for the Texans. We need to go our own way and throw both of them out and if we don't get a NFL team there are other sports out there. We need to get our lips off their ass.

Evan
10-10-2008, 09:16 PM
Jerry Jones will never let San Antonio get a NFL team.

Actually I can't fathom the Cowboys doing anything to stop it. Texans would do it for them.They would be far more affected by it than the Cowboys.

Biernutz
10-10-2008, 09:23 PM
Actually I can't fathom the Cowboys doing anything to stop it. Texans would do it for them.They would be far more affected by it than the Cowboys.

San Antonio has the more Cowboy fans than Dallas has. If you ask someone in SAT who their favorite team is Cowboys is the first choice. In Dallas there is A large amount of people who moved their from other areas of the country with other NFL teams they follow.

Buddy Holly
10-10-2008, 09:56 PM
Jerry Jones will never let San Antonio get a NFL team. I don't care what they say in the media SAT is a money maker for the Cowboys. We need to throw the boys out of the dome and stop rooting for the Texans. We need to go our own way and throw both of them out and if we don't get a NFL team there are other sports out there. We need to get our lips off their ass.

It's a good thing Jerry Jones isn't the end all be all in the NFL.

He may scare you, but he doesn't scare me. :nope

Buddy Holly
10-10-2008, 09:57 PM
I am both surprised and impressed by this post. You pretty much nailed it. :tu

To be honest. I was surprised when I saw you had responded fairly quickly after me. I thought you had bashed what I posted and I thought I was going to have to defend what I said. :lol

Buddy Holly
10-10-2008, 09:58 PM
San Antonio has the more Cowboy fans than Dallas has. If you ask someone in SAT who their favorite team is Cowboys is the first choice. In Dallas there is A large amount of people who moved their from other areas of the country with other NFL teams they follow.

San Antonio has more Cowboy fans than Dallas? What? :lol:lol

Anti.Hero
10-10-2008, 10:01 PM

Jerry Jones.

Business Man.

One of the most influential people in the NFL.

Business Man.

2+2.

Evan
10-10-2008, 10:08 PM

You're right...but the Texans have the territory issue. You would think it would hurt the Texans bottom line more than Dallas.

ALWAYS bet on BLACK
10-10-2008, 10:38 PM
I just dont think San Antonio can financially support another sports team.
The city may be growing but its growing because of all the teen pregnancies...that only tightens budgets. not too much extra cash to spend a few bills to watch a nfl game at the dome...

Buddy Holly
10-11-2008, 11:16 AM
The city may be growing but its growing because of all the teen pregnancies...that only tightens budgets. not too much extra cash to spend a few bills to watch a nfl game at the dome...

You're such a moron it's scary. :bang

FYI, teen pregnancies in San Antonio are DOWN, way down. :lol

Edit: Oops... this is one of Mouse's screen names. I should have known. Damnit, I've been had!

bresilhac
10-12-2008, 05:06 AM

Wow. What an incredibly stupid post. San Antonio is growing because of teen pregnancies? Unbelievable. You don't suppose San Antonio's rapid growth has anything at all to do with the influx of military personnel and their families or in-state transplants and their families or out of state people along with their families do you? No that couldn't be it.

San Antonio will get an NFL team within three years. And what's more she will get one before Los Angeles. As did Houston. IMO either the Chargers or Saints will move here eventually.

GuerillaBlack
10-12-2008, 04:34 PM
i highly doubt SA gets a team. For one, the city (metro area) is pretty low on disposable income. SA is a "poor" big city. Also, McNair and Jones won't let it happen.

And good luck at getting the Saints or Chargers. That's never going to happen.

Obstructed_View
10-12-2008, 04:41 PM
I have yet for anyone to explain who Jerry cares enough to bother blocking it. Nobody has submitted a single example of his bank account being affected by whether or not San Antonio has a team.

T Park
10-12-2008, 04:53 PM
Goodell also dismissed the notion that Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones and Houston Texans owner Bob McNair would block any attempt to grant Texas a third team.

“I don’t think they would,” Goodell said. “I think they recognize the great passion of the fans here.”

I think Goodell feels the whole city of SA has the word SAP written all of our heads.

GuerillaBlack
10-12-2008, 04:58 PM
I have yet for anyone to explain who Jerry cares enough to bother blocking it. Nobody has submitted a single example of his bank account being affected by whether or not San Antonio has a team.

Can you not just think about it for yourself? It's quite obvious.

Obstructed_View
10-12-2008, 04:59 PM
Can you not just think about it for yourself? It's quite obvious.

If it's so obvious, then you should have no problem explaining it to me.

GuerillaBlack
10-12-2008, 05:47 PM
If it's so obvious, then you should have no problem explaining it to me.

Are you a child?

Think about it. If Jerry Jones has a huge Cowboys fanbase down in San Antonio and the Cowboys have training camp there (except for this year), why would he want another team coming into SA and making their home there?

It's not too hard to figure out.

Obstructed_View
10-12-2008, 06:24 PM
Why would he care? He's got a contract to be there for the next four years. If there's a team in San Antonio today, the Cowboys still have training camp there.

GuerillaBlack
10-12-2008, 07:41 PM
Why would he care? He's got a contract to be there for the next four years. If there's a team in San Antonio today, the Cowboys still have training camp there.

Do the Dolphins have training camp in Jacksonville?

And why would he care? Well, because he is losing a medium-sized market basically. A new team in SA would take away a lot of the Cowboys market. Not to mention some in the Rio Grande Valley.

mFFL03
10-13-2008, 12:08 AM
romo is definitely a turn on for hispanics and latinos while jerry is a turn off.

I think it's time for SA to have their NFL team. They could easily court the south texas, SA, and Mexican fanship.

For everyone saying that SA isn't big enough. It isn't. But you are courting the hispanics of SA, mcallen, brownsville, border cities of mexico, laredo, and even el paso.

Cowboys? Aren't they worth more than any other sports team on earth? I'm sure they can afford to lose the southern part of texas and part of mexico.

Unless of course Jerry thinks that half of his money will be lost JUST because of the latino influence.

As for Houston.....come on, aren't they one of the top 5 metros in the nation? I'm sure they can sustain themselves.

Obstructed_View
10-13-2008, 10:17 AM
Do the Dolphins have training camp in Jacksonville?

And why would he care? Well, because he is losing a medium-sized market basically. A new team in SA would take away a lot of the Cowboys market. Not to mention some in the Rio Grande Valley.

The Rams have camp in Packerland, the Giants are somewhere upstate close to Buffalo. Aren't the Cowboys going to worry about that Oxnard fanbase when they come back to San Antonio? Answer: Not at all.

You still haven't mentioned how, with the current revenue sharing deal, the bottom line of the Cowboys, whose market is essentially global, is damaged by San Antonio having a team.

bresilhac
10-13-2008, 11:08 AM
Certainly having a third NFL team in Texas would siphon away many of the fans of the current two teams in the state. That would be expected. But a team in San Antonio definitely would not do so much damage to the Cowboys or Texans as to make them so unsuccessful as to be financially insolvent or anything of that nature.

Dallas and Houston are both in the top ten of revenue producing teams in league. With Dallas being number one and the Texans being number six. Having a team in San Antonio would not change that in any way I don't think. IMO San Antonio's team would have a negligible impact on the other two Texas teams financially in the both the short and long term.

fyatuk
10-13-2008, 11:10 AM

There's a clause in that contract to allow for kicking the Cowboys out if SA gets a team, so that's not accurate.

samikeyp
10-13-2008, 11:11 AM
Certainly having a third NFL team in Texas would siphon away many of the fans of the current two teams in the state. That would be expected. But a team in San Antonio definitely would not do so much damage to the Cowboys or Texans as to make them so unsuccessful as to be financially insolvent or anything of that nature.

Dallas and Houston are both in the top ten of revenue producing teams in league. With Dallas being number one and the Texans being number six. Having a team in San Antonio would not change that in any way I don't think. IMO San Antonio's team would have a negligible impact on the other two Texas teams financially in the both the short and long term.

Well said. :toast

Obstructed_View
10-13-2008, 11:16 AM
There's a clause in that contract to allow for kicking the Cowboys out if SA gets a team, so that's not accurate.

Wow, I'm surprised San Antonio would think they had a chance at a team in the next four (?) years, but it's smart to have it there just in case. That gives Jerry Jones the first actual concrete reason to possibly block a San Antonio team, but it's not a very big reason.

Extra Stout
10-13-2008, 11:22 AM
Wow. What an incredibly stupid post. San Antonio is growing because of teen pregnancies? Unbelievable. You don't suppose San Antonio's rapid growth has anything at all to do with the influx of military personnel and their families or in-state transplants and their families or out of state people along with their families do you? No that couldn't be it.

San Antonio will get an NFL team within three years. And what's more she will get one before Los Angeles. As did Houston. IMO either the Chargers or Saints will move here eventually.
bresilhac's meltdowns on this subject are highly entertaining. 2011, huh? I can see this becoming like one of those Adventist cults.

2008: The NFL is coming in 2011!
2011: I meant 2012!
2012: My calculations were off... I meant 2020!
2020: San Antonio actually did get a team in 2011, but it was invisible.

bresilhac
10-13-2008, 11:32 AM
bresilhac's meltdowns on this subject are highly entertaining. 2011, huh? I can see this becoming like one of those Adventist cults.

2008: The NFL is coming in 2011!
2011: I meant 2012!
2012: My calculations were off... I meant 2020!
2020: San Antonio actually did get a team in 2011, but it was invisible.

Laugh it up stout. But I'll bet when a team finally begins play in the Dome you'll be the first fan in line for tickets.

Extra Stout
10-13-2008, 11:35 AM
Laugh it up stout. But I'll bet when a team finally begins play in the Dome you'll be the first fan in line for tickets.
Yes, I will ride to the ticket office on my unicorn.

Anti.Hero
10-13-2008, 11:37 AM
When you have a billion dollar stadium to pay off, tell me again how nice it would be to lose your second biggest market....

bresilhac
10-13-2008, 11:41 AM
Yes, I will ride to the ticket office on my unicorn.

My belief that San Antonio will eventually get an NFL team may seem quixotic to you and others like you but that does not detract from the fact that San Antonio is NFL material. Why that's so tough to fathom for people like you I'll never understand.

Obstructed_View
10-13-2008, 11:53 AM
When you have a billion dollar stadium to pay off, tell me again how nice it would be to lose your second biggest market....

Tell me how that market in any way pays for the stadium, please. Does Jerry have a bucket out at training camp for contributions? Is he selling Pepsi and Nikes on the sidelines?

I got one: Ticket revenue from preseason games in San Antonio. I'm not sure, but I'd bet that the teams don't have to share that. When you are sold out of regular season tickets for the next two years, you can't strong-arm the locals into buying exhibition tickets. Jerry could sell preseason tickets anywhere, but San Antonio is close, plus the team's already there, so overhead is low.

Extra Stout
10-13-2008, 12:21 PM
My belief that San Antonio will eventually get an NFL team may seem quixotic to you and others like you but that does not detract from the fact that San Antonio is NFL material. Why that's so tough to fathom for people like you I'll never understand.
See, there's the crux of your neurosis. You have this insatiable need for people to validate the idea that San Antonio could support an NFL team. It's that venerable old San Antonio Inferiority Complex. It's also a rather adolescent set of priorities -- why is being "NFL material" the ne plus ultra of urban achievement? Does Buffalo suck any less because it has the Bills? Pro sports teams are just expensive toys.

fyatuk
10-13-2008, 12:39 PM
Wow, I'm surprised San Antonio would think they had a chance at a team in the next four (?) years, but it's smart to have it there just in case. That gives Jerry Jones the first actual concrete reason to possibly block a San Antonio team, but it's not a very big reason.

Well, considering it was Hardberger overseeing the negotiations and it was back before he had given up on getting an NFL team during his tenure, it's not all that surprising. I'm curious the exact wording since SA might get a UFL team during the term of the lease (not that a startup league is worth kicking the Cowboys out of training camp anyway, just curious if it is possible or was restricted to NFL team).

He'd lose some SA fans that travel to Dallas for games, but more likely than not those would just be absorbed by other Dallas area people. It wouldn't affect his bottom line really, since the vast majority of the funds he gets from SA are from NFL shared coffers.

Mostly I think it'd be just a pride issue. He wouldn't want to lose what he considers one of his markets.

It's irrelevant anyway. A team in San Antonio won't make fiscal sense for the NFL unless an alternative league makes headway, or SA just gives up watching the NFL. There's no benefit towards the shared income (won't increase TV revenues since SA already provides better ratings than many home markets and SA sets a pretty good pace in merchandise sales), so expansion is out, and relocation seems unlikely since shared revenue might drop if any other team moves here due to the loss of interest in the original market.

fyatuk
10-13-2008, 12:43 PM

Many economic studies agree with you, although show SA being borderline in being able to support an NFL team.

Problem is, what's the incentive for the NFL? SA is good for the threat of relocation, but it's pointless to actually have a team in SA (from the NFL's perspective). If SA gets a team, it'll be because something went horribly wrong somewhere else (a possibility, actually).

Obstructed_View
10-13-2008, 12:46 PM
It's irrelevant anyway. A team in San Antonio won't make fiscal sense for the NFL unless an alternative league makes headway, or SA just gives up watching the NFL. There's no benefit towards the shared income (won't increase TV revenues since SA already provides better ratings than many home markets and SA sets a pretty good pace in merchandise sales), so expansion is out, and relocation seems unlikely since shared revenue might drop if any other team moves here due to the loss of interest in the original market.

The small market TV size might actually help San Antonio to get a team in this regard. You'd also figure that the TV market would stay strong so long as there aren't a lot of blackouts.

As for merchandise, I certainly think there'd be a bump, but the question then raises its head as to whether there's a dip when the team loses 12 games a year for the first five years. If you can't rely on ticket sales to stay strong, then you probably can count on merchandise revenue to drop as well.

jrtexas55
10-14-2008, 01:59 PM
http://www.thesportjournal.org/article/location-model-national-football-league-predicting-optimal-expansion-and-relocation-sites

I would include Austin in the mix for football since most games are played on weekends. The above analysis excludes Austin from SA?:clap

Interesting reading enjoy.

FYI...
http://www.misterpoll.com/polls/189012/results

Tek_XX
10-14-2008, 02:14 PM
By the time San Antonio is considered for a team, Jerry Jones will be out of the picture.

Evan
10-14-2008, 02:23 PM
Lets see…..Buffalo may be on the chopping block if this Canada experiment doesn't work but they will give it at least 2 years.

Raiders want to move but they for sure go to LA if they do.

Rams would likely stay put

Saints will stay put

Jacksonville IMO…if it will ever happen to SA that’s who they would get if it ever happens which I still don’t thin it will.

G-Nob
10-14-2008, 05:16 PM
San Antonio is the leverage city.

*see Marlins and host of others

Biernutz
10-14-2008, 05:49 PM
To get a pro football team in San Antonio-----tear the dome down and start over or spend big $$$ for a remodel? How are we going to pay for it? The motel -Hotel tax is committed for years. Sales tax? how high can we go under state law. Raise taxes on homeowners. Where is the big money coming from? Don't expect the team owners or the NFL to throw in money.

All this talk of SAT getting a team is a moot point as NFL has it's sights on the L.A. area. That's where the next team will go.

bresilhac
10-15-2008, 02:49 AM
See, there's the crux of your neurosis. You have this insatiable need for people to validate the idea that San Antonio could support an NFL team. It's that venerable old San Antonio Inferiority Complex. It's also a rather adolescent set of priorities -- why is being "NFL material" the ne plus ultra of urban achievement? Does Buffalo suck any less because it has the Bills? Pro sports teams are just expensive toys.

If you're so blind as to not be able to see the value of having an NFL team in your community than it would most likely be a huge waste of my time to try to explain to you why NFL teams are so valuable to their respective cities. And if NFL teams weren't such a tremendous boon to their respective cities and so incredibly popular than why is the league so successful in the markets that have them?

If NFL teams were so unimportant and useless around the country the league would fold eventually according to your thinking. Imagine Dallas without the cowboys or New York without big blue. It's stupid and ridiculous to consider. They both have wonderful cultural and arts attractions as well as great park systems. But would they be anymore attractive places to live if they did not have have NFL teams?

fyatuk
10-15-2008, 09:37 AM
To get a pro football team in San Antonio-----tear the dome down and start over or spend big $$$ for a remodel? How are we going to pay for it? The motel -Hotel tax is committed for years. Sales tax? how high can we go under state law. Raise taxes on homeowners. Where is the big money coming from? Don't expect the team owners or the NFL to throw in money.

All this talk of SAT getting a team is a moot point as NFL has it's sights on the L.A. area. That's where the next team will go.

They could increase the rate of the visitor tax beyond what it currently is (county) or the city could impose it's own, so it's not entirely accurante to say that's committed. The tax that currently exists is committed, but if it wasn't committed, it wouldn't exist, so that's not really saying anything.

The maximum sales tax rate is 8.25% (of which the first 6.25% is state tax). SA's rate currently appears to be 8.125% (I honestly don't pay much attention and always assume to legal maximum when I'm buying crap), so that leaves a 0.125% possible sales tax hike (I believe that's what paid the original $186 mil for the Alamodome).

I believe there are restrictions preventing use of property tax money on sports teams, but I may not be right no that.

The NFL would throw in money. They throw in some money for any stadium construction. It just most likely wouldn't be all that significant ($20 mil or whatever as a grant and up to $300 million loan to the team). Of course, the G3 fund is basically toasted from it's contributions to Giants/Jets, Cowboys, Colts, Chiefs, etc, that have built or renovated stadiums in recent years. Just saying, with the NFL there's at least token funding.

Extra Stout
10-15-2008, 06:13 PM
If you're so blind as to not be able to see the value of having an NFL team in your community than it would most likely be a huge waste of my time to try to explain to you why NFL teams are so valuable to their respective cities.
This is the part where bresilhac foams at the mouth again and pretends there is some real economic benefit to having an NFL team other than, "OOH OOH OOH I REALLY WANT ONE SO BAD ARRGGGGGHHHHH!!!!!" He then will go on to claim that because he REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY WANTS an NFL team so bad that he just lost control of his bowels because he was straining too hard REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY WANTING an NFL team, that therefore the NFL is an indispensable quality of life issue and inseparable part of the identity of major cities, even though at least half their citizens couldn't care less about football, and 90% of those who do will never get to attend a game in person because only businesses and the super-rich can afford tickets.

bresilhac knows that being vigilant against anyone who DARES suggest there could EVER be a higher priority than getting an NFL team, for example, building a decent airport, improving the schools, revitalizing depressed areas including the one around the existing pro sports facility, is critical to getting a team. Because everyone knows that the mere existence of a pro football team magically fixes all that stuff! Look at New Orleans as proof!

Let's face it, the most important quality of life issue in America is being able to make small talk with the stranger next to you about the local NFL team. Making small talk about the local NBA team, the NFL team in a nearby city, or a college team, simply will not do.

Roger Goodell could be reading this very thread, and if bresilhac doesn't keep riding his horse, Goodell will conclude, "Well, maybe San Antonio really doesn't want it bad enough yet." So, keep fighting, brave warrior!

bresilhac
10-15-2008, 10:19 PM
This is the part where bresilhac foams at the mouth again and pretends there is some real economic benefit to having an NFL team other than, "OOH OOH OOH I REALLY WANT ONE SO BAD ARRGGGGGHHHHH!!!!!" He then will go on to claim that because he REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY WANTS an NFL team so bad that he just lost control of his bowels because he was straining too hard REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY WANTING an NFL team, that therefore the NFL is an indispensable quality of life issue and inseparable part of the identity of major cities, even though at least half their citizens couldn't care less about football, and 90% of those who do will never get to attend a game in person because only businesses and the super-rich can afford tickets.

bresilhac knows that being vigilant against anyone who DARES suggest there could EVER be a higher priority than getting an NFL team, for example, building a decent airport, improving the schools, revitalizing depressed areas including the one around the existing pro sports facility, is critical to getting a team. Because everyone knows that the mere existence of a pro football team magically fixes all that stuff! Look at New Orleans as proof!

Let's face it, the most important quality of life issue in America is being able to make small talk with the stranger next to you about the local NFL team. Making small talk about the local NBA team, the NFL team in a nearby city, or a college team, simply will not do.

Roger Goodell could be reading this very thread, and if bresilhac doesn't keep riding his horse, Goodell will conclude, "Well, maybe San Antonio really doesn't want it bad enough yet." So, keep fighting, brave warrior!

Yeah ok. That's quite the amusing diatribe. You should feel better now after all the histrionics. And you call me neurotic? Look, we just disagree on this subject greatly. I'll leave it at that.

Buddy Holly
10-16-2008, 12:42 AM
An NFL team really doesn't bring anything to a city in terms of great direct economic growth (unless you're hosting a SB) or development however, it does bring in the way of exposure and civic pride.

If SA were absent of any professional team, never had one, and was today a 2.1 million metro asking for a NBA team and was told having an NBA team would do nothing for the city, you knowing what you do in reality, know that's a crock of shit.

The Spurs never revitalized the east side, they've never made anyone outside themselves any real money but the fact of the matter is, the Spurs unite this city like nothing else and they have helped showcase this city to international crowds.

Are we a better city because of them? In some ways, no. But in many other ways, Yes.

Clandestino
10-16-2008, 03:01 AM
An NFL team really doesn't bring anything to a city in terms of great direct economic growth (unless you're hosting a SB) or development however, it does bring in the way of exposure and civic pride.

If SA were absent of any professional team, never had one, and was today a 2.1 million metro asking for a NBA team and was told having an NBA team would do nothing for the city, you knowing what you do in reality, know that's a crock of shit.

The Spurs never revitalized the east side, they've never made anyone outside themselves any real money but the fact of the matter is, the Spurs unite this city like nothing else and they have helped showcase this city to international crowds.

Are we a better city because of them? In some ways, no. But in many other ways, Yes.

Yeah, being on tv during all the spurs championships didn't do shit for SA. :rolleyes

Buddy Holly
10-17-2008, 12:34 AM
Did you skim through my post and just adsorb the words or phases you didn't like?

Reread it and tell me I where I said the Spurs don't bring major exposure to the city? Oh that's right, I did.

zubee
10-17-2008, 03:44 AM
They throw in some money for any stadium construction. It just most likely wouldn't be all that significant ($20 mil or whatever as a grant and up to $300 million loan to the team). Of course, the G3 fund is basically toasted from it's contributions to Giants/Jets, Cowboys, Colts, Chiefs, etc.

GuerillaBlack
10-17-2008, 06:39 AM
Yeah, being on tv during all the spurs championships didn't do shit for SA. :rolleyes

Nice of you to not even read what he said.

Extra Stout
10-17-2008, 01:45 PM

This is a pretty decent opinion. San Antonio is wild about the Spurs and the Spurs provide a symbol of unity for the diaspora everywhere. But part of that is because they have been so successful. Part of that is because they are the only pro team in town. Going from zero teams to one has a much larger impact than going from one team to two.

The civic value of the team, to the extent there is one, is that if you see somebody wearing a Spurs hat, you probably can start talking to them about the team, and you've got an instant amigo. There's value in that, I agree.

But the NFL gives you the least bang for your buck. You pay more for a stadium than in any other league, you only get eight regular season home games, and only the upper class and the priority customers of multinational companies ever get to attend games. It's the least accessible of the major leagues.

My experience with the Texans taught me that having the NFL locally isn't all it's cracked up to be. What most Houstonians got for their $350 million in tax money is a pretty nice stadium they only get to see on the inside during the Rodeo, and a joke of a team that simply keeps the local CBS affiliate from being able to show any entertaining AFC games at noon. It's a racket for the owner -- those businesses paid thousands upon thousands of dollars for "licenses" just to buy tickets, and they have to keep buying every year or they lose the money they sunk into the licenses. But a lot of those seats just stay empty because watching the Texans play is a waste of a Sunday afternoon.

In my opinion, the Texans add quantitatively zero to the quality of life in Houston. If anything, they subtract from it. In seven years, in a football-mad city in a football-mad state, they can't even hold a candle to the Astros in popularity in a year when the Astros were an also-ran. You start shooting the bull with the good ol' boys about the Astros, and they'll probably end up buying you a beer. Big 12 football? Same thing. The Texans? That'll turn a lively crowd into something like a morgue.

When you add together the stadium, the ticket guarantees, and the infrastructure improvements, you're talking a bare minimum of $500 million, and probably something closer to $800 million of public money to get a team, with nothing economically tangible to show for it, and relatively little intangible. There are countless better ways to use that kind of money that have a much greater impact on the quality of life of ordinary San Antonians.

GuerillaBlack
10-18-2008, 11:23 AM
Don't know about that. The Texans have added quality of life for me. I like having a home NFL team to root for. Texans games are also entertaining, even if they lose. They were competitive in 2004, and again in 2007, and once again this year. It took time. This team is going to win a couple of games in a row. No one expected them to become a Super Bowl winning franchise the first couple of years in. It's time for more wins now, and that's happening (even this year with our 1-4 record, where we should be 3-2 and at the very least 2-3).

And we got much more with that stadium. Much more. Yes, we get Texans home games and the Rodeo, but we also got a Super Bowl, and are bidding for more. The NCAA Final Four is coming in two years as well, plus some other events down the line at Reliant.

And Houston doesn't have Big 12 football.

I really don't see how having the Texans have subtracted from the quality of life in Houston.

jrtexas55
10-20-2008, 01:57 PM
http://philadelphia.bizjournals.com/philadelphia/othercities/sanantonio/stories/2008/10/20/story1.html?b=1224475200%5E1717579&brthrs=1

jrtexas55
10-20-2008, 02:28 PM
http://philadelphia.bizjournals.com/philadelphia/othercities/sanantonio/stories/2008/10/20/story1.html?b=1224475200%5E1717579&brthrs=1

bresilhac
10-20-2008, 03:37 PM
That's a terrific article. I'm glad to see the Governor is on the same page as the NFL commissioner as far as seeing San Antonio as NFL material. Now let's see if Governor Perry can make that enthusiasm tangible by actually helping San Antonio land a team. The Governor being friends with Dean Spanos certainly doesn't hurt.

Ok, now it's time for the usual nay-saying losers to come on here and contradict the obvious with a litany of negativity by saying San Antonio is: too small, too poor, has too many Dallas fans, not important enough, blah, blah, blah.

GuerillaBlack
10-21-2008, 09:30 PM
That's a terrific article. I'm glad to see the Governor is on the same page as the NFL commissioner as far as seeing San Antonio as NFL material. Now let's see if Governor Perry can make that enthusiasm tangible by actually helping San Antonio land a team. The Governor being friends with Dean Spanos certainly doesn't hurt.

Ok, now it's time for the usual nay-saying losers to come on here and contradict the obvious with a litany of negativity by saying San Antonio is: too small, too poor, has too many Dallas fans, not important enough, blah, blah, blah.

*sigh*

It's not happening.